Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fight Night 57: Edgar v Swanson

• 22-11-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭

UFN_57_event_poster.jpg

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
    • Frankie Edgar vs. Cub Swanson
    • Bobby Green vs. Edson Barboza
    • Brad Pickett vs. Chico Camus
    • Jared Rosholt vs. Oleksiy Oliynyk
    • Joseph Benavidez vs. Dustin Ortiz
    • Matt Wiman vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)
    • Ruslan Magomedov vs. Josh Copeland
    • Luke Barnatt vs. Roger Narvaez
    • James Vick vs. Nick Hein
    • Yves Edwards vs. Akbarh Arreola

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
    • Paige VanZant vs. Kailin Curran
    • Juan Manuel Puig vs. Doo Ho Cho

Looks like its going to be a great event, theres alot of fights im looking forward to so hopefully it turns out to be a barn burner. Really looking forward to the main event for obvious reasons, this is a real test for Frankie at featherweight, Olivera & a terrible Penn with the weirdest guard in UFC history dont compare one bit to Cub, for the pure fact of how much i love Frankie I cant root against him here and say hes going to lose, its 50/50 in my eyes anyway and cub seems to choke against elite level fighters so i can see that happening again here, he doesnt have enough to put Frankie away and Frankie should be able to get the decision and dash Cubs title hopes.

Massive Bobby Green fan and was absolutely gutted for him when he was basically robbed of the Cerrone fight by Alvarez. Done everything for the UFC by stepping in two weeks out form the fight v Stephens and just weeks after his brother was killed in a drive by, massive respect for the man! Barboza is another fighter I love to watch because hes always exciting, without a doubt brings flash knockouts at any opportunity. Tough fight for both fighters but i can see Green coming out on top here again, I think he has all the tools to be a real contender and the bout with Cerrone would have been perfect to show them.

Id be here all day if i was to go through each fight because i like the majority of fighters on the card so i just bolded the ones i think will will, hopefully they dont all win like the last event because i wont be betting again this weekend .....:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Main event is a cracker, really is such a good division with the McGregor factor being the icing on the cake.

So hard to call but agree if Cub can't put Frankie away, which nobody ever has then I think Frankies work rate might edge him a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The womens division is quite interesting....

10330404_899226603436018_3516127380375043722_n.jpg?oh=772af94883fb557dea62c40a4f17ffa8&oe=550DA44B

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

rushes to watch weighins...:eek: from two minutes on for starters :)

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/11/video-ufc-fight-night-57-fighter-weigh-ins-replay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Another split loss for Barnatt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    For apparently being a striker he has the worst striking I have ever seen.

He just not very good every where imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DirkDiggly22

What time will Edgar Swanson fight start?.. Another 4 fights to go after this!.. Hoping for some quick stoppages here..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

They just said less than two hours to go I'd say it could be about a quarter past give depends really the next three if there competitive like lost fights tonight it could be hour and a half away

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Edgar would maul McGregor. That was a masterful performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

It will be v interesting if mcgregor is taken down it's so hard to call seeing as it's never happened him before he could catch Edgar early with a kick and lights out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Like I said a while back I think Frankie, Chad and Jose are a cut above the rest. Lamas might be in that category as well although I haven't really followed him so I can't say. I think Conor beats the rest but when it comes to the big 3/4 I think it'll be too much.

I didn't see the fight but going by the reactions and stats it was complete domination by Frankie.

...Now I think Conor has the next TS in the bag as long as he beats Siver btw, Frankie's the only other contender and he's too quiet to state his case.

...he's too quiet to state his case.
    As you said, you didn't see the fight.
    But Frankie pretty definitively stated his case for a titleshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What a pleasure to watch. A lot of fighters in the UFC give wrestling a bad name by getting a takedown and then not knowing what to do. THAT'S WHAT YOU DO! What a frustrating fight for Cub, the sub at the end was just the cherry on top. I thought Frankie would get the win but not that 1 sided. For me, it was always Aldo and Frank would be the only guys to give Conor trouble but I wasn't fully sure about Edgar, you couldn't really go on his last 'fight' but now I think he's more of a threat than Josey.

Mellor wrote: »
    As you said, you didn't see the fight.
    But Frankie pretty definitively stated his case for a titleshot.

Well he told me!

Still think Conor's favourite once he beats Siver convincingly. There would have been much more pressure for Cub to get one had he won.

If I was match maker, I'd book Aldo v Frankie on UFC185 in March. McGregor in the front row and get him into the octagon afterwards. Face off with Aldo, announce the stadium event in Dublin in August, UFC 190

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That was as close to a perfect performance as you're ever likely to see. Amazing stuff from Frankie.

And I reckon he'd do the exact same to McGregor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Amazing stuff from Frankie, made Cub look like nothing with total domination. Was not expecting him to do that.

It's his shot now for sure.

Aldo vs Frankie

If Conor gets by Siver either he waits for the winner of that or maybe fights Lamas.

Mendes should fight Cub.

Amazing performance from Fankie, hes just a beast when it comes to fighting. Cub choked imo as i said he would, offered little to nothing but that could have been down to how good Frankie looked. Feel bad for Barnatt because hes a nice bloke in person and his last three results could have easily been different, especially his fight in Berlin which was a robbery, I hope he doesnt get cut. I was let down so much by Bobby Green, his gameplan of trying to get Barboza into a dog fight just didnt work, and before it was to late he just wanst aggressive enough!! It was a great card overall, love seeing Frankie fight and hes just put himself into the title picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

ASOT wrote: »
    Feel bad for Barnatt because hes a nice bloke in person

Surprised to see someone on an Irish site saying that about Barnatt. He has said some very insulting things towards Ireland and about Irish people. Doesn't seem like a nice bloke to me at all, cocky and full of himself and can't back it up.

Was delighted to see him lose...again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That was a savage fight for Edgar. Cub started very strong in the first but just lost it as soon as Edgar got that first takedown.

Reckon it'll be Aldo v Edgar and McGregor v Lamas in early/mid-2015 and then another title fight towards the end of the year methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Frankie Edgar has always been one of my favourite fighters in the UFC. Just incredible and absolutely delighted he got the finish.

Reminded me of Dillashaw's performance against Barao. Pure dominance from pillar to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone else think edger v mcgegor would be a great fight

anyone else think edger v mcgegor would be a great fight

Bad matchup for McG unless his ground game and defensive wrestling nicely surprise us. Frankie has outwrestled elite lightweight wrestlers who had 15-20 pounds on him. The way Frankie fights I think Conor would need an early KO.

I like the idea of Edgar/Aldo now and Lamas/McG as the next title eliminator. I'm still hoping that Conor might get the next shot as long as they don't give it to Frankie before the Siver fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Bad matchup for McG unless his ground game and defensive wrestling nicely surprise us. Frankie has outwrestled elite lightweight wrestlers who had 15-20 pounds on him. The way Frankie fights I think Conor would need an early KO.

I like the idea of Edgar/Aldo now and Lamas/McG as the next title eliminator. I'm still hoping that Conor might get the next shot as long as they don't give it to Frankie before the Siver fight.

I wouldn't mind seeing him out wrestled though, I think he needs to prove he can actually grapple before he gets a title shot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Man that was some demolition by Frankie.

I'm imagine McGregor was very scared watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I wouldn't mind seeing him out wrestled though, I think he needs to prove he can actually grapple before he gets a title shot

Why would he? Be nice for him to show he can wrestle, but if finished Siver and Edgar/Mendes/Lamas there would be no denying him the shot

He really doesn't tbh.
    There's no requirement to be a top wrestler/grapple to get a title shot. He doesn't need to prove anything.
    Sure, it would make him a more rounded fighter and definitely increases the general preception of his abilities. But there have been countless grapplers without little or no striking who've gotten shots over the years, no reason why it can't go the other way.

Lamas took out Bermudez.
    Frankie took out Cub.
    Pitting Conor against Frankie isa bad move right now as they are the only credible challengers right now.

Man that was some demolition by Frankie.

I'm imagine McGregor was very scared watching that.

I imagine he was delighted, round by round Frankie was dismantling the largest obstacle to Conor's title shot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mdwexford wrote: »
    Amazing stuff from Frankie, made Cub look like nothing with total domination. Was not expecting him to do that.

It's his shot now for sure.

I wouldn't be certain of that. Frankie has fought Aldo already and while it was relatively competitive fight, it was a comfortable win for Aldo. I think a rematch would go the exact same way to be honest.

Had they not already fought I think he'd definitely get the next shot but he has so I think the UFC will resist putting that fight on again while they have another hot contender ready like McGregor (providing he doesn't slip up against Siver).

• Advertisement

Surprised to see someone on an Irish site saying that about Barnatt. He has said some very insulting things towards Ireland and about Irish people. Doesn't seem like a nice bloke to me at all, cocky and full of himself and can't back it up.

Was delighted to see him lose...again.

Iv met him a few times and he was nothing but nice in person, mainly why I have a soft spot for him. Sound lad when he's on the beer to. Most likely the only person in Ireland who likes him:pax:

Advertisement