Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

inisboffin wrote: »
    While many would agree with your general sentiment, it is the highlighted part that I suspect has people disagreeing.

I'm not sure why.
    Many many people go out until 5am and tend not to cause harm to others directly or indirectly. If they did the country would be chaotic.

A lot people have an issue in this country with alcohol and alcohol is often used as an "excuse" for the behavior of an individual. This is what needs to change, not licensing laws or indeed student grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Haha, you sir (or madame) are an conservative idiot. Are you freaking kidding me? I for one was an American Student that now works and pays taxes here. And your argument is completely invalid. Every person above 18 can do whatever the hell they want as long as they are respecting the law. You have no say so in how they choose to spend their free time. Jesus, some people...

It's not about what people do. It's about how tax payer money is spent. It stands to reason, if anti-social behavior is rife during the academic year and Irish students not foreign nationals have their fees subsidized and many get a maintenance grant then isn't it a logical conclusion that perhaps many of the people involved in disturbances are students, doesn't it stand to reason to suggest that if students are drunk and causing anti-social behavior it's because they have money to do so? Where do they get money from? Their parents and the tax payers.

Who are the one's affected most by the anti-social behavior? Garda resources are spent on disturbances, A&E resources on alcohol and drug related issues involving students, non-students living in estates around the city having their peace disrupted.

Lecturers in NUIG have written into the editorial section of the local paper on the topic. E.g. The French lecturer talking about poor attendance and that out of the one's that do show up about 25% are drunk or hungover. And I believe in that case she was talking about on a Monday morning which isn't even one of the busier nights...

Everybody is entitled to their opinion though, no need to bad mouth other posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

all this talk about reducing grants to make students drink less is laughable (the grant covers rent, the rest of the money comes from parents
    so unless you have a way of regulating pocket money...............)
    as is the talk about peoples taxes being wasted on students

cut the grant, cut the access to education, cut the amount of people in good paying jobs and see where it gets you.
    come back to me when your taxes are going to an unskilled workforce who rely on social welfare and tell me how you feel then.

really now, the universities have to be harsh and hard on people who break the law. we dont need to do an across the board crackdown on people who get the grant. that is not fair at all. punish the anti-social students, leave the rest alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't know. The grant is meant as a maintenance grant, I don't think that's to maintain a certain level of drunkeness.
    Agreed. The adjacent rate will just about pay for transport for nine months whereas the full rate (at 100% maintenance) will just about cover rent in an urban area over the same period.
    I think people who are paying taxes should be allowed to have an opinion and say.
    I'm going to sound like Vincent Browne here but I detest the word 'taxpayer'. Everyone has to pay tax in some way -- namely VAT. Those with better means -- namely those working full time -- happen to pay more as they are in a better position to do so and rightfully so. There are bigger taxation issues here, starting in the pay of our own TDs and 'road' tax going into the exchequer. The problem is: us Irish have an awful habit of moaning and complaining to other but not to the people who can actually make changes.
    ...What's the incentive to work. I can go back to college and go on the dole and not pay taxes and get drunk instead. And I could. I could do that on 188 a week...
    Incentives? Many. Confidence- and moral-boosting, having a routine, having interaction with people, getting out of the house, having a sense of purpose and independence. And, no, you would certainly would not get the dole as a full-time student, obviously. Again, you would not be getting €188 a week as most students are in the 18-22 age group, in which case they would only be eligible for €144 a week, even were they to be eligible for JSA/JSB, which they wouldn't. You'd have to resort to juggling coursework and a part-time job, if you were lucky enough to get one, as I and many others have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ethernet wrote: »
    Incentives? Many. Confidence- and moral-boosting, having a routine, having interaction with people, getting out of the house, having a sense of purpose and independence. And, no, you would certainly would not get the dole as a full-time student, obviously. Again, you would not be getting €188 a week as most students are in the 18-22 age group, in which case they would only be eligible for €144 a week, even were they to be eligible for JSA/JSB, which they wouldn't. You'd have to resort to juggling coursework and a part-time job, if you were lucky enough to get one, as I and many others have.

If you're between 18 and 22 you only get 100 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Every person above 18 can do whatever the hell they want as long as they are respecting the law. You have no say so in how they choose to spend their free time. Jesus, some people...

And that is where this thread started: people breaking the law.

... am working hard to hold my fingers away from the keys "pot" and "kettle" ....

kippy wrote: »
    And you never spend earnings from these activities on discretionary items, never wasted the money from these items?

Students and others have every right to be up until five AM, doing whatever they want, so long as it doesn't interfere with the health and welfare of others in my opinion.

I haven't actually said anything about how students spend their money.

I'm more concerned about whether they're making use of the substantial taxpayer funded opportunities that are being made available to them - and which likely cost a lot more than their grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you're between 18 and 22 you only get 100 a week.

And as a full time student you still wouldn't qualify for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JustMary wrote: »
    And that is where this thread started: people breaking the law.

... am working hard to hold my fingers away from the keys "pot" and "kettle" ....

I haven't actually said anything about how students spend their money.

I'm more concerned about whether they're making use of the substantial taxpayer funded opportunities that are being made available to them - and which likely cost a lot more than their grants.

People have been using and abusing opportunities for decades, right across the board - not that people who stay up till 5 am are abusing anything.
    Ultimately, if this effects their studies, they are only making life more difficult for them.

Look at licensing laws elsewhere, strict closing times and laws on alcohol change nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Looking at Twitter the clubs may be able to open later, nothing confirmed but I collected the tweets I saw below:

http://storify.com/atdavey/galway-club-opening-times-back-to-2am

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The newest batch of exemptions have been awarded to 2am, Judge Mary Fahy signed off on them today.

Hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Well timed for Arthurs Day I see...

dmcg90 wrote: »

just happens to the day they were due to be done to be honest...

It's always the last wednesday of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

dmcg90 wrote: »

They dont take effect until the start of the month, so well timed for monday night.

I'd imagine they might get away with later tonight and tomorrow to be honest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Carbon said they're opening till 2 tonight anyway

EDIT- Sorry they didn't actually specify they were tonight so who knows!

WE can only hope, heard from a publican on quay street that the Gardaí have warned all pubs on the street that if people are caught outside the pubs with drinks in there hand, fines will be issued.

empacher wrote: »
    WE can only hope, heard from a publican on quay street that the Gardaí have warned all pubs on the street that if people are caught outside the pubs with drinks in there hand, fines will be issued.

Good luck issuing fines to 1000 plus people.

****ing stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

What exactly happened today? All the clubs seem to be giving credit to the Roisin Dubh on Facebook.

What's wrong with drinking outside the pubs on quay street, its part of what quay street is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Seaneh wrote: »
    Good luck issuing fines to 1000 plus people.

****ing stupidity.

I think they issue the pubs with fines, not the punters

juicet3rry wrote: »
    I think they issue the pubs with fines, not the punters

Equally stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's wrong with drinking outside the pubs on quay street, its part of what quay street is all about.

Ahh, it's illegal. If you think it shouldn't be speak to you TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh, it's illegal. If you think it shouldn't be speak to you TD.

Would you ever bore off. If they start enforcing that byelaw it will be amended too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I walked right past 2 gardai on O Briens bridge last night buckfast in hand (no brown bag) on my way to the roisin. My friends all had cans too and they didn't say a word! Just kept walking. Town was mental, I've never seen so many gardai on the streets. It was like paddy's day.

and everywhere i saw closed by 1:30am. looks like the guards are going to enforce the times right till monday

It seems I was told something that was half right.

The Roisin were awarded an exemption until 2am, Simon Harris was able to show takings were down by 20% over the 6 weeks since the Gaurds started enforcing the 1am exemptions and Judge Fahy was convinced to give the 2am exemption despite the licencing sargent and superindendant arguing against the idea.

This ruling sets a set a precedent which means when the other clubs/pubs apply for a 2am licence the court will be obliged to award it.

This is why the clubs/pubs were giving the Roisin the credit, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

The Roisin were awarded an exemption until 2am, Simon Harris was able to show takings were down by 20% over the 6 weeks since the Gaurds started enforcing the 1am exemptions and Judge Fahy was convinced to give the 2am exemption despite the licencing sargent and superindendant arguing against the idea.

This ruling sets a set a precedent which means when the other clubs/pubs apply for a 2am licence the court will be obliged to award it.

20% eh? and people claiming this was been overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

and everywhere i saw closed by 1:30am. looks like the guards are going to enforce the times right till monday

Dont want to say where but I know there was more than the Roisin open til 2:30 ISH!' last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

What the judge actually said was that Gardaí have ignored 2am closing for 14 years and effectively a precedent was set. Evidence was given by Simon Heaslip if the Roisin and Maurice Gillen of Electric Garden and Halo. There's a court report in the tribune today

Advertisement