Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

UPDATED 05/08/11 Engagement Rings - READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING!!!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

djpbarry wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way the average person in Ireland takes home €3k per month. Absolutely no way. Hence my surprise that this is considered an average spend for an engagement ring.
    You are very sure of yourself there. Do you have any statistics or is it just intuition? Such statistics are not available in Ireland, so I guess we can leave that point, but my guess (and its only a guess) would be that the average net pay would be somewhere between 2200 and 3000 per month, as much less and you are better on the dole + associated benefits.

Here is a link to the poll results I mentioned. Poll If anything €3000 is at or below the average, with a significant number of people spending €5000+.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    To which my response would be "well go and marry so and so's husband then!" I honestly wouldn't put up with a woman who was concerned with such things - not matter how much you spend, there's always going to be someone who can afford to spend more.

Not that my wife-to-be would ever say such a thing. She knows I couldn't afford to spend several grand on a ring. If I did, my contribution to the wedding itself or a honeymoon would have to take a hit and I'm scrimping and saving every penny I can as it is. The simple fact is I only earn so much and she knows this. If it's cash she's after (and I know she isn't) then she's going to have to find someone else!

Hey everybody is different, and you know your particular circumstances better than anybody on the internet so if a ring is not important to you or your future wife, then yes, you should spend the few thousand on what is important to you.

Very few people, even those who are taking €3000 a month home can just blow a months wages on a ring and live on air. Its something you save up for and make a bit of effort on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

To the mods: this is probably getting a little off-topic, so I’m going to just make this one last post and leave it at that. I think it may be informative for some to know what an average months’ wages is.
    jackal wrote: »
    You are very sure of yourself there. Do you have any statistics or is it just intuition?
    Yep. The most recent figures from the CSO show that the average gross income in Ireland (as of Q1 2012) is just under €36k:

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2012/earnlabcosts_q12012.pdf

So, if the average groom-to-be in Ireland is spending one months’ salary on an engagement ring, that works out at about €2,366 after deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi there

Myself and OH are going to NYC in December.

Are the prices of engagement rings cheaper there than here? Should we aim to buy there?

Are there outlet stores for rings there?

I am looking for white gold, plain band with one small diamond. I am not really fussy and it would be ideal for me if he could spend 1000 or less, about 1500 dollars at moment.

Not even sure if that's possible.

Any advice would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Hi all,
    I am planning on popping the question later this year. We are due to head on Holidays in October to Orlando (we are both into theme parks). Just wondering if anyone would advise trying to buy the ring in Orlando or am I better off just buying at home? I know the dollar exhange rate is favourable but really just want to know if I would get that much of a better deal in the states? Thanks

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,898 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys, just a reminder of the rules for this thread re: mentioning specific shops, I've had to delete a few posts.
    Toots* wrote: »

No Company Names to be Mentioned
    This is as a result of the spam/shill posts that have been problematic in the past. Basically what this thread is for, going forward, is to give/receive advice on the process of buying an engagement ring ie: the 4 Cs, what to watch out for, what kind of ring/stone can you expect to get for €X, buying abroad etc.

POSTERS ARE NOT TO ASK FOR OR GIVE RECOMMENDATIONS OF SHOPS OR WEBSITES ON THIS THREAD If you wish to find out what others think of a particular shop or website, then start a new thread on the main forum. We would also ask that posters please use the 'Search' function for the store/site they are interested in, as a thread may already exist on the topic an your question could be answered there.

If you're not sure whether or not something you would like to post would be against the rules, just send a PM to either Iguana or Toots* and we'll let you know whether or not you can post it.

Also a note for OFFICIAL REPS: you are NOT allowed to post in a thread unless your company name has been specifically mentioned by another poster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anybody hear of the GIE Report?

Gemological Institute of Europe Report that lists the details of the ring.
    just wondering if its equilivant to the GIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Hi all - I am planning on proposing to the GF mid/late next year. I am very fortunate to be in a position to have a budget in the region of €10,000 for a ring. While I've done some research into where is best to buy a ring (e.g. stick to Dublin or go to Antwerp), I would be interested in hearing people's views on this matter.

At my budget, I am just wondering would I be better to go to Antwerp and get even more bang for my buck (given the extra delay, possible that she won't like things she sees etc) or have things improved in Dublin to the extent that at that price, I should get just as good value (as long as I avoid a certain American jeweller on Grafton St!!!). I have friends that go to Dubai frequently also, which could also be an option...

Much appreciated for any general advice, as nothing is better than personal experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miseannmarie

Can anyone advise me if there is a big difference between a GIA cert and a HRd cert please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sean Fantastic

Seeing as diamonds look just like zirconia, is there actually any reason at all in buying a diamond? It's not like you're ever going to sell it and no one will be able to tell the difference really.

If you go down that route then you can go as big as you like and you don't have the worry or concern about losing it.

It's just a thought.

I, myself, bought a diamond ring when I got engaged but I really don't see the value in it now. It seems rather pointless. I also suspect that the margins the jewelers are charging are probably massive.

Advertisement