Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

• 14-03-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well folks, couldn't see a Kilkenny thread here, so figured I'd start one.

Pretty much a must-win game this weekend against a Waterford team with great momentum. I know we've been hit with injuries for the past few weeks, and those concerns are still there, but our form has been worrying for two reasons: 1. it shows how reliant we are on a few figures who are getting older and who we can't afford to lose form

2. we are staring a relegation final in the face, and could be in serious trouble if we can't get a win Monday.

On the plus side I've liked some of the "new" players, particularly Lester Ryan in at mid field, and Conor Fogarty's performances. I also like how Kieran Joyce has gotten on at centre back (hope Brian Hogan's performance Sunday was a blip), and was delighted to see Paddy Hogan do so well the last day as well.

So how do you think we'll do against the Deise? I think we will win, but I've thought that in the last two matches as well so, probably I'm not the best person to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I wouldn't be to worried just yet.

On your worry about our over reliance on a few of the older heads, whilst undoubtedly they are major players for us, we were missing a huge amount of lads for both matches against the all ireland team and the team that would be selected if all the lads were fit.

On the two games, whilst disappointing to lose both, they were both relatively close and if you were to pick probably the two toughest away games we coudl have, these would be the two. Conditions in Thurles were awful.

A win against Waterford is imperative or we deinitely will be in the relegation battle as given the points on the board already for other teams, 4 won't be enough.

On Brian Hogan, I don't think he was fully fit so I'd write it off.

It was always inevitable that we would come back to the pack and it is looking more likely this year. Still we can;t complain and it makes for a potentially great summer.

I still wouldn't be surprised o see us go on and win the league outright.
    Agree with you on Lester, Conor and Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, I think we'll be OK come championship, just that with the league format being the way it is, you can find yourself in danger fast, and in a relegation final anything might happen.

On another note, I just noticed there now that thestripeymen.com seems to have stopped working. I was only on it this morning, shame it didn't last in one way, but it had been overrun with a shower of moaning clowns parroting on about Kilkenny being the victims of all manner of conspiracy theories and concerted attempts injure our players. It was getting farcical. A few good posters but the whole tone of it was ruined.

EDIT: Might just be system maintenance...maybe...either way I hope they start to mod the place properly.

stripeymen is working.

I don;t know if they are wums are real but some of the lads on their should be wearing tinfoil hats with the levels of conspiacy they believe against KK.

On the league, it would be nice to do well ut relegation wouldn;t be terrible. A change of venues for us next year! Haven't been to Antrim for a match in years. Some great times going up on the bus from Delaney's pub during the 1990s for the weekend. Mass said by Father Faul with us all dying from the session the night before and being treted like royalty by thehurling clubs in West Belfast. Those were the days,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks Realt Dearg Sec for starting the thread!

I'm not too worried about our position in the league table after 2 games. Away to Galway and Tipp were always going to be tough matches. And we could have actually won both games in the end, despite not playing too great. I was at the match in Pearse Stadium, and it was obvious that the Galway team had played a lot more hurling this year compared to the KK team (Galway seniors had played in the Walsh cup and the inter-provisionals). The likes of Jackie, Paul Murphy, and Tommy were blowing off the cobwebs against Galway. Plus Eoin Larkin was in no way match fit.

Positives so far this year imo are that Lester Ryan, Conor Fogarty, Kieran Joyce, and JJ are playing very well.
    Negatives are that some of our forward play has been very poor. Our forwards don't look threatening or dangerous, with respect to scoring a goal. None of the less experienced forwards have made any impact yet. Also, we are leaking a lot of goals (5 so far).

I think we are due a good performance, and I think that will happen against Waterford on Monday in Nowlan Park.

The KK team will be announced as per usual after 9pm on Friday.

Pudders wrote: »
    stripeymen is working.

I don;t know if they are wums are real but some of the lads on their should be wearing tinfoil hats with the levels of conspiacy they believe against KK.

On the league, it would be nice to do well ut relegation wouldn;t be terrible. A change of venues for us next year! Haven't been to Antrim for a match in years. Some great times going up on the bus from Delaney's pub during the 1990s for the weekend. Mass said by Father Faul with us all dying from the session the night before and being treted like royalty by thehurling clubs in West Belfast. Those were the days,

I'm thinking you're more a glass is half full kind of a fella so :).

• Advertisement

Thanks Realt Dearg Sec for starting the thread!

I'm not too worried about our position in the league table after 2 games. Away to Galway and Tipp were always going to be tough matches. And we could have actually won both games in the end, despite not playing too great. I was at the match in Pearse Stadium, and it was obvious that the Galway team had played a lot more hurling this year compared to the KK team (Galway seniors had played in the Walsh cup and the inter-provisionals). The likes of Jackie, Paul Murphy, and Tommy were blowing off the cobwebs against Galway. Plus Eoin Larkin was in no way match fit.

Positives so far this year imo are that Lester Ryan, Conor Fogarty, Kieran Joyce, and JJ are playing very well.
    Negatives are that some of our forward play has been very poor. Our forwards don't look threatening or dangerous, with respect to scoring a goal. None of the less experienced forwards have made any impact yet. Also, we are leaking a lot of goals (5 so far).

I think we are due a good performance, and I think that will happen against Waterford on Monday in Nowlan Park.

The KK team will be announced as per usual after 9pm on Friday.

To be fair to the forwards, I felt that for all the workrate from the backs, the ball coming in was often very poor, particularly against Tipp. Again and again lads were striking without looking up, and it was being gobbled up by the Tipp half backs as a result (also it took KK ages to adjust to the Tipp puckout strategy around midfield). But in terms of a goal threat, we do seem a little lacking at this early stage in the year. Two things though: Richie Hogan has been good in this regard, and Colin Fennelly was in full forward the last day where he didn't look right. I think he'll pose a real threat from the corner. Add to that Taggy Fogarty's excellent form, and we have, at least potentially, a serious threat again later in the year.

But given the way the league is now structured, you kind of have to consider it in terms of what we can do right now, rather than seeing it as a warm up tournament. KK must realise that as well, and I agree with you: Kilkenny should beramping it up Monday and should get a win. If it doesn't materialise, then I'll be worried (not about championship, I think we'll be as competitve as ever by then).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

1EMurphy 2PMurphy 3JJDelaney 4JTyrrell 5TWalsh 6BHogan 7KJoyce 8LRyan 9PHogan 10RHogan 11RPower 12ELarkin 13GAylward 14CFennelly 15AFogarty"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

adrian522 wrote: »
    1EMurphy 2PMurphy 3JJDelaney 4JTyrrell 5TWalsh 6BHogan 7KJoyce 8LRyan 9PHogan 10RHogan 11RPower 12ELarkin 13GAylward 14CFennelly 15AFogarty"

Strong team for this time of the year. I suspect that we'll win this one.

Preferably I'd like to see a 7 point + win, but I'll take the two points up for grabs in whatever form.

Should be tough going though, Waterford are in good form.

Hopefully the weather holds up.

I'm thinking you're more a glass is half full kind of a fella so :).

Given the last 10 years how could you not be a glass half full person being from Kilkenny!

Good team and should be strong enough to beat Waterford. Last night's Clare cork match was a good result with all teams continuing to be fairly bunched on a few points.

2 points on the board. We were not great today. Some poor wides. And if it wasn't for their keeper, we'd have be in all sorts of trouble as the 2nd goal came at a time when we were struggling for scores but it gave us the impetus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭me89

Another 3 injuries today, both Jackie and Murphy went off with what looked like hamstring injuries.
    Anyone know what happened Richie Power?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Pudders wrote: »
    2 points on the board. We were not great today. Some poor wides. And if it wasn't for their keeper, we'd have be in all sorts of trouble as the 2nd goal came at a time when we were struggling for scores but it gave us the impetus.

They had two other very good goal chances anyway,Aylward should of done better with his chance in the second half and Fennelly should of passed it to Aylward or at least of worked the keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Very impressed with Eoin Murphy in goal, I thought he was great and think he should be left there permanently. Lester Ryan hurled very well too and is staking his place for inclusion come championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

me89 wrote: »
    Another 3 injuries today, both Jackie and Murphy went off with what looked like hamstring injuries.
    Anyone know what happened Richie Power?

