Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise in pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

cbyrd wrote: »
    I have day 1 2 and 3 plans and i get lots of help with dismantling the wieghts off the bars.. the big muscle guys seem to have a block when it comes to putting them back on the rack :rolleyes: men!!

My pet hate!!! Good lord, drives me batty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

cbyrd wrote: »
    The gym i go to is great.. all the instructors are qualified for pregnant lady workouts.. the only thing i was advised against was core exercise after 12 weeks but i have 3 that are a pilates based that are fine.. !

Im doin weekly p/t sessions im 22 weeks now worked out weekly until 34 weeks on last pregnancy. I do a lot of core exercises plank side plank front plank
    Push ups from bar
    Lots of lunges loaded with kettle bell. Other exercises for my core.
    Its what we concentrated on last time and what we are doin this time.
    I found it helped me great .

I suppose all gym instructors have different methods and exercises.
    However id be curious to know as to why no core exercises after 12 weeks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I wouldn't be convinced that no core exercise at all are recommended, but certain core exercises will put a lot of pressure on your abs and increase the risk of separation (diastasis recti). Any ab compression moves like lying crunches aren't good because being on your back can cause or exacerbate low blood pressure and also the compression isn't good for your already strained abs.

But gentle core work - like the work you do in pregnancy Pilates class - is brilliant and will help you before, during and after labour. Side plans, wall sits, ball squats and pelvic tilts are all fantastic.

Jerrica wrote: »
    I wouldn't be convinced that no core exercise at all are recommended, but certain core exercises will put a lot of pressure on your abs and increase the risk of separation (diastasis recti). Any ab compression moves like lying crunches aren't good because being on your back can cause or exacerbate low blood pressure and also the compression isn't good for your already strained abs.

But gentle core work - like the work you do in pregnancy Pilates class - is brilliant and will help you before, during and after labour. Side plans, wall sits, ball squats and pelvic tilts are all fantastic.

Right o i get you . He does not do cruches with anyone he believes in core stability as opposed to moving your core.

I found recovery strength wise to be good especially as i had a section and having one this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

fall wrote: »
    Anyone do kettle bells during their pregnancy? Some of the work outs on you tube are insane. I don't know if I should keep the class up that I normally do.

I trained with Kettlebells up to 36 weeks on my last pregnancy .. however

1. I trained with the same instructor for 2 years prior (we knew and trusted each other's judgement)
    2. The class was small (think group PT) - geared towards having impeccable technique, rather than just a 'bootcamp' style class where there are 30 people doing high reps of a technical move where there is lots of scope for error therefore injury.
    3. I had some pelvic SI joint pain towards the middle and end of the pregnancy, and found that kb training actually helped me with this issue.

I trained reasonably hard, but I also listened to my body. I truly believe your body will tell you when to reduce intensity and when you need to increase rest and/or reduce sets. Obviously you need to ensure you are healthy and having a low risk pregnancy before embarking on any sort of exercise when pregnant but I would say in the right setting, and using the right moves with common sense, there is no reason not to train with kettlebells! I had no issues with KB swings, goblet squats, deadlifts, cleans, single-leg and single-arm work. The only thing I would watch were complexes (very easy to overheat here) and snatches - they tended to send my pulse sky-rocketing!!

I'd recommend getting a heartrate monitor too - not for that old-school advice to 'keep your heartrate below 140', but to help track how your body is reacting to the exercise on the day, when the numbers are starting to peak, or if your heartrate is higher than normal, it's sometimes a good indication to reduce the intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Thanks Mrs.Whippy. My kettle bell class is small too. I am still doing a weights class and doing squats, dead lifts, lunges etc. I love doing weights and they make me feel mentally and physically strong. My energy is much higher when I exercise. It's great that it is becoming more normal for pregnant women to exercise.

. I love doing weights and they make me feel mentally and physically strong. My energy is much higher when I exercise. It's great that it is becoming more normal for pregnant women to exercise.

Fully agree with you here! I really believe it's the best thing a woman can do for both herself and her baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

It's great that it is becoming more normal for pregnant women to exercise.

Yep it is great :)

I love doing weights and they make me feel mentally and physically strong. My energy is much higher when I exercise. It's great that it is becoming more normal for pregnant women to exercise.

Agree 100% It's so empowering and you know that you're not just doing it for yourself, you're doing it for the baby too!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Totally agree - I'm convinced that exercising throughout my last pregnancy helped me in labour and delivery, helped me recover from a bad tear in no time at all and with no lasting damage and ensured i gained a very healthy amount of weight. Maybe its a coincidence but am hoping for the same this time around!

• Advertisement

Totally agree - I'm convinced that exercising throughout my last pregnancy helped me in labour and delivery, helped me recover from a bad tear in no time at all and with no lasting damage and ensured i gained a very healthy amount of weight. Maybe its a coincidence but am hoping for the same this time around!

Yep I was the same. I had a c-section but was out of hospital after 2 nights, and out walking with the buggy after a week. I put that entirely down to strength training throughout my pregnancy. Not only was it great for my body, my baby (a healthy 7lb 13!) but also my mind! :)

Finding it harder this time to remain consistent with the exercise (so far) since I've a toddler to run around after too, I'm knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I hear ya mrsWhippy! Trying my best but don't think I've been as consistent as I was the last time but still not too bad. Sometimes hard to convince myself to get out after a long day at work and only an hr or 2 with my little man before he goes to bed

God, ye are great to be getting out exercising when you have a little one to look after as well as being pregnant. Inspirational!

I'm still mostly just running. Two weeks ago I got in 18 miles total, and was hoping for 18 again last week, but I just felt terrible from Thursday to Sunday. Got in 3.5 miles Thursday at lunch, and tried for 4-6 on Saturday morning, but after the first 1.5 I had to slow to a walk, I felt terrible. The nausea and constipation have been randomly hitting me recently and saturday was bad for both. Managed to walk 4 miles saturday and about 3 miles sunday. Much better since then, a nice 4 miles at lunch today in the sun :)

olaola wrote: »
    Agree 100% It's so empowering and you know that you're not just doing it for yourself, you're doing it for the baby too!

I think that is the bit a lot of people don't realise, that it is not a vanity thing to keep the weight down, it is also so good for the baby as it is growing and for it's health in the future. As my other half says, I'm already training our future olympian :D

I've switched from pregnancy yoga to pilates, it's glorious :) Everything feels loose and free and I come out of class with a real spring in my step. The yoga is lovely but pilates pushes me a little bit more. Highly recommend it. Planks and push ups are NOT easy with an extra stone of weight hanging off you!!!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/11/20/mothers-exercise-may-boost-babys-brain/

In case you needed more motivation :)

Btw be careful with front planks later in your pregnancy, it can promote a further separation of your abdominal muscles with all that weight bearing down. Side or reverse planks are great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got an upgrade progam yesterday, i have graduated from knee rehab to being able to use the treadmill for fast walking and uphill stuff.. have to be extra careful with the ligament softening, i so miss my old routines.. I'm down from 110kgs leg press to 40.. and no squats or lunges til after the baba.. I miss the boxing and my fitness is not good enough yet for spinning but i'm determined to get there before i can't get on a bike :D

I suppose I should be glad really.. this is my 5th baby and i'm 40 ... I'm also the only pregnant woman in my gym.. :eek: my energy is slowly returning ( I'm 13 weeks tomorrow) and the nausea is mostly easing off now, just the odd crippling day!! :D

As was said in an earlier post limited core work, its mostly to guard against muscle separation later on.. I used to do a shed load of sit-ups with the 16kg ball, 2 person stuff like ball throws and passing the ball, sit-ups with the ball on your head, russian twists, hanging off the bar with the ball between my knees and doing either full leg lifts or knee lifts.. now i just do the roll ups and half sit-ups, V lifts and the best one, the dynamic plank.. ouchies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Well from week 21 or 22 til now (just coming up to 25 weeks) has been a disaster exercise-wise! College was crazy with handing in thesis and then I got strep throat for nearly 2 weeks and there has been zero running. I have a history of a knee dislocation and am starting to find it tough with the extra weight on my joints, no pain but I am just so nervous about re-injuring anything. I feel like I've suddenly got a lot bigger in the past 3 weeks and my balance is being affected too. All good, just getting used to my changing shape :)

So I think I will be sticking to walking and swimming for the next 15 weeks. Man I miss my running though!

Jerrica, pilates sounds really excellent, I'd love to do a course.

Hope everyone is keeping well!

Hey ladies

Did any of ye buy a maternity swimsuit? Are they worth it, like are they really much different to a larger size regular swimsuit? I plan on swimming a lot more towards the end when I can't do other exercise, but I'm not sure if I can justify spending 50-80 quid on one. Also, will it not just stretch like mad anyway when the bump gets bigger?

My other half was saying I should just wear the sports bikinis I already have - my boobs are like five times the size they were! Those little tops will barely cover me nips!

Cheers

Did any of ye buy a maternity swimsuit? Are they worth it, like are they really much different to a larger size regular swimsuit?

Cheers

I just cracked and bought one today! I got it for €28 in mothercare. I love it! It's making its debut tomorrow. I tried on regular larger size swimsuits the other day, and it didn't work because the bump dragged the whole upper half of the swimsuit down, so boobs everywhere. This one has a stretchy panel in the right place that feels like it will have enough room in it for hopefully the next 15 weeks! It also has a tie halterneck, so I can adjust as boobs get bigger along the way. If you can get hold of a reasonably priced halterneck one I'd say they're a good option in this regard.

I did try and just go for bikini option using my normal size bottoms resting under bump, and a bigger bikini top, but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable and supported in my new swimsuit. So for me, totally worth it!

• Advertisement

Cameoette wrote: »
    I just cracked and bought one today! I got it for €28 in mothercare. I love it! It's making its debut tomorrow. I tried on regular larger size swimsuits the other day, and it didn't work because the bump dragged the whole upper half of the swimsuit down, so boobs everywhere. This one has a stretchy panel in the right place that feels like it will have enough room in it for hopefully the next 15 weeks! It also has a tie halterneck, so I can adjust as boobs get bigger along the way. If you can get hold of a reasonably priced halterneck one I'd say they're a good option in this regard.

I did try and just go for bikini option using my normal size bottoms resting under bump, and a bigger bikini top, but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable and supported in my new swimsuit. So for me, totally worth it!

I bought a mothercare one 4 yrs ago got a bit of wear out of it but they dont wear that well .

Saw one in mothercare there about a month ago. Used it once sat in kiddies pool with it and took it out of bag to dry after the swim
    And the bottom of it looked thread bare was not impressed lost the reciept too so could not return it.

But after all that i would reconmend one ( a maternity swimsuit )

Whatever it is about my shape, maternity swimsuits just do not fit me. I've tried Mamas and Papas, H&M, Jojomamanbebe, all to no avail. I've stuck with my pre-pregnancy Dunnes ones - they have a tummy panel that's allowed for an expanding waist and at the 30 week mark they're still doing the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm not sure if Sports Direct deliver to Ireland but I picked up a couple of Slazenger ones from there and they are great, enjoyed a good swimming session today actually! They leave lots of room for bump too.

Just checked and they have lots of stores in Norn Iron so I'm sure they do. And they are soooooooo cheap, swimsuits going for £7 at moment. Just put 'maternity swimwear' in the search bar of www.sportsdirect.com

Thanks for the great replies.

I didn't think of the bump just pulling the whole swimsuit down and off the boobs. That would not be good!

I will go check some out in the shops after all and see how they fit. Might be worth getting a new one if it means I'll be more comfy and go swimming more.

On another point, I went to my first prenatal pilates class today. I'm nearly 22 wks now and have been meaning to go for ages. It's not cheap at $20 a class but I found it very good and a bit tough. There was a range of bump sizes, with one girl quite far along and it was great to see her doing the moves way better than me. I'll be back for more

I used a larger size M&S basic swimsuit. 'Twas perfect!

Yeah the fact that a larger regular swimsuit didn't work for me could just be to do with me! Even though I'm just a bit over 25 weeks I'm told by others my bump is quite big for dates so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts me. The mothercare swimsuit is not the same quality as my speedo one but if it gets me to close enough to 40 weeks it's money well spent for me.

I did an aquafit class today, found it really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Dunnes maternity swimsuit at recommendation of some one on BOARDS - E18, up a size to be sure. So far so good. If lasts the rest of pregnancy, good enough for me! Funny sight though and pool has soooo many mirror! Funny but love it!

73trix wrote: »
    Dunnes maternity swimsuit at recommendation of some one on BOARDS - E18, up a size to be sure. So far so good. If lasts the rest of pregnancy, good enough for me! Funny sight though and pool has soooo many mirror! Funny but love it!

God didnt know dunnes have maternity stuff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

monflat wrote: »
    God didnt know dunnes have maternity stuff ?

Me neither and not sure they do but a Boardsie recommended and yes, it is a "maternity togs" !! Nice big loose belly on it. Been to pool twice, nice n' comfy. :D

• Advertisement

How is your swimming going ladies? Hope ye are enjoying it. I still havent got a swimsuit yet. Can't bring myself to part with like $80+ for one here so might get my Mum to bring me one from Dunnes when she comes over in a few weeks :)

We're getting lovely weather for running here these days, warm and breezy and not yet humid and sticky. Hope to get a few more runs in before the humidity really starts. Now the belly is a bit bigger (23w) I'm needing to make sure I go to the loo a few times before I head out for the run. Nearly got caught short on Tuesday, barely made it back to the loo afterwards!

I want to get one of those belly support bands, feel like I'll need it soon. Any recommendations?

Advertisement