Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a bit of direction

• 18-07-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi people,

Never been to the gym before but am planning on starting in the next month. I am 18, 6 foot 4 and a half and weigh 12 stone 1 pound. I want to put up a stone in weight by next april maybe.
    So what I was wondering is that is this possible, and where should I start? Should I buy a tub of protein? If so what would ye recommend? Also what should I be doing in the gym? I don't want to get 'slow' and top heavy like some of the lads I play football with. I just want to put on a bit of weight so I can compete with the other lads and won't be thrown around the place. It's football that i'm playing by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

Hi people,

Never been to the gym before but am planning on starting in the next month. I am 18, 6 foot 4 and a half and weigh 12 stone 1 pound. I want to put up a stone in weight by next april maybe.
    So what I was wondering is that is this possible, and where should I start? Should I buy a tub of protein? If so what would ye recommend? Also what should I be doing in the gym? I don't want to get 'slow' and top heavy like some of the lads I play football with. I just want to put on a bit of weight so I can compete with the other lads and won't be thrown around the place. It's football that i'm playing by the way.

First thing i would advise would be to read the sticky in the fitness forum link. Some really good info there.

Secondly i would say to ask your coach, strength and conditioning is an integral part GAA now, and most teams have some sort of program for their players made out.

Failing the above i would take a look at Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book, and get from instruction from someone into how to do the exercises.

Advertisement