Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not knowing if action was taken on a reported post?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

PM the forum modshe Hill Billy.

:pac::pac:

If you see something that you think may have been missed I'd report it again or PM a mod/s. In some of the forums where there are a lot of reported posts, the odd one can slip through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

the post directed at me was spiteful and nasty in the context of the thread.
    It really was. It has been said more than once on Boards that the number one rule here is "Don't be a dick" - how much more in breach of that can you get? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sparks wrote: »
    Not seeing why a new mechanism is needed really. I mean, what would you do with the information that your report was read or not?

decide if it's actually worth even reporting posts in future? There are some fora where I won't bother any more as I know they won't be acted upon. It lets you know at least if it's been noted and ignored or simply missed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

decide if it's actually worth even reporting posts in future? There are some fora where I won't bother any more as I know they won't be acted upon. It lets you know at least if it's been noted and ignored or simply missed.

That's a self-defeating attitude if ever I saw one.

Some people see reporting posts as such a big deal. It's not. Just report the thing if you think it breaches the charter and let the mods, CMods and Admins deal with it after that. It's not a complicated system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you really believe that RPs aren't being actioned - contact the CMods for the forums & provide some examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

d It lets you know at least if it's been noted
    and ignored or simply missed.

Except no it doesnt as I've already pointed out.

Unless you are going to make moderators take some action on the reported posts that they aren't going to take any action on, the system may never know if I have seen, read and ignored or otherwise a reported post.

Anymore than they system knows if you have read the posts that get sent to you via email.

You can follow a thread on boards.ie without ever going to the site more than once, you will be emailed every post.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If a good few reported posts aren't getting acted on, there's a good chance it might be you, not the mods! Just something to consider.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sparks wrote: »
    Not seeing why a new mechanism is needed really.
    As the mod team put all this effort in, I'm sure that it would not be a good use of resources & hard cash to design & develop a feature to satisfy people's curiosity as to whether someone looked at their RP or not.

Fair enough, I've no idea how difficult it would be to implement, and you don't think it's worth it.

Thanks for at least understanding what I was actually saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you really believe that RPs aren't being actioned - contact the CMods for the forums & provide some examples.

been there, done that in the past several times. sometimes it gets actioned, other it doesn't which is fine but it's a long drawn out process that I really don't have the time or patience to be dealing with again and again.

been there, done that in the past several times. sometimes it gets actioned, other it doesn't which is fine but it's a long drawn out process that I really don't have the time or patience to be dealing with again and again.

So maybe you are just reporting too many posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,630 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean, let's be real: if this is a lot of posts, being reported by a specific user, for a specific forum, and those moderators consistently don't take issue with the posts being reported, then there needs to be a communication between the moderators and the user to clarify the situation, otherwise you just get a user both a) generating noise in the reporting system and b) getting frustrated at talking to a wall. Either way, it's not a situation that should arise. IMO.

I'm not saying I don't look at some reported posts and find nothing wrong - that happens - but I've not had to deal with a situation where it is one user making a lot of 'false positive' reports, and if I did, there would be a conversation both to prevent that user from going insane and prevent my inbox from getting slammed with automated messages. Because I've been that user in the past, and you invariably over time just wind up taking 'the law' into your own hands, and start barking back at whatever post(s) you deem offensive, which is not always constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem I had was this: I reported a post and replyed to it, the mods actioned it and got a bit annoyed. Report it, and let us deal with it. Ok, fair enough.

I report a post and don't reply to it and nothing happens. Or has it been deemed ok? I have no idea it the post is fair game again or not.

So I'm waiting to see the outcome of a report before posting a reply when said outcome has already been determined.

I'd also be curious to know why the post highlighted in the openign post had no action taken: I don;t think it's bannable, but it seems to me to be a clear case of at least a yellow card

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

K-9 wrote: »
    Sometimes I thank a RP as a note for the poster, and also so other mods can see I've looked at it. Reported Posts are obviously private so I'm not sure if much information can be given to users who aren't authorised for access.

Can a poster who isnt a mod see the reported post?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No. The report post notification goes to the Reported Posts forum which is only viewable by Mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'd also be curious to know why the post highlighted in the opening post had no action taken: I don;t think it's bannable, but it seems to me to be a clear case of at least a yellow card
    There may have been action taken that is not visible. For example a forum ban leaves no visible sign on a post. Neither does a pm to the poster to tell him to be more civil in future. I guess you just have to trust that the moderators of a particular forum will deal with the reported posts.
    Generally in my fora the mod who does the action (or not) will thank the reported post so we know it has been dealt with already. Sometimes the moderator does not deem any action to be required so does nothing. Most if not all of reported posts are looked at by the moderators of the relevant forum.
    As others suggested contact a CMod if you really take issue with a moderator but otherwise I would suggest report the post and move on.
    No. The report post notification goes to the Reported Posts forum which is only viewable by Mods.
    As a forum it is not that exciting by the way so you're all not missing much ;)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There may have been action taken that is not visible. For example a forum ban leaves no visible sign on a post. Neither does a pm to the poster to tell him to be more civil in future. I guess you just have to trust that the moderators of a particular forum will deal with the reported posts.
    Generally in my fora the mod who does the action (or not) will thank the reported post so we know it has been dealt with already. Sometimes the moderator does not deem any action to be required so does nothing. Most if not all of reported posts are looked at by the moderators of the relevant forum.
    As others suggested contact a CMod if you really take issue with a moderator but otherwise I would suggest report the post and move on.
    ;)

This isn't a bad idea - some kind of automatic mark on the post to say; yes it's been delt with or no it's still pending.

I don't need to know what action has been taken, I just need to know when and if it's acceptable to reply to a post I reported.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This isn't a bad idea - some kind of automatic mark on the post to say; yes it's been delt with or no it's still pending.

I think you misunderstand me. We mark it in the reported posts forum not on the thread. If I started thanking posts on thread you would get all sorts of posters calling me a feminazi/misogynist saying the mods are supporting these guys.

I don't need to know what action has been taken, I just need to know when and if it's acceptable to reply to a post I reported.

I do try and put in an edit or a reply saying a poster is banned, more for users than anything else, not much point replying to somebody on a long break.

Generally it would be fine to reply to a post you reported, as long as it relatively civil and on topic it usually wouldn't be a problem.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Generally it would be fine to reply to a post you reported, as long as it relatively civil and on topic it usually wouldn't be a problem.

The only exception I would add to that would be if a user reported a post for trolling and then still responded to the post. It defeats the whole purpose. Why respond to someone you know is trolling?
    One of the main things we keep asking is "Don't feed the troll", yet people still do it on a daily basis. There are a few serial offenders when it comes to this. They report post after post yet are still happy to engage in a back and forth with this supposed troll. It does nothing but drag the thread down.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The only exception I would add to that would be if a user reported a post for trolling and then still responded to the post. It defeats the whole purpose. Why respond to someone you know is trolling?
    One of the main things we keep asking is "Don't feed the troll", yet people still do it on a daily basis. There are a few serial offenders when it comes to this. They report post after post yet are still happy to engage in a back and forth with this supposed troll. It does nothing but drag the thread down.

Indeed, that would be an exception and I think I may have acted on that basis in the past.

Generally though, as long as you are civil and on topic, there shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand me. We mark it in the reported posts forum not on the thread. If I started thanking posts on thread you would get all sorts of posters calling me a feminazi/misogynist saying the mods are supporting these guys.

I know youo meant thanking other, but stil an automatica notificagion would be an idea.
    I do try and put in an edit or a reply saying a poster is banned, more for users than anything else, not much point replying to somebody on a long break.

Which is fine, if you take action. And as someone guilty of falling for the trollbait on more than one occasion in the past, it's fine when it's obvious and I leve it, but sometimes you're not 100% sure. I tend to leave it more often than not, but that also stiffles debate.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I would imagine that putting public checkmarks or whatever to posts that had been reported and dealt with would cause even more workload for moderators, with posters questioning in-thread why their posts had been reported, or PMing moderators for an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

mike_ie wrote: »
    I would imagine that putting public checkmarks or whatever to posts that had been reported and dealt with would cause even more workload for moderators, with posters questioning in-thread why their posts had been reported, or PMing moderators for an explanation.

In the case of my initial suggestion at least, the notification on the post would only be visible to the person who'd reported it - maybe only visible when hovering over the 'report post' icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GreeBo wrote: »
    So maybe you are just reporting too many posts?

What's the ideal number of posts a poster should report for mods to take them seriously?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's the ideal number of posts a poster should report for mods to take them seriously?

It's not a number, it's reporting too many posts that only you have a problem with.
    Maybe the problem is " yours"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Surely each reported post should be judged on its own merit, regardless of how many posts the poster has reported before?

Self policing by posters is a flawed system, and even more so if that's the attitude of mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,630 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surely each reported post should be judged on its own merit, regardless of how many posts the poster has reported before?

Thats normally the case; the boy who cried wolf and all. wolves still exist, like.

Self policing by posters is a flawed system, and even more so if that's the attitude of mods.

I don't think anyone has suggested that this is the case, other than you tbh.

You are misunderstanding "too many posts" and trying to make it something evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's not a number, it's reporting too many posts that only you have a problem with.
    Maybe the problem is " yours"

I'm having difficultly understanding this 'concept'.

If it's not a number, what is it? How many are too many?

And finally, surely a poster would report a post that only he/she would have an issue with, how do you expect the system to work otherwise? There is no methodology where a group of users can form a consensus and then decide that they (collective) should report it ad-nauseam. So by it's very nature a poster would only report a post that they (singular) would have an issue with, is that not the case?

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    I'm having difficultly understanding this 'concept'.

If it's not a number, what is it? How many are too many?

And finally, surely a poster would report a post that only he/she would have an issue with, how do you expect the system to work otherwise? There is no methodology where a group of users can form a consensus and then decide that they (collective) should report it ad-nauseam. So by it's very nature a poster would only report a post that they (singular) would have an issue with, is that not the case?

The majority of reported posts (99+%) aren't an issue, whether they are actioned or not. Personally I can say that even if I don't action a reported post, I can often see how the person who reported the post might have seen a potential issue, I may just think otherwise in that particular case. (for example, context of a thread can change things quite a bit). In cases such as this I will also ask my co-mods for their opinion, so that we have explored all perspectives.

However, if you have reported what you perceive to be a rule breach 20 or 30 times, and no action has been taken on those reported posts, then another possible explanation is that your perception of the rule that's being breached is out of step with the way the moderators see it, in which case it may be worthwhile reexamining your own interpretation of the situation (the same way the moderators try to when deciding if there's an issue or not), or dropping the moderators a friendly PM to ask if it's not an issue, so that you know not to report similar case again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement