Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IEC 2014 Stage 2 Thread - All Stage 2 questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brokenghost

FOLKS WHO MADE IT TO CANADA!

How are ye getting on? Do ye have any advice for people heading over soon?

I'm thinking of heading to Calgary, any pointers etc would be hugely appreciated.

How did the job hunt go? Did ye get something fairly quick?

Cheers,

Bg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TYBG

Hey, I forgot my cic password and had to reset it. I have tried many times to link my account to my prevoius application but it is not matching. I have my POE but cannot access it as I cannot access my application. Is there a contact email/number/anything to help me? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

TYBG wrote: »
    Hey, I forgot my cic password and had to reset it. I have tried many times to link my account to my prevoius application but it is not matching. I have my POE but cannot access it as I cannot access my application. Is there a contact email/number/anything to help me? Cheers

follow this link and theres a highlighted contact form near the bottom aswell:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=932&t=25

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TYBG

I'm after getting sorted! Emailed the Question address on CIC website with details of my application and they got back to me. Was able to link to my original application. Thanks anyway SupraSonic_26

Cool no probs least you got it sorted i know they can be a nightmare to deal with sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 NinetyOne

Hello all , hope everyone is getting on well saving/planning etc!

Have a POE that is valid until this June , but have since decided to take a post grad instead of emigrating. I was wondering would it be possible for me to reapply for IEC in maybe two years time or would there be an issue with that seeing as I won't be using the visa this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

NinetyOne wrote: »

Have a POE that is valid until this June , but have since decided to take a post grad instead of emigrating. I was wondering would it be possible for me to reapply for IEC in maybe two years time or would there be an issue with that seeing as I won't be using the visa this time?

Asked this question a few weeks back too.

Unfortunately, if you have received your LOI (Letter of Introduction) then this counts as participation in the IEC program and renders you ineligible for future participation, even if you have not entered Canada to activate the visa. I asked CIC themselves about this and they confirmed that it is only possible to re-apply if your country allows multiple participations - those countries who are granted a one year visa with the option of a one year extension. This used to be the case for Ireland, but we are now granted the two year visa on day one and, as a result, are ineligible to re-apply for the same visa once we participate.

You do, however, have other options under the young professional route or under the federal skilled worker program. These are a little harder to get, but not impossible for someone with a Level 9 education (which you will have). The only sticking point with the federal program is the requirement for experience in a listed profession where Canada is short on qualified candidates and a job offer (this is not a requirement, but adds to your points total when being assessed for eligibility). The plus side of the FSW program is that it is a permanent residency.

Hope this helps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

NinetyOne wrote: »

I'm in a similar-ish position, have the visa but haven't been able to save enough to be able to get over there. Then before xmas I got offered a very good job giving me good experience in my field. I don;t want to quit the job and dont want to lose the visa either so I'm going to go on a holiday for a week or two before the year is up. Then next year when I have some more experience I'm going to go over for a year.

billyduk's post was exactly the answer I was wondering about but had not yet asked/looked into, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

So intending to book flights for the 20th of March from Heathrow to Tornoto for 2 days, so I can collect my permit. (My POE expires on April 1st, so need to get permit before expiry - also, I'm working in London the week of 23rd, so it's handy for me)

[I still intend to relocate to Canada soon, but can't right now due to personal circumstance and don't want to miss the final chance date for collection!]

Some quick checks:
    - Arrive in Toronto
    - Have POE
    - Have proof of funds
    - Have proof of 2 year insurance

Obtain permit from immigration, check out the city for 2 nights, return to London, take comfort in the knowledge I can live & work in Canada for 24 months, correct?

I wanna make sure I've got my sh*t together before I book my travel!

Thanks.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

GrumPy wrote: »
    So intending to book flights for the 20th of March from Heathrow to Tornoto for 2 days, so I can collect my permit. (My POE expires on April 1st, so need to get permit before expiry - also, I'm working in London the week of 23rd, so it's handy for me)

[I still intend to relocate to Canada soon, but can't right now due to personal circumstance and don't want to miss the final chance date for collection!]

Some quick checks:
    - Arrive in Toronto
    - Have POE
    - Have proof of funds
    - Have proof of 2 year insurance

Obtain permit from immigration, check out the city for 2 nights, return to London, take comfort in the knowledge I can live & work in Canada for 24 months, correct?

I wanna make sure I've got my sh*t together before I book my travel!

Thanks.
    :)

Sounds correct! Good luck buddy :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Do you have to apply for your SIN to get your visa stamp after showing them your POE, or do you apply for that AFTER you are given entry and when you intend to start working? I ask this question, because I am going over on a short activation trip before heading back in the summer for good, and I just wanted to know whether I'd have to apply for my SIN on the activation trip or whether it can wait until I go back for good.

Thanks for any help in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

You get your visa at the airport when you show your POE. To get the SIN number you go to a Service Canada Centre with your visa, passport, address etc.

Hi,

Flying out March 20th, returning early March 23rd - Have POE (expires on April 1st) ready and showing a fresh bank statement with min 2,500 Canadian dollars won't be an issue.

However, since I'm only travelling for the weekend, is normal travel insurance adequate? I don't want to shell out for 2 years, which will expire if I leave Canada for more than 30 days AFAIK... - I know there is a 14 day cooling off window with some policies and you can cancel it, but I'd rather not chase the insurance company for weeks to try and get my money back afterwards.

Anyone with experience or knows someone who popped over purely to collect their paperwork, let me know!

Thanks!

Hi,

Flying out March 20th, returning early March 23rd - Have POE (expires on April 1st) ready and showing a fresh bank statement with min 2,500 Canadian dollars won't be an issue.

However, since I'm only travelling for the weekend, is normal travel insurance adequate? I don't want to shell out for 2 years, which will expire if I leave Canada for more than 30 days AFAIK... - I know there is a 14 day cooling off window with some policies and you can cancel it, but I'd rather not chase the insurance company for weeks to try and get my money back afterwards.

Anyone with experience or knows someone who popped over purely to collect their paperwork, let me know!

Thanks!

as far as i know you have to have insurance covering when you enter to the end of your visa otheriwse they wont accept it.

as far as i know you have to have insurance covering when you enter to the end of your visa otheriwse they wont accept it.

What are the current best deals? €350 seems to be about average at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

I found USIT's flights + insurance deal decent enough (if you don't mind multiple stopovers...). €741 for the flight and 2 years insurance with winter sports cover,

What are the current best deals? €350 seems to be about average at the moment.

i shopped around usits one for 350 seems to be the best and cover wise im going with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

AmyPL wrote: »
    I found USIT's flights + insurance deal decent enough (if you don't mind multiple stopovers...). €741 for the flight and 2 years insurance with winter sports cover,

Their insurance is decent (and tailored for IEC) but you can only book flights with airlines they have agreements with.
    The flights ended up costing me a lot more, and had to fly to Toronto instead of Vancouver because of how restrictive USIT's flight deals are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

face1990 wrote: »
    Their insurance is decent (and tailored for IEC) but you can only book flights with airlines they have agreements with.
    The flights ended up costing me a lot more, and had to fly to Toronto instead of Vancouver because of how restrictive USIT's flight deals are.

Yeah, Delta are the airline they have an agreement with. Like I said, two stopovers isn't great but they're getting me all the way to Vancouver for a decent price so I won't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annick

What do people think of Go for less insurance? 305 for 2 years, tailored to the IEC, 4 2week trips home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kinolove

Worried about cutting it too fine here!

My POE expires April 16th and my work made me give 8 weeks notice so I won't go to canada until a few days before. Hope it all goes smoothly....

Just need to get insurance then I'm sorted

Plus money in account

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

Does anyone know if insurance is checked if you return to Canada after initially getting your IEC Visa. To explain: I'm flying in next Thursday, getting my IEC Visa, and spending a week, before flying home again for 2 months to finish a contract on a job Im doing. On my return again, will I be asked again for insurance or will the passport control just see I already have the Visa and stamp me through?

I think my insurance is single use only....hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

Does anyone know if insurance is checked if you return to Canada after initially getting your IEC Visa. To explain: I'm flying in next Thursday, with insurance etc, getting my IEC Visa, and spending a week, before flying home again for 2 months to finish a contract on a job Im doing. On my return again, will I be asked again for insurance or will the passport control just see I already have the Visa and stamp me through?

I think my insurance is single trip only....hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kierc2014

Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't ask on facebook because the wrong people will see it. Myself and my girlfriend applied for the working holiday 2014 visa and got in the quota, we had uploaded most of our documents and my dad got sick so we decided to pull out both our visas as we weren't sure if we would be able to go in time. Now we are thinking about going in the next while again and just wondering if applying before could affect us. I have also seen that people are still getting offered places on the 2014 visa. I wonder is is possible to reactivate the applications? Thanks for any help.

kierc2014 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't ask on facebook because the wrong people will see it. Myself and my girlfriend applied for the working holiday 2014 visa and got in the quota, we had uploaded most of our documents and my dad got sick so we decided to pull out both our visas as we weren't sure if we would be able to go in time. Now we are thinking about going in the next while again and just wondering if applying before could affect us. I have also seen that people are still getting offered places on the 2014 visa. I wonder is is possible to reactivate the applications? Thanks for any help.

Did you get a POE (the very last stage)? If you did then no.

If you just got the CAL, or started the MyCIC then you can reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kierc2014

No we didn't get our POE, just got the CAL. So you think we can just reapply for the 2014 visa??

kierc2014 wrote: »
    No we didn't get our POE, just got the CAL. So you think we can just reapply for the 2014 visa??

Yeah that's fine :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ShaneC_1988

How do you prove funds? I don't have a full postal statement, but would an e-statement, one of those ****ty yokes you can print in a branch, do the trick? I don't know if that has your name on it though does it?

How do you prove funds? I don't have a full postal statement, but would an e-statement, one of those ****e yokes you can print in a branch, do the trick? I don't know if that has your name on it though does it?

• Advertisement

How do you prove funds? I don't have a full postal statement, but would an e-statement, one of those yokes you can print in a branch, do the trick? I don't know if that has your name on it though does it?

Advertisement