Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The fate of Irish Lightships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DavidGD

The discovery of the 1908 photograph, showing Cormorant with a fixed lantern and only one other mast, has rather skewed the discussions about sails. When she was ‘upgraded’ from the 1880 specification, who knows what other alterations took place? Anyway I have been playing with computer images of Cormorant 1908 and Cormorant 1957 to make sure we are looking at the same ship. Allowing for the fact that Cormorant 1908 is heeling slightly to port and has had her lantern modernised, and Cormorant 1957 has a boat landing platform tacked on the stern, the similarities are very evident when I superimpose one on the other. Luckily the two photos were taken at roughly the same angle.

I also compared the main and mizzen mast combination over the years – although by 1997 the main mast had been chopped off at deck level. It looks highly likely that the original main mast (or most of it) was used throughout, with the access holes plated over as we found very early on in this story when we examined the base of the main mast stump.

The mizzen was probably replaced or lengthened when the ‘hoistable’ lantern on the main was replaced by a fixed lantern. In reply to a question asked, I believe that ‘ball’ on the 1908 mizzen is to inform other ships that this vessel is anchored/not under way.

One interesting technique from the 1880 specification was rust prevention for the main steel mast. Everything had to be “… thoroughly cleansed from rust, and in this state it is to be thoroughly and uniformly heated, and while hot, to be coated with boiled linseed oil, and after it has cooled and the coat hardened, it is to be painted two good coats in pure red lead paint.” Quite a task with a 70ft mast!

David

Well my right hand man in Dublin - David Ryan - is going from strength to strength! After finding those 1908 photos of Cormorant and Torch, both with a fixed lantern and one other mast, he has now discovered photos showing a 'hoistable' lantern and one other mast. The Barrels Rock vessel is Torch, but we do not know the name of the other. There are no dates attached, but they must be earlier than 1908.

As if that wasn't enough, David has also unearthed even earlier photos showing two other masts
    There is not much information about these vessels, so I cannot say what their names are, but I think it is worth another 60 euros to get hi-res copies to see if they have a name anywhere on them, or at least to compare features with other photos that are identified.

David has done exceedingly well - some people have all the fun - while I slave away on Simon's boat, helping to recover and insulate the deck. More on this next time.
    David

Re-decking the ship proved to be slower than imagined – and harder! The computer-generated diagrams I put in earlier posts made everything look quite straightforward, but of course it wasn’t. The first task was to get a 100x100mm timber grid structure in place.
    With the ship’s sides being curved and the decks sloping fore/aft and port/starboard, with odd projections here and there, everything had to be measured and placed carefully. We started on the stern and with the grid in place, proceeded to stage 2 – filling the spaces in the grid with 100mm foam panelling, each piece tailored to fit a specific space. (Photo) The foam is very easy to cut and any small gaps were filled with an expanding foam gun. The gun was a very good buy as it enables you to squirt the amount you want, when you want it, whereas the normal canisters cannot be left idle for long. That’s Chris the ‘roofer’ on the left and Simon on the right waiting for his chance to measure up the next panel.
    With the insulation complete and the plywood panels screwed firmly to the grid, Chris applied a layer of bitumen with a roller (Photo). This seals the ply and provides a key for the bitumen material layer which follows. (Photo)
    The bitumen layer has to be carried up onto the bulwark to ensure rain does not get underneath. As the bulwark was, in places, showing its age (136 years), the spray foam came into play again filling in some gaps before the layer went on. After 5 days hard graft, I was showing all of my 76 years, but the foam wouldn’t work on me!
    All this took time and the final layer of gritted roofing felt had not been put down before I left. However, the starboard deck was also brought to the first layer stage and that might have been a much smaller area, but it was much more complicated, with light boxes and scuppers to cater for. (Photo) The scuppers are important of course so they were left clear and dressed into the bitumen layer.
    The light boxes can wait until next year (by which time we should have sorted out exactly how they are going to be made watertight and walkable on) and the ply, having been cut out, was replaced and the bitumen layer was uninterrupted. (Photo) That projection in the right foreground is a filling point, marked “Calor Gas” and below is a pipe going down into the bilges where I assume there is a gas tank. Not knowing how well drained the tank is, we decided not to cut the filler valve down to deck level and Chris had to work round it!
    David

A swift recap in pictures from 'Cormorant', through 'Lady Dixon' and 'Lady December', to 'The Lightship' today. Yes it is the same ship throughout - all with the stern on the right.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I've forgotten, was Simon given the ship to take away? That last picture would make any sane person run a mile. :D

• Advertisement

Ouch! That's a bit below the waterline. But I must admit trying to steer him away from it!!

