Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reccomend me a decent 7 string

• 21-11-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

So I'm thinking of getting a 7 string guitar, so any of you extended rangers got any recommendations?

I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, and that I can sell on if I find 7's aren't my thing.

I'd prefer passive pickups and a fixed bridge. My budget would be about €300 ish, secondhand.

Heard good things about Ibanez, Schecter etc but have only tried a few.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

MetalDog wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of getting a 7 string guitar, so any of you extended rangers got any recommendations?

I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, and that I can sell on if I find 7's aren't my thing.

I'd prefer passive pickups and a fixed bridge. My budget would be about €300 ish, secondhand.

Heard good things about Ibanez, Schecter etc but have only tried a few.

Thanks in advance.

the lower end schecters the sgr ones i wouldnt touch anything from the omen extreme and up is decent enough
    if you could find a esp viper 407 another nice guitar .
    you probably get a lower end ibanez too but nothing to special with in your budget even second hand .if ya cam up a couple of hundred quid you get something half decent new.
    id personally prefer have a few myself

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fracturedphase

For 300 you could grab an Ibanez 7321, people seem to love these not to sure why was never a fan of Ibanez neck profile and its overall build quality, that being said its not bad for your first 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

+1 on the Ibanez 7321 (or even the 7421 - more or less the same but a refreshed model I believe)
    Solid build quality for the price, ok-ish pickups. You can pick them up for a reasonable price second hand these days.
    The neck is a bit fat alright, but still very playable IMO. The higher-end Ibanez 7's have a slimmer neck profile for a few hundred more, but if you're just looking to see if 7's are your thing, then I don't think there's much point spending a huge amount extra for slightly better playability. That's just me though. :P

Might be worth looking at Schecter gear too. I'm not a schecter head myself but perhaps someone else can chime in on that front. Checking online, they sound decent enough.

EDIT: Just saw the reply re: the Omen series schecters. They look tasty.

Advertisement