Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

hen party - Sister in Law not coming

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

snoopy29 wrote: »
    BTW her hen party was 4 years ago

So you were bitter because your wedding was postponed, but still waited over 4 years to set a new date?! Seriously?! If you were that bitter, would you not have just set a date for 6 months later?

We can just see your side of it all here. You say you were bitter/ put out. How did you react? Did she know this? Did you sulk, make digs, get upset? If so, and even if you have made efforts to make this up, having your own hen now is likely to bring all of this back up with the SIL. If she remembers you acting out cos of her hen, she is likely to just want to avoid yours altogether, even if things have improved since then. Us women have long memories...

That said, it does sound quite petty and it does sound like the MIL is trying to smooth things over. I think the above suggestion of drinks out between you and the SIL where you try to bury the hatchet is a good one - although maybe wait til after the wedding. She is going to be a huge part of your life for the rest of your life, so you want to get along with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mistress Meeker

I'm with Dovies on this one. Pick your battles carefully. Put on your best smile tonight and get it over with. Don't worry too much about your SIL not making your hen do in December, you'll probably have a better night without her being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

No it wasn't because I was bitter we didn't get married, jeez I'm not that much of a cow! We both then lost our jobs in the following months, ended up moving back to our parents in Armagh and Dublin as we had no jobs and then eventually moved North a few years ago, where I have found it hard to settle, that's why the wedding wasn't replanned.

She never knew I was upset, my OH never told his family about this and I never said anything to her about it.

I do want to get on with her and I thought we were. When we bought our house a few months ago she was telling everyone how happy she was we would live nearby and her son would know his uncle etc. I guess when I moved to Belfast I did consider her a friend but the whole family knew I was very lonely up here and no one ever asked me to meet for a cup of tea or go for a walk etc. I would have done this for her if she had moved to Dublin and knew no one.

kkcatlou wrote: »
    So you were bitter because your wedding was postponed, but still waited over 4 years to set a new date?! Seriously?! If you were that bitter, would you not have just set a date for 6 months later?

We can just see your side of it all here. You say you were bitter/ put out. How did you react? Did she know this? Did you sulk, make digs, get upset? If so, and even if you have made efforts to make this up, having your own hen now is likely to bring all of this back up with the SIL. If she remembers you acting out cos of her hen, she is likely to just want to avoid yours altogether, even if things have improved since then. Us women have long memories...

That said, it does sound quite petty and it does sound like the MIL is trying to smooth things over. I think the above suggestion of drinks out between you and the SIL where you try to bury the hatchet is a good one - although maybe wait til after the wedding. She is going to be a huge part of your life for the rest of your life, so you want to get along with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

She sounds like an absolute "Dose" to put it nicely and it sounds like you are the bigger person here..

Very sad to hear but some women are just like this... I would try and be the bigger person and leave her at it.

I know it is upsetting that she is not going but it sounds like you are better off not having her there anyway.. Any person who uses an excuse like that for not going, again sorry but it sounds like she is getting a semi dig in there by saying she is going for everyday drinks with the friends she meets everyday...

Maybe after a few drinks on the hen night too, you might be a little bit more chatting about how things went down and she could go off on one, and ruin the night.. Sod her, let her call whatever night they want to call "the family hen" but be sure not to go out of your way to accommodate them just got to the show night and walk away..

And then spell her name wrong on the wedding invite and give her a bad seat at reception by a drafty door!! Ohhh vengence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I admittedly bore a grudge against her because our wedding was cancelled in favour of hers.

No - you and your fiancé decided to cancel your own wedding (by 4 years apparently). Nobody forced you to.
    If someone from your MIL's side of the family suggested you should cancel your wedding they should have been politely told to PFO
    It sounds like you didn't stand up for yourselves and are now blaming your SIL for this.

On the issue of her not attending your hen - why would you want to force someone who doesn't want to be there to attend? Especially if it seems you hold some kind of grudge against her anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't want her to come now, I was merely asking for people's opinions if I was right to be upset or not. I thought she was a friend/family that's all and I understand that people are busy, specially with the time of year and Christmas parties etc. and some of my own relations cant make it due to work etc. and that's fine. Just felt like it was a complete "eff you" that she wasn't bothered cancelling her own plans to attend this, that's all.

Am just a bit hurt by it, not looking to come across as a cow or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mistress Meeker

For your sake, you need to be the bigger person. I wouldn't appear to be bothered by her no show at your hen do. If you appear bothered or bring it up, she will probably think she has "got one up" against you. I would carry on like nothing has happened. She sounds a bit like my SIL TBH. Nice as pie to start with but as the years have gone by she has pulled some "stunts" but I chose to rise above them. Most recent thing she did was to delete me as a friend from facebook. Pretty lame as I only post family related events abount my kids for my friends and family to see. Thankfully, she lives in the UK so don't have to see her very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

You should really p*ss her off and say you are having a second hen only for people from Boards.ie who have provided you with support and advice over the years. I for one would be game.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

snoopy, if you want to resolve this fully, then ignore any talk of one-ups or point scoring, or narky, passive aggressive comments or behaviour. Because when you score a point, she will look for one back, and on and on, and in the meantime your family life suffers. Where does that end? You are living near this woman, and she is your family, so why make an enemy out of her over something that frankly, isn't worth it? I mean it is a hen do at the end of the day, does it matter that much? Playing games is for kids, and the person who choses not to play, but instead addresses things reasonably and honestly is the one who ultimately can keep their head held high. Accept that you probably hurt her by not going, accept that it was you and your fiance's decision to postpone your wedding, not hers. Accept that in her mind she is only getting even and that in truth she is probably thinking in a very similar way that you are. This doesn't need to be an issue, so why make it one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Leighton Moldy Sliver

I don't want her to come now, I was merely asking for people's opinions if I was right to be upset or not. I thought she was a friend/family that's all and I understand that people are busy, specially with the time of year and Christmas parties etc. and some of my own relations cant make it due to work etc. and that's fine. Just felt like it was a complete "eff you" that she wasn't bothered cancelling her own plans to attend this, that's all.

Am just a bit hurt by it, not looking to come across as a cow or anything else.

I agree that she should make the effort to go. Is there any chance that she doesn't realise how important it is to you? (some people can be innocently self absorbed and actually don't have a clue how selfish their actions come across) Or is she the type of person who would not go just to spite you? If it's the latter then I wouldn't bother if I were you, I'd just bite my tongue and get on with it. If it's the former then I'd have a gentle chat with her and just tell her how disappointed I am that she won't be there. I also don't think your MIL should be interfering but like some other posters have said, you should choose your battles wisely. However, be sure to let your OH know how upset you are over the whole thing and tell him you won't be putting up with this sort of crap from his family in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Completely agree with looksee. I think if you don’t want a “family hen” with the in-laws (and your own family missing), then don’t. Just let them know you’ll pay for your own ticket and that you hadn’t intended a family hen, perhaps point out to them that your family won’t be present.
    Shame about your SIL but it’s prob a little touch of you reep what you sow. You didn’t go to one of hers (in her mind) so she’ll skip one of yours – while she assumes you’ll have a second.
    Don’t stress about it. Christmas nights out can be precious to people (I know for me it can be hard to get a gang together at Christmas time) so I can understand she doesn’t want to cancel.

If you are trying to forge relations perhaps suggest to her that just you and her try have a night out together over the Christmas so she can see you’re not put out and still keen to get to know her better……..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Your dead right to be upset with her!! but just don't hold the grudge.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why does it matter so much if she is there? I was at a hen's where the btb's sil didn't attend. They are not very close and she wasn't missed. If you make it a big deal it will be a big deal. Just enjoy your night with the people who will be there. Its not work all that stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I'm with most people, don't let it get to you too much. Yes, its cr*p that she can't come, but look, she's the one that's missing out on it, and if she is not going to get 1 up, then that's her own problem.
    I would get rid of this Family Hen wording, as it seems maybe its just being called this to make her feel better that shes not attending your actual hen?
    At the end of the day, you have to get along with each other long after all this hen business, so just rise above and enjoy yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Milly33 wrote: »
    Any person who uses an excuse like that for not going, again sorry but it sounds like she is getting a semi dig in there by saying she is going for everyday drinks with the friends she meets everyday..

I agree with the above, and think this bit is what would put me off wanting to have here there in the first place.

She could've come up with a better excuse other than drinks with friends not to attend a hen. A hen is supposed to be a one-time event, same as the wedding. However, if she really couldn't be arsed to come to your hen over something she could do any week with her friends, then all the more reason not to have her there. She'd only sour the atmosphere, so just have fun at your hen and forget about her.

Yes, it is upsetting that 4 years later she is still getting back at you (if that's the case), but if you let it show, then (if she really is trying to get a dig in) she'll only be happy that it succeeded. For your own sake, let it go with respect to her.

The MIL shouldn't be interfering in this. Turning a completely different event into an all-in package is ridiculous IMO. If they didn't want to give you birthday present and just want to give you money back for your ticket as a present, it's a bit pathetic. Now turning it into a hen?! If it was me, I'd say don't worry about the birthday present, I wanted a night out with my in-law family anyway and smile. You don't have to lie and say you wanted to go, but you did want to do it to keep the peace. As wrt it being a hen, just say one night out is enough for you and you don't want any more fuss over it. Don't mention it any more though and leave it at that.

If at some stage in the future you and your SIL end up have a tete-a-tete over a glass of wine where you're both relaxed and enjoying each-other's company, you could say that you missed her at your hen and it's a shame she couldn't make it but don't make it sound like you're blaming her, also apologise for not having made her second hen and say you regretted it. Personally I would find it difficult to get into a situation of "clearing the air" with someone who was hostile towards me, as I don't think it would work as it was intended and would only tense up the relationship more, but that's just me. Play it by ear.

Also, this is something you should discuss with your OH. If he's a mummy's boy, it may be difficult for you in the future as if he "closes ranks", as you said, with his family against you, you could be on your own. You guys need to be a team; he doesn't need to take sides, but he needs to at the very least understand your feelings and why you are upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I don't mean to play devils advocate but maybe she's really looking forward to that night with her friends, maybe she doesn't see them all that regularly? She could also not want to be in her own at your hen? It might be a lot more innocent and just a little selfish rather then revenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Tbh, you cannot hold a grudge that you had to postpone your wedding due to your SIL. The only people you can hold a grudge against is yourself and fiancé because you two made the decision to postpone it. I wouldn't have postponed my wedding just because my SIL was also getting married around the same time.

Did you go on the night out? If the SIL doesn't want to go to your hen, then ignore it. That's her problem. Life's too short to be letting unnecessary drama upset your wedding plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,547 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Two hens? Is the celtic tiger back or something???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Two hens? Is the celtic tiger back or something???

Apparently it is on it's way!

I was asked by two friends to go to two. One abroad and one away . One friend was really possed that no one could go abroad the other didn't care. The second hen was a night out in Dublin for both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Am I missing something here? A lot of people are saying OP didn't go to her SIL hen therefore she can't be annoyed that SIL is not going to hers... But OP did go to ONE of her SILs hens. One where she had to go and pay and also stay over an entire night at. I'm sorry but seriously, IMO OP did her duty and did go to her SIL hen. Who the heck has 2 hen parties? And if one does they honestly can't Expect people to attend both and get annoyed if they only attend one?? That is beyond ridiculous! It's on par with having a wedding abroad and being annoyed because a few people can't afford to go.

OP you have done nothing wrong. You DID go to your SILs hen. And IMO you are entitled to be upset. I would be extremely upset if I'm honest. But whether there's anything you can do or want to do about it is another story. It may be best left. You could get your fiancé to have a word with her tho and ask her if there is anything the matter? Leave the MIL out of it completely. This is none of her business.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I didnt go to either SIL's hen parties. I just told them, "I dont do hens"

It had nothing to do with how I feel about them, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Build a bridge and all that guff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This thread just reinforced the pointless nature of hen parties for me.

Advertisement