Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there any 4g routers that take sim?

• 27-11-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Rather than plugging a mifi device into a router i would prefer a router in which you place the sim and configure the router alone. Do these exist?
    Any recommendations?

The main reason is that I need to do a lot of port forwarding to get my ps3 running smooth on the Psnetwork and I cant imagine having to do it both in modem and router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Huawei B593(22), look on amazon or ebay or www.3grouterstore.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What bodonnell said - highly recommend it.

Best thing about it, it has it's Ethernet ports, unlike them little mifi devices you get... of which I used to network my house through usage of Powerlines. And it's wifi range is pretty good too.

Works a treat.

Additionally, the reception of using the router is hell of a lot better than the mifi device - I made a post awhile ago, my speedtest differed from 6mbps to 40+mbps with just a simple router change, and this was without installing external antennas yet.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

bodonnell wrote: »
    Huawei B593(22), look on amazon or ebay or www.3grouterstore.co.uk

U can get this for €100 with meteor with a contract.

U can get this for €100 with meteor with a contract.

Their website may lead you to believe that, I ordered one & was sent the Huawei e5372 which I already had from when I signed up with them. At the time they charged me €199, they did not have them in stock & it took weeks to get refunded. There is a thread in the meteor 'talk to' section re this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Siadonun

So, if I get a three Prepay SIM Only it will use the data from it and it will work on this router ? Would I need to configure APN settings on the router ?

• Advertisement

Siadonun wrote: »
    So, if I get a three Prepay SIM Only it will use the data from it and it will work on this router ? Would I need to configure APN settings on the router ?
    Should work as long as the router is not locked to another network. I did not have to configure anything just pop the sim in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

The B593s-22 is very easy to unlock, just got mine from Three last week and unlocked it the day I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bakerlite

WillyFXP wrote: »
    The B593s-22 is very easy to unlock, just got mine from Three last week and unlocked it the day I got it.

What are the main advantages of unlocking (not including being able to change carrier) - any useful config options?

bakerlite wrote: »
    What are the main advantages of unlocking (not including being able to change carrier) - any useful config options?

It doesn't change the firmware, just removes the sim lock.

bakerlite wrote: »

Just debranded it today and put generic Huawei firmware on it, gives an extra VOIP configuration tab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement