Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA 2014 Season Discussion

• 07-04-2014 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Probably time to start this as most of the spring games are done now, and the first real big story is breaking regarding the best receiver in the country - Dorial Green-Beckham - being suspended indefinitely by Missouri.

Suspended twice before for drugs, and was caught with marijuana again in January so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is drug related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Colorado and Washington based teams are going to turn into powerhouses in college sports in the coming years aren't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Probably time to start this as most of the spring games are done now, and the first real big story is breaking regarding the best receiver in the country - Dorial Green-Beckham - being suspended indefinitely by Missouri.

Suspended twice before for drugs, and was caught with marijuana again in January so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is drug related.

Ah FFS.

Thought he was going to be challenging for the #1 pick.
    Remember his high school tape and it was so funny, a fully grown man running over kids. I wasn't even aware of his previous drug incidents. Such a shame. Looked like an unstoppable red zone threat last year. Hopefully he does a Josh Gordon on it and turns it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Probably time to start this as most of the spring games are done now.

Didn't know this. Oregons spring game isn't for another month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ah FFS.

Thought he was going to be challenging for the #1 pick.
    Remember his high school tape and it was so funny, a fully grown man running over kids. I wasn't even aware of his previous drug incidents. Such a shame. Looked like an unstoppable red zonue threat last year. Hopefully he does a Josh Gordon on it and turns it around.

Could still be an absolute steal for someone. A bit of marijuana doesn't necessarily mean anything other than theguy needs a kick up the arse, which this could be. It worked for Mathieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

davyjose wrote: »
    Didn't know this. Oregons spring game isn't for another month.

The Notre Dame Blue-Gold Game is on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

davyjose wrote: »
    Could still be an absolute steal for someone. A bit of marijuana doesn't necessarily mean anything other than theguy needs a kick up the arse, which this could be. It worked for Mathieu.

Ye and J Gordon as i said above. It's just a red flag from the start and very hard to shake.

I feel for the Mizzou fans. He's a local boy and robbed them from seeing him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

polaris68 wrote: »

Unfortunately doesn't seem to be on any irish sports TV channels, can't see it listed on espn / setanta or anywhere else myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

polaris68 wrote: »
    Unfortunately doesn't seem to be on any irish sports TV channels, can't see it listed on espn / setanta or anywhere else myself.

Who will be starting QB for them? Malik Zaire has been making noise about being starter but I assume Everett Golson will come straight back in?

Really looking forward to seeing Christian Hackenberg in Croker. The guy is going to be a franchise QB in the NFL in a couple of years.

What will the SEC look like with no McCarron, Murray, Mettenberger & Manziel?

Can famous Jameis repeat his success from last year or is he too consumed with baseball?

Every year that goes by my interest in college football increases, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Green-Beckham has been dismissed by Mizzou:

https://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630511
    Two years ago, nobody expected Dorial Green-Beckham's career at Missouri to last four years. On Friday afternoon, it came to an end after just two. Green-Beckham, Rivals No. 1 recruit in the nation for 2012, was dismissed from the football program in what was termed a joint decision between Gary Pinkel and Director of Athletics Mike Alden.

"This decision was made with the best interests of all involved in mind," said Pinkel in a statement. "Dorial's priority going forward needs to be focusing on getting the help he needs. As we have all along, we will continue to do everything we can to assist Dorial and his family. We care deeply about Dorial and his well-being, but hopefully he can benefit from a fresh start."

"We have a high standard of conduct for our student-athletes," said Alden in the same statement. "Though we provide the resources and mentoring to all of our student-athletes, we are also responsible to the community at large and to the ideals and values of the University of Missouri. We have determined that this was a necessary step for our football team, athletic department, the University and our community."

John Beckham, Dorial's adoptive father and high school coach told PowerMizzou.com: "Dorial is devastated and we are very disappointed in the outcome."

