Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Advice on Photographer Issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

PM'd you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Given that a few people have asked both here and privately, I can stand over the issues spoken about here which can be confirmed by others.
    The photographer is Pat McCoole based in Thurles.
    I think it's fairly obvious that I have spent plenty of time looking for advice, and never came here just to name and shame but as another poster said it's only fair others are warned of his sharp business practices.
    Ours was probably a unique situation but be warned about the amount of deposit paid up front for any service, no matter how comfortable you and your family are made to feel at the time of booking, as until said service and products are handed over they have the upper hand.
    Where we go from here I'm still not sure, run the risk of having our wedding ruined by an argument, cancel and take the hit, or proceed with attempts for a refund

A Google search would indicate there are similar stories out there. In case you are wondering, I don't have any affiliation to the poster on that site. Just a pity it came too late for us and our family. http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/pat-mccoole-recommendation-t287424.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

A Google search would indicate there are similar stories out there. In case you are wondering, I don't have any affiliation to the poster on that site. Just a pity it came too late for us and our family. http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/pat-mccoole-recommendation-t287424.html
    I had a feeling you'd mention that particular name. Just a feeling. I'll tell you two things. Firstly- I heard of one couple (a friend of a friend) who had desperate trouble getting a wedding album from him - tbh, I don't know did they ever manage it or not. My friend had him booked and a deposit paid before she heard of this trouble, and freaked out, much like you- but went ahead with him, because she couldn't afford to lose the deposit.
    When she saw the DVD of the photos, she was so disappointed by them, that she didn't want her wedding album. I haven't seen them, but apparently they're awful (and he Didnt have any axe to Grind with her). Two years on, she still hasn't gone about getting it. I think that's so sad. It's such an important day OP- don't have this hanging over you, and don't take the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

Thank you for sharing OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Given that a few people have asked both here and privately, I can stand over the issues spoken about here which can be confirmed by others.
    The photographer is Pat McCoole based in Thurles.
    I think it's fairly obvious that I have spent plenty of time looking for advice, and never came here just to name and shame but as another poster said it's only fair others are warned of his sharp business practices.
    Ours was probably a unique situation but be warned about the amount of deposit paid up front for any service, no matter how comfortable you and your family are made to feel at the time of booking, as until said service and products are handed over they have the upper hand.
    Where we go from here I'm still not sure, run the risk of having our wedding ruined by an argument, cancel and take the hit, or proceed with attempts for a refund
    How long before we see the pictures after the wedding?
    Your photographs will be available for viewing within 24 hours of the reception.

From his website ..... all I can say is anyone who is capable of turning around wedding photographs within 24hours does not post process them or has a team of people working behind the scenes.

this would have set alarm bells off if it was asked in the photography section of boards PRIOR to booking.

have you tried to complain to
    is a member of the following professional associations:
    Irish Professional Photographers Association
    Master Photographers Association
    Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers
    He has been awarded Licentiates from each of these bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I think you'd be mad to go ahead with him. Your wedding photos are so important and not only does it sound like you won't get great photos, but the day will probably be tainted by the bad blood between him and your family. I know it's a lot of money to lose but I'd be looking for a new photographer asap, regardless of whether you get anywhere with a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think you'd be mad to go ahead with him. Your wedding photos are so important and not only does it sound like you won't get great photos, but the day will probably be tainted by the bad blood between him and your family. I know it's a lot of money to lose but I'd be looking for a new photographer asap, regardless of whether you get anywhere with a refund.

Agree totally. You'll get a disk package elsewhere, add album and prints when you can afford it. After the day is over they'll be the main momento. I wouldn't give the man another cent.

Corkbah wrote: »
    From his website ..... all I can say is anyone who is capable of turning around wedding photographs within 24hours does not post process them or has a team of people working behind the scenes.

this would have set alarm bells off if it was asked in the photography section of boards PRIOR to booking.

have you tried to complain to

Yes we tried complaining to the lippa who were quiet frankly useless saying they had never had an issue with the photographer. It might be worth highlighting the issues found online to them though now. Maybe they would get more involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Yes we tried complaining to the lippa who were quiet frankly useless saying they had never had an issue with the photographer. It might be worth highlighting the issues found online to them though now. Maybe they would get more involved

you should also highlight that you tried to complain to "professional groups" which he is affiliated and their attitude.

I am a professional photographer and find that if a group does something like that ...they are trying to protect their name/reputation but also ignoring the possibility that one or some of them made a mistake at some point and essentially they are reluctant to do what they claim they are doing - holding high standards in photography.

• Advertisement

Just want to follow up with an update on this. In the end, we cancelled our contract with Pat McCoole Photography. We had asked for the album we had selected initially, as a gesture of good will against the deposit, at which stage we would part ways. He seemed willing to do this but as he had also seen this thread, asked for it to be removed as part of the deal. However after some things he said on the phone to my wife, we decided to take the hit and not have any further dealings with him at all.

It turned out to be one of the best decisions we made and ended up using a local husband/wife pairing who couldn't have been nicer to us. They did an engagement shoot, to get us a bit more relaxed with them and look at any particular shots we wanted. The day went off without a hitch and my wife was so comfortable with them, which shows in the photos. An extra special touch was an unexpected appearance during the day-after party to give us a canvas print of a special shot as a gift to us. All this without any deposit required and booking just a few weeks before the wedding.

We got our photos a few weeks after getting back from Honeymoon and have since gone back for a studio shoot at Xmas. I would like to thank everyone here for their advice and must say that, between them and you, my faith in photographers has been repaired. Hopefully no one else will have any bad experiences dealing with Pat McCoole, but i very much doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭dazberry

Since then it transpired that the photographer dragged his heals when it came to their album. Im sure such things happen from time to time, however, this photographer has in the last month stopped taking their calls and blocked their emails. (They had to ring from a new number at one stage which he answered and promised to ring back, which he did not). They have now had to go down the legal route.

Sorry to pull back up this thread. Johnny_adidas did your fiancé's sister even get any resolution with that photographer. Unfortunately we are in the same position since 2012 and with the absence of any returned calls or emails I feel we have little alternative now but to go down the legal route.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

dazberry wrote: »
    Sorry to pull back up this thread. Johnny_adidas did your fiancé's sister even get any resolution with that photographer. Unfortunately we are in the same position since 2012 and with the absence of any returned calls or emails I feel we have little alternative now but to go down the legal route.

D.

HOLY LIATHROIDÍ! Legal route ASAP my friend. :O

AoifeCork wrote: »
    HOLY LIATHROIDÍ! Legal route ASAP my friend. :O

Well when I say since 2012, I mean that we got married in 2012, we are approaching our 2nd anniversary, the last contact we had was last christmas only because we spotted him in a local pub and collared him. Regrettably without any engagement there's little else I can do at this point but start down the legal route.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Well when I say since 2012, I mean that we got married in 2012, we are approaching our 2nd anniversary, the last contact we had was last christmas only because we spotted him in a local pub and collared him. Regrettably without any engagement there's little else I can do at this point but start down the legal route.

D.

I think AoifeCork understood that bit when she said
    HOLY LIATHROIDÍ! Legal route ASAP my friend

2 years waiting for your photos is off the scale of unacceptably late. We had ours within a month, the photo album within 3 months.

The last contact you had was 8 months ago! And only happened because you bumped into him! Have you been chasing him regularly for the past 2 years? What has he said? Has he ever given a reason for the delay?

If you have been chasing him and he's been ignoring you, then take the legal route ASAP. If it's a case of neither side really been engaging with each other, try and speak with him (I assume since he's a local, he's easy to find) and sort it out first.

Sister-in-law got a solicitor involved and went down the Small Claims route. As they had a contract in place and album was never provided by the photographer, they had a valid claim. They eventually got it, as part of a settlement rather than day in court.

I have since spoken to someone else who also had a problem with Pat McCoole and spent the day outside his house/business in Thurles until it was sorted.

I would certainly be going down the Small Claims route at this stage.
    You could however file the claim yourself. The registrar in Clonmel, for example, is very helpful and may be able to negotiate a settlement before going to court.
    This would save you wasting any further money on him (employing a solicitor).

Bacchus wrote: »
    The last contact you had was 8 months ago! And only happened because you bumped into him! Have you been chasing him regularly for the past 2 years? What has he said? Has he ever given a reason for the delay?

While we dragged our feet the first 5/6 months ourselves, I managed to get to speak to him twice since the wedding. The first time was a year ago when we were attempting to get a CD of the photos as to make a selection where he was apologetic about the delay and sent it immediately. The last was by chance in the arch late last year where he claimed he had lost a quantity of email due to an issue with his mail hosting provider, and I had to resend the selection of photos we wanted included.

The majority of emails I have sent him have returned read receipt notification, but none have been replied to. The last email I sent was around 6 weeks ago the last time I rang was last week. Anyway, that's all incidental, I've been extremely matter of fact in the last few correspondences and there is no where for me left to go with this but legal.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...

D.

Do ye have the photos so? You say he sent a CD with the photos? So is it just that you've paid for him to create an album but he hasn't delivered on that? Considering he has been ignoring you, go the legal route. Or, you could cut your losses and get an album made elsewhere. I suppose it depends on the costs incurred and/or if you want to follow through out of principle.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Do ye have the photos so? You say he sent a CD with the photos? So is it just that you've paid for him to create an album but he hasn't delivered on that? Considering he has been ignoring you, go the legal route. Or, you could cut your losses and get an album made elsewhere. I suppose it depends on the costs incurred and/or if you want to follow through out of principle.

Well not exactly, we have a CD with low(er) resolution copies of the photos, which we were to use as a reference and select a specific number for inclusion in the actual album(s), which we did last September (and resent list in December). On cost alone it's not something I would be prepared to write off :(

D.

Well not exactly, we have a CD with low(er) resolution copies of the photos, which we were to use as a reference and select a specific number for inclusion in the actual album(s), which we did last September (and resent list in December). On cost alone it's not something I would be prepared to write off :(

D.

Ah that sucks. Best of luck getting your photos. Go the legal route and be proactive about it. Yer man probably thinks it's been 2 years, they haven't bothered me much, forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 donnapuppy

We got married in2012 too and have no album. We went through small claims court with McCoole, he didn't engage with small claims court and the sherif had to get involved. Only this week he has agreed to pay us back the full sum in monthly instalments. I feel sorry for him as he much have serious financial problems but at the same time an apology or even an email from him would be nice.
    The small claims court and sherif have been brilliant and so easy to deal with for such a small fee.

donnapuppy wrote: »
    We got married in2012 too and have no album. We went through small claims court with McCoole, he didn't engage with small claims court and the sherif had to get involved. Only this week he has agreed to pay us back the full sum in monthly instalments. I feel sorry for him as he much have serious financial problems but at the same time an apology or even an email from him would be nice.
    The small claims court and sherif have been brilliant and so easy to deal with for such a small fee.

Thanks very much for the details donnapuppy. It is a shame that it had to come to that, I guess it's time to get things moving in that direction so.

D.

I don't know how anyone caught up with this guy could feel sorry for him!

He should get his financial issues in order before taking bookings and deposits from people. At the very least he shouldn't be offering albums when he has no intention of fulfilling the order.

From the various stories it would appear he is quite happy to shaft people, knowing full well the only outlay is the cost of fuel to the venue and a disk with low res photos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

And there is still a girl over on weddingsonline who he has been recommended to!!! Beggars belief!

pooch90 wrote: »
    And there is still a girl over on weddingsonline who he has been recommended to!!! Beggars belief!

I saw that alright and another girl on that thread going the legal route with him now.
    I know my husband can't understand my sympathy for him either but he had a great reputation a few years ago and something must have happened to change that, not saying it's an excuse for his behaviour but it's just sad to see a career ruined by greed

I must say I'm so glad now that we took the hit and didn't remove this thread, as he was demanding. It was worth it if we have managed to get our story across to even one person from here or weddingsonline.ie. We may have saved them a lot of trouble and disappointment which would only serve as a bad memory of a day that should to be everything but

Well in the buy on-line section of his website there are ~166 couples and while I would hope that the majority of those are happy with his service, that amounts to a lot of money over the last few years. So that begs the question as to how many of us fell between the cracks as it were and why?

He is an affable guy (when you can get to speak to him) I don't know what has gone wrong, whether they are financial or technical issues, either way going to ground is only making his problems worse he really needs to start engaging with people instead of forcing people down a legal route.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

While I'm not in any way involved in any similar issues myself I'm glad the OP had the guts to name this supplier.
    First thing I did before booking was Google and search boards and other forums for reviews of suppliers. It would certainly have been a deciding factor if I'd read anything similar to this about anyone we had been considering. This thread I'm sure has been helpful to many couples.

I know I wish there had been a post like this when we were looking but 3 years ago when we booked him it was all very positive reviews.
    I will keep ye posted as to whether he complies with the refund payment plan or not. I hope he does cos I am not willing to let this go but hiring a solicitor and actually taking him to court.... I'm imagining all sorts of hassle with him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,898 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

donnapuppy wrote: »

It's great to hear that you've had success with the small claims court, at least you'll eventually get your money back.
    Did he even give you a CD of higher res pics that you could print off yourself? That way even though you didn't get the album, you'd have the option to get one sorted elsewhere.

Advertisement