Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

East I.H.C.
    Group 1.
    St. Saviours, Mount Sion, Butlerstown, Portlaw, Clonea, Dunhill.

Group 2.
    Ballygunner, De La Salle, St. Mollerans, Ferrybank, Tramore, Erin's Own.

A large gulf that has developed between Senior and intermediate,particularly in the east. It has been a long time since an east intermediate team has been promoted and managed to stay Senior for a sustained period of time?. Western teams have the upper hand in county finals the last number of years. I wouldn't be confident on any of the above teams being competitive at senior level if promoted, based on what I've seen last year.

EDIT: Roanmore springs to mind actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Waterford 2-14 Tipperary 0-17.

Finally, that 2015 inter-county hoodoo has been put to bed :rolleyes:

Shane Bennett with a fortuitous goal from a free, and the other goal coming from Cormac Curran (is there anything that man can't do?)

Teams were:

Waterford: O Regan; Fives Coughlan Connors; O Brien De Burca Pa Walsh; Barron O Sullivan; Moran Connors Breathnach; O Halloran Brick Walsh Kearney

Egan; Barrett Curran Meagher; O Dwyer P Maher R Maher; McGrath Stapleton; Kenny B Maher O Meara; Bourke Callanan Forde

Strong team Tipp had out, so would say quite a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ovalu

De Burca played fitzgibbon cup yesterday, plays again tonight! No wonder fellows get injured. Where's the sense in that

ovalu wrote: »
    De Burca played fitzgibbon cup yesterday, plays again tonight! No wonder fellows get injured. Where's the sense in that

Jamie Barron and Gavin O Brien as well, Jason Forde for Tipp. Waterford used 31 players in total I think.

Subs listed were:

SOK, Dillon, Cormac Curran, Shane Bennett, Darragh Fives, Tommy Waring, Mark Flynn, John Morrissey, Eoin Madigan (Roanmore), Paudi Mahony, O' Neill, Philip Mahony, DJ Foran, Mark O Brien, Tom Devine, Paudie Prendergast, Pa O Donovan

In the Fitzgibbon yesterday, there was at least 15 players from Waterford who got game time. I would guess that is the most there has ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Compared with local radios in other counties, WLR's coverage of Gaelic games is pathetic. Kildare local radio has five-hour sports programmes on Saturdays and Sundays, covering multiple sports but with a strong focus on GAA. They have live match commentaries, reports from club games all over the place, and phone-in sessions to allow listeners express their reactions to the day's events. WLR's poor coverage of Gaelic games doesn't make business sense, given the level of interest in the games around the county. I presume it has something to do with WLR's origins in Waterford City, with little empathy for the rural part of the county and a preoccupation with English soccer.

Things are little better with the county's four local newspapers, and especially the two in Dungarvan. It would be great to have one decent newspaper covering city and county with independent professional sports journalists who are not afraid of offending anybody by telling it as it is.

Was amazed when driving home from McGrath Cup win last weekend, that it featured as the second last piece of sports news on WLR. Pretty pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hard to read anything into the game tonight. Its a win i suppose and will be good for confidence but Tipp looked either way off the mark or just disinterested. Tadgh de Burca was excellent at centre back and as a unit in the first half the backs did defend stoutly. I'm not sure about Kevin Moran as a wing forward,he does some good things but still his tendency to solo down blind alleys is frustrating to watch. Brian O Halloran should have had at least 2-3 more points in the first half but took wrong options on each occasion. Tommy Connors,Michael Kearney and Shane O Sullivan were very poor aswell. Brick at full forward was effective at times but he doesn't have the natural hurling ability,as in quick wrists to take scores but given time i think a plan could be worked around him in there. When he was moved to wing forward he completely drifted out of the game. Good to see Seanie Barry getting a run in goal for the second half along with Philip Mahoney,Jake,paudie Prendergast,Shane McNulty, Shane Bennett(scored 1-2,even if his goal was very fortuitous!)Cormac Curran,Darragh Fives,mark o Brien,martin o neill,Shane Roche,john Morrissey, eoin Madigan and Padraig Mahoney aswell.
    We seemed a bit sharper and fitter than Tipp but again at times we seemed to overplay it and a few times especially in the second half balls were driven aimlessly into nobody in particular.
    Interesting to see John Allen there as a spectator in the stand also!.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

When was the last time you ever saw an interview with a manager about an upcoming game in the papers. I know you might get the same auld drivel spouted out but at least it would raise the profile of teams in the county. I'd say I wouldn't know who half the managers of other teams in senior hurling are. And I definitely say teams wouldn't know ours. The same goes for WLR. They have a show called Gaelic Corner on every Friday night during the championship. From what I've heard this entails a 5 to 10 min round up of the games on that weekend where Brian Flannery or Stephen Frampton talk about 6 games. No offense to the 2 lads but to hear them talk about a game like Ardmore Vs Ballyduff is like someone talking about a movie they have never seen but heard about. On Cork local radio their GAA coverage involves full coverage of all the games no matter what grade with journalists who know about the teams and wait for this bit. They even interview managers of teams involved to find out about injuries etc. The County Board wonder why attendances are down. Well the should take a look at the promotion the games are getting in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. Excellent post. We have fellas coming on with Kevin Casey on the day before our championship games and you just know by listening to them they have no research done and don't know half of the players involved with alot of the clubs. It badly needs to be shaken up,for gods sake we have to listen to Matt Keane sometimes bluffing his way through GAA topics and he supposed to be a soccer correspondent!. Are they afraid of a phone in segment before and after games for fear off what might be libelous? We seem to be fobbed off by them with coverage of games,commentated on by Kieran O Connor and a few post match thoughts from a few journalists that won't give an honest assessment as they are on a Waterford local station and do not want to offend.

Footballers with their 5th win on the Bounce #deiseforsam

0-14 to 0-10

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done to the footballers on a good start to the league tonight 0-14 to 0-10 win tonight over Wicklow. good follow up to the McGrath Cup win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

as i have been saying all along waterford football is strong , definitely big promotion contenders hopefully the support gathers too , wicklow missed out on promotion by 1 point last year and are no bad side i would have ye ahead of antrim and offaly at the moment in the race for promotion too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

well done too mcglinchey and players, excellent start to the season

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Another good display tonight, that's five wins on the trot....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

If anybody has the eastern JHC groups could they post them please.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

If anybody has the eastern JHC groups could they post them please.

Junior 'A' Hurling - East - One Group
    Ballyduff Lower, Bonmahon, Ballygunner, Mount Sion, Roanmore, Ballydurn, Fenor, Clonea, Passage.

East Waterford Junior 'B' Hurling Championship - one group.
    Ballyduff Lower, De La Salle, Erin's Own, Portlaw, Saint Saviours, Butlerstown, Dunhill, Ferrybank, Saint Mollerans.

Taken from Twitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Slobbery wrote: »
    well done too mcglinchey and players, excellent start to the season

Congratulations well done delighted for waterford football and mcglinchey

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good win for the footballers can see us getting promotion dis year. Tipp had a good win against Armagh so they will be tough come championship time

We're one of the a few teams to be unbeaten in 2015 possibly the only team

We could easily transition from being a hurling county to a football county

We have a minor football team that could win Munster and our seniors could get far in the championship

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Good win for the footballers can see us getting promotion dis year. Tipp had a good win against Armagh so they will be tough come championship time

We're one of the a few teams to be unbeaten in 2015 possibly the

Tipp lost to Armagh by a point. But I agree with the rest of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Tipp lost to Armagh by a point. But I agree with the rest of that.

We are not suddenly going to become a football county because we won a few games on the trot. Seriously out of all the teams we played the only one we should not have been expecting to beat was cork. Little bit of reality check needed here

We are not suddenly going to become a football county because we won a few games on the trot. Seriously out of all the teams we played the only one we should not have been expecting to beat was cork. Little bit of reality check needed here

What are you talking about? What reality check? Why wouldn't they have realistic aspirations for promotion?

Nobody said anything about becoming a football County, but it's great to see lads that put a big effort in making good strides even if it is very early in the year. Think they deserve encouragement, rather than to be sniped at for no good reason.

What are you talking about? What reality check? Why wouldn't they have realistic aspirations for promotion?

Nobody said anything about becoming a football County, but it's great to see lads that put a big effort in making good strides even if it is very early in the year. Think they deserve encouragement, rather than to be sniped at for no good reason.

PTH said we could easily transition into being a football county. And your post said you agree with all of that. That's all I'm disagreeing with. Otherwise I'm as happy as anyone to see the footballers make the progress I always believed they were capable of

• Advertisement

PTH said we could easily transition into being a football county. And your post said you agree with all of that. That's all I'm disagreeing with. Otherwise I'm as happy as anyone to see the footballers make the progress I always believed they were capable of

Sorry, he must have edited while I was posting mine. I didn't cut his post, so what I quoted was all that I saw in his post.

I don't agree that we could easily transition into a football county at all, hurling will always come first. We can fare better in football though, and I do think they deserve more support than they get and particularly at underage from a resource perspective but it's good to see a serious campaign this year at minor level at least.

Having seen the budgets both County teams had (and it's a brief overview to be fair) I would wonder was Niall Carew trying to deflect a bit last year from a poor campaign by bemoaning the budget that didn't seem to be that far behind the hurlers at the end of the day.

Sorry, he must have edited while I was posting mine. I didn't cut his post,belt at co. Board levewhat I quoted was all that I saw in his post.

I don't agree that we could easily transition into a football county at all, hurling will always come first. We can fare better in football though, and I do think they deserve more support than they get and particularly at underage from a resource perspective but it's good to see a serious campaign this year at minor level at least.

Having seen the budgets both County teams had (and it's a brief overview to be fair) I would wonder was Niall Carew trying to deflect a bit last year from a poor campaign by bemoaning the budget that didn't seem to be that far behind the hurlers at the end of the day.

That's fair enough its just PTH has a habit of coming out with silly statements so I paid no heed but wouldve been surprised if youd have agreed with that.

Just on the footballers credit where its due its great to see them on a bit of a roll but they really need to kick on now and seriously challenge for division 4. Over the years we constantly seem to always take 2 steps backwards for every step forward. The same under Owens, Carew and even Jackson. One productive season followed by a poor one. I don't know why that is. Id be inclined to agree about Carew I thought he came across very negative in a lot of interviews and don't think he really had the belief and desire to carry Waterford football forward when it came down to it and that has been the age old problem in Waterford. He knew well what he was taking on before he took the job.
    Ive always beleived the footballers are in Waterford but its the attitude towards the co team that holds us back. Everyone is guilty of it from co board to players to supporters. For many years we were ranked second worse team in the country only to KK when we are a county with a very healthy club football championship with 3 or 4 clubs who would challenge in any other county championship in the countr a lot of genuine traditional football clubs aswell. There is no reason for us to be as low as we've been.

I know a lot of the above is stated here quite a lot but that is the reason I think we shouldn't get too carried away with the games we are winning. We are only winning games that we should be capable of winning when you think of it. (I'm not saying you were by the way). Its good to see a guy like mcglinchey come in with fresh impetus and instil a bit of belief which imo opinion had been lost a bit under carew last season. But a couple of bad defeats in the league is all it takes and were slipping back into our old ways again so hopefully people will continue to get behind the lads and see where it takes us

Yeah I'd agree 100% with all that. To me it's confidence, they seem to rail on their heels every time they get a defeat. Completely knocks the stuffing out of them. I think maybe there's a bit more leadership their this year and some quality young lads coming through to give the older lads a boost and some focus. Michael O Halloran sounds like he had an excellent game yesterday.

They're joint top today with Offaly who had a much easier game in London (albeit we've fallen in that bear pit a couple of times) but with all the rest of the promotion rivals dropping points you are right saying there shouldn't be any excuses and they have a great chance to push on now. Here's hoping they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That's fair enough its just PTH has a habit of coming out with silly statements so I paid no heed but wouldve been surprised if youd have agreed with that.

