Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How to deal with difficult wedding suppliers?

• 21-11-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Is anyone else having issues getting responses from Irish suppliers?

I’m currently trying to sort out accommodation for our guests and just had a call with an extremely unhelpful Irish owned hotel that not only was unhelpful but also overcharging me on top of it! No way will I be putting them on my accommodation list but it’s been so frustrating as it’s across the board – florists, cake suppliers, etc– not returning emails, calls etc

You'd think small Irish owned wedding suppliers would be happy for enquiries & booking!?!

Rant over! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have found the no replying to emails really annoying.. Even thinking now this lady was to call me and I still haven't heard back from her..

I hate when people have facebook pages and email address but they do not answer them. Bugs the bajaysus out of me.
    One example we tried contacting two suppliers in Cork for food and one of them we emailed twice, then I posted on facebook twice before she came back all apologies and promised to contact and were still waiting.

Contacted another Cork place as we tried to keep it local, prices were mad and there was extra for everything they also took ages to come back. Emailed a place in Kildare and bang back within a day and much cheaper.

I would say sod them if they are trying to overcharge and not being helpful, don't give them the business.. Youll know the ones who want the business and they will come back to you and keep you sweet.

What are you looking for if I can be of any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

The 2 of you are bang on, some understanding is required.

Take your average musician, great musician, doesnt mean they wouldnt be brilliant on your wedding night, but your average musician is not a good business person so wouldnt equate prompt and courteous responses with good business, one of the busiest bands I know are not one of the best, just the guy who runs it is one of the best at business. Always smiles, replies to emails straight away, always nice, customer first. Asks for top dollar and always gets it (I know that annoys you milly :) )

Take your average florist, busy in the shop all day, people coming in and out, busy making wreaths or whatnot, "oh look, theres an email enquiry, I'll get to that this evening after I get home, maybe". Could be the best florist in the country though, just not business orientated.

On the overcharging, are they really overcharging or are they just not caving to demands to reduce prices. Is that being unhelpful though or have they got their prices and a business policy to not give discounts? Did you ask why are their rates higher? maybe theyve got some awards for accommodation and ask for higher rates because theyll get it from people who like paying more for better.

Im like you guys though, I hate not getting a reply to anything in under 3 hours. to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

The 2 of you are bang on, some understanding is required.

Take your average musician, great musician, doesnt mean they wouldnt be brilliant on your wedding night, but your average musician is not a good business person so wouldnt equate prompt and courteous responses with good business, one of the busiest bands I know are not one of the best, just the guy who runs it is one of the best at business. Always smiles, replies to emails straight away, always nice, customer first. Asks for top dollar and always gets it (I know that annoys you milly :) )

Take your average florist, busy in the shop all day, people coming in and out, busy making wreaths or whatnot, "oh look, theres an email enquiry, I'll get to that this evening after I get home, maybe". Could be the best florist in the country though, just not business orientated.

On the overcharging, are they really overcharging or are they just not caving to demands to reduce prices. Is that being unhelpful though or have they got their prices and a business policy to not give discounts? Did you ask why are their rates higher? maybe theyve got some awards for accommodation and ask for higher rates because theyll get it from people who like paying more for better.

Im like you guys though, I hate not getting a reply to anything in under 3 hours. to anything.

What you’re saying makes sense and it's a real pity that some businesses operate like this but on the same hand and from a customer point of view, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect basic customer service level from a business that you are prepared to spend hundreds or even thousands of euros with!

Surely a one man musician/band would have some simple, understanding (not rocket science) that if he/she receives an email enquiry, then it's potential to book a gig and earn money. If they are not free for the date, then let the enquirer know - they may have other events or friends/family also looking (Birthdays, Engagements, etc etc)

And I'm not expecting a reply within 1, 2, 3 hours but I think 3-5 working days is fine and if it's urgent then I will pick up phone but I'm not even getting a reply back from some.

And I am being overcharged! I've done my research and know what each and every accommodation provider in the area is charging and this place is nothing special nor am I asking or expecting a discount - just a fair price!

I'd prefer to book a reliable supplier who is fair and professional to deal with, good reputation than someone I cannot get hold of, gets my order mixed up as they didn't bother to read my email correctly, more expensive but oh boy, they are the best in the business so I guess I should be more "understanding" as it's only the most expensive day of our lives!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

tbeans wrote: »
    What you’re saying makes sense and it's a real pity that some businesses operate like this but on the same hand and from a customer point of view, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect basic customer service level from a business that you are prepared to spend hundreds or even thousands of euros with!

I completely agree with you and I wouldn't say its unreasonable at all and you wonder sometimes how these people stay in business but I was trying to say is your definition of customer service is not these peoples definition of customer service. to them, a 3-4 day wait on a reply to an email is ok, or even no reply at all because they know youll try again. they just dont see anything wrong with it. how I dont know, eventually youd like to think all people will take their business away from them as theyre bad at business, but they might not be bad at what they do, (best florist, best band etc) so they get by, but its more to do with luck than anything else.
    Surely a one man musician/band would have some simple, understanding (not rocket science) that if he/she receives an email enquiry, then it's potential to book a gig and earn money. If they are not free for the date, then let the enquirer know - they may have other events or friends/family also looking (Birthdays, Engagements, etc etc)

Again, completely agree and I personally would always subscribe to the "always reply whether booked or not" policy. Others do not though. They may be working more if they did.

Best to leave them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I give potential suppliers/sellers 3 days. No response? No business. Neither do I bother chasing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would say I have emailed about ten make up artists and hairdressers at this stage. Got a handful of responses, and then when I asked for further information... nothing. There aren't that many based near the venue either (rural, in the west) so I am running out of options. Its really frustrating. I don't use make up myself either so acquiring the make up and the skills to do it myself is not a goer.
    I just wish they'd respond with a sorry but not interested if that's the case.

Is there a BT or a MAC counter near you? Some of the MAC girls will make you up. Pop into a counter and ask.

Galway would be nearest to venue but its over an hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

fits wrote: »
    Galway would be nearest to venue but its over an hours drive.

So? My MUA and hairdresser drove about 90 mins to my venue. Pop into MAC in BTs in Galway and ask if any of them do wedding makeup. Then go in for a trial. I used Nicole in BTs Dublin and she was great. Alternatively, do you have a hairdresser? Ask her if she can recommend anyone. A wedding hairdresser will have worked with loads of MUAs. It's great if you can get a pair that work well together. My hairdresser recommend my MUA.

So? My MUA and hairdresser drove about 90 mins to my venue. Pop into MAC in BTs in Galway and ask if any of them do wedding makeup. Then go in for a trial. I used Nicole in BTs Dublin and she was great. Alternatively, do you have a hairdresser? Ask her if she can recommend anyone. A wedding hairdresser will have worked with loads of MUAs. It's great if you can get a pair that work well together. My hairdresser recommend my MUA.

So... its not really feasible for me to drive to Galway on the morning of the ceremony and back again. I cant just pop into BTs either I am afraid. I am based abroad. No panic yet but its a bit of a worry at the same time.
    I have no hairdresser yet either. Not local to the area.

• Advertisement

So... its not really feasible for me to drive to Galway on the morning of the ceremony and back again. I cant just pop into BTs either I am afraid. I am based abroad. No panic yet but its a bit of a worry at the same time.
    I have no hairdresser yet either. Not local to the area.

Why would you be travelling anywhere the morning of your wedding? MUAs will come to you

Why would you be travelling anywhere the morning of your wedding? MUAs will come to you

Yes - If any of them bothered to reply to my emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm not defending no/poor responses to emails, in my wedding related business, I aim for a response within 24 hours at a maximum, ideally a lot soon.
    But I talk to a lot of suppliers and many of a slightly older generation are of the opinion, if it's a genuine enquiry, the will call me. So many of them don't think they are losing anything by not paying attention to email.
    The amount of times I've heard, "I can't discus my service over an email" it would make you laugh at some of the attitudes. The busiest band in the NW doesn't even have a mobile, you call the house and the daughter answers, she puts the phone down and roars "daddy it's for YOU" but very busy so he doesn't want to be contacted in any other way.
    One thing I can't stand is Facebook messages, I just send a link to my email address and ask them to contact me on it instead.

Yes - If any of them bothered to reply to my emails!

Ok. Not sure what to do then. Keep looking I guess and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would say I have emailed about ten make up artists and hairdressers at this stage. Got a handful of responses, and then when I asked for further information... nothing. There aren't that many based near the venue either (rural, in the west) so I am running out of options. Its really frustrating. I don't use make up myself either so acquiring the make up and the skills to do it myself is not a goer.
    I just wish they'd respond with a sorry but not interested if that's the case.

Are you anywhere near Sligo fits?

Not very far. Do you know anyone? feel free to pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Look up make up by muireann if sligo suits. She's great for customer service and great at make up too

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I found the same with smaller businesses like cakes ect so when I did get responses I thanked them for their response and told them I had difficulty with some suppliers - they were really appreciative of the acknowledgement for their timely response. Even though some of them I didnt even up going with for whatever reason -I would still recommend them since they were quick and helpful in their responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

We got married near Ballina. I got two local ladies to do hair and make-up. Would recommend both.

I booked a lady from the Pontoon Bridge Hotel to do my make-up and she travelled to me, her name's Yvonne. Her travel rates were really reasonable, her site is http://www.serenebeautyireland.com/. She was really accommodating in redoing my make-up during the trial (I drove up to the hotel myself). Her number is 087-1274419 and email is [email protected]. Checking my mail history, she replied to me with a quotation on the day.
    I got hair done by Hair by Jacqueline in Ballina. She also had really good travel rates and I loved all the photos of the hair she'd done on her facebook page. Her number is 09676860, I don't even have an email. Her facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hair-By-Jacqueline-Great-Lenghts-Hair-Extensions/117779701570457?fref=ts.

