Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and Neverwhere

• 07-08-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

First I'd like to apologise if there's a thread for book recommendations that I missed.

I've recently read a few books by Neil Gaiman (American Gods, Good Omens, Stardust and Neverwhere). Liked all of them but Neverwhere stands out for me and comes second only to Susan Clarke's J.S. and Mr. N. among the fantasy novels that I've read.

I'm wondering if anyone here has read these, also liked them, and could recommend other similar books they've liked as much?

I suspect many will recommend Terry Pratchett. He co-wrote Good Omens and I noticed a lot more humour which I'd be inclined to attribute to him. It was enjoyable and often funny but, honestly, it became kind of grating at times so I'm not really sure I'd be a fan of his (but honestly don't know much about him).

Also loved Sherlock Holmes when I was younger and love books written in the Georgian and Victorian times, with a little bit of magic thrown in :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Try "The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters" by G W Dahlquist. Gothic fantasy thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Frito wrote: »
    Try "The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters" by G W Dahlquist. Gothic fantasy thriller.
    Cool. Looks interesting and seems to be available for my e-book reader. I presume you did actually enjoy it!?

Yes! ( apols for late reply)

I would also suggest Lucifer Box series by Mark Gatiss. I've only read The Vesuvius Club which is first in series, found it enjoyable. He co-created BBC's recent Sherlock adaptations to give you some background (other than black comedy).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Are you just looking for Fantasy suggestions?

Like yourself I absolutely loved JS and Mr Norrell and Neverwhere is a particular favourite of mine from Gaiman.

Those books appealed to me because they weren't just fantasy, they were just so different to anything else.

With that in mind I'd recommend The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

You could try Anne Lyle's The Alchemist of Souls (first in a trilogy). It's set in Elizabethan England and is historical fantasy/sci-fi. I'm reading it at the moment and it's very good! She has been nominated for best newcomer in the British Fantasy Society Awards 2013 and has received some good reviews.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Not strictly fantasy, though I do like a bit of magic.

The Wasp Factory looks interesting. I'm a bit worried, having read the wikipedia synopsis, that it could be a very grim read? At under 200 pages I'll certainly give it a try.

The Alchemist of Souls does look up my street so it goes on the list too.

humbert wrote: »
    The Wasp Factory looks interesting. I'm a bit worried, having read the wikipedia synopsis, that it could be a very grim read?
    It's very grim but utterly fascinating (at least, it was for me)
    The Alchemist of Souls does look up my street so it goes on the list too.
    It is good but just one small caveat: I'm not claiming it's as good as Neverwhere or JS and Mr Norrell! Those two books and The Lord of the Rings stand out amongst my very favourite books (along with Stephen King's The Stand (unabridged edition). :)

Cool, well, I've been warned on both counts! Sort of curious about The Stand now too but one book at a time.

Thanks again.

Frito wrote: »
    I would also suggest Lucifer Box series by Mark Gatiss. I've only read The Vesuvius Club which is first in series, found it enjoyable. He co-created BBC's recent Sherlock adaptations to give you some background (other than black comedy).

Sorry, missed your post. The plot sounds cool but I have to admit I'm a little reluctant to pick up a graphic novel (for no particularly rational reason). Loved the Sherlock series, didn't notice Moffat had help writing it. Definitely keep it in mind.

(Today I learned that a Lucifer is an old name for a match. Brand names aren't what they used to be.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I'm a little reluctant to pick up a graphic novel (for no particularly rational reason).

Just give it a go, can't hurt, and if you do happen to enjoy the experience go and buy all of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's "Preacher" series.

• Advertisement

I have to admit I'm a little reluctant to pick up a graphic novel

Gatiss wrote the series as regular novels. Afaik only Vesuvius Club adapted as a graphic novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Sounds like a touch of urban fantasy, for which I would recommend taking a peek at The Dresden Files. Truth be told, the first couple aren't great, but they pick up around the third book when he introduces a solid stable of interesting characters and suitably villainous baddies. Nobody really writes pulpy stuff these days, which makes them quite refreshing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For a mix of Gothic, Early Victorian, and English Poets - try "The stress of her regard" by Tim Powers.

Saw this in the Guardian today and thought it would be of interest to those reDn this thread.

Guardian article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Check out the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, very easy reading and set against a victorian, magic belongs to the gentry type background.
    The first book is The amulet of Samarkand, quite funny, told from the perspective of a powerful demon accidentally enslaved by a young magician, the demon spends a lot of time trying to escape and do in the magician in the long suffering manner of sir Humphrey Appleby from yes minister, in fact that is the voice and tone that I imagine the demon having.

Also worth a look is some of Charles Stross' s Laundry Files series, it begins with The Atrocity Archive and follows a civil servent working for a secret department tasked with hushing up and holding back various lovecraftian horrors while dying the death of 1000 papercuts from the civil service beauracracy. Very funny and well done.

Ben Aaronovich wrote a fantastic series revolving around the old gods and associates living in and under london, it is very much in the style of neverwhere and a very decent read. The first book is called "the rivers of London"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

fenris wrote: »
    Wonderful Stuff

You may have just made my holiday :) Thanks for the recomendations

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

long time since there was a post in here but how would Neverwhere the Novel (which I hear was adapted from a Graphic Novel Gaiman wrote) stack up against his books.

I'm a big fan of American Gods, Anansi Boys and Ocean at the end of the lane

janiejones wrote: »
    long time since there was a post in here but how would Neverwhere the Novel (which I hear was adapted from a Graphic Novel Gaiman wrote) stack up against his books.

I'm a big fan of American Gods, Anansi Boys and Ocean at the end of the lane

I mentioned Neverwhere earlier in the thread. Its very good IMO. Quite different to American Gods but a great novel just the same.

Advertisement