Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ard Scoil level with Rochestown at the break. Started slow, 4 or 5 points down but rallied to level things up. Rochestown then got a goal, but ASR scored the last 3 points of the half.

Apparently Rochestown have the wind in the 2nd half, so they'll be up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ard Scoil level with Rochestown at the break. Started slow, 4 or 5 points down but rallied to level things up. Rochestown then got a goal, but ASR scored the last 3 points of the half.

Apparently Rochestown have the wind in the 2nd half, so they'll be up against it.

Sounds like the phrase 'goals wins games' was never more apt than here, 4-11 to 1-17, two good showings nevertheless, at the very least the minor team can concentrate on the Munster championship now without any disturbances...

You can't concede 4 goals in a game and realistically expect to win. Disappointing for Ard Scoil, but they've been a powerhouse at this level for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Giving cork a nice beating hope it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Limerick win 3-20 to 1-16

All of limericks scores come from play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Won the game. 3-20 to 1-16
    All 3-20 scored from play, 2-11 in the first half.
    Gavin O'Mahoney played as he is suspended for Kilmallocks semi final next week.
    Cork had a largely experimental team out but a good win for Limerick anyway.

Very good commentary by Liam Ahern and Leo O'Connor on 95FM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

washman3 wrote:
    Won the game. 3-20 to 1-16 All 3-20 scored from play, 2-11 in the first half. Gavin O'Mahoney played as he is suspended for Kilmallocks semi final next week. Cork had a largely experimental team out but a good win for Limerick anyway.

washman3 wrote:
    Very good commentary by Liam Ahern and Leo O'Connor on 95FM

That's a very impressive result. Although its only January, being in good form now is still important as the games versus Waterford and Wexford are round 1 and 3 of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Not surprised at Ardscoil, not quite at the level they were in recent years plus took their eye off the ball. When a team refers to themselves as a "Croke Cup" team I don't believe its unfair to accuse that team of taking their progression to the Harty Cup final for granted.

I know its just a Mickey mouse competition but its good to head into the league on the back of a good run in the WCC. Pity we didn't try a few more players instead of heading into games with a panel of 19/20 players but good to see Lynch and the Morisseys and A.Breen get a few games. Interested to see if we start with O'Grady at centre back in the league, I hope we do to be honest, with Wayne back at 5.

Optimistic ahead of the league now. Time to get out of 1B!!

It was a good win, a nice run-out... it was a match we would have wanted to be winning considering the respective line-ups, but it was good to see a couple of things tried- Condon at wing-back, Dodge at centre-back, King partnered with Jim-Bob in the middle, Gavin at centre-forward, Breen and Tom Morrissey inside.

We were the better team for sure, bit worrying how many shots the Cork forward line were able to get away throughout, Walsh in particular was quite loose. and there was a lot of space around our half-back line. Richie Mc was outstanding at full-back. Condon scored two fantastic points in a row from way out on the wing, I was impressed with him at wing-back, Dan Morrissey grew into the game.

Jim-Bob made a few errors, but was generally very good, he's a class act. Gavin went well at centre-forward, scored a goal and was brilliantly denied another by Collins. He impressed me, surprised as I was to see him start.

Breen got 2 goals and a few points, you can't really argue with that, even though he struggled to get the ball into his hand a lot. Someone who picks up scores like that is useful. Begley brilliantly set up the 3rd goal with an unbelievable catch and clever pass.

Couple other mentions, Cian Lynch was a long way from his best. It is a step up, and maybe needs to cut out some of the overly fancy flicks. At the same time, his accuracy was superb and scored 0-3 from play.

Nickie Quaid... what a goalkeeper he is. Absolutely superb under a high ball, came out with the ball on a number of occasions. Best moment for me was when he was under a high ball on his goalline, took a slap in the face from Cian McCarthy but still held onto the ball and broke out before being awarded the free. Class. I want to see him move to centre-back, but when he plays like that, you'd wonder how could you.

Two highlights in terms of scores, bar Condon's spectacular efforts, were Cian Lynch's one where he flicked it over a defender's head, before taking it on his stick on the other side and pointing with class.

Or else Dowling's one... had literally just moved to wing-forward, caught the ball clean over his marker's head and drove it straight between the uprights. Unbelievable score on what was a quiet enough day for him.

Patrick Collins is a great young goalkeeper but had a bit of a nightmare, I'd say we scored directly from 3 or 4 of his puckouts and lost the ball coming out which led to a goal for us too.

Cork did bring on the big guns- Horgan, O'Sullivan, Joyce, Ellis, Harnedy... Joyce in particular was great, but the 3rd goal killed the game and we rean out easy winners just as I was getting slightly worried.

A good game on a very cold night, hard for players to catch clean possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

It was a good win, a nice run-out... it was a match we would have wanted to be winning considering the respective line-ups, but it was good to see a couple of things tried- Condon at wing-back, Dodge at centre-back, King partnered with Jim-Bob in the middle, Gavin at centre-forward, Breen and Tom Morrissey inside.

We were the better team for sure, bit worrying how many shots the Cork forward line were able to get away throughout, Walsh in particular was quite loose. and there was a lot of space around our half-back line. Richie Mc was outstanding at full-back. Condon scored two fantastic points in a row from way out on the wing, I was impressed with him at wing-back, Dan Morrissey grew into the game.

Jim-Bob made a few errors, but was generally very good, he's a class act. Gavin went well at centre-forward, scored a goal and was brilliantly denied another by Collins. He impressed me, surprised as I was to see him start.

Breen got 2 goals and a few points, you can't really argue with that, even though he struggled to get the ball into his hand a lot. Someone who picks up scores like that is useful. Begley brilliantly set up the 3rd goal with an unbelievable catch and clever pass.

Couple other mentions, Cian Lynch was a long way from his best. It is a step up, and maybe needs to cut out some of the overly fancy flicks. At the same time, his accuracy was superb and scored 0-3 from play.

Nickie Quaid... what a goalkeeper he is. Absolutely superb under a high ball, came out with the ball on a number of occasions. Best moment for me was when he was under a high ball on his goalline, took a slap in the face from Cian McCarthy but still held onto the ball and broke out before being awarded the free. Class. I want to see him move to centre-back, but when he plays like that, you'd wonder how could you.

Two highlights in terms of scores, bar Condon's spectacular efforts, were Cian Lynch's one where he flicked it over a defender's head, before taking it on his stick on the other side and pointing with class.

Or else Dowling's one... had literally just moved to wing-forward, caught the ball clean over his marker's head and drove it straight between the uprights. Unbelievable score on what was a quiet enough day for him.

Patrick Collins is a great young goalkeeper but had a bit of a nightmare, I'd say we scored directly from 3 or 4 of his puckouts and lost the ball coming out which led to a goal for us too.

Cork did bring on the big guns- Horgan, O'Sullivan, Joyce, Ellis, Harnedy... Joyce in particular was great, but the 3rd goal killed the game and we rean out easy winners just as I was getting slightly worried.

A good game on a very cold night, hard for players to catch clean possession.
    Congratulations on the win Fireball

I think cork team names pretty weak though in ley areas and I said this Friday here and most rating cork players I though below standard came through

Limerick had stronger team and don't think jbm wanted win in hr never made changes tol halt time and even then was minimum hr kept lads hr had faith in all year

Riche mac outstanding and have give luke no room

Corner back was brilliant but said before many times cork thread that Mccarthy isn't forward senior Intercounty for cork

Moylan had goal won lot ball no support

I said o grady isn't centre back buy though hr handle Mccarthy but when cian gets five play off him probes my point not centre back and only place him is sweeper

Condon was awesome but lawton is poor but Condon has done against best other games and huge fan him

Murray was horror but as said before Morrissey should be fine but imo he's not senior elite as have tougher opponents