Just on the footballers credit where its due its great to see them on a bit of a roll but they really need to kick on now and seriously challenge for division 4. Over the years we constantly seem to always take 2 steps backwards for every step forward. The same under Owens, Carew and even Jackson. One productive season followed by a poor one. I don't know why that is. Id be inclined to agree about Carew I thought he came across very negative in a lot of interviews and don't think he really had the belief and desire to carry Waterford football forward when it came down to it and that has been the age old problem in Waterford. He knew well what he was taking on before he took the job.
    Ive always beleived the footballers are in Waterford but its the attitude towards the co team that holds us back. Everyone is guilty of it from co board to players to supporters. For many years we were ranked second worse team in the country only to KK when we are a county with a very healthy club football championship with 3 or 4 clubs who would challenge in any other county championship in the countr a lot of genuine traditional football clubs aswell. There is no reason for us to be as low as we've been.

I know a lot of the above is stated here quite a lot but that is the reason I think we shouldn't get too carried away with the games we are winning. We are only winning games that we should be capable of winning when you think of it. (I'm not saying you were by the way). Its good to see a guy like mcglinchey come in with fresh impetus and instil a bit of belief which imo opinion had been lost a bit under carew last season. But a couple of bad defeats in the league is all it takes and were slipping back into our old ways again so hopefully people will continue to get behind the lads and see where it takes us

thats all any team can do is win the games they are capable of wining , i believe waterford could be comfortable division 3 team and on there day beat tipp in the first round of the munster football championship , i also think they are better then 2/3rds of the teams in lenister at the moment most of which are football only counties

i got shot down last year for suggesting most of above on this thread at the time because people felt it would only get in the way of hurling,

in fairness we are all hurling counties in munster but there is no reason why we cant put it up several of the so called football counties , i do agree with the stuff about carew , the only time he didnt look negitave in his waterford role was when that bet came off ,that was on the back page of the star that won him somthing like 1oo ooo quid last year

also everything you said about the clubs attitude towards the intercounty set up and the hit and miss results would be a fair reflection on clare football 2 years ago, if people get behind the footballers there is no doubt ye will catch up to the likes of ourselves and tipp ye are not that far behind as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

As much as I'd like to reencounter the pervious months where various people on this forum said we would never have a chance in football and slated the footballers I won't bother bringing it :D yes the footballers worked great today I personally didn't think they had it in them to beat UCC the reigning sigersons champions, seeing as people always say the sigersons champions should be able to beat any of the top 6 football counties on anyday it was a great result and so was today. However the chance to be a strong football county isn't that far in the horizon, if they gain promotion McGlinchey will be a happy man. I don't really think there's much in Munster just letting the lads express themselfs and hope to get the Munster semis and if they got to the 3rd/4th round qualifiers it would be a stellar year. Then McGlinchey would need to avoid 2nd year syndrome. And maintain Division 3 for a number of year. And I'll answer the question why remain division 3? Simply because Then McGlinchey is basically waiting for the cavalry to arrive from the current and past minors. People say Waterford football goes nowhere but an actually system has been established where the teams have not been thrown together which is what Waterford lacked of the years, especially at underage, Curran last year and Lenehan this year have established this. And the current minor team should be in the Munster final come the first week in July. Which would be a first every quarter final appears also. Personally I don't really know the minor hurlers panel that well cause I don't know many standout names than Lyons and Prunty and Sully but I know a good bit about the minor footballers, I have seen people before me comment on the minors and what they think they'll look like and I say Lenehan won't go far in changing this squad, maybe 13 of this 15 will start but I will hope there will be no negative responses like last time someone posted a suggested team for the minor hurlers or footballers

1) Kevin Dwane (Balinacourty)
    2) Gavin O' Brien (Gaultier)
    3) Darren McGuckian (Stradbally)
    4) Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers)
    5) Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    6) John Elsted (Balinacourty)
    7) Michael Phelan (Balinameela)
    8) Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers)
    9) Conor Prunty (Balinacourty)
    10) Michael Sweeney (Stradbally)
    11) Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
    12) Dylan Guiry (The Nire)
    13) Dean Kearns (Gaultier)
    14) David Looby (Balinacourty)
    15) Seanie Whyte (Del La Salle)

Not sure about 15's club but I think there is talent in this east and saw it at a few u17 games, and the u17's Munster is nothing to go off it didn't include half the proper team, now only I think 4 are on the hurlers of my starting team compared to last year where 12 were on the starting footballers. I ain't sure if the minor footballers are cut yet but I say most people will agree you'd be able to pick your 15 from last years extended panels and the u17 team. And I say Lenehan will be thinking of a team not far from that by this stage.

If Ger Power Combines this minor team with last years minors, which consisted of Jack Guiry, Conor Gleeson, Kieran O' Neill, Jack Mullaney, Michael Cronin, Joe Allen, Edmond O Halloran, Michael Shine and the almighty Cormac Curran (probably too busy with ye auld hurling), with this years minor team and give them three years working together there is no reason why munsters and an all Ireland isn't beyond reach with that talent, don't think anyone on here could say it ain't possible with that talent, Roscommon showed it at u-21 Tipperary done it at Minors, winning and competing all Ireland's and forgetting about the colour of your jersey and just going out playing football, something McGlinchey is implementing, ignoring the colour of your jersey, taking your man-to-man, getting behind the ball and turning it over and sending in direct balls. I even think Waterford did it I. 2003 with the u21's three years together and they win a munster. Hopefully Lenehan and his team prove my point cause I know they'll be thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'll believe Waterford have truly arrived when they beat London.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

PTH2009 wrote: »

We're one of the a few teams to be unbeaten in 2015 possibly the only team

We could easily transition from being a hurling county to a football county

We have a minor football team that could win Munster and our seniors could get far in the championship
    Lol. Presumably you have put on a bet that Waterford will win Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

As much as I'd like to reencounter the pervious months where various people on this forum said we would never have a chance in football and slated the footballers I won't bother bringing it :D yes the footballers worked great today I personally didn't think they had it in them to beat UCC the reigning sigersons champions, seeing as people always say the sigersons champions should be able to beat any of the top 6 football counties on anyday it was a great result and so was today. However the chance to be a strong football county isn't that far in the horizon, if they gain promotion McGlinchey will be a happy man. I don't really think there's much in Munster just letting the lads express themselfs and hope to get the Munster semis and if they got to the 3rd/4th round qualifiers it would be a stellar year. Then McGlinchey would need to avoid 2nd year syndrome. And maintain Division 3 for a number of year. And I'll answer the question why remain division 3? Simply because Then McGlinchey is basically waiting for the cavalry to arrive from the current and past minors. People say Waterford football goes nowhere but an actually system has been established where the teams have not been thrown together which is what Waterford lacked of the years, especially at underage, Curran last year and Lenehan this year have established this. And the current minor team should be in the Munster final come the first week in July. Which would be a first every quarter final appears also. Personally I don't really know the minor hurlers panel that well cause I don't know many standout names than Lyons and Prunty and Sully but I know a good bit about the minor footballers, I have seen people before me comment on the minors and what they think they'll look like and I say Lenehan won't go far in changing this squad, maybe 13 of this 15 will start but I will hope there will be no negative responses like last time someone posted a suggested team for the minor hurlers or footballers

1) Kevin Dwane (Balinacourty)
    2) Gavin O' Brien (Gaultier)
    3) Darren McGuckian (Stradbally)
    4) Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers)
    5) Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    6) John Elsted (Balinacourty)
    7) Michael Phelan (Balinameela)
    8) Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers)
    9) Conor Prunty (Balinacourty)
    10) Michael Sweeney (Stradbally)
    11) Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
    12) Dylan Guiry (The Nire)
    13) Dean Kearns (Gaultier)
    14) David Looby (Balinacourty)
    15) Seanie Whyte (Del La Salle)

Not sure about 15's club but I think there is talent in this east and saw it at a few u17 games, and the u17's Munster is nothing to go off it didn't include half the proper team, now only I think 4 are on the hurlers of my starting team compared to last year where 12 were on the starting footballers. I ain't sure if the minor footballers are cut yet but I say most people will agree you'd be able to pick your 15 from last years extended panels and the u17 team. And I say Lenehan will be thinking of a team not far from that by this stage.

If Ger Power Combines this minor team with last years minors, which consisted of Jack Guiry, Conor Gleeson, Kieran O' Neill, Jack Mullaney, Michael Cronin, Joe Allen, Edmond O Halloran, Michael Shine and the almighty Cormac Curran (probably too busy with ye auld hurling), with this years minor team and give them three years working together there is no reason why munsters and an all Ireland isn't beyond reach with that talent, don't think anyone on here could say it ain't possible with that talent, Roscommon showed it at u-21 Tipperary done it at Minors, winning and competing all Ireland's and forgetting about the colour of your jersey and just going out playing football, something McGlinchey is implementing, ignoring the colour of your jersey, taking your man-to-man, getting behind the ball and turning it over and sending in direct balls. I even think Waterford did it I. 2003 with the u21's three years together and they win a munster. Hopefully Lenehan and his team prove my point cause I know they'll be thinking the same.
    Superb win v wicklow congrats

I must say huge respect for your posts and utmost respect as you really do try raise profile county footballer and one few here put such passion I'm to it

Waterford winning last week and this week I'm delighted for grass roots fan like yourself

As regards negative comments post asway lad negative comments are probably from those that don't have your indepth knowledge waterford from under age up

Brilliant reading as always

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

As much as I'd like to reencounter the pervious months where various people on this forum said we would never have a chance in football and slated the footballers I won't bother bringing it :D yes the footballers worked great today I personally didn't think they had it in them to beat UCC the reigning sigersons champions, seeing as people always say the sigersons champions should be able to beat any of the top 6 football counties on anyday it was a great result and so was today.

Have to pull you on this I'm afraid. It was a decent result to beat UCC but the team UCC played in that game was a complete B team because they had their first round of Sigerson the following Tuesday.

Of the 15 who started for UCC against ITT the week previously 1 started against Waterford and he was taken off at half-time.

Of the 15 who started for UCC against Waterford 1 started against CIT.

It was a good result for Waterford getting the result against UCC but it was no-where near a first-choice UCC team and would be more accurately described as a B team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Regarding the UCC game Boom Boom is right, it was effectively a UCC B team populated with lots of good underage talent from Cork and Kerry. Waterford closed out as 12 points winners and played a really good brand of football with excellent rotation from front to back and vis a versa. I have been to a number of the footballers games over the last 3 years (3 or 4 per year) So far this year I have gone to the UCC and Wicklow games. Its amazing what a bit of confidence does for a team. The performances over the last 3 weeks have been really encouraging. With the possible addition of Shane Walsh and Paul Whyte getting back to fitness the team is likely to get stronger. The game against Offaly on Sunday will tell a good deal as they are a team who will expect to beat us and had a win themselves over the weekend.

The Hurling on Friday night was also a bit better and while lucky to win, in many ways we finally looked like we had a plan. Brick at FF was excellent at getting on the ball (I don't remember Paul Curran winning one ball off him) and there was excellent support running by Brian O Halloran & Donie B to feed off him. The early ball and support from deep led to 4 clear chances of goals in the first half (as in the clare game a 6 weeks ago) Tommy Connors looked ill and was way off the pace. Jamie Barron at midfield looked really sharp,T de Burke was majestic at CB. Kevin Moran swung over some great scores which was also encouraging. Shane Bennett played well in the second half and will push hard for a starting spot. I think we'll have trouble keeping 15 on the pitch if we continue with our current FB (unless he calms down) but good to see Dara Fives back and I hope he gets the number 3 jersey for the league. Right now I hope the team will look something like this come saturday week

Iggy, FB line of Shane Fives, Dara F and Noel,
    HB line of Aussie, T de B and Philip Mahony ,
    Jamie +Donie B (SOS poor on Friday)
    , Moran, Paudie Mahony + Tom Devine
    Brian O Halloran,Brick, Shane Bennett,
    but I expect Barry Coughlin to be FB, SoS to replace Donie B.

It was the first time in 18 months I felt a little bit of hope for the Hurlers, it made for a nice change

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement