Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could ask JK Rowling one question....

• 04-11-2005 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Bear in mind you'll want the answer to give away as much as possible.
    So what would it be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

Ant or Dec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Where do you hide the manuscript for the seventh book?
    And then: Would you mind sniffing this chloroform-soaked rag? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

What were you smoking!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Why the hell did you marry a Portugese man, screw up your life after college and drive yourself into the poverty trap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

wanna shag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd ask her why I seem to be the only one who has noticed she has ripped off many of her 'ideas' from a collection of famous childrens books and amalgamated them to create Harry Potter.

The Worst Witch * All of Roald Dahl's books * Tom Browns school days = Harry Potter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Not to mention the old Wizard in Harry Potter <who's name escapes me> bears a very close resemblance to a Merlin/Gandalf hybrid!!

To be honest, most old wizard chaps can be said to be a Merlin ripoff, Gandalf included. Hell, almost all of Tolkien is ripped from Old English legends and the like, his only innovation was creating a new world for them to inhabit.

For fecks sake do people not realise that just because there are similarities between two areas of literature dosen't mean one "ripped" from the other. Writers borrow used ideas all the time and put their own twist on it. For example take any play Shakespeare ever wrote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Good writer's borrow, great writer's steal.

I'd ask her for a loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Laguna wrote:
    I'd ask her why I seem to be the only one who has noticed she has ripped off many of her 'ideas' from a collection of famous childrens books and amalgamated them to create Harry Potter.

The Worst Witch * All of Roald Dahl's books * Tom Browns school days = Harry Potter

You make it sound like all of those works were somhow without precedent in their ideas, indluences and so on.......

If I could ask rowling one question about the books, it would have nothing to do with giving stuff away for the final one. I'd ask Why the flock all the "grown up" serious wizards use vocal components in the first 5-6 books so much, only to then have Harry berated for not being able to silent-cast like a real wizard should be able to at the end of the 6th.

jc

I wondered the same thing, like in the 5th when the death eaters curse didn't kill Hermione because he couldn't say it out loud. Why did he need to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Is "Kill Ginny" a question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dear JK,
    As I am aware one gets 150 points for the snitch in Quidditch and the game ends as soon as you catch it. So what happens if you're losing by 160 points? Catching the snitch would result in you losing the game. But at the same time NOT catching it leaves it open to your opponent to end the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

See Quiddich world cup in book 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

Is there any chance you could publish a few more of those brilliant mini books. Personally I'd love to see the History of Magic or small prologue involving Dumbledore.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Can I have your money please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

supersheep wrote:
    To be honest, most old wizard chaps can be said to be a Merlin ripoff, Gandalf included. Hell, almost all of Tolkien is ripped from Old English legends and the like, his only innovation was creating a new world for them to inhabit.

He didn't really use old english legends to create his masterpiece of literature.
    He created a whole new world and gave it a huge history. Tolkien loved the celtic and old english languages and wanted to use them, hence the languages of many races.
    Gandalf is not completely a Merlin type person but the movie portrays him as one. Read the Silmarillion it has everything in it and more on the history of Middle Earth. Tolkien's view and the way he made Gandalf was to be a angel of sorts.
    Tolkien also created a whole new type of evil. I haven't seen anything that resembles an Orc, Balrog, Sauron, ect. Trolls on the other hand were all ready created by someone else's mind, but he didn't "rip off" Trolls. I don't think there's a copyright on the word "Troll". He has a vision of what a Troll looks like to him, only the word hasn't changed. You use your own story, characters, world, and languages and that's exactly what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

I couldn't agree more with the post above.

In fact it annoys me abit when people right off a brilliant series such as Harry Potter as a rip off of lord of the rings or any previous fantasy writers have come up with before this.

The magic of Rowling, Toolkein or C.S Lewis's books is that they utilise great fantasy characters like 'The Wizard' 'Goblins' or Centaurs, take their basic characters features Gandalf and Dumbledore are both very powerful wizards, centaurs are stargazers and goblins are greedy and in the case of Lord of the rings irreconcilably evil and then develop their personalities which stretch far beyond the work which went into previously creating what a goblin is. And so we get character’s like Merlin, Gandalf and Dumbledore who on the surface look like your typical 'wizard' but when you delve abit deeper you see there totally different. Merlin was subservient to Arthur, Gandelf very much believes he is superior (and all of his kind) to other beings, therefore he adopts the role of leader in the fellowship without question or too much hassle, in fact the Lord of the Rings book deals quite heavily with the issue of hierarchy, the one ring, the true king of Gondor etc. Dumbledore although is accepted as the natural leader of the wizarding world by a great proportion of the wizarding community, never takes on a role in which he has absolute power. he does not believe himself to be superior by his willingness to give others free reign and of course his modesty, which we don't see from Gandalf.

J.K. Rowling merely touches on these well adapted characters with little explanation or uses a highbred of more than one magical character. J.K adds the word Magus (the Latin word for wizard) ani to form the term animagus animal-wizard. Durmstang schools comes from the art style Sturm und Drang, which was favoured by the Nazi hierarchy. David Colbert's wrote a whole book about the sources of JK creatures which highlights 100's of other examples.

So in the light of this I pose the question, J.K Rowling do you keep a record of all the creatures characters, items and happenings and if so would you ever consider publishing them? please :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Do you take it from behind?

• Advertisement

Illuvatar wrote:
    He didn't really use old english legends to create his masterpiece of literature.
    He created a whole new world and gave it a huge history. Tolkien loved the celtic and old english languages and wanted to use them, hence the languages of many races.
    Gandalf is not completely a Merlin type person but the movie portrays him as one. Read the Silmarillion it has everything in it and more on the history of Middle Earth. Tolkien's view and the way he made Gandalf was to be a angel of sorts.
    Tolkien also created a whole new type of evil. I haven't seen anything that resembles an Orc, Balrog, Sauron, ect. Trolls on the other hand were all ready created by someone else's mind, but he didn't "rip off" Trolls. I don't think there's a copyright on the word "Troll". He has a vision of what a Troll looks like to him, only the word hasn't changed. You use your own story, characters, world, and languages and that's exactly what he did.
    Yeah, sorry, that was a generalisation - in reality it's "based on", not "ripped off" and not just Old English legends, but all sorts of others too, spun in his own. I was arguing against Laguna saying that HP was a rip-off - just because it uses the fantasy archetypes doesn't mean it is. Nearly every fantasy uses these archetypes as a base, from the Nibelungen onwards, and even before (admittedly some of them are newer than that, but the point still stands...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

asl??????????????????????????????????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

She was at my friend's reception once, decided not to go bother her though

I suppose I'd ask if she'll make a harry & co go to university series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

When the hell are you gonna actually do something with the whole Hermione and ron thing??? Its bugging the hell outta me. I mean, 6 years of that, and we're meant to be surprised.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Would you please stop using the word snog in your books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mace4u2

i understand that you have the characters already alive in your mind, and some of the on screen characters do not quite match your idea of what they originally look like.
    what i would like to know is which dumbledore do you fell most captures your original idea closest?
    richard harris or micheal gambon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fccomment

JK Rowling to write a new novel, Love to ask her is it going to be the start of a new fictional treasure. I hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

bluewolf wrote: »
    She was at my friend's reception once, decided not to go bother her though

I suppose I'd ask if she'll make a harry & co go to university series :D

Harry Potter goes to university: He's got problems, and no simple spell is going to get him out of this one, if he thought defeating dementors was hard, he won't know what hit him as he fights off a meth addiction, as well as coping with a host of STDS after sleeping with a Slytherin.
    :D

Advertisement