Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Been here almost 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gillytots87

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of info, myself and my BF are moving to Calgary on September 3rd (travelling first then arriving in Calgary) I have read up a lot about landlords/rental agencies only renting to people on the 1st of every month, is this true? Or are they a bit flexible with this like can you pay the full months rent but move in say on the 7th of the month etc? If you cant this will be a big problem for us we only have accommodation for 7 nights so I am freaking out a bit,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gillytots87

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of info, myself and my BF are moving to Calgary on September 3rd (travelling first then arriving in Calgary) I have read up a lot about landlords/rental agencies only renting to people on the 1st of every month, is this true? Or are they a bit flexible with this like can you pay the full months rent but move in say on the 7th of the month etc? If you cant this will be a big problem for us we only have accommodation for 7 nights so I am freaking out a bit,

Hi everyone,

I dont see why they wouldn't let you move in, your paying a full months rent for less than a month. makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Beancounter 2013

It's true I'm afraid! Have a look on local property rental websites such as rentfaster.ca and you will see that a lot of properties are rented starting from 1st of the month. There are a number which are rented from say 14/15th month too. You will also find people looking for house shares on sites like kijiji and that might work for you either. The Irish in Calgary Facebook page often has people looking for accommodation/people to share too so that could be good for you. Also try airbnb for the short term too. Don't panic, you'll find somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Also anyone based in the NE know of a reasonable priced gym?

Gyms are very pricey here, i found for a years member ship i was able to fit out my basement with everything i would need from kijiji.

N.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hi all,

Anyone around for some beers at some stage?

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    Yup me for def

Where are ya based? I couldn't be more SW. I think I read earlier in thread you are NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Maybe me too if I'm around. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Hey guys,

Arriving in a couple of Months. However, getting a little concerned from people saying how Calgary is bit of bore when it comes to nightlife. Any opinions?

Don't drink that often myself (okay I do sometimes) but honestly, I'm a single man looking for friends and a good time on Saturday nights - the nightlife reports are not very encouraging :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Arriving in a couple of Months. However, getting a little concerned from people saying how Calgary is bit of bore when it comes to nightlife. Any opinions?

Don't drink that often myself (okay I do sometimes) but honestly, I'm a single man looking for friends and a good time on Saturday nights - the nightlife reports are not very encouraging :pac::pac:

It's true what you've heard. Nobody comes to Calgary for the nightlife.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 23 danbyrne88

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Downtown does be fairly dead but 17th avenue does be hopping!

Fair enough I haven't been here for a winter yet so during the winter it's probably a different story but currently 17th ave does be great on a saturday night.

Not the same atmosphere as say Dublin but its great for a night out.... it is what you make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Hi guys, just arrived here on Friday and liking it so far!
    Would be great to meet up with anyone in Calgary for a few beers,currently staying in downtown but willing to explore :)

in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Somewhere that does a decent Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

In 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Anyone know if the "Irish in Calgary" Facebook page is still there? I can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

yep it is indeed still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Yep it's still operating

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

im in the south east just beside the stampede grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

3rd Street South East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I lived there in the NW in 2006 and used to go to the Trap and Gill in the SW. It was quite the challenge finding a cab to get home again in brutally cold conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

mazi wrote: »
    Yep it's still operating

Is anyone on here a mod or a member of that page? I was blocked I think as I have just set up a Facebook page and don't have any friends on it yet. I'd really like to be able to get in contact with someone from the page but unfortunately I just can't see anything!

Advertisement