Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC External point

• 28-08-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

does anyone know if it's possible to take a spur off the UPC point on the external of my house.

I know they've run a cable down to my broadband router.

I was hoping to take a feed off it just to connect some TVs for an analogue signal?

If so, do you know what I need to connect to the point on external?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You need to get upc to run you a new cable. UPC own the junction box and do not like it at all when people mess with it as the wrong cable can cause all sorts of interference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The extra ports on the tap should be locked, anyway.

You need a return-path passing splitter, the same as they provide with the router/STB, to get a secondary feed and then if required you can use an amplifier if you're going to be splitting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

Thanks for the feedback, need to get a ladder and go up and have a look. If there is spare ports I presume it's just a standard f-type on the junction boxes?

That link is much cheaper than the same I've seen on Irish sites.

I presume there would be much loss of signal if I split from the junction box and then into an amplifier. I plan on one feed going to 7 points from an amp and the 2nd one supplying 3 points.
    The amp I had been looking at was this and then the same for 4 way.

The amp you link is completely unsuited to distributing a DVB-C signal carrying DOCSIS channels.

USES of Proception 8 Way TV Amplifier with Bypass

Used to take a signal directly from a UHF and/or a VHF aerial and distibute to up to 8 televisions
    Can take a signal from a sky box (via UHF input) and distribute to up to 8 televisons and support sky eyes

Seriously, get UPC to ruin you new cables. Modern Docsis (cable internet) lines cannot just be randomly split and amplified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

crookesa wrote: »
    ... I was hoping to take a feed off it just to connect some TVs for an analogue signal?

No matter about anything else, that amplifier you linked to doesn't cover the frequencies of all the analogue channels.

Something with a wideband input, like this 2-way version won't filter any of them out.

The amp you link is completely unsuited to distributing a DVB-C signal carrying DOCSIS channels.

Used to take a signal directly from a UHF and/or a VHF aerial and distibute to up to 8 televisions
    Can take a signal from a sky box (via UHF input) and distribute to up to 8 televisons and support sky eyes

Seriously, get UPC to ruin you new cables. Modern Docsis (cable internet) lines cannot just be randomly split and amplified.

Thanks for the reply I was trying to get away from UPC doing it as I wanted to run the cables internally and also do it myself to save the cost so trying to find out the info online

Thurston? wrote: »
    No matter about anything else, that amplifier you linked to doesn't cover the frequencies of all the analogue channels.

Something with a wideband input, like this 2-way version won't filter any of them out.

Thanks I see what you mean, will the link in the post below work?
    I would need more than a 2 way split for the 7 points upstairs.

... will the link in the post below work?

Description says it will accept everything from 30 - 850 MHz, that would get all the analogue channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's looking for the analogue channels only (and to an insane number of points it seems). UPC would charge for a basic digital box at each point, per month.

When you get a modem + box option rather than a Horizon box, UPC use a bog standard passive splitter (with the ability to pass the DOCSIS return path back) to split the cable. The side of this you use for TV can be further split and amplified as required for analogue without issue.

Thanks for the feedback, need to get a ladder and go up and have a look. If there is spare ports I presume it's just a standard f-type on the junction boxes?

You don't need to get a ladder - you're not allowed at the tap. You need to stay on "your" side of the point UPC supply internally.

L1011 wrote: »
    When you get a modem + box option rather than a Horizon box, UPC use a bog standard passive splitter (with the ability to pass the DOCSIS return path back) to split the cable. The side of this you use for TV can be further split and amplified as required for analogue without issue.

So from what I understand I need to take a split from one side of the Broadband splitter that is installed or the existing analogue feed from the UPC tap.

Then I can split and amplify as I see fit with an amp that covers the ranges 30 - 850 MHz and if I get one that includes a return path so as to use Sky if needed in future.

So from what I understand I need to take a split from one side of the Broadband splitter that is installed or the existing analogue feed from the UPC tap.

Then I can split and amplify as I see fit with an amp that covers the ranges 30 - 850 MHz and if I get one that includes a return path so as to use Sky if needed in future.

Basically yes.

New Sky boxes don't have RF modulators and you can't split satellite IF signals at all. There's no return path on their RF modulation anyway, but it does/can carry voltage for the remote eye.

Ok, For fear of repeating myself, DONT PUT AN AMPLIFIER ON A UPC CABLE.

Put them on Terrestrial Arial and satellites that aren't connected to anything else all you like.

Edited to add, This isnt a very future proof idea anyway and pretty pointless. A Sat dish or High Gain UHF aerial will get way more free to air channels than are on UPC analogue and those channels are not going to be cut off anytime in the relatively near future like the UPC analogue ones will be if rumours and speculation are true. Also a lot of cheap TV's sold now dont even have analogue receivers anymore.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'll discuss this with the owners of the property and try and come up with a solution for them.

... Then I can split and amplify as I see fit with an amp that covers the ranges 30 - 850 MHz

It would need to be an amplifier that can handle everything carried on the cable, & still produce a useful output once it's been derated. (The more channels/carriers in use, the more risk there is of mutual interference, so amplification has to be backed off accordingly.)

Anyhow, it's all academic, & if you want free TV, you're better off with satellite & terrestrial, as already mentioned, although you seem to have a lot of TV points to feed. Will there actually be TVs at all these points, all the time?

Thurston? wrote:
    Anyhow, it's all academic, & if you want free TV, you're better off with satellite & terrestrial, as already mentioned, although you seem to have a lot of TV points to feed. Will there actually be TVs at all these points, all the time?

A good point. A satellite would pose it's own issues with distribution. Depending on where you live an aerial can get nearly the same lineup as the sat free to air channels and also get the rte's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Apologies for digressing; As the owner of a property do you have the right to tell UPC to remove the aformentioned external point or do they have a right to have it there? In my case I have one above my front door and I came home last week to find they had run a cable from it along the top of my house, down my wall and into a neighbouring property. Not impressed!

depends on a lot of things but generally, no, you cant ask them to remove it as if its there its there with permission gotten at some stage.

However in your case you should open a complaint dispute with UPC and request that the area supervisor review the work.

Advertisement