Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginning Trad Weight lifting at 44??

• 18-11-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello All,

I am a 44 year old male and I am considering taking up traditional weight-lifting. I have been training with kettlebells, powerclubs, sandbags etc for the past few years but I have very little barbell experience.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, info from experienced weight-lifters out there, particularly any lifters who started in their more "mature" years. I'd also be interested in any suggestions of gyms within a reasonable distance of the Sandymount area in Dublin. I have considered joining Flyefit on Barrow Street. They seem to be well set up for proper weight-lifting but I don't know if I'd get the kind of instruction I'd need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You're never too old to do anything in life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Go really slow.

Invest in at least a few sessions with a trainer who knows what they're doing.

Go really, really slow.

Learn proper technique slowly and cautiously.

Back off a bit and go slower than you think you should.

Honestly - if you're in your 40s and on to make a proper go of this, that's AWESOME. Just don't rush it.

I know that's all doom-y sounding, but I've helped a number of 40+ dudes recently, as have a couple of trainer buddies, and the thing that comes up again and again is that we have to be the part of their brain that says "back off".

You'll be slower to recover and have less margin for error than younger lads - so a more cautious approach is needed.

No one springs to mind around Sandymount, but if Portobello was an option, there's a poster on here called COH who's a trainer in Raw and could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

if you could make ur way into hercules club on lurgan street there are a number of lads ur age and older training youd also get some good instruction

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Thanks guys. I'll check out Hercules and RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

“The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dave 101 wrote: »
    if you could make ur way into hercules club on lurgan street there are a number of lads ur age and older training youd also get some good instruction
    Malpaisian wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'll check out Hercules and RAW.

Don't do that. It's actually potentially dangerous advice.

The lads in Hercs are incredible lifters and around a long time, but they've spent A LOT of time preparing themselves to lift, and arrived at 40+ having lifted for years.

Preparing and assessing someone who's never lifted at that age is a completely different scenario. Some of them are definitely up to it, but what happens if you talk to the wrong guy and follow HIS advise?

You'd be much better suited with a professional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Make sure you get a proper medical before undertaking anything like this,especially at our your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Malpaisian wrote: »
    Hello All,

I am a 44 year old male and I am considering taking up traditional weight-lifting. I have been training with kettlebells, powerclubs, sandbags etc for the past few years but I have very little barbell experience.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, info from experienced weight-lifters out there, particularly any lifters who started in their more "mature" years. I'd also be interested in any suggestions of gyms within a reasonable distance of the Sandymount area in Dublin. I have considered joining Flyefit on Barrow Street. They seem to be well set up for proper weight-lifting but I don't know if I'd get the kind of instruction I'd need.

As Hanley says below take it slow, I'm 44 and started back in the gym in January after years away from it. Get toned and build a base but never push yourself too much, Protein protein protein simply because this will aid recovery and believe me at our age we need all the help we can get :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

As Hanley says below take it slow, I'm 44 and started back in the gym in January after years away from it. Get toned and build a base but never push yourself too much, Protein protein protein simply because this will aid recovery and believe me at our age we need all the help we can get :D

And drink gallons of water,eat tons of fibre and sleep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »
    No one springs to mind around Sandymount, but if Portobello was an option, there's a poster on here called COH who's a trainer in Raw and could help you out.

I'd second the suggestion of COH. As someone who's been trained by him and who's seen him get results for clients of all shapes, sizes and ages, he's definitely worth looking up if you're interested in putting in the work and doing it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'll also recommend COH in Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Turning into a regular COH lovefest around here......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭COH

I really wish I could change my username to my actual name so people actually knew who to ask for in RAW!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

COH wrote: »
    I really wish I could change my username to my actual name so people actually knew who to ask for in RAW!

Solution: get COH printed on the back of your top.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

COH wrote: »

Where's the mystery in that???

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Go really slow.
    Go really, really slow.
    Back off a bit and go slower than you think you should.

I know you mean well, but he's in his 40s, not his 80s :p

Bought an Olympic weights set for my 46th birthday earlier this year myself (bodyweight 90kg) and I'm now doing 100kg bench, 160kg deadlift, squats not worth mentioning yet but slowly working on it. Love doing it and love what it is doing to me. Should have done this decades ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I know you are looking for someone in Sandymount or Flyefit, but notwithstanding this I recommend James (Hanley) in Revfit which is located on Richmond Road in Dublin 9. If driving it only takes a few minutes to get to his gym. James and his team are infectious in their enthusiasm and knowledge. Well worth it. Even if you only train with him for a while to get the technique correct (but the reality is once you join RevFit you won't want to leave).

James trains in his personal time away from RevFit in Flyefit on Macken Street - maybe he would agree to meet and have a chat with you there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

RoryW wrote: »
    James trains in his personal time away from RevFit in Flyefit on Macken Street - maybe he would agree to meet and have a chat with you there ?

Key word there is 'personal'. Probably not the best idea to volunteer someone else's personal time for them. I'd imagine the reason James trains in flyefit when he owns two gyms of his own is to keep his work and his personal life somewhat separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

wait.. what does traditional weight lifting mean, we're talkin about olympic weight lifting arent we?

Advertisement