Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rich Ricci Thread

• 11-11-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The guy just has unbelievable ammunition this year, so surely it will be worth following him. Here's the latest from him when he was at Lingfield (of all places!) today.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=4622024&category=0
    LEADING owner Rich Ricci took time out during a rare visit to Lingfield to point punters in the direction of two youngsters who could go right to the top in novice hurdles.

Explaining his presence at a run-of-the-mill meeting at which he had no runners, Ricci, who lives in Kent but races mainly in Ireland, joked: "I needed a fix as we haven't been able to run many in Ireland because of the weather."

Asked about young horses he was particularly excited about he said he had been "very active" buying in the summer and nominated two French recruits who already figure in the Cheltenham markets, both with Willie Mullins.

He said: "Allez Colombieres won three out of four bumpers and was the champion three-year-old bumper horse in France last year. He's one I'm really looking forward to and hopefully he'll be going to the highest level in novice hurdles.

"Kalkir is three and ran a great race in a newcomers race at Auteuil when only just behind Bonito Du Berlais, who has gone on to win four on the trot, including a Grade 1 by 12 lengths in the newcomers race at Auteuil. He's one we are really looking forward to, and is hopefully a Triumph Hurdle horse."

Ricci, who is hoping to see Daneking run in the Greatwood Hurdle at Cheltenham on Sunday, also had news of Annie Power, who won the Mares Champion Hurdle at Punchestown after finishing second in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham.

He said: "She's in grand form. We haven't made any decisions yet, but we've had lots of conversations and hopefully we'll make a decision soon. She's in great, great form and has summered very very well."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

the man has the midas touch, he pays plenty for them, but he has had a good return - plenty of lads paying big but buying duds

should be another fantastic season in store for him, I knew he bought a few very promising pointers as well, Mullins is sure to monopolise the novice hurdle ranks again this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

I wonder what his level stakes profit was last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Itsabrack wrote: »
    I wonder what his level stakes profit was last year?
    You'd be down a few points if you were backing SP. If you were taking early prices though, I'd say you'd be up slightly. So many of Ricci's runners get backed into 1/2 type prices at the off.

You'd be down a few points if you were backing SP. If you were taking early prices though, I'd say you'd be up slightly. So many of Ricci's runners get backed into 1/2 type prices at the off.

I was wondering when you said following them did you mean back them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

He was -44.76 for 2013 at sp and is -12.29 for the 2014 calendar year

In 2014 he is profitable with his hurdles runners though as it's +5.29

The other 3 disciplines for the 2014 calendar year would be:
    Chases -7.87
    Flat -5.00
    NHF -4.71

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Annie Power staying over hurdles. Shoe in for the mares hurdle in Chelt now

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=4623724&category=0

The Mig wrote: »

Thought Willie said he was going to "throw her over a fence", maybe he literally did!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

The Mig wrote: »

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=4623724&category=0

Expected better than this from Ricci. Why throw so much cash at the game if your going to let one of your biggest stars win farcical grade 1s instead of RSAs and Gold Cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

Least we have another banker for Day 1,

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Expected better than this from Ricci. Why throw so much cash at the game if your going to let one of your biggest stars win farcical grade 1s instead of RSAs and Gold Cups.

On a serious note, who are we to question the master trainer and her owner what they do with their horse? This is typical betting shop talk. Maybe they did "throw her over a fence" and it didn't work out? How would you have more info about this horse than owner/trainer than to cast assertions about them? It's pure dribble.
    Sorry in advance for the rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

You really have no clue do you? The horse would be killed if she went chasing & Ricci sees the horse as too valuable to even chance it.

Anything else you have an issue with or are you just sick because you lost your ante post €5 on Annie Power for the Gold Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

coopdog85 wrote: »
    You really have no clue do you? The horse would be killed if she went chasing & Ricci sees the horse as too valuable to even chance it.

Anything else you have an issue with or are you just sick because you lost your ante post €5 on Annie Power for the Gold Cup?

"The horse would be killed if she went chasing" ??? Please explain this one? I presume you at least meant could be killed.

Let's just hope my bank account recovers from this terrible pounding and I don't suffer another loss this big for the rest of the season eh?

I've no problem with her avoiding fences if she can't jump them. If, however, she ends up in the Mares hurdle come March then I'll be pretty disappointed. No one wants to see top horses running in the filler events. It'd be like sending Big Bucks to the Pertemps.

Volvic12 wrote: »
    "The horse would be killed if she went chasing" ??? Please explain this one? I presume you at least meant could be killed.

Watch her jumping her hurdles, she doesn't slow down one bit. If she jumped a fence Annie Power would end up on the deck in every race. The horse is a ball of speed & is a bit of a headcase (I've seen the horse schooling) & obviously Ricci & Mullins aren't prepared to take a chance with her. Wonderful animal & I'd love to see how far she could go but it would be crazy to send her over fences.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

If she jumped a fence Annie Power would end up on the deck in every race. The horse is a ball of speed & is a bit of a headcase (I've seen the horse schooling) & obviously Ricci & Mullins aren't prepared to take a chance with her.

So you've seen her schooling over fences? If yes, was she that really that bad? Please clarify.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Let's stick to the topic on hand rather than dragging up user's bets, which is unrelated and uncalled for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

Watch her jumping her hurdles, she doesn't slow down one bit. If she jumped a fence Annie Power would end up on the deck in every race. The horse is a ball of speed & is a bit of a headcase (I've seen the horse schooling) & obviously Ricci & Mullins aren't prepared to take a chance with her. Wonderful animal & I'd love to see how far she could go but it would be crazy to send her over fences.

haha shed end up on the deck because shes a ball of speed, right! the horse was bought as a chaser and theres nothing to suggest she wouldnt make up into a nice chaser, and too valuable to go chasing?, rich ricci is a racing man not a breeding man, they are taking the easy way out going for an easy grade 1 in march, the mares hurdle which is a load of ****e.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    So you've seen her schooling over fences? If yes, was she that really that bad? Please clarify.

Nope, never said I saw her schooling over fences. Saw her schooling over hurdles, the pure speed of the horse up close is frightening. Over fences it would kamikaze stuff.

haha shed end up on the deck because shes a ball of speed, right! the horse was bought as a chaser and theres nothing to suggest she wouldnt make up into a nice chaser, and too valuable to go chasing?, rich ricci is a racing man not a breeding man, they are taking the easy way out going for an easy grade 1 in march, the mares hurdle which is a load of ****e.

What point are you trying to make?

Nope, never said I saw her schooling over fences. Saw her schooling over hurdles, the pure speed of the horse up close is frightening. Over fences it would kamikaze stuff.

And this speed was so frightening they decided the World Hurdle would be the best option for her last year?

• Advertisement

And this speed was so frightening they decided the World Hurdle would be the best option for her last year?

I'm not a trainer, I'm not an owner. I don't choose what races Annie Power runs in. Have you seen the horse jumping a hurdle up close? If you have then you'll know what I mean when I say the horse has frightening speed. If you haven't seen her schooling then I suggest you don't challenge me on what I said because if you haven't seen it then you shouldn't have an opinion.

I'm not a trainer, I'm not an owner. I don't choose what races Annie Power runs in. Have you seen the horse jumping a hurdle up close? If you have then you'll know what I mean when I say the horse has frightening speed. If you haven't seen her schooling then I suggest you don't challenge me on what I said because if you haven't seen it then you shouldn't have an opinion.

I couldn't care less if you personally feed her sugar cubes and brush her mane after every time she schools. The point your making is irrelevant to my argument. Answer me this, would you be as happy to see her run the Mares hurdle as the Champion Hurdle/World Hurdle/Arkle/RSA?

I couldn't care less if you personally feed her sugar cubes and brush her mane after every time she schools. The point your making is irrelevant to my argument. Answer me this, would you be as happy to see her run the Mares hurdle as the Champion Hurdle/World Hurdle/Arkle/RSA?

Champion hurdle.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

3/3 for Ricci today. None of them looked in any trouble at all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Ricci has an almost flawless purchasing system in place, its scary the ammunition he has at his disposal, to have such potential in the same colours is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Has there ever been a owner with such strength and depth in terms of pure quality. Obviously JP has the numbers, but when you look at Ricci's team in terms of big championship races, it's ridiculous.

Supreme: Allez Colombieres (fav)
    Arkle: Vautour (jfav)
    Champion: Faugheen (fav)
    Mares: Annie (fav)
    Neptune: Douvan (j 3rd fav)
    RSA: Pont Alexandre (3rd fav) & Clondaw Court (if right)
    Queen Mother: Champagne Fever (3rd fav)
    Bumper: Bordini (j 3rd fav)
    JLT: Vautour (fav)
    Ryanair: CF (3rd fav) & Ballycasey
    Triumph: Kalkir (fav)
    Gold Cup: Champagne Fever (3rd fav) & Djackadam.

Then there's others such as Zaidpour, Blood Cotil, Sempre Medici, Vroum Vroum Mag, Moyle Park, Thomas Hobson, Rennetti, Indevan.

Absolutely astonishing selection. If it's Harold Kirk doing the majority of the buying, he must be on a nice retainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

I would say the reason Annie Power stays hurdling is because the race at Cheltenham has just got Grade 1 status and the one at Punchestown was run as a Grade 1 for the first time in 2013. So 2 handy options for her there. Mullins has also said he didn't think she'd have a problem jumping a fence. I would not regard her as the slickest hurdler either.

Having said that maybe the fact that she's highly strung influenced their decision too. Maybe there's a fear there that she could be erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Spot on Jimjamcos. Harold Kirk, Rich Ricci & Willie Mullins.

You got some exceptionally bright people pooling their resources right there. Long may it continue.

• BumperD wrote: »
    Spot on Jimjamcos. Harold Kirk, Rich Ricci & Willie Mullins.

You got some exceptionally bright people pooling their resources right there. Long may it continue.

Rich Ricci is one of a small group of individuals who effectively bankrupted the western world for their own personal gain.

Someone else would own the horses if he didn't, so I can't see why his involvement is good for racing. In fact it is the opposite - hard to imagine Annie Power going down the mares hurdle route if she was with any other owner / trainer combination.

I see Willie Mullins is now complaining that he hasn't got enough novice chases for his stable. He appears to want us to change the calendar in order to suit this ridiculous concentration of talent in one stable....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Rich Ricci is one of a small group of individuals who effectively bankrupted the western world for their own personal gain.

Someone else would own the horses if he didn't, so I can't see why his involvement is good for racing. In fact it is the opposite - hard to imagine Annie Power going down the mares hurdle route if she was with any other owner / trainer combination.

I see Willie Mullins is now complaining that he hasn't got enough novice chases for his stable. He appears to want us to change the calendar in order to suit this ridiculous concentration of talent in one stable....

First part a little off topic so not for here.

2nd part is utter nonsense. There are only a very small group of patrons who pump this amount of money into the nh game (Jp, oleary etc). If there is someone else, they'd already exist and you'd be able name them. As regards AP's campaign, I'd take there judgement anyday over mine given their knowledge.

Have you a link for the novice chasers angle, haven't read that but would like to read. I guess from a stable tour?

Advertisement