Ryan was brilliant as always

And Walsh and haughney done well

Niall moran had a nightmare he was poor be fair now

Lynch was very good he'll grow with time and super hurler

Said he would destroy Sullivan or o Connor and he did

Breen I advocates here last year as many know despite many saying no mot up ot this Lad proved what o always knew is awesmoric hurler ten times better than Tobin and while Kearney poor defender like said many day cork thread he still was brilliant tonight imo must start in league

Morrissey good game and Dowling had solid game but Cahalane done imo very good but twas break ball goal game off twice and that was imo done poor corner back no support than he being poor

He got great point but Cahalane good

Collins didn't have night mare he fault one goal and few puck outs went poor but solid general made one great save

Think limerick would be wrong take much in to it and only three possible team started start cork in summer so weak cork team and not saying it after but I said this Friday

O mahogany tool goal well lorchan steadied up and imo hurled lot ball after

As for ard scoil most limerick felt they win most talking was and even thread here ard scoil were favourite
    I on cork thread said ard scoil would loose

Wasn't they just took eye off ball they trough be told were dominated and outhuhrled most aera nut brilliant lunch and huge spirt kept them I'm it and they never gave up but the better team absolutely won

I don't belive the talk that now limerick have one focus for minor help them
    This will go against them and imo the awe invincibility is gone cork limerick under age teams and cork relish not fear limerick now

The gap haa closed hugely like I said before and today was litmus test

Limerick so good last few years as harty cup teams done well and harty I'd minor standard so teams dropped out final shows imo struggling this year as Wallis loss will be hugely felt also

Also lynch Cosgrove Nash who carried both limerick teams semi final are not eligible where Kingston cormack griffin looney smith cashman o mahogany o brien besaung and o Halloron and hennessy in munster b competition cork have just too many key big names players with huge strength in depth and some lads don't make cork minor cut panel this week are imo better some limerick lads

Said all year cork minor extremely strong this year
    Today harty win was more significant cork hurling than waterford crystal cup
    Ist team since charville in final and aim be ist winner nine years but more importantly team ended great great ard scoil dominance

Ard scoil credit limerick and will be back but even best failed all Ireland win and without lynch long way off now
    I feel for lynch as exceptional talent like him deserves all Ireland

• Advertisement

One point I noticed that proves again I believe ronan lynch I'd not a full forward but a poor one tbh but is a truly outstanding exceptional defender and midfield player but put him in full forward for a time imo showed he is not a forward imo

Moran is outstanding coach so he made many great call in past so must had reason to do it but thurles all Ireland final and today imo showed he is not imo a forward

Could be senior centre back in time or midfielder for the next seven to ten years but if he's played as a forward he'll be only a shadow of the great player he can be

Castletroy being beaten I'm suprised they ran them to a point but results imo was no surprise as they struggled beat ag by a point got out of jail v Youghal and lucky v colman and imo were hugely reliable on la touch Cosgrove Nash and Lyons all exceptional players
    All three over age for the minors and huge huge losses to them

Limerick under twenty one team next year will be the team imo won all Ireland I'm convinced of that but there the imo only limerick team I'd have huge confidence in

Ill also add niall moran deserves huge credit for training a team and playing few hours later no doubt there
    I think he's imo whatever they say brings moral etc and players asked him be panel by management imo cody wouldn't do it, players is not on it over players want him or good for moral alone, not what limerick need at senior but they should get him involved in coaching ASAP as ard scoil when beaten went down like true champions never gave up and niall moran deserves huge credit for that and he is proven be excellent young modern coach

He has so much to offer limerick imo In a coaching capacity

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into the overall result, a margin of about 10 points would probably be what you'd expect considering the respective teams on display. It was nice to see some of the fringe players, particularly up front, get a good run out though and we seem to be motoring nicely for the league... we need a strong perfomance this year in that competition.

A look at each player individually:

Quaid- Super player. Class, ultra-reliable, puck-outs are good, unbelievable under the high ball, plenty of bravery too. Give him a go outfield but we know he is rock solid in goal.

Walsh- I thought he was a bit loose at times... Cork hit a lot of wides, some due to pressure, but they were able to get lots of shots away. I've seen him play much better.

McCarthy- A warrior of a man, absolutely superb today, he'll feel confident of handling most forwards in Ireland.

Hickey- A very good performance, if not quite at his brilliant best. One great take in the air really showed what he could at wing-back, but he's class in the corner.

Condon- 3 super points from play. Didn't clean his man out in the air, but was well on top, won the rucks and has the hurling for the position. Would like to see it persisted with during the league, if he can offer that kind of scoring regularly, that would be great.

O'Grady- A solid-ish game, but seemed to be playing very deep as a centre-back, which meant there was a lot of space for the Cork half-forward line to pick up and Cian McCarthy did have a good game. If we are to do that, we need to play our midfield very deep.

Morrissey- Solid, but not spectacular. Again, didn't clean his man in the air but hassled and harried well, and grew into the game as time went on. Maybe needed to lay down a marker with players returning.

Ryan- Well we all know what you get from Jim-Bob, you get fierce work rate and clever use of the ball and he does that for as long as he's on the pitch whether it's in January or September. Two points from play, made a few errors too but still a powerful performance as you'd expect.

King- He's a frustrating player. Think he scored two points from play, and works really hard but hit some awful wides and gave away the ball too which you really can't afford to do at the highest level. His pace and stamina are great, and he does brilliantly to come out of rucks with the ball, but I fear TJ may look elsewhere for midfield now- to Paudie O'Brien, to Tom Ryan, maybe even to Cian Lynch. Maybe worth a look at corner-back. Scored a nice volleyed point, but only after he went for goal when it really wasn't on... although I shouldn't complain as it was clear they had intent in going for goals today and did get 3.

Moran- Hit two points from play but like King, also hit some bad wides and struggled to get on top. Really needed to lay down a marker if he's to be involved come Championship, but went off with an injury early in the 2nd half. His little Q & A in the programme was amusing though.

O'Mahoney- Didn't expect him to be involved, especially at centre-forward, but he did his chances no harm at all, he was good. Scored a fine goal after a powerful run through the middle, added two points from play, which is great scoring from a player known as a back... was also desperately unlucky not to get a 2nd goal in the 1st half, Collins made a brilliant save to deny a vicious effort towards the bottom corner, although he was a long way out. Again, the intent was there, normally he'd have just tapped it over.

Lynch- There is no doubt that he has all the talent in the world... I'm a huge fan of his and would definitely start him in the Championship but I think he struggled at times today. Scored an unbelievable individual score and his accuracy was always good, but physically he did get pushed around a bit and I thought he was second to the ball on a few occasions, when work rate isn't normally a weakness of his. Also there were 2 or 3 times where he tried to do something fancy and lost possession... when it comes off, it's class, but maybe just needs to keep it simple at the highest level.

Morrissey- I was delighted to see him get a start in the corner. Didn't terrorise his marker or anything but was pretty impressive. Got two points, one of which was very unlucky not to go in the back of the net... was just inches over after he had beaten the keeper. First goal came from good play by him too. I'd like to see him get more chances, hopefully he'll grow into the role.

Dowling- Not a superb display from Dowling, but he was still good. Didn't get a huge amount of ball in on top of him and was better when he came out around the field... in the first half, he came out and delivered a beautiful crossfield ball to Tom Morrissey in space, and his only point came from wing-forward too. Had another chance when he moved to centre-forward but his shot was on his weaker side and drifted wide. He's a clever player though, set up a Jim-Bob point with a short free that he came back into his own half to take...... you'd have no fear of him though, wasn't at his best, but when it comes to the big games, Dowling will produce.

