Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

-Leelo- wrote: »
    Admittedly I don't live there anymore, I'm in Saggart now and love it here but if it came to it and I had to move back to Jobstown it wouldn't bother me. I keep to myself anyway. I can understand people saying it's a kip, because it is dirty, anyone can see that. It's when people make personal judgements that it bothers me, being raised in Dublin 24 does not make you any less of a person raised in Dublin 4. It's a shame a few knackers gave the place a bad name really.

Yeah where I live now the cop shop closes at 11pm.If it ever opens after that I'll know theres trouble in the area:pac: BTW saggart is grand and only spitting distance from tallaght ,handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

I go to college there and haven't had any major trouble ever. Granted there's an above average level of knacks hanging around they're for the most part harmless. I've drank in the metro plenty and have always enjoyed my time there!

Although I did have a few sketchy moments walking through tymon park with a crate of booze though. I was a fresher and only in college two weeks, I didn't know any better. Luckily enough the youths following me pissed off when I threatened to "bleedin blade 'em"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 orangehat

Does anybody know banana from tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

orangehat wrote: »

Does he hang around with Rasher Skinner and Basher?

Who me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    I go to college there and haven't had any major trouble ever. Granted there's an above average level of knacks hanging around they're for the most part harmless.

+ 1, pretty much.

Some areas in Tallaght are pretty decent, other parts are fairly dodgy ...Essentially the same as every other town in Dublin.

I feel sorry for the many decent people who live in Tallaght who are faced with generalisations about where they live and what sort of people they are on a regular basis. A lot of the time, it's based on fear mongering in the press.

Sprouts wrote: »
    Does he hang around with Rasher Skinner and Basher?

not sure who he hangs around with, spent some time in the joy with him, gas man he was

not sure who he hangs around with, spent some time in the joy with him, gas man he was

Wasn't me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

+ 1, pretty much.

Some areas in Tallaght are pretty decent, other parts are fairly dodgy ...Essentially the same as every other town in Dublin.

I feel sorry for the many decent people who live in Tallaght who are faced with generalisations about where they live and what sort of people they are on a regular basis. A lot of the time, it's based on fear mongering in the press.

haha, im not tryin to slag ya, but i noticed you're from D6W. When I was living there I found out all about why it was changed from D6W instead of D24!

Just think, you could be living in Tallaghts area code now if it wasnt for that!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

well, I think pretty dirty...so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

To say Tallaght is a kip is ridiculous. To say some parts of it are well dodgy is understandable.

Most of west Tallaght and Tymon North are iffy. East and south Tallaght into Firhouse (which is part of Tallaght but lets not open that can of worms) is generally quite nice.

To sum up; 77 bad, 77A good.

My brothers car was stolen recently, he lives in a nice area in Dublin, guards found the car abandoned in a field , it appears the driver got stuck in the mud post thaw, was very surprised to find after taking prints the guards came to the conclusion it was a young lad from Tallaght who had stolen it, very surprised indeed !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Old enough to remember when Tallaght was basically a village surrounded by fields stretching from the Dominican Priory down to Walkinstown roundabout and to the cemetery at Spawell.
    This was in the early 1970's.

Tallaght is a huge amalgam of different areas now with the likes of the original village, Old Bawn, Jobstown, Feathercairn, Killinardin.......etc all categorised today as "Tallaght".

The majority of Talllaght is fine, populated with ordinary decent people.

hinault wrote: »
    Old enough to remember when Tallaght was basically a village surrounded by fields stretching from the Dominican Priory down to Walkinstown roundabout and to the cemetery at Spawell.
    This was in the early 1970's.

Tallaght is a huge amalgam of different areas now with the likes of the original village, Old Bawn, Jobstown, Feathercairn, Killinardin.......etc all categorised today as "Tallaght".

The majority of Talllaght is fine, populated with ordinary decent people.

Kilnamanagh and belgard are fine places to live and houses are not cheap there either.My mate bought a house in Kilnamanagh for 65k back in the day and we all slagged him about it "200 quid a month in mortgage payments ,you're off your head" funny how things turn out:D

hinault wrote: »
    ordinary decent

criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Kilnamanagh and belgard are fine places to live and houses are not cheap there either.My mate bought a house in Kilnamanagh for 65k back in the day and we all slagged him about it "200 quid a month in mortgage payments ,you're off your head" funny how things turn out:D

Kilnamanagh and Belgard are grand - as are places like Old Bawn.
    They're mature areas with a good mix of people from different backgrounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

meh most places in dublin have had a bad name at one stage or another, i think part of the problem with tallaght is when it was originally built there was nothing but fields out there so the teenagers had sod all to do, i know thats not the case now but lets be honest Irish people have memories like bloody elephants.

I used to date a guy from tallaght and never had any trouble, tho i did notice the pj's as day wear brigade seem to have infested the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

It's the same as Finglas. I've lived here most of my life except for a good few years in the US and i've never had any problems. And i lived in the south for a lot of the years i lived here before moving to another part. Yeah a lot of shít has happened here but people outside the place make it seem like they're gonna catch a bullet as soon as they cross over the line.

My bf moved from jobstown to finglas 13years ago gives me hours of entertainment winding him up:D having said that id feel safer walking from the bus stop to his house at night on my own then i would waiting for a bus at the dart station in bray in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Tallaght is ok i think. I agree with those who say its like anywhere else in Ireland: It has its good and bad points. And personally, I dont think that just because an area has higher house prices etc, means your not going to be living in a trouble free area or that its any better than less affluent areas. I think trouble in those so-called affluent places its just not reported in the media as much as it is in places like Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

KungPao wrote: »
    To

To sum up; 77 bad, 77A good.

77A goes through tymon north doesnt it? Its been years since i was on that bus but i always prefered getting the 77 to the square because it wouldnt go past it, usually because of people throwing stuff at it, so no one bothered getting it. 77A was a nightmare and you could forget about sitting upstairs on the nitelink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

77A goes through tymon north doesnt it? Its been years since i was on that bus but i always prefered getting the 77 to the square because it wouldnt go past it, usually because of people throwing stuff at it, so no one bothered getting it. 77A was a nightmare and you could forget about sitting upstairs on the nitelink

It depends where you are coming from/going to. For you're going to the Square from Walkinstown for example, it makes sense to jump on the 77, more direct. The problem is the 77 continues after the Square deep into west Tallaght, so it can have a fair few head the balls on it.

The 77A does pass through Tymon North but then goes through Seskin view/Old Bawn road (quite nice areas) and it terminates at the Square.

It's a fairly safe trip...but I wouldn't get the nitelink!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I have my doubts the the OP is from tallaght...he didn't even call it tallafornia.

You just stereotyped me, I'm a girl.
    Tallaght reminds me of Slough.

OP, have you ever neen to Jobstown?

I lived in Jobstown for seven years. It was a great place to live, I knew everybody and I had the biggest garden on my road :D

To add more cool stuff about Tallaght: we have the second largest housing estate in Europe (Kilnamanagh) and we have the busiest Domino's Pizza in the world.

And no, I don't stereotype people from where they are from because I'm sick of people doing it to me. Don't do unto others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    Don't do unto others...

If only the rest of tallaght lived by that creed there'd be a lot less crime!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I lived in Jobstown for seven years. It was a great place to live, I knew everybody and I had the biggest garden on my road :D

To add more cool stuff about Tallaght: we have the second largest housing estate in Europe (Kilnamanagh) and we have the busiest Domino's Pizza in the world.

And no, I don't stereotype people from where they are from because I'm sick of people doing it to me. Don't do unto others...

I have to agree in part. I know a few great lads from Tallagh. But I also know a few very shift characters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why is that cool? It's huge housing estates with minimal facilties that cause a lot of the social problems associated with parts of Tallaght!

I'm also from Tallaght and have experienced the 'look' you get from some people when they find out where you're from. Doesn't bother me TBH, some parts of Tallaght are pretty rough in fairness. Unfortunately it's these areas that get all the publicity so I don't blame people for having misconceptions about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why is that cool? It's huge housing estates with minimal facilties that cause a lot of the social problems associated with parts of Tallaght!

I would say Kilnamanagh has decent facilities and is not one of the areas associated with the social problems of Tallaght. There is a large community centre there and well supervised kids Disco. Lots of green areas for football etc... The fact that it's one of the biggest in Europe and it's mostly council housing (I think) and it's a nice place to live is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

ceadaoin. wrote: »

I'm also from Tallaght and have experienced the 'look' you get from some people when they find out where you're from. Doesn't bother me TBH, some parts of Tallaght are pretty rough in fairness. Unfortunately it's these areas that get all the publicity so I don't blame people for having misconceptions about it

It has a shopping centre, dentist, doctor surgery, elderly facilities, etc. Is that not enough for you?

NothingMan wrote: »
    I would say Kilnamanagh has decent facilities and is not one of the areas associated with the social problems of Tallaght. There is a large community centre there and well supervised kids Disco. Lots of green areas for football etc... The fact that it's one of the biggest in Europe and it's mostly council housing (I think) and it's a nice place to live is cool.

I wasn't aware of that and no one I know that lives there would be aware of that either ,I don't think there are any council houses in Kilnamanagh tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

NothingMan wrote: »

Yeah Kilnamanagh is one of the better areas I would say (I thought it was mostly private housing, not sure though). I just meant in general that large housing estates seem to breed these kind of problems, so having one the largest in Europe in your area isn't really cool.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, its the largest private housing estate in Europe. Although there isn't a citation for that, so might not be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It has a shopping centre, dentist, doctor surgery, elderly facilities, etc. Is that not enough for you?

dont forget the primary school, and the creche, as well as the astro park pitch, and the soccer pitches and the GAA pitches. then theres the Pub (with late bar, off licence, bookies) and then theres the Tallaght Youth Theatre beside it as well.

Its also right beside the LUAS, and 3 bus routes (4 if u count the 56A), not to mention being right beside Tymon Park which is a really nice place, with its own Gaeltacht school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement