Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EDM in Ireland

Options
  • 18-11-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Anyone else ever wonder where the EDM scene is in Ireland?
    I'm talking about young up and coming producers or even a record label, in comparison to other European countries we don't really have an EDM industry at all. Anyone else think this is the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 conor9369

alstrom wrote: »
    Anyone else ever wonder where the EDM scene is in Ireland?
    I'm talking about young up and coming producers or even a record label, in comparison to other European countries we don't really have an EDM industry at all. Anyone else think this is the case?

We have a great and thriving underground dance music industry, let's keep it that way. Who needs EDM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alstrom

conor9369 wrote: »
    We have a great and thriving underground dance music industry, let's keep it that way. Who needs EDM?

Can you give examples?
    I know we have a good few relatively unknown producers in the country but apart from that what else is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

John O'Callaghan hit the top 30 in the DJ Mag top 100 at one stage a few years ago and is doing pretty well for himself. Similarly Bryan Kearney and Paul Webster are relatively sizeable names in their respective niches. Sunil Sharpe is a very respected techno DJ across the continent. The Japanese Popstars had a period where they were a big deal. John Gibbons has a massive following at home and abroad, and I'm sure I'm leaving plenty out

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alstrom

COYVB wrote: »
    John O'Callaghan hit the top 30 in the DJ Mag top 100 at one stage a few years ago and is doing pretty well for himself. Similarly Bryan Kearney and Paul Webster are relatively sizeable names in their respective niches. Sunil Sharpe is a very respected techno DJ across the continent. The Japanese Popstars had a period where they were a big deal. John Gibbons has a massive following at home and abroad, and I'm sure I'm leaving plenty out

I know of John O' Callaghan, that was a very big deal to reach the top thirty! I'm familair with Sunil Sharpe, The Japanese Popstars and John Gibbons but i still don't see why these Producer/DJ's don't get more recognition. I mean if you asked a random person on the street they wouldn't have a clue what your talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's coz random people in the street don't typically give a toss about that kind of music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pobb

EDM is basically big corporations packaging a gimmicky artist so they can sell it to as many people as possible and make a shed load of money. It's completely at odds with the origins and roots of electronic music.

There has been a thriving dance music scene in Dublin (and other cities) since the early 90s with loads of promoters, DJs and producers putting on nights for their own enjoyment without needing to have international recognition or get their names in a magazine.

Amidst all the recession and the doom and gloom and the emigration and the water charges, the news that Ireland has a bad EDM scene has cheered me up a little. We don't have a huge number of kids making heart shaped finger gestures at hipster DJs playing dirge? Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Lakker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Pobb wrote: »
    EDM is basically big corporations packaging a gimmicky artist so they can sell it to as many people as possible and make a shed load of money. It's completely at odds with the origins and roots of electronic music.

There has been a thriving dance music scene in Dublin (and other cities) since the early 90s with loads of promoters, DJs and producers putting on nights for their own enjoyment without needing to have international recognition or get their names in a magazine.

agree 100%. When I hear the term 'EDM' I think of some fat cat agents in bed with Tiesto in Hakkasan.

Advertisement