Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How long to Shop for / Prepare Engagement Ring

• 06-09-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Afternoon folks,

I am just wondering, if you had a certain date in mind to "pop the question". How long in advance would you need to be seriously looking at rings in order to have it in time for the day.

I am talking about buying in Ireland, e.g. from Voltaire or others etc...

I am sure there are variables, but any general pointers would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

for me it took 2 months from the time we decided to get engaged until we picked up my ring. cos i had to a. decided on what type of ring I wanted / b. where to get it made and c. changed my mind on the diamond half way through

my ring took 4 weeks to make but everywhere is different

but it you are picking the style of ring im sure it wont take as long as from looking on the internet at styles I had one in my head and I thought that was all I wanted and went for a complete opposite when I start trying them on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

name0123 wrote: »
    for me it took 2 months from the time we decided to get engaged until we picked up my ring. cos i had to a. decided on what type of ring I wanted / b. where to get it made and c. changed my mind on the diamond half way through

my ring took 4 weeks to make but everywhere is different

but it you are picking the style of ring im sure it wont take as long as from looking on the internet at styles I had one in my head and I thought that was all I wanted and went for a complete opposite when I start trying them on

Thanks.

Thing is we have discussed getting engaged, but set no time frame - other than maybe in the next 12 months. She has sent me photos of her styles of choice (two different ones) and wants the actual ring to be a surprise rather then we both go shopping for it. So I will be getting the ring and then proposing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

It really depends. I picked my ring in the second shop I went to. They had it in my size so I was able to take it away that day. Obviously if you get it made, it might take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Catherine12

Uriel. wrote: »
    Afternoon folks,

I am just wondering, if you had a certain date in mind to "pop the question". How long in advance would you need to be seriously looking at rings in order to have it in time for the day.

Hi Uriel,
    We went with Loyes Diamonds in Dublin and they had a decent range of rings in stock so we selected one of those. Think it can take from 2 weeks to about 4 depending on how complicated the design is and what sort of diamond you want.
    We went with a 1.0 carat solitaire in white gold which is quite common but also quite beautiful!

Thanks for the comments.

I had toyed with the idea of going to Antwerp, and although it seems you can get some great bargains over there, I think I am going to stay local - around the greater Dublin zone.

I have voltaire on my list and I might check out Loyes Diamonds (thanks Catherine12) - does anyone else have recommendations?

I'd almost prefer to have the ring specially made, but then if I find the style of ring that is the preference, then an outright purchase would be ok of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

Hi Uriel Im just wondering how you got on in Loyes Diamonds and Voltaire. We were going to go to Antwerp, looked into it in great detail, there are some great threads and advice on boards. I made contact with 2 jewellers over there, but I haven't gone ahead with anything. I seen a few videos that Seamus from Voltaire made and he seems impressive. Just wondering how you got on, where you ended up purchasing, my budget is 3,500-4,000, I believe in Antwerp I would get an excellent ring, one of good quality, not sure what I would get in Ireland, I seen ring in Ireland in that range and the carat, colour, size etc is a lot less than what people seem to get in antwerp. I read an article on the Independent that Loyes in Dublin wrote and it was impressive. Just wondering if you could let me know how you found Loyes and Voltaire and what your experience of them was. Thanks

Noisin wrote: »
    Hi Uriel Im just wondering how you got on in Loyes Diamonds and Voltaire. We were going to go to Antwerp, looked into it in great detail, there are some great threads and advice on boards. I made contact with 2 jewellers over there, but I haven't gone ahead with anything. I seen a few videos that Seamus from Voltaire made and he seems impressive. Just wondering how you got on, where you ended up purchasing, my budget is 3,500-4,000, I believe in Antwerp I would get an excellent ring, one of good quality, not sure what I would get in Ireland, I seen ring in Ireland in that range and the carat, colour, size etc is a lot less than what people seem to get in antwerp. I read an article on the Independent that Loyes in Dublin wrote and it was impressive. Just wondering if you could let me know how you found Loyes and Voltaire and what your experience of them was. Thanks

Hi Noisin,

I am afraid I haven't moved forward since. However, it is my aim to have initial consultations with a few jewellers in Dublin within in the next 21 days... depending on how that goes, I will decide whether it is worth going to Antwerp or not. I'll let you know how I get on though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

Thanks. Do let us know how you get on would be interested to hear. Best of luck!

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Hi Noisin,

Many thanks for mentioning Voltaire Diamonds.

We would be delighted to show you our collection. So long as you compare "like with like" our prices will not be beaten in the high street or in Antwerp.

Please visit our Youtube channel where you will see several hundred videos of rings we have made for our customers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds/videos?live_view=500&flow=grid&view=0&sort=dd

Please PM me if you have any questions?

Many thanks
    Seamus

http://www.voltairediamonds.ie/

As the thread has been bumped, I think It's appropriate to let you know how I got on.

After toying with the idea of hitting Antwerp I decided to stay local instead.
    I had appointments with a couple of the high street companies (Fields etc.), an appointment with Voltaire and also with Loyes.

High street shops I dismissed relatively quickly to be honest. Most were ok, but found it difficult to get what I wanted and some were poor.

I met Voltaire on a Saturday morning and had a fantastic consultation with Sabrina, who was exceptionally nice, knowledgeable, not pushy and had real close attention to detail. I had identified a few rings in advance on the Youtube page and had an idea of the sort I wanted.

After discussion, Voltaire informed mr they'd send a detailed spec via email with costs etc. and that they'd go ahead and make up the ring according to the spec with zero obligation to purchase.

By the end of the day, that spec had arrived.

I had an appointment with Loyes later that day. Loyes were also very knowledgeable, for relaxed atmosphere with no pressure and very informative. I didn't really see anything there that caught my eye in anyway (though I think at that stage I had had my mind made up).

I met Sabrina again a number of weeks later to pick to view the ring etc and it was perfect. Everything that could have been asked for and more. The spec was also slightly better than had originally been discussed.

I must say it was an absolute pleasure and a doddle to deal with Voltaire and I couldn't highly recommend them enough to be perfectly honest. An independent valuation report was also forwarded to me by the end of the day.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I bought an emerald ring online as a token ring for the proposal. Proposed on holidays and then when we got back to London we went to Hatton Garden together and browsed through the many shops on that street. The selection there is huge so she tried on lots of rings and eventually chose the very first one she tried on. It happened to be a perfect fit so I paid for it and we went to a wine bar to get drunk on Prosecco!

It took me a few weeks to find the emerald ring online and about a week for it to be delivered. The longest time however was spent saving for the real engagement ring. We didn't get one that was overly expensive but it wasn't cheap either so need a few months of savings before the proposal date.

If anything that would be my only advise. Save up plenty of money before proposing. Not only will the ring cost money but you might want to celebrate too and then you're usually asked by family and friends if you've set the date so you might start looking at a venue. If you choose one you then need a sizeable deposit. So if I was to do it all over again I would have saved a little bit longer before popping the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Uriel. wrote: »
    Afternoon folks,

Pet hate when people get engaged and spend months looking for this "amazing" glass rock to go on a finger - how lame!

I proposed in London and went to the place where you get the rings there the next day with her... thats the way to do it... quick and memorable, not this ordeal of crappiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Would you not ask the GF if she wants to pick the ring herself?? Saves a whole lot of hassle..

I did loads of research, so I knew what we would be looking at,, then on the day,, strolled into Fields on Grafton street and she picked out a nice one after about an hour,, all she cared about was how it looked,, she wasn't bothered as much as me about quality etc.. so once she is happy.. downstairs its nice and private,, we didn't feel rushed.. had lunch booked and a night in a fancy hotel to make a day of it..

I know I could have gotten better value elsewhere, but sure,, its about making it a bit special for the girl.. god knows its all down hill from here.. :)

Either way,, have something to do after you pop the question,, I really recommend making a full day/night of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Hi Uriel,
    We went with Loyes Diamonds in Dublin and they had a decent range of rings in stock so we selected one of those. Think it can take from 2 weeks to about 4 depending on how complicated the design is and what sort of diamond you want.
    We went with a 1.0 carat solitaire in white gold which is quite common but also quite beautiful!

I had a really great experience with Loyes. I was there for two appointments talking to Stacey(the owner)looking at various rings and diamonds. She took lots of time and gave me what I know now to be really sound advise. I was a bit ambitious at the start with the size of a diamond I was trying to get for my budget but I can honestly say she didn't once try and get me to spend more. I found some of the people in the shops around town a bit cheeky trying to get me to spend more.
    After shopping around I went back for a second appointment and Stacey had no problems showing me more diamonds and options again. I picked a diamond that was slightly under what I had intended to spend but has lots of sparkle. In the end the whole process took 5 days.
    Its a really lovely ring. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I bought an emerald ring online as a token ring for the proposal. Proposed on holidays and then when we got back to London we went to Hatton Garden together and browsed through the many shops on that street. The selection there is huge so she tried on lots of rings and eventually chose the very first one she tried on. It happened to be a perfect fit so I paid for it and we went to a wine bar to get drunk on Prosecco!

It took me a few weeks to find the emerald ring online and about a week for it to be delivered. The longest time however was spent saving for the real engagement ring. We didn't get one that was overly expensive but it wasn't cheap either so need a few months of savings before the proposal date.

If anything that would be my only advise. Save up plenty of money before proposing. Not only will the ring cost money but you might want to celebrate too and then you're usually asked by family and friends if you've set the date so you might start looking at a venue. If you choose one you then need a sizeable deposit. So if I was to do it all over again I would have saved a little bit longer before popping the question.

Whats Hatton Garden like to pick out one of these from? Will have to bite the bullet on it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 funky_dave

Hi guys. Just wondering what kind of level that the likes of Voltaire and Loyes would be at financially? Have a budget of €3000 to €3500 but get the impression that they're for more a high end budget. Would I be wasting my time going there?

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Hi funky_dave,

Many thanks for mentioning Voltaire Diamonds on this thread.

Our prices for engagement rings start at approx €1k. You will get a beautiful engagement ring for your price range.

We would be delighted to meet with you.

Please visit our website http://www.voltairediamonds.ie/ to see just some of our styles.

Also, visit our Youtube channel where you will see videos of lots more styles:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds

Please PM here or call the office if you would like to book an appointment with us?

Many thanks
    Séamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Loyes Diamonds: Stacey

funky_dave wrote: »
    Hi guys. Just wondering what kind of level that the likes of Voltaire and Loyes would be at financially? Have a budget of €3000 to €3500 but get the impression that they're for more a high end budget. Would I be wasting my time going there?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the mention.
    Please don't be under any such impression. Here at Loyes our engagement rings start from €1500 and everyone is treated in the same respectful and professional manner regardless of their budget.
    You would be able to purchase a very beautiful ring for the budget you mentioned.

Please take a look at our website or our youtube channel to view our collection (sorry I'm not allowed to leave links as I am a new user)

Kind regards,

Stacey

I had a really great experience with Loyes. I was there for two appointments talking to Stacey(the owner)looking at various rings and diamonds. She took lots of time and gave me what I know now to be really sound advise. I was a bit ambitious at the start with the size of a diamond I was trying to get for my budget but I can honestly say she didn't once try and get me to spend more. I found some of the people in the shops around town a bit cheeky trying to get me to spend more.
    After shopping around I went back for a second appointment and Stacey had no problems showing me more diamonds and options again. I picked a diamond that was slightly under what I had intended to spend but has lots of sparkle. In the end the whole process took 5 days.
    Its a really lovely ring. Very happy.

Thank you so much 'Kevin the Kid' - I have a pretty good idea who you are behind the nom de plume. I hope the proposal went well (PM me). Don't forget to have your fiancée drop in for a free ring cleaning when she feels the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

im off to antwerpin 2 weeks. My partner knows what she wants and has made a few appointments over tjere and has told the jewelers what the style abd budget is.

we went to applebys in dublin at the weekend and tried on a few of the same style carot etc and the saving is going to be upwards of two grand including the trip.

• Advertisement

Puibo wrote: »
    im off to antwerpin 2 weeks. My partner knows what she wants and has made a few appointments over tjere and has told the jewelers what the style abd budget is.

we went to applebys in dublin at the weekend and tried on a few of the same style carot etc and the saving is going to be upwards of two grand including the trip.

Hi Puibo, I will PM you on this.

Advertisement