Breen- 2-3 from play is plenty to be proud of. I wouldn't say he was at his best either, but he can certainly rack up a score. He tends to be in the right place at the right time, was there to pull in the empty net for the first goal and drifted off his marker to receive a pass for the 2nd too. On a less cold day, he'd win more in the air, he was out in front a lot... I'd like to see him take on his man more and use his pace.... he's a player that will be valuable if his work rate stays high and he constantly moves.

---

Browne- He was the first sub, started at wing-forward when he came on for Moran and he did add a lot. Quality hurler, brings pace and direction and carried the ball a huge amount, which told against tiring legs. Did hit a bad wide and got absolutely flattened by Joyce too (fair shoulder).

Wayne- Came on and did very well, huge amount of work, emerged with the ball a lot. Will start in the big games, but will it be at centre-back or wing-back?

Begley- Two beautiful catches that set up a goal and a point... his height, physical presence and aerial prowess make him a real nuisance. I can see why TJ brought him in. Is he going to be good enough against top opposition? We have to see in the league... I don't want to be bringing him on, simply hoping for the best against the big boys. But if he can beat the top full-backs in the air, then he'll be an asset.

Fitzgibbon- Unlucky not to get a point, worked hard, but also got blocked down when he was too slow to move the ball on. Not convinced. But he is just back from an injury, so I should be patient, I suppose.

Allis- No real time to show what he can do.

Tom Ryan & Tommy O'Brien were the subs not used. Tommy seems to be out of the picture now, slipped well down the pecking order... although with another injury to Moran, we are really getting short up front. Not sure about Ryan, I know he has been carrying an injury but we saw Fitzgibbon back today... if Ryan was fit, I'm disappointed we didn't see him, would have been a good chance to showcase what he can do at wing-back or midfield. If he is still injured, we better hope he's fit soon as I think we'll need him in 2015 and we need to see whether he's good enough to start.

We scored 3-20 all from play. That's good scoring, but it also says the Cork backs didn't foul... at all. There were no frees in their half that I can remember. That's good discipline, but good defences sometimes give away frees just by getting close... the Cork backs were probably a bit easy on our forwards so you do have to take that into account too. They did bring on the big guns and finished with a much stronger team but we had a fairly strong team throughout and the 3rd goal killed it.

Gavin didn't harm his chances of starting in the half-forward line, although I would again say that Hannon has to start at 11, Gavin should be trialled at 10 or 12 if anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Just a quick query as to why Dan Morrisey didn't play for UL in Fitz but lined out for Limerick tonight? Injury or has he opted this way? Good hurler.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Just a quick query as to why Dan Morrisey didn't play for UL in Fitz but lined out for Limerick tonight? Injury or has he opted this way? Good hurler.

Opted.

Not sure if he'll be playing Fitz now that our other college-tied players will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Opted.

Not sure if he'll be playing Fitz now that our other college-tied players will be back.

Cheers, I suppose the group UL have means there's a good bit of flexibility through the group stages. He'd be a big player for them. He was captain last year if I remember correctly.

Giving cork a nice beating hope it continues

Congratulations paddy on the win beating cork c team In some cases
    Great massive win for tj, fourth attempt beat cork for the ist time
    Progress I must admit is definitely being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

We'll score enough to win an all ireland, just worried about how much we concede, I wont be happy until I see tomas ryan get a few games in the 5 jersey and barry hennessey getting a few games in goals.

We'll score enough to win an all ireland, just worried about how much we concede, I wont be happy until I see tomas ryan get a few games in the 5 jersey and barry hennessey getting a few games in goals.

Unlikely to happen imo tj even by team last night is imo has he type player picked

Niall moran credit due commitment but what was tj doing pick guy after two hours before coach team enthralling cup hurling game

Shouldn't been started

No logic to it and lot limerick fans I spoke to agreed
    Game like that you play new guys
    I heard moran has great chance start summer if true as there huge fan him

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Nice to be winning matches although given the relative strength of the teams put out it was a game we should be winning. Should hit the ground running in the league after the little run of games.

I like the use of the panel so far. Good spread of players used, can't quibble too much with the players used as they were really all that was available. Lynch being given a great chance to win a starting place, Morrissey likewise at wing back. Young Morrissey and Adrian Breen both getting plenty of opportunity too, each unlikely to start in summer I think but either could be a good corner forward sub if they keep improving. Begley getting loads of game time too though I still feel Dowling is the 14 and Downes the back up. Maybe Moran. King getting lots of time too, still think I'd like to see him in the corner at this level but he has shown in the past that he can come in at midfield at championship and do things well. Still think Dempsey is a better player though.

Last few games have shown a bit of original thinking from management too. Condon at wing back is interesting, any limerick fan would have been looking at moving hickey to wing back and leave condon where he is. DOG to 6 also interesting. O'Brien and Begley both being played in different positions to their usual. O'Mahony at centre forward a surprise for everyone. I reckon that last was a bit for his and kilmallock's benefit, if they get over the semi final he'll be playing there for them in the club final so good for him and them to get another game there. I expect he'll be back in his wing back spot come summer though he could be great at half forward. If he's added in there we have half forwards coming out our ears.

Nice start to the season. Look forward to the league and seeing how the team develops.

Great start for the footballers down in Kilmallock, listening on the radio.

Went into a 4-0 lead, also hit 4 wides before Marren got a score for Sligo.

Hegarty seems to be dominant, Neville causing problems; Browne & Fahey also doing well. 0-5 to 0-1 now, think there's 2 for Lyons from frees, 1 from Buckley, 1 from Neville and 1 from Sheehan (they were unsure who scored it, it came from a short kick-out).

• Advertisement

0-6 to 0-4 at the break, probably should be further ahead but it sounds like a good performance. Let's hope they can get the win, the 2 points are the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Was at the game last night - fine snappy hurling for the time of the year, good crowd in Mallow, impressive facilities as well, I had no idea there was such a big stand down there. Wanton abandonment of cars on the road down to the pitch, the stewards were going bananas with lads throwing the cars at the kerb just outside the gates. :D

Given the strenght of the teams involved it was a game we should have been winning, but it was good to win it well. The Waterford Crystal trophy will look mighty on Dodge's mantlepiece.

Going through the team on the night:

Nickie Quaid - I know I'd like to see him given a run at centre-back as well, but Jesus he is safe as houses in goals at the same time. Rarely puts a foot wrong, which is a gift in itself, and intelligently works the ball out when he gathers. I can't see him being shifted for championship.

Stephen Walsh - Did his claim for a jersey no harm I felt, and may well be first in line given the option of moving Condon out. Out-and-out tenacious corner-back, was caught pace wise a bit towards the end a few times against Horgan, but didn't lunge in like Condon might and kept the man on the right side.

Richie Mc - Full-forwards must wonder how to approach him. I've spent years watching him going up against faster hurlers, bigger hurlers, wristier hurlers, expecting to see Richie at last get roasted, and he has kept every one of them in his arse pocket. One of the most effective hurlers in the country right now, certainly the best full-back since JJ retired - it's mad to think Donal O'Grady had him a centre-forward (and on frees). A joy to watch.

Séamus Hickey - quiet enough game, but was never troubled. Barring injury a certain starter in May.

Tom Condon - Had a good half of hurling on the wing, scoring three superb long range points. In contrast to Hickey, I think the freedom of playing in the half-back line suits him more than being in the corner and I would like to see this being persisted with. Brings a bit of bite to the half-back line compared to the Kilmallock lads, not fantastic in the air but gets over it somewhat by bringing that agression to the table.

Donal O'Grady - I thought he struggled somewhat on Cian McCarthy, who roamed a bit and got 0-5 from play. Didn't have as much of an influence as I'd hoped. Think the fight for place in the half-back line in general, but particularly centre-back, is quite open at the minute, hard to know what we'll see come May.