Richie has the flu, Willie Phelen Padraig walsh, done well when they came
    on, we have a great squad, with about 10 players to come back,

we are hurling well unlucky not to beat galway,and tipp, with a full hand
    to play with we would have won them games handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

phkk wrote: »
    Very impressed with Eoin Murphy in goal, I thought he was great and think he should be left there permanently. Lester Ryan hurled very well too and is staking his place for inclusion come championship time.

Do you think Ryan would get ahead of Fennelly/Rice? Or maybe Rice would be moved to wing forward to accomodate him?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Do you think Ryan would get ahead of Fennelly/Rice? Or maybe Rice would be moved to wing forward to accomodate him?
    New players who do well in the league dont always get much of a look in come June. Richie Doyle and Matthew Ruth played a lot last year but didn't figure much in the Championship. Kieran Joyce didnt play as much in the league but played most of the championship. Then there was Walter Walsh...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

paul murphy out for 6 week's Jackies not to bad maybe 2
    leaves kilkenny with a mountain of players out for next sunday.

Wally was tog for action yesterday which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Good on ya for starting this Realt. Nearly as bad as the rugby team with injuries. I wouldn't be too concerned though early days. When you hear Loughnane writing em off then I'd never worry.

Thought there were a few positives from yesterday. Larkin looks a bit slimmer or is it my eyes?? Alyward has a good turn on him, dodged his man a few times and is a tough bit of stuff. Obviously inexperienced still. Have to say Waterford destroyed the midfield, half backs esp first half and should have made more of all the ball they won. Still think it has to be Fennelly and Rice for the Championship. Murphy is some kid at Cb he's going to be a great player hopefully that injury doesn't ruin his season. Tipp looked very sharp yesterday but were at full tilt. Long way to go to Sept...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Is Michael Rice going to come back?
    I've been hearing that he may not be able to hurl again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

Does anybody else find it odd that there has been no protest (that I'm aware of) from the Kilkenny camp regarding the second yellow dished out to Tommy Walsh by Ref Wadding in the KK v Tipp game? Strange, and unfair to Walsh, that Croke Park didn't correct the error. Interesting article from Tony Keady in the Irish Independent below regarding the mistake -

VINCENT HOGAN – 20 MARCH 2013

Galway hurling legend Tony Keady has called for a rethink on the rule decreeing that two yellow cards must automatically lead to a player's dismissal.

Keady, the Hurler of the Year in 1988, believes the penalty to be too punitive for what often amounts to two technical infringements and he was particularly incensed by the recent sending-off of Kilkenny's Tommy Walsh during a league clash with Tipperary in Thurles.

Keady's comments run contrary to a mounting chorus of unease over what has been seen as an increasingly laissez-faire approach to inter-county refereeing, particularly in the latter stages of recent championships.

A selector with his county's U-21s this year, Keady was among some members of the senior All-Ireland-winning teams of '87 and '88 that led Sunday's St Patrick's Day parade in Galway city. Afterwards, the players convened for a meal and Keady insists that a number of referees present supported his opinion on the yellow cards.

"I've been talking about this for months because I'm just absolutely fuming over it," he said. "My argument is that the moment a fella gets a yellow card now, he may as well be taken off.

"I think it'd be much fairer that a fella could get two yellows, then management could make the decision, 'Hold on here, if he sneezes we're down to 14 men.'

"Just give them the time to make that call. I've yet to meet anyone, referees included, who disagrees with what I'm saying."

Walsh was sent off against Tipp for a second yellow, a punishment Keady (above) firmly believes his infringement did not warrant.

"Everyone I spoke to in Galway was tempted to knock off the television after seeing what he was sent off for," reflected Keady. "Tommy Walsh to me is one of the finest wing-backs of all time and to see that man going off the last day for nothing... I don't know, it's ruining the game for me.

"What did he get sent off for? A little kind of a flick? The referee probably thought it was dangerous with the one hand. But he just went to flick the ball. To me, Tommy Walsh goes out to play hurling the way it should be played.

"And you know that Brian Cody wants to talk about these refereeing decisions, but he can't. These yellow cards are gone beyond a joke."

• Advertisement

Far as I know there's no real benefit in appealing, unless you count saving Tommy's reputation. I think that anyone with eyes can see it was an injustice, and those people who have it in for Tommy will have it in for him regardless, so best to choose your battles in terms of appeals and so on.

Anyways, this weekend, anyone going? Not sure if I'll be able to make it myself. I haven't seen much of Clare this year except for highlights, but lads within the club seem to be happy with the fitness levels and (for the most part) selections that Davy is making. Now, some of those think they will fade off come summer and that they are wrong to target the league. But I think more than any other team it's vital for Clare not to go straight back to Div 2, would be a huge hit to morale. Whatever about all that, I would be very interested to see how we get on in this match.

I hope we see Murphy in goal again, he's not the saviour we need in that position, but he's confient under the dropping ball. Puck outs can be fixed. I'd be very worried about our full back line now without Jackie or Murphy. That said, if this means Paddy Hogan plays corner back I'll be happy, think he's far better there.

I thought that, by and large, the half backs did very well last week in terms of cleaning up, but the ball into the forwards has been far from satisfactory in all three games now.Against Waterford and Tipp the ball was often put in to a back, or two, all on his own, and against a speedy set of forwards like Clare have that could be very dangerous if their backs have time to pick out men for low fast ball. We might be helped by Davy's insistence on short passing, tippy tappy codology, which our players' incredible refinement of the art of pressuring backs will probably pay dividends on.

Regarding Colin Fennelly, do people think it's the captaincy that is affecting him? I don't know, but I think the simplest explanation would be that he's just not good in full forward. Bit of a waste of his strengths to be honest. Would like to see him in the corner and Richie Power in full. Also would like to see Richie Hogan on the wing, his eye for scores (which is sometimes close to selfishness) sometimes gets in the way of distribution. That said he did roast Brick the last day.

What do ye think of midfield? Lester Ryan is nearly a no-brainer at this point, he's really improved all along. But who else? Richie Power is good there, but I prefer him in the forwards of course...

Really dunno about the result, and less concerned about it than I was going into the Waterford game for some reason, probably cos the league is so tight now. Possibly a draw, especially if the weather stays as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

It is Tommy's reputation that matters. Also the KK County Board should send out a clear message that they are not going to put up with injuries and injustices again this year.

Conor Fogarty and Paddy Hogan likely to fill the corner back positions on Sun. Michael Fennelly may be back at midfield with the inform Lester. I too hope to see Murphy on goal again. While I agree with your views about Colin F he may be struggling due to army training duties rather than the captaincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Grats wrote: »
    It is Tommy's reputation that matters. Also the KK County Board should send out a clear message that they are not going to put up with injuries and injustices again this year.

Conor Fogarty and Paddy Hogan likely to fill the corner back positions on Sun. Michael Fennelly may be back at midfield with the inform Lester. I too hope to see Murphy on goal again. While I agree with your views about Colin F he may be struggling due to army training duties rather than the captaincy.

I get the view from watching Tommy that he's not too worried about his 'reputation', given the manner in which he received his first yellow against Tipperary and his loose swing against Galway.

And what injustices are you referring to, Michael Rice? Pauric Maher staying on the field had no bearing on the game though I do believe it was shocking he didn't manage to at least accumulate to yellow cards over the course of that game. But a suspension would have been immaterial because it would be up by the time the league rolled round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Grats wrote: »

Will they also issue an edict against players pulling opponents hurls and pushing their helmets down over their faces?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Do not forget the overarching rule of "Don't be a dick" is always in place, I count snide remarks as being a dick and will lead to infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I wouldn't think there's a strong argument for overturning it. Tommy did take a swipe in the direction of the player rather than the ball. Harmless enough but it was a yellow card. I'd like to see this pulled up more often as I think some players are inclined to wave their hurleys around to stop their markers going in to tackle them. Though I do think Tommy was just being a bit petulant rather than doing that in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Tommy walsh is a great hurler but he is extremely careless with his hurley at times, and im amazed he hasnt been sent off numerous times over the years. Cody seems to like to call it a manly game when it suits him to do so and call it dangerous when it suits him, but the calls often dont make sense for the good of the game overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭me89

Great to see Rice back for Sunday :-D

me89 wrote: »
    Great to see Rice back for Sunday :-D

That's fantastic news!

• Advertisement

Kilkenny Team v Clare

EOIN MURPHY                          GLENMORE
    PADDY HOGAN                         DANESFORT
    J.J. DELANEY                             FENIANS