Honestly, I think Ireland is still a little backward when it comes to email and lots of people prefer getting phone call enquiries. Best of luck getting your suppliers sorted, I'm sure you'll find someone...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,898 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In general I found it to be a mixed bag when sorting out suppliers for my wedding. I remember the hotel and the photographer were fantastic coming back to me with emails - during business hours (9-5) the hotel would be back to me within 2 hours, max. The photographer would be no more than 24 hours, which I thought was fantastic considering he could be out shooting weddings all day and be up to his eyeballs doing editing etc in the evenings. My florist was also very prompt at returning emails.

I prefer to initiate an enquiry by email, then if I like the sound of the supplier/product, then I'll usually either phone or meet up in person (if it's a case of just popping in to a shop) however, I think Clint is right in saying that a lot of suppliers must have the attitude that people will phone if it's a genuine enquiry. Some times I wonder why certain suppliers even bother putting an email contact on their website/business cards, because they just don't answer the emails.

With the exception of hotels, my experience was that a lot of suppliers simply don't reply to emails (whether it's because they don't check them very often, or because they don't think it's likely that an email will lead to a booking) and I found that the best way to make enquiries was to sit down with a list of names/numbers and then phone them all. It was time consuming, but I was able to get the info I needed then and there, without having to wait days for a reply to an email. I found that once I'd booked stuff, there were still certain suppliers that were pretty much impossible to contact by email. In fairness, one or two of them didn't have an option of an email, but that didn't bother me because at least I knew the best way to contact them. One thing that sticks out to me was the cake lady was very difficult to contact full stop, and I ended up having to go out to her shop to get anything sorted, which was particularly annoying because the cake didn't turn out anything like we wanted in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Hi just seeing this thread now.
    It is so annoying. I am getting married next year in Kildare and am finalising most of the stuff. I was hoping to get everything for it in Ireland. That seems to be easier said then done.
    When suppliers are contacted they are very slow to come back with quotes. When emailed they sometimes dont respond.
    And then when they do get around to quoting they are very expensive.

Ok I know that every supplier isnt like this and I might just be unlucky with the ones I have tried, but I mean I have tried so many, and it seems to be the same issue. Just annoying when I was trying to shop local...

I know that things cost money, but i mean I am things brought in from the states for less then it costs to walk into a shop and by the same product.
    A friend of mine suggested the wedding band he had in the UK. I contacted them for a quote. It is less to pay for them to come over and stay the night plus travel etc, then to get a local band to play. How does that work?? I was at my mates wedding and the band is really good.

Just have to keep trying I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Email is a non urgent form of communication so if you need or want a prompt reply a phonecall with email follow up is best rather than the initial contact being email. I don't work in wedding industry but I do work where I get flooded with email requests and some slip through the cracks simply because of the volume. I always tell everyone if they need me urgently to call and I will react accordingly and of course apologise to those that I simply don't get to When they call annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Yeah I understand that. I work in an industry that works the same as yourself, so I do use the phone first, but I have experienced plenty of times that the call goes to voicemail. I leave a message and email them. and get a quick one line response days or weeks later, if I get a response at all.

I am actually waiting for a supplier to get back to me about a quote. 200 people attending my wedding. The last I heard from the supplier was that they would get me a quote within 3 days. 2 weeks later I am still waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Just from the other side aswell, when I was organising my wedding - I was trying to squeeze in doing stuff during work hours aswell and it was nearly impossible to make personal calls in my work even during breaks but it was ok to send an email. Then my lunch breaks were taken up with running around so it was hard to make calls aswell!

When I started planning my wedding, I was on leave. I organised it from London and married in Cork. I would e-mail at night when I got home, and follow-up with a call in the morning if I got a response. I have to say most of the Irish suppliers I dealt with were pretty prompt when responding to mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

color_girl wrote: »
    Just from the other side aswell, when I was organising my wedding - I was trying to squeeze in doing stuff during work hours aswell and it was nearly impossible to make personal calls in my work even during breaks but it was ok to send an email. Then my lunch breaks were taken up with running around so it was hard to make calls aswell!

Wholeheartedly agree with this - I also (unhelpfully) am very nervous on the phone so don't always take in the whole conversation. As a result, I'm happy to email in the knowledge that it won't get answered straightaway but a week, 2 weeks - to me - is just too long to wait when trying to get things organised

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

I'm a wedding supplier myself and it always amazes me when people reply to me with "thanks for getting back to me". I'm like, well yea you are offering to give me business!

My emails go straight to my phone and my wedding calender is online so I try to get back to people within minutes.

The way I see it is people who enquire to me are also enquiring to several other videographers so of course you want to be first! Also if you are slow to reply then there is a good chance everything else will be slow too..

Another thing is people are in the "mode" when they enquire so you are much much more likely to get a response back if you are fast to reply.

Thankfully a lot of my competitors are oblivious to this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

well done to you candytog!! See this is what should happen but some people just do not get,which is odd as it is just simple business... I get some people say sure I don't check the email but then do not put an email address put a number or have someone manage your email for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Milly33 wrote: »
    well done to you candytog!! See this is what should happen but some people just do not get,which is odd as it is just simple business... I get some people say sure I don't check the email but then do not put an email address put a number or have someone manage your email for you..

I started my career working for a guy who was like that so I learned what NOT to do very early on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement