Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Ireland to re-brand as Virgin Media

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Huge press thing going on this morning

Richard Branson is over for it, full page article on him and the changeover to Virgin media in last Sunday's Business Post (he's on tomorrow night's Late Late Show also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Website has a massive Virgin Media banner "sneak peak". Ugh too much red.

Unlimited mobile for 25 EUR sounds good though.

Richard Branson is on the Late Late Show tomorrow to promote the rebrand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Richard Branson is on the Late Late Show tomorrow to promote the rebrand.

What a terrible show. I can't understand how anyone pays a TV Licence for that tripe of an advertising platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Updates here.

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaIEPR

This account rebranded from UPC PR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

According to Magnus Ternsjö in an interview earlier on Newstalk they won't be adopting the Tivo box, the Horizon box is staying but will get a new user interface before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Virgin media launches October 5 with Virgin Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

as long as my current package doesnt go up in price then i dont care about this change. if it does go up then hello sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

MarkY91 wrote: »
    as long as my current package doesnt go up in price then i dont care about this change. if it does go up then hello sky.

Hello freesat for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The installers/engineers must hate this sh1t. Every time there's a rebrand they're required to take the old box cover off the wall and replace it with the new one, even if the call-out was only a 30 seconds job where they fiddled with the cables a bit.

seamus wrote: »
    The installers/engineers must hate this sh1t. Every time there's a rebrand they're required to take the old box cover off the wall and replace it with the new one, even if the call-out was only a 30 seconds job where they fiddled with the cables a bit.

It's a waste of time, let it naturally occur as the brand takes over.

Anyone still with a cablelink or chorus branded equipment?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A lot of the Cablelink wall taps were swapped for NTL or UPC branded ones when homes had digital installed. I know at least one home that had a Cablelink wall tap until three months ago though.

There's loads of NTL branded wall taps out there, though the introduction of On Demand (which doesn't work on NTL and Chorus STBs) has meant that there aren't as many NTL STBs out there as there were before it was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Used to have an RTE Relays box on the wall nowhere near the tv, disappeared during the last renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

What a terrible show. I can't understand how anyone pays a TV Licence for that tripe of an advertising platform.

The late late show is one of the most watched TV shows in Ireland and the two RTE channels account for the vast vast majority of TV viewing in Ireland.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it bears up to no scrutiny whatsoever.

Plenty of other places to talk about the Late Late Show, this thread is about Virgin Media

icdg wrote: »
    Plenty of other places to talk about the Late Late Show, this thread is about Virgin Media

Richard Branson will be on The Late Late Show on Friday Night in a pre-recorded interview. Is it still sponsored by Sky Broadband? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

icdg wrote: »
    A lot of the Cablelink wall taps were swapped for NTL or UPC branded ones when homes had digital installed. I know at least one home that had a Cablelink wall tap until three months ago though.

There's loads of NTL branded wall taps out there, though the introduction of On Demand (which doesn't work on NTL and Chorus STBs) has meant that there aren't as many NTL STBs out there as there were before it was introduced.

Make that two; I still have a cablelink one in one of the bedrooms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"We're working on something very special...
    We're making lots of changes and will be back very soon."

Above now up on upc website.

New site is now live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Same stuff, just mobile added.

Nothing else different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Same stuff, just mobile added.

Nothing else different

They have no half price bundles....thats a BIG difference. Just full price from the start.

Considering SKY have a 12 month TV and Broadband half price deal this is a huge price difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Noticed they stopped taking orders for MMDS. Couple of weeks ago they were still offering it in Nenagh.

Noticed they stopped taking orders for MMDS. Couple of weeks ago they were still offering it in Nenagh.

They've already started switching off the service in S. Tipp (and maybe elsewhere), only 6 months remaining to licence expiry.

Rebrand TV spot is a bit cheesy - miniature UPC van, truck with Richard Branson driving, all accompanied by a Patrick Stewart-soundalike voiceover and topped off with the New Avengers theme tune!

According to yesterday's Irish Times the voiceover actually is Patrick Stewart, oddly enough!

Magnus Ternsjö, CEO of UPC/Virgin Media’s operations in Ireland, has been appointed as CEO of UPC Hungary with effect from Nov 1st.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-s-irish-boss-magnus-ternsj%C3%B6-leaves-for-hungary-1.2388835
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/10/12/magnus-ternsjo-new-ceo-upc-hungary/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Dave..M wrote: »
    Make that two; I still have a cablelink one in one of the bedrooms :)

Three. I've got the old cablelink one on the wall as well. Completely forgot it was there until I shifted some furniture.

As for this rebrand, i'm currently on a special offer of tv and broadband for 25 euro a month. Dreading what the price of just the internet alone will be when I revert back next year.

The Cush wrote: »
    Magnus Ternsjö, CEO of UPC/Virgin Media’s operations in Ireland, has been appointed as CEO of UPC Hungary with effect from Nov 1st.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-s-irish-boss-magnus-ternsj%C3%B6-leaves-for-hungary-1.2388835
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/10/12/magnus-ternsjo-new-ceo-upc-hungary/

Not surprising technical will Virgin media Ireland have a CEO? Much of executive work will be from London????

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Not surprising technical will Virgin media Ireland have a CEO? Much of executive work will be from London????

No mention of a replacement CEO in anything I've read this evening.

Advertisement