Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Touch site

Options
  • 16-09-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭

Any reason why I cannot access the touch site on my phone?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Working fine for me. If you're on the desktop site have you tried hitting the 'touch site' button at the bottom of the page?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Working fine for me. If you're on the desktop site have you tried hitting the 'touch site' button at the bottom of the page?

Cheers for that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

When clicking "My Threads" is anyone else continually getting...Bolded Threads i.e New posts, but then when you open it their's nothing new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

When clicking "My Threads" is anyone else continually getting...Bolded Threads i.e New posts, but then when you open it their's nothing new?

If you went back to a previous page when reading a thread last time, it makes the touch site think there are unread posts. Does that sound like the issue you're having?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

If you went back to a previous page when reading a thread last time, it makes the touch site think there are unread posts. Does that sound like the issue you're having?

Just tried that and you're right (thanks) and i did do that a few times yesterday...is this a bug?

Its abit like when you jump to the end of a thread from the beginning skipping all in between.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Any reason I cannot access the full site on Android? I get redirected to the 'touch' site every time even with mobile site deselected/force desktop site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Ageyev wrote: »
    Any reason I cannot access the full site on Android? I get redirected to the 'touch' site every time even with mobile site deselected/force desktop site.

Have you tried tapping/clicking on the "Full Site" link at the bottom of the page?

Have you tried tapping/clicking on the "Full Site" link at the bottom of the page?
    Yep. It sends me to the touch site. I even have javascript disabled and I still get the Touch site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

That's an odd one. Can I ask what browser you are using on your phone?

Default Android browser in HTC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Touch site is gone to the dogs for me of late.

Slow to load, thanks not registering and loading a completely different thread to the one I've selected seem to be the most common faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You should use m.boards.ie on your phone much faster to use than touch. It is a older interface but it is far superior to touch imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

gandalf wrote: »
    You should use m.boards.ie on your phone much faster to use than touch. It is a older interface but it is far superior to touch imho.

Oh right, I didn't know it was still active.

I used to use it up to a couple of years ago, but somehow drifted towards the touch site full time.

Think it's time for a change of scenery again.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Oh right, I didn't know it was still active.

I used to use it up to a couple of years ago, but somehow drifted towards the touch site full time.

Think it's time for a change of scenery again.

Yeah it was marked down for execution and then they realised how many of us actually use it so it got a stay for the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's still marked for execution by the way, so don't get used to it :)

Dav wrote: »
    It's still marked for execution by the way, so don't get used to it :)

Once the dev's sort out a solution that's not a bandwidth hog and isn't buggy I am sure we can come to an accommodation. Touch is definitely not that solution.

Remember essentially this is still a discussion based forum and not a social media extravaganca :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yes, but at the same time, we can't allow about two hundred people out of an audience of 70,000 to hold up the site's progress (and yes, I double checked this number, we know we had inaccurate figures before).

The internet is a radically different place than what it was when this place started and decisions that were taken when this site was about a tenth the size it is now are in no way relevant to how it works today. There are some people who seem to have a lot of difficulty coming to terms with that, but it's human nature to fear and distrust any change in routine. I'll bet if we changed the colour blue we use on this site tomorrow, a different 200 people will be here telling us how we have ruined their lives because of it. :)

Our mobile traffic is blowing up (it's about 40% of total site traffic), touch. clearly works and works well. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement or anything of the sort, but a page that looks like an Excel file looks horrible. That doesn't mean it's not functional, but that's *all* it is and it must be more than that. No one is going to join a website that looks like a spreadsheet.

This site is about discussion Dav, not pretty pictures. Once you get away from what made this site the community it has become then you just become more noise.

Look I am just giving you feedback in feedback. Don't get so defensive. If you look objectively at what I am saying then you will realise the logic in it. People want something that loads quickly and is stable. The touch site has never delivered this. If you deliver this with the new improved solution great lets have it but if it's a bastardised version of touch which is inherently flawed then I'll probably give it a miss on my mobile and tablet.

There is no point in making the site pretty on mobile to get people to sign up just to drive those new members away with a flawed system once they truly start to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jesus titty Christ. I used the m mobile site just there. My god. It looks awful.
    Kill it with fire.

How do ye prefer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm a big fan of the touch site, m. Is horrible!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I think dav is right to sound a bit bitchy. I would never use that on my phone.
    Touch is fine. I've never had a problem with it. Maybe your fingers are really fat?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Big fan of the touch site. Never had any issues of note with it.

That mobile site is like sand in my eyes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It forgets which threads I've read after about a week which is a giant pain in the tits when you follow a megathread for a popular programme.

And touch search is worse than useless.

Other than that I've got used to its foibles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I only use the touch site . Mobile site is horrible . Accidentally clicked it before .

The ads have changes on it today ? Much bigger and more per page than usual on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I only use the touch site . Mobile site is horrible . Accidentally clicked it before .

The ads have changes on it today ? Much bigger and more per page than usual on my phone.

I noticed that too and it's really irritating to have large ads midway through a page - I use touch a lot and with a tiny screen those ads are too much. I hope it's just a test tbh I'd be more inclined to click on an ad of interest to me if it was relative to the screen size, small one liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Pretzill wrote: »
    I noticed that too and it's really irritating to have large ads midway through a page - I use touch a lot and with a tiny screen those ads are too much. I hope it's just a test tbh I'd be more inclined to click on an ad of interest to me if it was relative to the screen size, small one liners.

Yeah , I didn't mind the ads at the end but the middles ones are off putting .

The ads are way too large today. It seems that they now take up more space than the thread itself which makes it difficult to follow the flow of a conversation. Also, greater chance of clicking the ad unintentionally.

If this new format is staying, I think I would be more inclined to wait till I was on the laptop to read boards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there no symbol for locked threads on touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The new ads are ridiculous. Much bigger and brighter and I'm getting three per page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Something can surely be done about the ads?..
    Jaysus they're awful, way too large on the site, just splitting content..

Advertisement