Green-Beckham was indefinitely suspended by Pinkel on Monday as rumors of an alleged assault over the weekend began to swirl (you can read the full story here). Early Friday afternoon, Green-Beckham put out a statement through the St. Louis Post-Dispatch via John Beckham:

"First and most importantly, I take responsibly for my conduct and my mistakes. Don't blame my girlfriend or her friends for anything. I am not looking for sympathy. I thank those who have given me concern. I have been young and dumb. I want to be better. During my suspension I'm entering counseling. With help, I know I can be stronger emotionally and spiritually. My relationship with God, my family, friends, teammates and coaches are most important in my life, not football. It may not be possible to fix everything, but it won't be for not trying."

What now cannot be fixed is Green-Beckham's career at Missouri. That is over just more than two years after he signed as the No. 1 high school recruit in America. He caught 87 passes for 1,278 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Alden is meeting with the media at 4:30 this afternoon. The Tigers return to the practice field on Saturday morning for a scrimmage and that will be the next opportunity for the media to speak to Pinkel.

Wow!

So what's next for Green-Beckham? FCS?

Paully D wrote: »
    Green-Beckham has been dismissed by Mizzou:

Wow!

So what's next for Green-Beckham? FCS?

Unbelieveable. Does he have to sit out a year now or can he drop down to JUCO?

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Unbelieveable. Does he have to sit out a year now or can he drop down to JUCO?

He can drop down straight away it seems:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/11/dorial-green-beckham-dismissed-by-mizzou/
    As for the immediate future, Green-Beckham has three options: drop down to the FCS level or lower (JUCO ranks included) and play immediately; transfer to an FBS program and sit out the 2014 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules; or sit out the 2014 season entirely. As he’s not three years removed from high school, the NFL’s supplemental draft this summer would not be an option.

After the 2014 season, Green-Beckham could then play at the FBS level (unlikely) or make himself available as an early entrant to the 2015 NFL draft (highly likely). In other words, we’ve likely seen the last of Green-Beckham on the big stage of major college football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Nebraska's spring game had everything today.

From cheerleaders calling plays...

BlDEPBtCYAArbj0.jpg

...to Bo Pelini entering the field with his cat.

9hU8jak.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Who will be starting QB for them? Malik Zaire has been making noise about being starter but I assume Everett Golson will come straight back in?

Really looking forward to seeing Christian Hackenberg in Croker. The guy is going to be a franchise QB in the NFL in a couple of years.

What will the SEC look like with no McCarron, Murray, Mettenberger & Manziel?

Can famous Jameis repeat his success from last year or is he too consumed with baseball?

Every year that goes by my interest in college football increases, can't wait

Hopefully a whole lot of Marshall.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I've been a long time watcher of the NFL, only started watching college football last season, absolutely loved it and have been following it ever since. It's good seeing all the draft stories and knowing you've followed those guys from the college ranks! Perhaps someone can explain to me, I wasn't even aware that college teams played games after the bowl games were all done. Is this to see who of the current freshmen, sophomores and juniors will start next year? Do college teams have pre-season games to break in new freshmen in the fall?

This is useful - how the playoffs work this year.

BlNCLz2CEAAvJ28.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

tgdaly wrote: »
    I've been a long time watcher of the NFL, only started watching college football last season, absolutely loved it and have been following it ever since. It's good seeing all the draft stories and knowing you've followed those guys from the college ranks! Perhaps someone can explain to me, I wasn't even aware that college teams played games after the bowl games were all done. Is this to see who of the current freshmen, sophomores and juniors will start next year? Do college teams have pre-season games to break in new freshmen in the fall?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibition_game

Click American Football and scroll down to College and High School Football

A Star Player Accused, and a Flawed Rape Investigation

Cracking article from the NY Times, sample below:
    Tallahassee, Fla. — Early on the morning of Dec. 7, 2012, a freshman at Florida State University reported that she had been raped by a stranger somewhere off campus after a night of drinking at a popular Tallahassee bar called Potbelly’s.

As she gave her account to the police, several bruises began to appear, indicating recent trauma. Tests would later find semen on her underwear.

For nearly a year, the events of that evening remained a well-kept secret until the woman’s allegations burst into the open, roiling the university and threatening a prized asset: Jameis Winston, one of the marquee names of college football.

Three weeks after Mr. Winston was publicly identified as the suspect, the storm had passed. The local prosecutor announced that he lacked the evidence to charge Mr. Winston with rape. The quarterback would go on to win the Heisman Trophy and lead Florida State to the national championship.

In his announcement, the prosecutor, William N. Meggs, acknowledged a number of shortcomings in the police investigation. In fact, an examination by The New York Times has found that there was virtually no investigation at all, either by the police or the university.

The police did not follow the obvious leads that would have quickly identified the suspect as well as witnesses, one of whom videotaped part of the sexual encounter. After the accuser identified Mr. Winston as her assailant, the police did not even attempt to interview him for nearly two weeks and never obtained his DNA.

The detective handling the case waited two months to write his first report and then prematurely suspended his inquiry without informing the accuser. By the time the prosecutor got the case, important evidence had disappeared, including the video of the sexual act.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'll be living in Austin for a year come the end of September. Can't wait to go to a few college games, and perhaps get a few NFL ones in too, while over there.

Anyone know how hard it would be to get National Championship tickets? Would love to be able to go to that.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'll be living in Austin for a year come the end of September. Can't wait to go to a few college games, and perhaps get a few NFL ones in too, while over there.

Anyone know how hard it would be to get National Championship tickets? Would love to be able to go to that.

Tickets are easy to get on the resale market, but you'll be paying a lot.

Average price in December is generally around $1,800 - $2,200.

In the fortnight leading up to the game, that price will drop as people give up on getting tickets (too late to make travel plans, book time off work, sort accomodation etc.) so demand drops.

For Alabama/Notre Dame a couple of years ago, you could get a standing ticket on the day for about $500. But obviously you won't get that lucky all the time.

And it depends on what teams are involved. Any of the bigger, wealthier fan bases will drive prices up. Any teams that are anywhere near Texas, forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jaysus, I thought they'd be expensive, but 2,200 is nuts! Cheers for the info, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Alabama @ Texas A&M last year had the highest average ticket price of $820.27. They say the prices are slowly dropping though. Last year being the cheapest year for a long time to go see a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

NCAA are softening they are allowing ther players sufficient food now

glued wrote: »
    Alabama @ Texas A&M last year had the highest average ticket price of $820.27. They say the prices are slowly dropping though. Last year being the cheapest year for a long time to go see a game.

That was regular season though. I thought Knex was asking about tickets to the National Championship...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

That was regular season though. I thought Knex was asking about tickets to the National Championship...

Yes but the Alabama @ Aggies was more expensive per ticket last year. It was merely an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2031740-ncaa-rules-that-marijuana-is-not-a-performance-enhancing-substance

NCAA rules that marijuna is not performance enhancing, reduces a positive test ban from a full season to half a season.

Luckily they allowed free snacks for players before this ruling, otherwise there would be anarchy

Jameis Winston arrested for stealing crab legs $32.70 worth from a supermarket. Yep, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Paully D wrote: »
    Jameis Winston arrested for stealing crab legs $32.70 worth from a supermarket. Yep, really.

Not the brightest is he? Could be another star QB whose idiocy proves his undoing.

Edit: may not have been as bad as first thought -

"As reported in the news, last night I received an adult civil citation for petit theft from a local supermarket. I went to the supermarket with the intent to purchase dinner but made a terrible mistake for which I’m taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items."

Green-Beckham has transferred to Eastern Illinois apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

Read the article from the NY Times, posted by Paully D.

Sickening how the case was dealt with. Shows up the nasty side of the obsession with football in these schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭franglan

Read earlier that Winston bought nothing in the store, difficult to forget that the only thing you walked out of the store with wasn't paid for.

Advertisement