Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pregnant an confused.

Options
  • 13-11-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi im 26 years old living with my partner we jst found out we r pregnant!we are both on socail welfare due to been let go from work.Can anyone plz tel me what our entitlements are hospital bag,buggy and cot ect..and all so about socail welfare for a couple with a baby?im not tryn to get evrythin for free or hande to me im a hard workin girl who is stuck in a hard place at d mo..no hate plz..thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Maybe ring citizens advice about your maternity leave I think it depends on when you were let go from work. There is no allowance for hospital bags or cots anymore I think there used to be. Bit of a ridiculous allowance!! Start now buying things for your bag. A pack of maternity towels one week, a pack of vests for baby the next etc. You will have everything you need when baby comes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

And go to done deal etc - so much second hand stuff going cheap. I got my cot for 50, buggy for 80 etc. Also local Facebook groups sell bags of clothes cheap and your local SVP gets buggies etc and congratulations

Actually there are facebook pages where lately I have seen people putting up baby clothes free. The likes of buy and sell I think. Where are you based op?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Hi im 26 years old living with my partner we jst found out we r pregnant!we are both on socail welfare due to been let go from work.Can anyone plz tel me what our entitlements are hospital bag,buggy and cot ect..and all so about socail welfare for a couple with a baby?im not tryn to get evrythin for free or hande to me im a hard workin girl who is stuck in a hard place at d mo..no hate plz..thanks in advance

There aren't any allowances. I'm in the same situation, luckily our parents are buying the expensive things. All we had to buy was a bigger car. Ok, that was expensive but worth it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hopefully your partner finds a job soon.
    Adverts.ie and your local for sale and swap groups are great for picking stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Was on illness benefit all through my pregnancy and managed to get sorted for everything by buying stuff from adverts, done deal etc. if you buy bits every week it works out ok. You will have to start buying a bit earlier than usual. I had my car seats bought at 4.5months as came across a bargain etc.. Baby is not going to care that you don't have brand new fancy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 twikkletoes14

Thank you so much everyone ur great help mind is at ease a little now..will try adverts and donedeal!wasnt lookin for handouts as der was a system in place years ago when my nephew was born..bt great to no i dnt ave to waste my time with an cwo now!im based in kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Can you please not post in text speak.

There aren't any allowances. I'm in the same situation, luckily our parents are buying the expensive things. All we had to buy was a bigger car. Ok, that was expensive but worth it.

Thanks we both ave cars so we r ok dat way..dats great!both family on both side are great to us too but i would feel comfortable lettn dem buy d stuuf our baby needs!we get d couples allowance from social welfare everyweek works out about 300 maybe..ave u any idea wat is given to a couple with baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

The best source of advice could be your mother or family relatives who were in the same position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/family_benefits_and_entitlements.html should help.

Can you please stop using text speak as your posts are very hard to parse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Thanks we both ave cars so we r ok dat way..dats great!both family on both side are great to us too but i would feel comfortable lettn dem buy d stuuf our baby needs!we get d couples allowance from social welfare everyweek works out about 300 maybe..ave u any idea wat is given to a couple with baby?

Why would you be uncomfortable letting your family buy the essentials but you'll let other unrelated working people pay for your essentials?

I'm working, I don't get social welfare or anything, I'm currently saving for a car but it'll be a long time before I can afford it.

Your arrogance ... being able to afford two cars, but looking for pay-outs from working peoples' taxes to cover your hospital bag and buggy and all the rest? When those of us who work hard can't afford even cars for ourselves, let alone your nice little extras as a pregnancy bonus?

People like you disgust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Indigo Twist, you have no idea what the OP's personal circumstances are. People attacking a pregnant woman struggling to get by disgust me. You clearly lead a sad life.

OP, look at Citizen's Information and claim whatever you are entitled to. I don't agree with the benefits system in this country either but that isn't your fault and it would be financially foolish not to take what's available to you.

Make a list of essentials that you need, shop around and graciously accept anything that is given to you. Your baby is your priority, not fighting moral battles against the state

Why would you be uncomfortable letting your family buy the essentials but you'll let other unrelated working people pay for your essentials?

I'm working, I don't get social welfare or anything, I'm currently saving for a car but it'll be a long time before I can afford it.

Your arrogance ... being able to afford two cars, but looking for pay-outs from working peoples' taxes to cover your hospital bag and buggy and all the rest? When those of us who work hard can't afford even cars for ourselves, let alone your nice little extras as a pregnancy bonus?

Personal abuse will not be tolerated here.

I do find it a bit strange they have two cars. You are both not working sell one car hey presto you have cash for you essentials.

I do find it a bit strange they have two cars. You are both not working sell one car hey presto you have cash for you essentials.

Keeping two cars on the road will cause a lot of hardship if they both remain on social welfare with a combined income of 300 euro. All it takes is for your clutch to fail and get a bill to fix it of 400 euro to end up with a busted flush.

OP - I am not preaching by any means but I cant see how you can economically justify two cars unless you both use them to go to school or work.
    Childcare while you work or have a social life will be a huge burden too if you dont have the support of extended family to babysit. You should start planning ahead. It will be tough to give your kid a proper standard of living even if you claim everything thats going. You mention being confused. Getting to grips with daily practicalities about childcare is one step out of confusion. It wont be easy. The year of 'free' childcare from the government only covers half days as far as I know. And when your little one starts school , he or she will only be there for half days ... again as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Myself & my partner were let go from our jobs when I was 8 weeks pregnant (we worked for the same company for 12 years). We had 2 cars which we'd bought & paid for while still working & a mortgage. We used both cars while my partner looked for a new job & I had hospital appointments, errands etc. to do.
    As I'd been working for so long I was entitled to Job Seekers Benefit for a year & also money for a cot & buggy from our local Community Welfare Officer but little else. I'd worked all my life but was not entitled to Maternity Benefit as I hadn't worked up to 16 weeks before my due date but had worked long enough to be entitled to v.little.
    The only thing my son got brand new was a buggy, wardrobe & some clothes everything else I got from Adverts or other sites. There are some real bargains to be had if you look hard enough.
    Best of luck, it can be a scary time but one you can get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Keeping two cars on the road will cause a lot of hardship if they both remain on social welfare with a combined income of 300 euro. All it takes is for your clutch to fail and get a bill to fix it of 400 euro to end up with a busted flush.

OP - I am not preaching by any means but I cant see how you can economically justify two cars unless you both use them to go to school or work.
    Childcare while you work or have a social life will be a huge burden too if you dont have the support of extended family to babysit. You should start planning ahead. It will be tough to give your kid a proper standard of living even if you claim everything thats going. You mention being confused. Getting to grips with daily practicalities about childcare is one step out of confusion. It wont be easy. The year of 'free' childcare from the government only covers half days as far as I know. And when your little one starts school , he or she will only be there for half days ... again as far as I know.
    I don't want to get into blaming or excusing, but if a couple live out in the country, two cars is not just a luxury, and in any case, if the cars aren't new, selling one is to going to bring much in the way of savings compared to the hassle of bus fares etc, especially if one or other are seriously looking for work.

Just a thought.

I agree about planning ahead though, and would also suggest not to judge purely in the short term - even if a job isn't going to pay more than the extra cost for a time, it's a different question over the longer term, so that needs to be counted in too.

volchitsa wrote: »
    I don't want to get into blaming or excusing,

Me neither. Someone came asking for help. Two brains are better than one. I am not materialist anyway.
    but if a couple live out in the country, two cars is not just a luxury,.

The problem is not one of whether its a luxury or not. The problem I was trying to point out if that eventually the money runs out if both of you are on social welfare and don't make money out of the car by using it to hold down a job, what happens then when the money runs out? If you have no money in your pocket , its like a great wall of china lies between you and everything you want to do . OP needs a practical budget. OP needs costs to be predictable until at least one of them gets a job. Even after getting a job I still encourage prudence in an uncertain world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes. Like I said I agreed with your general point, and in fact made a similar one about the idea of refusing work (or not really trying to find any) because in the short term they may not be better off - having a job is a longer term advantage than just the pay you bring back every week or month, in my experience. I've said this elsewhere, about women I know who gave up work when they had children who are now worse off than they realized when the children were young.

But having a car, or even two depending on public transport where they live, may not be as much of a waste as it may seem, because they already have the cars, and if they need to replace one or both for a job in the near future, it may cost more to replace than to keep the ones they have.

• Advertisement

But having a car, or even two depending on public transport where they live, may not be as much of a waste as it may seem, because they already have the cars, and if they need to replace one or both for a job in the near future, it may cost more to replace than to keep the ones they have.

I would rather starve than give up my cheap banger but when you have dependents it gets trickier. They could try putting one car off road for a while and see how they get on. Since they apparently live together, it wont be that much of a hardship. And it will free up a lot of money for the occasional taxi. Its her choice anyway but she has that choice.

Excuse me keep your opinon to yourself..my partner is trying to sell his car which by no reason do i need to tell you..and as for parents my father passed away and my mother doesnt work.his parent are an elderly couple.people like you sicking me think your all high and mighty on your high horse before you know anything.bye.i dont need ur opinon on life.

Im clearly in the wrong place for help as all i was asking was sum general question anyone in my shoes would ask.i have been working since i left school paid all my bills and taxes so dont judge people on your own vision.as i ave said above my circumstance are very difficult at d moment which is my business..a huge thank you to anyone how give me good helpful advice.and to the people who abused me and basted me i hope you never follow in my foot step because youd find it heartbreaking and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

i have been working since i left school paid all my bills and taxes so dont judge people on your own vision

To be honest I'd judge someone more on their use of text speak, it might be an unpopular non-pc thing to say but it automatically makes posts (and then the poster) seem incoherent and lacking in...something. That might be colouring people's opinion as much as the actual subject of your first post.

*hides*

I think closing this thread is the only solution here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement