Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and Wifi

• 17-11-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to change broadband providers. I am currently with 3 and I was reasonably satisfied with them. Previously I was paying €21.99 per month for 40gb a month as I was benefiting from the government scheme for rural areas. However that is now finished and I am only getting 15gb per month but I have received a bill saying I have exceeded that limit. Since this scheme ended my Wi-Fi has been very poor and haven't been able to use it for several days of that month so I can't understand how it could be gone over the limit.
    Can anyone tell me is 15gb a lot to use in a month when you have used the internet very little?
    When I previously had 40gb I never went over this limit but also it was rarely used to watch videos and never used to watch TV or movies. I have been looking up some broadband providers and most seem to only provide 15 or 20gb per month so I'm concerned that will not be enough for my usage.
    Why don't they offer more gb's per month?
    Is 15/20gb per month a lot of data to use? As I have said, my home seems to be using this with very light usage.
    If anyone could shine some light on this for me I would be very grateful as I'm getting a bit bogged down with it all right now.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

In sorry to tell you that you have been conned, conned by both Three and the department into believing what you have is broadband, it's not. It cannot possible deliver what is expected of it and because it's mobile they cannot stop people connecting (or it stops being mobile) therefore they have pitiful monthly limits to prevent its overuse. If there is an option for fixed broadband get it, mobile will always have limits like this. A high definition stream from YouTube or Netflix uses about 2.5GB per hour, so just 6 hours could use up your monthly allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    In sorry to tell you that you have been conned, conned by both Three and the department into believing what you have is broadband, it's not. It cannot possible deliver what is expected of it and because it's mobile they cannot stop people connecting (or it stops being mobile) therefore they have pitiful monthly limits to prevent its overuse. If there is an option for fixed broadband get it, mobile will always have limits like this. A high definition stream from YouTube or Netflix uses about 2.5GB per hour, so just 6 hours could use up your monthly allowance
    Firstly, thanks for your reply!
    How do you mean what I have is not broadband? Is that because it is from a mobile phone company?
    Yes I always thought myself that it seemed too good to be true but unfortunately I'm in such a rural location it was the very best I could get. However, now the cost of it for what I'm getting in return is just too much so I have to change.
    Sorry but I don't know what fixed broadband is, could you give me an example of this?
    Wow! I didn't know that, that is crazy. It's not a surprise so that my limit was exceeded.

What you have is mobile Internet, they should not be allowed call it broadband, it's even referred to as midband on here and has its own forum to keep the threads out of the broadband forum.
    http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1147

The charter explains what midband is and why it's not broadband
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055442502/1/#post60240343

Are there any fixed wireless providers in your area? These have much higher limits and guarantee good signal by installing a rooftop receiver on everyone's roof, you'll need clear line if sight to one of their transmitters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Are there any fixed wireless providers in your area? These have much higher limits and guarantee good signal by installing a rooftop receiver on everyone's roof, you'll need clear line if sight to one of their transmitters

OP - IoffL have an excellent map available to help show what is available across the country. Place the marker over your house and check the Wireless ISPs. It should give you a list (hopefully) of WISPs that provide coverage in your area and it is a case then of getting them out to survey your house to determine line-of-sight to their transmitter.

WISPs provide Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) which is the equivalent of a wired connection and is not subject to the same limitations as Mobile midband. As Mayo Yid says, many have no data limits (my own included).

What you have is mobile Internet, they should not be allowed call it broadband, it's even referred to as midband on here and has its own forum to keep the threads out of the broadband forum.

The charter explains what midband is and why it's not broadband

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. Yes it's not right that they should be allowed to call it broadband when it's not.
    I'm not sure about fixed wireless providers as I have always used mobile internet but I will look into it. Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    OP - IoffL have an excellent available to help show what is available across the country. Place the marker over your house and check the Wireless ISPs. It should give you a list (hopefully) of WISPs that provide coverage in your area and it is a case then of getting them out to survey your house to determine line-of-sight to their transmitter.

WISPs provide Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) which is the equivalent of a wired connection and is not subject to the same limitations as Mobile midband. As Mayo Yid says, many have no data limits (my own included).

I checked using that map and it shows that ripplecom broadband is the only one available. I've never heard of them before, are they a reputable company? Do you know do they charge to come out and survey the house?

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    I checked using that map and it shows that ripplecom broadband is the only one available. I've never heard of them before, are they a reputable company? Do you know do they charge to come out and survey the house?

The norm with wireless providers is that they survey for free but charge an install fee if it works. Check their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    I checked using that map and it shows that ripplecom broadband is the only one available. I've never heard of them before, are they a reputable company?

I can't give an opinion as I don't know, but I'd suggest you search this forum for ripplecom. There may be some people who have had issues with them. :rolleyes:

I can't give an opinion as I don't know, but I'd suggest you search this forum for ripplecom. There may be some people who have had issues with them. :rolleyes:

Ripplrecom cover half the country using several different technologies after buying up some other WISPs, there's bound to be someone with issues at some stage. Better to ask your neighbours or someone local

The norm with wireless providers is that they survey for free but charge an install fee if it works. Check their website

I checked their website and yes that seems to be what they do also.

• Advertisement

I just found out a neighbour of mine uses ripple com so I'm going to ask them for their opinion on it.
    Thanks so much for your help.

Ripplrecom cover half the country using several different technologies after buying up some other WISPs, there's bound to be someone with issues at some stage. Better to ask your neighbours or someone local

One of my neighbours does have ripple com so I'm going to ask their opinion on it and then make a decision on what to do.
    Thanks so much for your help, it's great to get an honest, non biased opinion for once.

Advertisement