Although I have no intention of building a lightship, I have been reading the 1880 specification with much interest. I have been struck by the multitude of materials that have been specified in great detail for all the bits and pieces (scantlings?). The document starts off by insisting…..
    “All the materials used in the construction of the vessel to be of the best quality and description, it being in the power of the person or persons who may be appointed to superintend the construction of the vessel, to reject, and cause to be removed, any portion which may be considered inferior or defective”.
    The word ‘best’ appears 16 more times and the word ‘good’ only twice.

Not counting any of the furniture, cupboards etc., I have counted nine different woods to be used. I will not attempt to catalogue all uses for all the woods.
    Best East India Teak. This is all over the ship, top to bottom and front to back ….. sorry, topside to keel and knighthead to stern post. The topmast, rudder trunk, outer and inner skins, topside and bottom planks, bulwark stanchions, hatchway coamings, sky-light and keel, to name but a few. Only the mid-section of the keel was to be teak, the foremost and the aft lengths were to be ….
    English or Irish Elm. Parts of the keel, the whole of the false keel (3 inch thick sacrificial plank), and the bilge pieces.
    Rock Elm. Lower deck beams and sister keelson battens.
    American Elm. Chain lockers.
    English Oak. Roughtree rail (the main rail on the top of the bulwarks), rudder, bowsprit and tillers.
    Dantzic Crown Deal. Upper deck.
    Red Pine. Lower deck waterway and sky-light shutters.
    Yellow Pine. Lower deck.
    Pitch Pine. Mizzen and fore masts.

The metals specified were even more prolific and it was by no means a case of one suits all.
    Staffordshire Iron. Keel plate.
    Cast Iron. Hawse-pipes and bollards.
    S.C.Stourbridge Iron. The wrought iron fittings on the masts.
    Best Quality Bessemer Steel. Main mast.
    Best Angle Iron. Frames.
    Galvanised Iron. Water and oil tanks.
    Gun Metal. Knees (bracing pieces), rudder pedants and gangway stanchions.
    Bulb Iron. Deck beams, carlings (fore and aft deck supports) and clamp stringers.
    Strong Lead. Scuppers.
    Muntz Metal, Sheathing on the outside of the boat below the waterline.
    Copper. Throughout the ship!
    Brass. All door hinges and locks etc.

There was also concrete (to line the powder room) and cement (“The inside of the vessel, as high as the sister keelsons, to be coated with the best Portland cement”) and thick coatings of white lead between all ‘faying’ surfaces (joined surfaces).

David

PS: A close look at that 1908 photograph of Cormorant on station at the Kish, proves that it was indeed the Cormorant. The name is difficult to read there on the stern, but with the 67Mb hi-res scan there is no doubt that it does say ‘Cormorant’. However I cannot see names on the other photos as the vessels are more side-on and the stern is out of view. I wonder if all these lightships had their names permanently on their sterns and the name of their station in large letters on their flanks – changed when they went to a different station.

Just a short report on an historical discovery. During all the reports about the two and three mast photos, I did wonder where the foremast had been. On the foredeck, just in front of the companionway, was a wooden octagon with an 8-inch hole (Photo).
    Too small for a mast and it fitted the 1943 blueprint position of an 8-inch dead-light, although the actual glass is missing. However, removal of the wood pieces revealed a rather larger hole (Photo) and an examination of the underside of the deck in this area showed a substantial structure, far too strong to support a small glass dead-light, but well able to take a mast. (Photo)
    So my guess is that the mast hole was covered when the foremast was removed c1900 and the hole was opened up and used in 1943 to install a large dead-light.

What a difference a year makes – well a year and a half actually. The rear deck was then just tatty boards resting on the deck beams and not waterproof (Photo). Simon used a large tarpaulin for many months, but although this helped to keep out most of the rain, down below was still cold and damp, with heavy condensation dripping everywhere.

Now, (Photo) although by no means finished, it is weatherproof and well insulated. Large areas of dry ceiling are appearing below. The rubber tiles have yet to be laid to protect the roofing material.

The story is the same along the starboard side, where the deck was in a bit of a mess and covered with odds and sods (Photo). The appearance was not improved by the rusty state of the superstructure. The deck is now weatherproof, insulated and clear of rubbish! (Photo).

Meanwhile, David Ryan has unearthed one more photograph. This one shows Cormorant on station at Lucifer Shoals (East of Rosslare Harbour). It must have been taken around 1900 before her foremast was removed and certainly before 1908 by which time her main mast had been changed to a fixed lantern. (Photo)
    David

Wasn’t it British Rail who used to say “We are getting there”. Well the lightship is making progress, but a combination of poor weather and ‘the day job’ does slow things down a bit. Poor old Simon seems to spend a great deal of time shifting building materials, bikes, plants and all sorts of ‘useful’ brick-a-brac around the deck – clearing each area in turn so that it can be worked on. The bow used to look very rough (Photo 1); then it was cleared and painted (Photo 2); my few days down there saw the framework built on the starboard side (Photo 3); and just the last week the weather-proofing went down (Photo 4) and now there is just the roofing felt and rubber tiles to be put down.
    Meanwhile, on the historical research side, I am off down to London in a couple of weeks to trawl through the Trinity House records held at the London Metropolitan Archives. In January I am going to Dublin to follow up on the excellent work done by David Ryan. Hopefully the New Year will see some more interesting blasts from the past!
    David

• Advertisement

After a pause to earn a living and to find a source of reasonably priced plywood and timber, the decking work is approaching the finish. Those nostrils (haws pipes), which were impressive but a bit of a mess (Photo 1), are now blended in to the new decking (Photo 2).

The final stretch of decking is timbered (Photo 3) and early next week, weather permitting, will be insulated, covered and sealed. We are still looking for a source of rubber tiles to go over the roofing felt and protect it. They will need to be interlocking, hard wearing and have some type of drainage channels on the bottom surface to allow rain to run over the roofing felt to the scuppers (Photo 4).

One small historical note – Simon sawed a piece off the end of the old mizzen mast (now hanging between the ship and the jetty) so that it would clear an upright. Looking at the newly exposed cross-section (Photo 5) reveals how well the timber (pitch pine) has survived the last 130 years – the last 15 or so being dunked in the sea on every tide!
    David

The original construction and the subsequent modernisation(s) of the Cormorant were obviously shaped by the knowledge and technology of the times. In the 1880s the lanterns were constructed of brass and glass. With the oil tanks necessary to keep them alight through the night and/or bad weather, their overall weight was 2 tons 13 cwt. Having this lump over 27ft above the deck must have tested the mast and the shrouds quite severely in rough seas. In daylight it could be lowered to deck level and no doubt also in severe storms. However, when aloft, the wicks needed trimming from time to time and the masts were made hollow, incorporating a ladder to give safe, covered access to the lamp. There could be no question of lowering the lantern when in operation just to trim the wicks. (Photo 1)

Now, having hollow masts, with two fairly large access holes in them and 2 ton weights waving about up there, must have caused a bit of concern. When the Puffin was lost with all hands in a terrible storm in 1896, the inquiry decided the cause was the mast breaking below the deck, carrying away the house and tearing a large portion of the deck. “The rectangular doorway was a source of weakness ….”. (Photo 2)

This tragedy may well have caused Trinity House and the Commissioners for Irish Lights to look again at the design of masts and lanterns. Changing to acetylene may have obviated the need for frequent access. By 1908 Cormorant and her sister ship Torch had been converted to a fixed lantern. This was just as high up the mast – the mast most probably strengthened by plating over the two access doors – but because it did not have to be hauled up and down, or to carry oil tanks, it could be constructed weighing a good deal less than 2 tons. (Photo 3)

Later in life the cramped crew quarters were improved by the addition of a deckhouse and certainly this was needed when Belfast Harbour adapted her to act as a pilot station as well as a lightship. With 10 crew and 9 pilots, extra room was certainly needed. (Photo 4)

This superstructure may well have added support to the mast, but as Cormorant – or Lady Dixon as she was now christened – was safely tucked up inside Belfast Lough, she would never experience the sort of atrocious weather suffered on station at Lucifer Shoals, the Kish and other isolated moorings. (Photo 5)

Today, or rather over the next year or so, her insides will be reworked yet again. This has already started and the deckhouse is approaching completion (as you have seen in previous posts). Below deck will be a much greater challenge!

David

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hi David - great thread! Where did painting of Cormorant on the Kish station come from?

Thanks for the kind remark. The owners of the painting are a bit wary about advertising the fact that they own such a handsome painting. All I can tell you is that the artist was a senior naval officer who died in 1895 and the painting is in Ireland.
    The lightship may well be Cormorant - she did serve on that station during her service - but there is no way of telling from the painting.
    David

I was not too hopeful of finding a great deal in the London Metropolitan Archives. Yes they have a collection of Trinity House documents and photos, but Trinity House was hit by a bomb during WWII and much was lost. However, the LMA do have very helpful staff and they helped me to find a few nuggets.
    What I was looking for was a record of the Puffin tragedy (1896), or at least an expression of official sadness. I also wanted to find confirmation of my theory that the Court of Inquiry findings – that the sinking was most probably caused by the mast breaking – prompted both Trinity House and the Commissioners for Irish Lights to change the design of all the main masts on their lightships from having a hoistable lantern to having a fixed one. See my previous post.
    I searched through a number of large, bound volumes of ‘Wardens’ Minutes’. They had been nicely bound but, after 120 years, were showing their age and were more than a little fragile (Photo 1). I went right through 1896, 1897 and 1898, but found nothing relating to the Puffin. I did see a reference to the Siren LV and new steel masts in January 1900. On a totally different subject there was a note about trials of an ‘incandescent gas burner’ in December 1897. The cost was to be £35 (about £3,500 in today’s money).
    There were some photos of light vessels and I have ordered copies of two of them. One is a close-up of a lantern sitting at deck level and hopefully these will not get too delayed by the Christmas post. They are being copied from old glass slides (which I was not allowed to touch!)
    There was a shot of Petrel on the Coningbeg station. It took some computer jiggery-pokery, but I can just make out her name on the stern above that white band (Photo 2).
    I also trawled through ‘Inspection Books for Light Vessels’; ‘Visiting Committee Reports’; ‘Buoy Books’; and ‘Board Agendas (Pilotage)’. Nothing interesting in that lot! However I do now know how to operate an 1895 Manual Fog Signal Apparatus. I also discovered that at a Board meeting on 11th February 1941, the Rt Hon Winston L S Churchill CH MP was fined one shilling by his fellow Board Members for lighting a cigar at the meeting. Not a lot of people know that!
    Towards the end of my second (and last) day, I was casting about rather desperately for lightship items, when one of the staff unearthed some other bound volumes and I struck gold.

17 October 1897: “Irish Lights and Surveyor of Shipping. Asking that Mr Goodall be allowed to inspect the old Daunts Rock Lt Vsl “Puffin” which is expected shortly to be dry docked at Cork. Approved”.
    In fact the Puffin wreck was beached, inspected there and broken up there.

19 October 1897: “Irish Lights (Lt Vsls). Forwarding copy of Report of Court of enquiry into the loss of Daunts Rock Lt Vsl “Puffin”, who attribute the disaster to the breaking of the steel mast, which tore up a large portion of the deck. In consequence of this finding of the Court, the Commissioners of Irish Lights, with a view to the prevention of similar accidents in future, propose to introduce a stronger description of mast for use on board the other Light Vessels in their Service.
    The Board of Trade now request the observations of the Elder Brethren upon this proposal of the Commissioners.”

Bingo! Put another way “The Irish are putting stronger masts in their light ships, shouldn’t we be doing the same?” A very satisfying end to my labours. I now look forward to my trip to Dublin in January, where I hope to find some more nuggets.
    David

Well the London Metropolitan Archives pulled out the stops and my photo, ordered on Thursday, arrived the following Monday! I had to ask permission to reproduce it here, but that did not take long. It shows a hoistable lantern close up (Photo 1 © Trinity House). The construction of the 2 ton 13 cwt monster can be seen clearly and the crew member alongside gives a good impression of the size. I assume that chain is for hauling the lantern up the mast by means of the manual (?) windlass at the bottom of the photo. Although those chains look fairly vertical, they cannot be. The windlass must be nearer to the camera than it looks so that the chains do not foul the lantern when it goes up. However, in all the photos I have of these lightships with hoistable lanterns, I can find no clear evidence of stout chains near the mast. I can see block and tackle arrangements such as on the Owers lightship (Photo 2).

I say this as a plural because there is one forward as well as the expected one aft. Perhaps it took two windlasses to hoist the monster aloft? Or perhaps these are nothing to do with the lantern – in which case where are the chains?

Incidentally, the Owers Station is off Selsey Bill and I gather that one lightship with the name Owers is now a wreck in Tel Aviv harbour. I don’t think it will be this one.

The other question refers back to discussions we had on sails. I assume that is a furled sail stretching towards the lantern and, as it looks very straight, I assume it is around a spar/ boom. There does not appear to be any rigging keeping it up. It must be hanging (sorry, wrong term) from the mizen and possibly anchored (sorry, wrong term) to the main mast or superstructure near it, but I have never seen a sail in that position in any of the old photos. There have been photos of furled sails and just one unfurled (Photo 3) – all aft of the mizen. So come on you experts, what is going on?

The renovation has picked up speed and the deck is now completely insulated and weather-proofed. The bow has never looked so good! (Photo 4).

I know some of you will be wondering what that large blue tray is doing there. Well it’s where Molly – Simon’s dog – empties her bladder in between trips ashore. The observant amongst you will notice that it is slightly tilted by those green blocks. This is to encourage the effluent down to the bottom left corner where there is a gap in the surround. Although hidden by a hanging basket (of dead flowers) the gap is positioned over the starboard haws pipe …. need I say more?
    David

For the final chapter of the year I have chosen to look back to remind myself how far Simon has got with this massive project. It really ought to be on Amazing Spaces!
    The many improvements Simon has made, since deciding to purchase and live aboard in August 2013 (only 16 months ago!), include the refurbishment of the 58x18ft deckhouse, turning a tiny ‘cooking space’ and a rubbish store into a terrific kitchen (Photos 1, 2 and 3). Note that Photo 3 is a combination of two photos, which accounts for the two-tone floor!
    The other great step forward was the insulation and weather proofing of the whole 58 sq metre deck area, particularly the side decks which were full of holes with no cladding (Photos 4 and 5).
    So a Happy New Year to all my readers. I am running this story on several web-sites and the total ‘hit count’ has just passed 47,000, running at about 800 to 900 per week, so there are people out there who are interested‼
    David

A happy New Year to all my readers!
    I gave some serious thought to the suggestion that I should write a book on the history of ‘Cormorant’. Just repeating these posts would not produce a coherent story (or a lot of interest!), so it would have to be properly done, flavouring the cold facts with historical detail and evidence. I even started to sketch out the first chapter, beginning in 1876/8 when ‘Cormorant’ was built by the Victoria Shipbuilding Co., West Passage, Cork. That is where I hit the first snag.
    I have always accepted that statement as fact because it is quoted in many sources, but I can find no record of that shipbuilding company. I know where West Passage is and it did have a flourishing shipbuilding/repair industry in the mid-1800s. I have found the Royal Victoria Dockyards; the Passage Docks & Shipbuilding Co; the Cork Shipbuilding Co. Passage West; and others; but no mention of the Victoria Shipbuilding Co. Well I am off to Dublin in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I will be able to determine whether this is a case of someone getting the name wrong and everyone afterwards repeating the mistake (instead of doing their homework properly!).
    Meanwhile Patrick (SailPix) sent me a link which shows a mailboat delivering to a lightship on the Kish Bank station. A great deal of smoke was being puffed out by the mailboat, so it is not possible to identify the lightship. That little speck in the water is probably the lightship cutter going back to mother after collecting the mail. I wonder why the mailboat crew are wearing cloche hats!
    http://fatherbrowne.com/Ships%20&%20Shipping/Passengers%20and%20Crew/Htmls/PaCright28.html
    David

In October I received a message from Alex Coulter, who sent me some information about the Lady Dixon when she was a Pilot Station in Belfast Lough….
    Hi David, I read the story of the Lady Dixon with great interest. My father John Coulter worked for 23 years in charge of the Pilot cutter Rosa. She carried the Ships Pilots that piloted ships into Belfast. The Pilot Master, Pilots and deck crews lived aboard the Lady Dixon. Dad would take the Pilots down to go aboard the Lady D. The 2 Pilot Masters were David Hunt and James Owens. I went with him a number of times. When the Lady D was off for overhaul her replacement was the Sir Thomas Dixon - an old Steam Yacht. I hope you find this information helpful. I went on to go to sea and years later I was Tug mate and Skipper in the tugs Somerton and Sir Kenneth for the B H C.
    Regards.
    Alex Coulter.

To which I replied ….

Hi Alex,
    Many thanks for that historical snippet. I have a copy of the Lady Dixon Log Book for September 1956 and it shows J Owens as the Pilot Master at that time. It also shows the names of the Pilots on board each day, which ships they boarded and what the weather was like!
    I also have a copy of the BHC Board minutes from 26 Jan 1960, which record that the Lady Dixon was to be dry-docked, to be replaced on station by the Commissioners' tender Sir Thomas Dixon.
    Your memory is obviously working well!
    Best wishes
    David

He came back straight away …..

David, the post brought back many happy memories. I knew a number of the Pilots in question as I was a Berthing Master in Belfast after my time in the tugs of the B H C.
    Regards,
    Alex C R666116.

I then lost track of these messages (sorry Alex), but having found them again I have included them here – they are the first direct link with Simon’s vessel during her working life.

My mention of a possible book on the history of Cormorant produced a deafening silence, so have abandoned that idea! Maybe if I get snowed in this Winter I will produce one copy – for Simon.
    My trip to Dublin is rapidly approaching and David Ryan is being a great help over there. We have much to do in a short time!
    That will be looking at material from 1878 to 1943. Meanwhile I have found confirmation that the ship was indeed moored near Sittingbourne in the 1990s. Charles Reece owned her at that time; she was painted red (Photo 1); and was reported to be at Gas Road, Milton Creek. Looking on Google Earth, I easily found Milton Creek. Gas Road meanders around a bit, but I did see a sort of jetty in the right area. I then spotted Google’s historical facility, which offers aerial shots of locations taken from other sources. Obviously the coverage is limited to what’s on offer, both in area and time. In this case it was Kent County Council in 1990 and there was Lady Dixon (née Cormorant) lying alongside that very jetty (Photo 2). A small discovery perhaps, but a very satisfying one.
    David

• Advertisement

Colin J wrote in .....

"Sorry, David, but perhaps I should have shouted louder and earlier. If you are still willing to go ahead, then I would certainly want a copy. Reading the blog is essential reading, but whenever I meet up with you, there are always extra snippets that would do well in the book. Colin"

Well we are now fast approaching 50,000 'hits' in total and getting over 900 per week. If only a third of the regulars expressed similar interest ........:)
    David
    www.cormorantlightship.blogspot.co.uk

I have found a great deal of interesting material in the library of the Belfast Harbour Commissioners, the National Archives in Kew and the London Metropolitan Archives. I was hoping that the Commissioners for Irish Lights would also yield something useful. David Ryan has unearthed good photos from the CIL collection in the National Library of Ireland and I hope to find more when I visit this week. However it seems that the CIL Board Minutes and other possibly interesting material is out of reach. Apparently it is not kept in the CIL HQ, but has been stored elsewhere and is not accessible to the public. Also, although the Minutes should be easy to navigate, other documents are not catalogued and would take considerable effort to work through. A heavily over-worked private researcher does have access, but charges 30 euros per hour – definitely outside my budget!
    So, back on the ship, Simon would really like to get on and finish off the salon. As hanging very special wallpaper is what he does for a living, it should not be too difficult, were it not for the laws of physics. The structure of the deckhouse includes metal triangular fillets joining vertical beams to roof beams (not sure what they are called but I think in wooden ships they were called ‘knees’). The walls and the roof are now well insulated, but these fillets, or part of them, protrude through by about 16 x 17 x 20 inches (Photo 1).

Now they are of course bolted/welded to the metal sheeting which forms the roof and side walls, so they are nearly as cold as the outside. Those of you who paid attention in class will know that when warm, moist air comes into contact with a cold surface, condensation often forms – depending on the Dew Point (I paid attention). It certainly does on these fillets, especially now winter is upon us. Simon does not want water running down his expensive wallpaper, so I am experimenting with ways of preventing this – either by avoiding the fillets getting cold (extremely difficult), or by preventing the moist air reaching the cold metal.

My first idea is to glue an insulating material to the fillets and I am trying rubber at the moment. I bought some 2mm sheet (white) and stuck some to an odd piece of metal, leaving a bare strip which I submerged in ice water (Photo 2). Now the worst case scenario is when the room has been cold for a while and whatever heat the fillets have absorbed from the room has been lost by conduction to the outside. When Simon then lights the stove and the room heats up, the warm air (which holds more moisture than cold) will precipitate condensation on any surface colder than the Dew Point.

So I left my apparatus in my workshop (ambient 2°C these days!) for an hour or two and then brought it into the kitchen (ambient 17°C). After an hour I measured the temperature at various points on the metal and the rubber with a laser thermometer, to see whether the rubber surface stays warmer than the metal and avoids condensation. (Photo 3 – ignore the ice which had all but melted by this time. This is Photo 2 with temperatures added). To make sure the emissivity of the white rubber was not too different from that of the dull metal, I stuck small pieces of black tape to the rubber. Impressed?
    There was condensation on the exposed metal below the rubber and this had obviously precipitated before the exposed metal rose above the 0.5°C at which it emerged from the workshop. Doing the test again without the cold start produced no condensation on the metal. There was no condensation on the rubber strips in either case. Q.E.D.

We must now do an on-site test and I am sending Simon a suitable rubber piece. Of course the answer might be to keep the ship interior heated at all times in cold weather, or to run a large dehumidifier constantly, but until the lower deck space is insulated and some form of heating available down there (or Simon wins the Lottery), such extravagance is not an option.

If anyone out there has had this problem and found a solution, we will be glad to hear from you.
    David

Well my trip to Dublin did not start well. As the weather had been so cold, I decided to start up the Morris Minor well in advance. Well that was the plan, but it did not start – nomatter what I tried. I will not go into detail as this is not an old car blog. Suffice to say I left it a bit late before calling a taxi. £75 later I arrived at Liverpool Airport with 10 minutes or so to spare, but had not reckoned on security (shoes off, trouser belt off, coat off, shaving foam examined and bagged, cough mixture examined and confiscated etc etc) plus 3 miles of retail area to get through (I exaggerate only slightly). I was about 2 minutes too late. My pre-booked return fare was £58, but I had to pay a further £110 to transfer to the next flight. Now is that an administrative fee or a fine? And I forfeited my pre-booked airport parking fee and I left my gloves in the taxi and I had another 6 hours to kill! So far, so bad. Anyway, My Dublin friend David Ryan met me at the airport, in spite of the late hour and things began to go right.

The next morning we were ensconced in the Manuscripts Department of the National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, poring through photo albums donated by the Commissioners for Irish Lights. What a treasure trove! There were over 40 photographs of lightships. It seems that the Commissioners, as part of their duties, would tour around Ireland visiting lighthouses and lightships to make sure all was in order. They did this in reasonable style aboard the good ship Princess Alexandria (Photo 1), although occasionally the transfer by cutter to a lightship or a lighthouse must have been exciting in rough seas! (Photo 2)

Well I now have a collection of photographs of Irish lightships dating from the 1890s, when they all seem to have the hoistable lanterns; through the early 1900s, when some were hoistable and some fixed. Most of the ‘collection, were acquired during my Dublin trip and many of them are courtesy of the very eminent photographer who accompanied the Commissioners on their inspection tour, taking photographs with his Kodak Panoramic Camera and his No3 Folding Pocket Kodak. He was Sir Robert Ball, the Astronomer Royal of Ireland. I have to say that he took a very large number of ‘seascapes’ – acres of sea with nothing to see (except sea!).
    The Commissioners obviously took their task seriously and I found a lovely record of who was on the 1905 tour (Photo 3).

On an earlier tour, again headed by Sir William Watson, Mr W Douglass was one of the inspectors presumably in his capacity as Chief Engineer of CIL (Photo 4).

He was the engineer who produced the 1880 specification for the steel lantern masts – like the one which was judged to have collapsed and sunk the Puffin with all hands in 1896 (Photo 5).

All these photographs are © Commissioners for Irish Lights and courtesy of The National Library of Ireland.

Next time I will be showing you some more of the fascinating photos we found.
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There's definitely a book in your own adventures as well as the lightship restoration! Love the details of the inspection and the luxury of the Princess Alexandria - I'm sure they dined well on it. Served up on lots of nice CIL crested crockery no doubt.

Looking forward to seeing more of the lightship pics and be nice to the Morris Minor. :D

Fawlty%2BCar%2B2.jpg

Yes I did feel like lashing the Moggie as per John Cleese, but with an axe, not a tree branch! But back to the story .....

Following the adventures of the Commissioners as they inspected the lighthouses and lightships around the Irish coast has been fascinating. Life aboard the Alexandria was probably quite comfortable, but getting ashore on a rocky lighthouse promontory would have been tricky – some were accessed via a jib and rope hoist, with just one foot in a loop as support - and boarding lightships in choppy seas would have been just as exciting (Photo 811 – Guillemot 1905).
    Approaching lighthouses and lightships, which by their very nature were situated in dangerous waters, obviously required caution in a large vessel like the Alexandria. Hence the presence at the bow of a ‘Leadsman’ singing “Quarter less seven” and other strange incantations (Photo 812).
    Once aboard they took their inspection duties seriously, even when age and physique might cause problems! (Photo 813 – aboard Shamrock 1906). This is the first photo I have seen showing the anchor chain (one of them) draped half way along the ship from the bows to what must be a port leading to a chain locker. The chain is wrapped around a winch on the way.
    Now I have not one but two photographs showing this arrangement. I did wonder what the man on the left was examining (looks like a flower pot!) and I was puzzled by that tall black cylinder behind him (Photo 814).
    My first guess was a gas cylinder as I found a photo of the Commissioners ashore at a gas storage depot and there is a similar cylinder on the left of that scene (Photo 815). I estimated the capacity of the lightship cylinder to be about 45 cu ft and that is not enough to keep the lantern going all night for a few weeks between resupplies. Also the connection between it and the lantern which moves 30ft up the mast would be complicated? But look back to Post 149 and the photo of Torch on the Barrels station reveals all. The cylinder is part of the early fog-horn apparatus. Emerging from the top of the cylinder (out of shot in Photo 814 but clearly visible on Torch) is a very much elongated version of an old fashioned ear-trumpet.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Simon is cutting a hole in the stump of the lantern mast to see whether there is/was a ladder inside for access to the lofted lantern in days gone by. I will report next time.
    David

All these photographs are © Commissioners for Irish Lights and courtesy of The National Library of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Hi David,
    Enjoying the updates, just wondering as I may have missed but have you been out to the maritime museum in Dun Laoghaire apart from being a nice place they have an archive area with Lloyds registers and naval chronicles etc. It's still being curated and the work is being done by volunteers but may be worth a look. They have a revolving reflector from an old lighthouse that's worth going to see on its own.
    http://www.mariner.ie/?gclid=CMP7idWHvMMCFYGD2wodADkAOw

Hi Freedive. Yes my helper in Dublin lives very near to the museum and we visited it last Wednesday. Without his help I might have got lost asking my way to "Dun Logaire" instead of "Dun Leary". We had a very helpful lady volunteer show us around and there were two large lightship models there. The Lloyds Registers do not include Irish lightships.
    David

The preservation of Cormorant / Lady Dixon is progressing slowly but surely. Simon has at last purchased the protective tiles needed to cover the newly insulated and waterproofed deck. The rubber tiles have come from a playground and are one metre square. He needs about 60 of them, but the deal is for 120, so there will be plenty of spares! They weigh about 2.4tons in total and will be delivered early this week. At around 45lbs per tile, Simon will have to make many trips along the catwalk with his trolley!

He has decided not to use the tiles on the stern deck. Some time ago he bought a load of discarded hardwood decking and, after cleaning it up, intends to turn it back into ‘decking’ (Photo 820).
    To make proper use of his new log-burning stove, Simon has had some radiators installed. Some are temporary, but all provide welcome warmth. The first to be installed was a small one to absorb the heat of the water from the back boiler, even if all others were turned off (a ‘safety’ radiator) and it had to be situated above the level of that boiler (Photo 821).

Eventually it will be boxed in. The little bathroom needed some heat and warming towels would be a bonus, so in went a smart towel rail (Photo 822).
    Then Simon found a very smart radiator which fitted in beautifully at the top of the spiral staircase (Photo 823).

A bit more history….
    I came across a very nice old (1870) book ‘Lighthouses and Lightships’ by W.H. Davenport Adams. I am sure he will not mind me quoting bits from his book as they give a great feel of life aboard the early lightships …….
    “The form of the lightship varies according to its locality: in Ireland the hull is more elongated than in England; but in all cases the object to be attained is the same – resistance to the force of the winds and waves. It is desired that in the most violent tides, in the midst of the angriest billows, and in situations the most exposed to the influence of the currents, it shall drag as little as possible upon its anchor. That it may at all times and in all conditions preserve the same maritime position, it is securely moored. Like a galley-slave, riveted to an iron chain, it can move neither to the right nor to the left.
    Let us now say a few words in reference to the resolute crews who man these vessels. The crew of an English lightship consists of a master, a mate, and nine men. Three out of the nine are intrusted with the service of the lamps; the six others, who always include among them a good carpenter, attend to the order and cleanliness of the vessel. It must be remembered, however, that the nine men are never all on board together; one-third are always enjoying an interval of rest on shore. Experience has proved that a perpetual sojourn on board a ship of this kind is too much for the moral and physical forces of human nature. The crushing monotony of the same scenes, the eternal spectacle of foam-crested waters rolling wherever the eye is turned, the ceaseless noise of the winds, the everlasting murmur of the ocean – swelling at times into so terrible a roar that it renders inaudible the human voice – could not fail to exercise a depressing influence on the mind. But even allowing for the occasional vacation spent upon land, the life is so uniform and unexciting that it is wonderful any man can be found to endure it; and the crews of our lightships may assuredly be ranked among the curiosities of civilization”.

He has a lovely turn of phrase doesn’t he?
    David

Well the tiles arrived ‘safely’ – they were a day late and the truck was not carrying the fork-lift that Simon had booked and paid for! Anyway, the pallets were duly dumped on the water’s edge, all 2 ½ tons of them (Photo 831) and the truck driver went away cursing and blinding.

Simon loaded up his trolley for the first of many trips and soon found that the tiles were too wide for the walk-way (Photo 832). So it became the first of many, many trips!

Of course he could not resist breaking off in the midst of all this toil in order to try a few out on the deck. Now back in December, when the roofing felt had just been applied, the deck looked very smart, (Photo 833) but was of course a bit vulnerable to accidental damage.

These tile proved to be exactly the right size, without trimming, to lie along the side decks and with a power wash will look really good (Photo 834).

And Simon has started on the bow area (the easy bits) and that looks pretty good too (Photo 835). Wait till he gets to fitting the mats around the hawspipes and the like!

David

• Advertisement

“The visitor of a lightship cannot fail to be struck with its admirable condition, and with the fine appearance of its crew (Photo 841). Sun-tanned and weather-beaten, they are models of sailors: frank, self-reliant, unassuming, obedient, nimble, vigorous, and resolute. (Photo 842 – Repairs aboard Osprey in 1905)
    They seem well-contented with their lot, and if they complain at all, it is of the quantity and quality of their provisions.
    The ration of bread (seven pounds a week) is not quite sufficient for hearty men, and I confess, from my own experience, that the sharp air to which they are exposed is well adapted to whet ones appetite.
    When they are at sea, their food is supplied; when on shore, they receive instead one shilling and three-pence a day. Their wages are fifty-five shillings per month; the master receives £80 per annum.
    Two men at a time are charged with the care of the lamps, the third being on shore; one of these two performs for a month the functions of a cook. Formerly, if we may believe public rumour, the lightship crews, isolated by continental tempests which rendered the sea impracticable, have been reduced to the extremest necessities, have even perished of hunger.
    To prevent the recurrence of such calamities, a steamboat or a good stout sailing-vessel regularly visits the lightship once a month. In the worst weather the communication is never interrupted for a longer period than six weeks, and the stock of provisions is always sufficient to last the crew for even a longer time”.
    ‘Lighthouses and Lightships’ by W.H. Davenport Adams.

Some of the ships in the CIL/NLI photographs are equipped with fog horns, but some still have the fog bell on the foredeck (Photo 843). By 1905 some were also equipped with an underwater or submarine bell as sound carries further underwater than in air. An example can be seen hanging over the side on a chain.

I suppose many warning devices were invented and tried, including a submarine ‘horn’ (Photo 844) and a weird American device which looks as though it uses the hull as a sounding board (Photo 845). The effect on the ship’s crew must have been rather startling!

David

Advertisement