Dan Morrissey - Grew as the game went on, clear that he hasn't played the system as much as some of the more experienced players, opting to drive clearances long, rather than placing them or working the ball out, but that will come. Has had a good WCC and well in with a shout for a starting spot.

Cathal King - Had a frustrating night. Spilled a good bit of ball and missed a few chances, although he ended up with 0-2. I think because of the engine he has alone, the management see him as a back-up midfielder rather than a corner-back, so hopefully he gets the chance to play some more during the league and his hurling will come on.

James Ryan - Typical James Ryan. Has become one of the most vital cogs in the team.

Cian Lynch - Missed the UCC match, didn't feel he had as good a game last night as the Waterford match, which I did see. A bit light and just a bit inexperienced, wwhat ith the amount of players going for places in the forwards he mightn't make the first 15 against Clare, but he will be there or thereabouts. Still think the inventiveness and movement he brings will be invaluable come summer, whether as a starter or coming off the bench.

Gavin O'Mahoney - wasn't expecting to see him play last night, but I was glad he did. Had an excellent first half, cut open the Cork defence for the first goal and pulled the one good moment out the Cork keeper a few minutes later with a shot from distance. A beautiful striker of the ball, he has certainly put his hand up for a position in the half-forwards where competition is already intense. Intelligent by everyone involved to get him on the pitch last night.

Niall Moran - Can't see him making the matchday panel in May, but I am sure having him on the panel provides invaluable experience to the youngsters coming through, many of whom he taught/trained in Ardscoil. A future manager/coach of Limerick.

Adrian Breen - Doesn't see a whole lot of the ball but still ends up with 2-03 - has had a very economic WCC, cemented his place on the panel and I would imagine he will see a lot of gametime in the league.

Shane Dowling - quiet day at the office, interesting he had his two most effective cameos at wing forward, sending a peach of a ball into Tom Morrissey in the first half. In the second half then, he fetched from a puckout and scored immediately after shifting out to make room for Begley, when we needed a score to steady the ship. Probably still in pole-position for the number 14 jersey, but having the luxury to rotate with the like of Downes or David Breen going in for spells at the edge of the square would give great variance in styles to the full-forward position. Would need to up the work-rate somewhat to make that happen as you need to stop the opposition backs coming out - Downes actually did well at this last year.

Tom Morrissey - A bit too early for him yet, but time is on his side. Again having that youth and skill as an option to come off the bench is a big improvement panelwise compared to last year.

Of those who came on, Browne and McNamara brought what you'd expect, Begley had his most effective spell so far setting up a goal and a point. Again it's an option but I'm not sure if he will be used. Allis & Fitzgibbon not on long enough.

---

In fairness, Teege has mixed it well during the WCC while maintaining a strong team at all times. A few interesting options have been looked at, Condon to 5, Lynch at 10, GOM to 11. I know there will be an onus on winning the games on the league but I would like to see a bit of experimentation regarding the full-back line; another corner-back looked at and maybe Hickey/Walsh/Condon taking a game or two at full-back. Centre-back needs to be nailed down. Eager to see Kevin Downes back in action at some point during the league - if we can extract the best from him this year then the forwards as a whole will take some stopping.

Fine win for the footballers in Kilmallock. 0-14 to 1-09
    Lost our way in the second half and fell 3 behind.
    Sligo had a player red carded.
    We kicked a dozen wides and hit the post twice.
    Outstanding point from sub Nash from Kildimo/Pallas near the end that swung the game in our favour.
    Tipp next week in Thurles.

Great result for the footballers, thought they had let it slip, but great to get the 2 points on board. Sounded like some of the newcomers were very good, and Seanie Buckley stepped up when we needed him most. What a servant he's been to Limerick football.

Great result for the footballers, thought they had let it slip, but great to get the 2 points on board. Sounded like some of the newcomers were very good, and Seanie Buckley stepped up when we needed him most. What a servant he's been to Limerick football.

Agree, and not forgetting Johnny Mac our long serving defender. Won a vital 50/50 ball from dangerman Marrinan to set up the lead point at the end.
    Not many better sportsmen in the country than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

The hurlers have had good preparation for the Waterford game with the challenge/tournament games over the last few weeks. Management took a sensible approach giving game time to new players and trying some positional changes. The season starts in 2 weeks and I think the squad is in a better place than this time last year. Saturdays result not significant for either team but the best teams try to win every game regardless how weak the opposition are so at least we know the work ethic is there.

Well done to the footballers, as always they put in a big effort and were rewarded with a home win to raise confidence levels. Good to see some young players coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Cautiously optimistic now, the Waterford Crystal Cup is means nothing unless you emerge from it having learned a few things. Did we learn much? Yes and no. Lynch and Morissey appear to be readymade options and we tried a few positional switches. I'd question whether or not there was any real benefit to the Cork game given they played in a manner that meant they gave away virtually no frees, I'd say Cork learned more from that game than we did to be honest.

We're certainly favourites for 1B, but Waterford won't fear us, same goes for Wexford and Offaly who have both taken points from us in the last few years in 1B.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Cautiously optimistic now, the Waterford Crystal Cup is means nothing unless you emerge from it having learned a few things. Did we learn much? Yes and no. Lynch and Morissey appear to be readymade options and we tried a few positional switches. I'd question whether or not there was any real benefit to the Cork game given they played in a manner that meant they gave away virtually no frees, I'd say Cork learned more from that game than we did to be honest.

We're certainly favourites for 1B, but Waterford won't fear us, same goes for Wexford and Offaly who have both taken points from us in the last few years in 1B.

Ya cork learned they don't have many b or c options, I think TJ seemed to be using the waterford crystal to try a few things and hit the ground running in the league, his goal is to get out of 1b I feel, john Allen and O'Grady were using the league as a tune up for the championship, I think TJ may have more of an emphasis on the league, hard to know what this will do come the summer, I do think it's dangerous though to continue the policy of arsing around in the league and keep expecting things to come together for the summer, which is what happened for the last few years, limerick never seemed to have any form coming into the first game of the chanpionship.

Cork have plenty of b options so we don't need c options

Nash Mccarthy
    O Neill Sullivan
    Cahalane or Joyce
    Mcdonald, Burke
    Barry, Murphy,
    Joyce Ellis
    Lorchan, Stephen Murphy if needed

Aidan Walsh Andy walsh

Kearney, o shea and maybe haughney if he proves himself v kilkenny

Lehane coughlan
    Cooper harnedy
    John cronin if was picked pa cronin as a sub
    Paudie, moylan
    Luke Anthony Spillane
    Cadogan horgan
    Colm Spillane if free from injury will add to cork depth panel

Cork have two players for every position imo limerick don't have imo
    And a lot of cork players are hugely versatile there

Also cork have a better coaching structure than limerick imo

Also this talk that the harty cup will allow the minors have once focus and it won't affect them I disagree as minor success and harty cup has huge correlation of success in Waterford and limerick recently and it gives player's a huge vote of confidence and sharpness and edge to their hurling and while ye have a core of last year group, likes mackey, Ryan, hogan, etc have lost to cork teams and cork lads have now beaten limerick best in ard scoil so they will have huge confidence in two weeks

Kilkenny minors who won all Ireland last year showed the correlation to school from the success Kieran and kilkenny cbs teams

• Advertisement

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/2015/02/01/raw-rebels-cant-cope-with-limericks-experience/

Key points were the third sentence limerck having closer championship team and the last sentence with limerick eight plus two subs last year munster final to cork two

Brilliant truly wonderful win all the same for limerick Im sure many will cherish for a long time in limerick considered he started in ist game charge against cork tj lost other two games huge huge progress made he managed to finally beat a cork team fourth time of asking

Very very positive for the season ahead and outstanding achievement of management I must admit so early in the season

Well done to tj and all involved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement