Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preparing MDF board for oil painting

Options
  • 03-12-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any advice on how to prepare MDF board for oil painting?
    Do you feel Woody's or any hardware place would cut a size for me?
    Anyone know if it's sold in art shops, I haven't seen it near me.
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Use white oil based undercoat on the MDF - just the common household stuff you buy in hardware shops will do fine. You can buy primer or gesso in Art supply shops but the undercoat works grand.

Woodies wont cut MDF but they sell it in small sheets of about 70cm x 90 cm .

If you want to cut it an ordinary handsaw will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Red Hare wrote: »
    Use white oil based undercoat on the MDF - just the common household stuff you buy in hardware shops will do fine. You can buy primer or gesso in Art supply shops but the undercoat works grand.

Woodies wont cut MDF but they sell it in small sheets of about 70cm x 90 cm .

If you want to cut it an ordinary handsaw will do the job.
    B&q will cut.
    ahand saw Will leave a terrible finish on mdf.

You can get sealant specifically for mdf, you don't want it to warp, but oil based all over will give the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

ditto - B&Q for cutting. And if you go to the cutting department they often pieces left around that they will cut & sell for less than the floor price.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

Thanks so much!!

Advertisement