Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Tone's hard to gauge sometimes you know yourself. How should I phrase it so, I was simply asking what do you like. Stevie Vai's great but so what,I get where your coming from.

Personally, I'm a huge Blues fan, so generally into lead which is routed in that genre - Hendrix being the prime example. Though Hendrix was technically amazing, that's not why he's remembered.

In truth, the clip's probably taken out of context - ie it was likely a climax. But I maintain that there isn't much depth to his masturbatory playing (at least, what's seen in the clip). It's also so easy to parody: Stars 'n Stripes bandanna, smoking cigarette behind the nut, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

Personally, I'm a huge Blues fan, so generally into lead which is routed in that genre - Hendrix being the prime example. Though Hendrix was technically amazing, that's not why he's remembered.

In truth, the clip's probably taken out of context - ie it was likely a climax. But I maintain that there isn't much depth to his masturbatory playing (at least, what's seen in the clip). It's also so easy to parody: Stars 'n Stripes bandanna, smoking cigarette behind the nut, etc!

I get ya, as I said before I like him but he can be incredibly hammy. As far as Hendrix I see him more as an artist than just a guitar player, Little Wing is so awesome. Apparently Yngwie Malmsteen is a great guitarist but that will never appeal to me. I'll take Stevie Ray Vaughan as an example, who I love as an artist and guitar player but he never had the songwriting ability of Hendrix. Songwriting to me is more important than technical ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...In truth, the clip's probably taken out of context - ie it was likely a climax. But I maintain that there isn't much depth to his masturbatory playing (at least, what's seen in the clip). It's also so easy to parody: Stars 'n Stripes bandanna, smoking cigarette behind the nut, etc!

EVH relevance isn't in the technicality its the sound he creates.

I'm not sure what relevance parody has here, being a heavy smoker, and wearing bandanna is pretty common across all many players even the ones you mention. http://tinyurl.com/my5s5ra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I get ya, as I said before I like him but he can be incredibly hammy. As far as Hendrix I see him more as an artist than just a guitar player, Little Wing is so awesome. Apparently Yngwie Malmsteen is a great guitarist but that will never appeal to me. I'll take Stevie Ray Vaughan as an example, who I love as an artist and guitar player but he never had the songwriting ability of Hendrix. Songwriting to me is more important than technical ability.

My favourite Hendrix is the blues. Especially the stuff on the blues album. A lot of the other stuff I can take of leave it. Significant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

...And Justice For All is Metallica's best album

The production on Divine Intervention by Slayer actually improves the atmosphere on the album, much more than the production on Seasons In The Abyss, which makes it sound bland. In fact I think DI is one of the most under rated albums in Metal.

Slipknot are crap live.

The Real Thing isn't even one of FNM's best three albums.

A lot of Metal nerds are among the most elitist music fans, particularly those who don't listen to other genres, and those people are generally intolerable gob****es.

Fear Factory proved they didn't need Dino with Archetype. Ray Herrera is more fitted to FF than Gene Hoglan was.

Edit: The first Queens Of The Stone Age album is BY FAR their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Diabolus in Musica' is one of Slayers best albums.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kevin Moore > Jordan Rudess

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Kevin Moore & Derek Sherinian > Jordan Rudess

Fyp. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I'll give Malmsteen a listen - I've only vaguely heard of him.

Little Wing is certainly a favourite :)

beauf wrote: »
    My favourite Hendrix is the blues. Especially the stuff on the blues album. A lot of the other stuff I can take of leave it. Significant or not.

I would be somewhat the same, although less hostile than you appear to be to his funkier stuff.

Many of my favourites of his are Blues covers:

I greatly admire that he was so willing to cover others' work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'll add that James LaBrie's solo output is better than anything DT have done in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Links234 wrote: »
    I'll add that James LaBrie's solo output is better than anything DT have done in years

I REALLY like LaBrie's solo stuff, but that's a fairly bold statement. So I guess you're in the right thread.

Awwww yis, bringin' the controversy! :pac:

I'm serious though, Train of Thought was their last good album

I'm serious though, Train of Thought was their last good album

Agree with this. Octavarium was decent, but the start of the slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

I'll give Malmsteen a listen - I've only vaguely heard of him.

I cannot condone these actions, tread lightly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with BABYMETAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I think there's a difference between people who appreciate music for what it is, and people who appreciate music for what it sounds like.

The people who appreciate music for what it is can appreciate a Disney-like Dream Theater melody because it requires more of a musical ear.

The people who appreciate music for how the sound makes them feel are less likely to appreciate melodies and changing tempos because they're looking instead for an atmosphere, specific textures, and probably lyrics that speak to them.

Protest the Hero is a good example - I can very much appreciate what they do, but to a huge chunk of metal fans they are just emo garbage, because that's what their music SOUNDS like - but it's not the real reason why they're a good band.

So my unpopular metal opinion is - if you don't at least appreciate more melodic/experimental/prog bands you are lacking a certain ear. You call them cheesy or boring because you're unable to see past their overall sound, in order to see what makes their actual compositions great.

I'm not sure if this is a satire on pretentious music fans or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

'Bohemian Rhapsody' is Queen's most over rated, over played song, f***in sick of hearing it on Nova

Nova are awful for repeating the same songs over and over in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

They play the same stuff every single week! It's actually ridiculous. It'd be great if a station actually stepped outside the safe choices. Not that I listen to much radio, but that's probably why!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

nova teased us big time when they started but now i think it wouldn't take long to compile there complete playlist and i don't think it would exceed 100 tracks.
    HUGE disapointment and i no longer bother, radio slaved to my phone for some good music with a lot more variety

i look forward to a 4g future and tuning in to internet metal radio on the go in my car and walking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Yup, that they are! Head wrecking to say the least, but it's not the repetitive play on Nova that formed my opinion of the BH, I just think it's true anyway :) The song just doesn't do it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think Rudess is just more fanciful stuff, Kevin Moore was a downright genius.

Point in case...O.S.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Definitely not an unpopular opinion...

You know, talking about the radio repeating the same things over and over, a lot of rock or metal nights in pubs etc do that too, and it's headwrecking. A DJ playing maybe the same handful of songs, and you're almost bound to hear the same few Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden songs, etc. Hurray, it's Highway to Hell, what a surprise.

One of the best DJ nights I'd been to was when Alan from Primordial did one in Bruxelles, and while I didn't love everything he played or even knew what half of it was, at least it was something different instead of the usual bunch of crowdpleasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Mushy wrote: »
    I think Rudess is just more fanciful stuff, Kevin Moore was a downright genius.

Point in case...O.S.I.

Don't know if I'd use OSI as a barometer for Moore's musical genius but he certainly elevated DT beyond self-indulgence.
    You know, talking about the radio repeating the same things over and over, a lot of rock or metal nights in pubs etc do that too, and it's headwrecking. A DJ playing maybe the same handful of songs, and you're almost bound to hear the same few Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden songs, etc. Hurray, it's Highway to Hell, what a surprise.

One of the best DJ nights I'd been to was when Alan from Primordial did one in Bruxelles, and while I didn't love everything he played or even knew what half of it was, at least it was something different instead of the usual bunch of crowdpleasers.

Easily known you don't have to drink there on a regular basis. :pac: It gets tiresome, trust me. He plays whatever he wants to hear, not what the crowd want to hear and therefore a lot of people know to avoid it when he's DJing. But I'm sure that it might appear refreshing if you only experience it now and again. The reason the same old Metal standards are trotted out by DJ's is because sadly it's what the crowd want to hear. There was a time when I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Links but I was resident DJ in a Dublin Rock Bar for years and while I had great intentions to play the most eclectic playlist I could I would inevitably be bombarded for requests for "AC/DC, G'N R, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Maiden, Alice In Chains, Judas Priest, etc." So I gave them what they wanted and that's what most DJ's do. You try to shake up the playlist by playing a few obscure songs or maybe less obvious tracks by well known bands but a lot of it goes over people's heads tbh when they simply want to Rock out, air guitar and enjoy their pints.
    nova teased us big time when they started but now i think it wouldn't take long to compile there complete playlist and i don't think it would exceed 100 tracks.

It humours me a little the amount of Rockers who actually bother with this radio station. What makes it a 'Rock' radio station exactly, the Iron Maiden font?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a satire on pretentious music fans or not.

Embarrassingly enough for me, I was being serious. This is just an observation I've made over the years. It's the fundamental reason why some people will never get into a particular song no matter how many times you make them listen to it. They're looking for different things in that song than you. You haven't noticed how people who have a better grasp of music theory are more likely to enjoy more technical music? How people who are tone deaf are more likely to listen to Bob Dylan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Iron Maiden don't need three guitarists.

Korn. What is the point?

Chili Peppers. Only two albums worthwhile. Blood, Sugar.... and Calfornication are superb but the rest are so poor in comparison.

Death Angel piss all over the Big 4. (Obviously not Slayer though)

Passenger wrote: »
    Easily known you don't have to drink there on a regular basis. :pac: It gets tiresome, trust me. He plays whatever he wants to hear, not what the crowd want to hear and therefore a lot of people know to avoid it when he's DJing. But I'm sure that it might appear refreshing if you only experience it now and again. The reason the same old Metal standards are trotted out by DJ's is because sadly it's what the crowd want to hear. There was a time when I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Links but I was resident DJ in a Dublin Rock Bar for years and while I had great intentions to play the most eclectic playlist I could I would inevitably be bombarded for requests for "AC/DC, G'N R, Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Maiden, Alice In Chains, Judas Priest, etc." So I gave them what they wanted and that's what most DJ's do. You try to shake up the playlist by playing a few obscure songs or maybe less obvious tracks by well known bands but a lot of it goes over people's heads tbh when they simply want to Rock out, air guitar and enjoy their pints.

No, I'd definitely not be a regular drinker there alright, only pop in there after a gig or something. I do understand why the usual stuff gets played all the time, and that there's a demand for it... but god damn does it ever get annoying hearing the same songs over and over from venue to venue, the only difference being the order they're played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

THE BIG 4 of thrash metal should've been THE BIG 5

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Stone Sour are far superior to Slipknot.

Risk by Megadeth isn't a bad album.

Airbourne are one of the best bands of this generation.

Advertisement