Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

just on the way to buy engagement ring

• 22-11-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

As said just on my way to buy an engagement ring any advise to pass on from the great people of boards thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

gotthebug wrote: »
    As said just on my way to buy an engagement ring any advise to pass on from the great people of boards thanks

dont buy it in ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

As a couple or on your own? My advice is don't buy on your first day looking at them. Talk to a few people take it in and go back when you have come to a decision.
    Also, I preferred having input into the ring, than being presented with it at a proposal, so if you are buying on your own, make sure that's what your partner wants.

deckycoop wrote: »
    dont buy it in ireland....

If you are only concerned with size... and not good design, supporting local craftspeople etc. A perfectly nice ring can be bought at a budget here.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

fits wrote: »
    As a couple or on your own? My advice is don't buy on your first day looking at them. Talk to a few people take it in and go back when you have come to a decision.
    Also, I preferred having input into the ring, than being presented with it at a proposal, so if you are buying on your own, make sure that's what your partner wants.

No going as a couple won't trust myself to put in the leg work on my own I'd probably just pick summit in the first place I see .not in a rush to get it .any advise with dealing with the stores/salepeople

Not really, only shop around and haggle. Worst that can happen is that they say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

;)
    fits wrote: »
    If you are only concerned with size... and not good design, supporting local craftspeople etc. A perfectly nice ring can be bought at a budget here.

yes but wat lady wants a perfectly nice ring. at a budget..

i am married a year and when i went about her engagement ring i went down every road possible to avoid a nice ring.. it took 6months. several trips to jewellers and several nites of research.. a nice ring in ireland for my budget for what she liked and wanted was someting to be laughted at.. i was quoted 4500 for a half carats plain as day ring in galway.. centre stone was only .48 for a carat.. total carat was less tan .8. white gold and wud have looked lost of her hand..after my research i found a ring .99 carat centre stone. with .25 carats total pave set in her white gold band.. came in at 2800 euro.. when and got it valued and lets just say i was very suprised.. no matter what your budget is, if u avoid rip of ireland ur wife to be will be happier because u went else where..

i used http://www.diamond-heaven.co.uk/?setcur=2

great site to play around with.. ul find every size shape and style ul ever need here..

and if u can get some1 comin home from usa over xmas id shop here
    http://www.jamesallen.com/

avoid rip off ireland and give ur wife to be someting to show off at the budget u can afford..

Each to their own deckycoop. Yes you will get a bigger stone for your money in US but there is risk to buying online, or flights to book to get it.

Also I think the goldsmiths here make far nicer designs than anything I have seen from abroad, but, as I said, each to their own.
    By the way 4500 for a half carat is very high even in ireland I would think. Was it an amazing stone or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

My two cents is enjoy buying it! If you read everything on here and other sites about buying a ring you would be months looking for the best value and spec for your money. set a budget, find you you like and meets the spec, haggle like a demon and buy it! then go for a few drinks and have a great day!
    at the end of the day you could go abroad to save a few bob and get a higher spec, will anybody notice the difference - unlikely!
    Each to their own though. We got my ring after two hours of looking around a few shops in Dublin, having never tried a ring on before! had a great day, got a great ring and for what little it's worth, it too was valued almost twice what we paid for. Have a great day and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Are u just heading Into shops?
    I'd do some research online first about diamonds and the band.
    be sure to know your budget and stick to it.
    I'd highly recorecommend you arrange an appointment with Voltaire Diamonds along with checking the usual good high street jewellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

+ 1 On Voltaire Diamonds great service they can arrange for only rings in your price range to be on view so She will still have a choice and you wont be sweating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

;)

i am married a year and when i went about her engagement ring i went down every road possible to avoid a nice ring.. it took 6months. several trips to jewellers and several nites of research.. a nice ring in ireland for my budget for what she liked and wanted was someting to be laughted at.. i was quoted 4500 for a half carats plain as day ring in galway.. centre stone was only .48 for a carat.. total carat was less tan .8. white gold and wud have looked lost of her hand..after my research i found a ring .99 carat centre stone. with .25 carats total pave set in her white gold band.. came in at 2800 euro.. when and got it valued and lets just say i was very suprised.. no matter what your budget is, if u avoid rip of ireland ur wife to be will be happier because u went else where..

great site to play around with.. ul find every size shape and style ul ever need here..

avoid rip off ireland and give ur wife to be someting to show off at the budget u can afford..

That's great but not everyone wants a big flashy look at how much he loves me rock to show off. Sometimes its the experience of going to buy the ring as much as the ring itself that is important.

Good luck OP!

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Many thanks for your kind words whiskeyman and e30fitz.

We would be delighted to meet with you to discuss your requirements.

Please visit our website:

www.voltairediamonds.ie

Also have a look at our Youtube channel where you will see lots more styles :

https://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds

If you have a very specific ring style in mind, our workshop can easily handmake it for you.

Please feel free to PM me here or get in touch with us in the office.

Enjoy rest of your weekend.
    Séamus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I chose my ring in Ireland and we were very happy. I think they were having a 30% off sale at the time, which did sweeten the deal.
    I think as long as it's something you can afford, and you're happy with the quality, design and fit, that's what matters. Of course you can always go to Antwerp and the like and smuggle in a better priced version, once you're not paying tax on it, of course it's going to be cheaper already, before even taking price difference into account.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

;)

I got exactly the size of ring that I wanted, in a style I loved, got 30% off and paid half of what its valuation is, in my home town in Ireland.

Advertisement