Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The Commentators are turning my stomach...

Conters poor there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Dupuy's got some boot?!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Missed drop from 15m... Poor. Should have put the +8 handicap on the chiefs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Exeter have had so many chances in the game to win it but just can't seem to finish any of them off.

And now Stade have scored a try :-( with 2 mins to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Over now

Thank God for that. Lovely stuff from Dupey.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

JustinDee wrote: »
    He makes a fair point. Hardly "silly".
    Four overseas players are keeping Irish qualified players out of their provincial side. Nobody outside the management has any idea what plans are made for the players by the Irish selectors.

I'm sorry, but how any true Irish rugby supporter can defend the title or the content of that article is beyond me. The so-called "fair point" you refer to could be levelled at both Munster & Leinster also. I hardly need to point out that each province has the same number of NIQ players. Just because Ulster have bought 4 NIQ players who are all good enough to be regulars on the 1st XV should not be a reason for it to be "bad for Ireland" should they progress in the HC. I don't really want to go through this article line-by-line, as it is littered with inaccuracies & hypocrisies.

However, I think it is a well accepted fact that a NIQ player can bring addded-value to any of the provinces by dragging up IQ players to their level e.g. Elsom, Contepomi, Nacewa, Williams, Howlett......etc..... A current Ulster example would be Paul Marshall- his game has improved immeasurably since Pienaar was signed. Pienaar is not the one hindering his progress onto the Ireland squad, it is DK picking an out-of-form TO'L ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

EDINBURGH:
    15. Tom Brown, 14. Lee Jones, 13. Nick De Luca, 12. Matt Scott, 11. Tim Visser, 10. Greig Laidlaw (capt), 9. Mike Blair,
    1. Allan Jacobsen, 2. Ross Ford, 3. Geoff Cross, 4. Grant Gilchrist, 5. Sean Cox, 6. David Denton, 7. Ross Rennie, 8. Netani Talei,

Replacements: 16. Andrew Kelly, 17. Kyle Traynor, 18. Jack Gilding, 19. Stuart McInally, 20. Roddy Grant, 21. Chris Leck, 22. Phil Godman, 23. Jim Thompson,

TOULOUSE:
    15. Yannick Jauzion, 14. Timoci Matanavou, 13. Florian Fritz, 12. Yann David , 11. Yves Donguy, 10. Lionel Beauxis, 9. Luke Burgess,
    1. Jean-Baptiste Poux, 2. William Servat, 3. Census Johnston, 4. Yoann Maestri, 5. Patricio Albacete, 6. Jean Bouilhou, 7. Thierry Dusautoir (capt), 8. Louis Picamoles ,

Replacements: 16. Christopher Tolofua, 17. Daan Human, 18. Yohan Montes, 19. Grégory Lamboley, 20. Jean-Marc Doussain, 21. Clément Poitrenaud, 22. Yannick Nyanga, 23. Gillian Galan,

Jauzion at 15 is interesting, I odn't know if he has played there before but he is a complete footballer and has a great kicking game. He's ahead of Poitrenaud who played 15 for France this year.

Toulouse have a lot of injuries, Clerc and Medard out is a big blow for any team. They will have a great advantage in the lineout with Bouilhou at 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

After watching Cheetahs versus the Hurricanes the other day to try and wash away the memory of the Nigel Owens led bore fest last week I can safely say that the weekend can't come quick enough.

Nothing beats HC quarter weekend

• Advertisement

Toulon:
    15 Benjamin Lapeyre, 14 Alexis Palisson, 13 Mathieu Bastareaud, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 David Smith, 10 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Sébastien Tillous-Borde,
    8 Joe van Niekerk (capt), 7 Steffon Armitage, 6 Pierrick Gunther, 5 Dean Schofield, 4 Christophe Samson, 3 Carl Hayman, 2 Sebastien Bruno, 1 Eifion Lewis-Roberts.

Replacements: 16 Jean-Charles Orioli, 17 Romain Frou, 18 Davit Kubriashvili, 19 Joe El Abd, 20 Gabi Lovobalavu, 21 Luke Rooney, 22 Fabien Cibray, 23 Jocelino Suta.

Harlequins:
    15 Mike Brown, 14 Tom Williams, 13 Matt Hopper, 12 Jordan Turner-Hall, 11 Ugo Monye, 10 Rory Clegg, 9 Karl Dickson,
    8 Nick Easter, 7 Luke Wallace, 6 Tom Guest, 5 George Robson (capt), 4 Tomas Vallejos, 3 James Johnston, 2 Rob Buchanan, 1 Mark Lambert.

Replacements: 16 Aston Croall, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Will Collier, 19 Peter Browne, 20 Maurie Fa'asavalu, 21 Danny Care, 22 Benjamin Urdapilleta, 23 George Lowe

Date: Friday, April 6
    Kick-off: 20:45 (19:45 BST)
    Venue: Stade Félix Mayol
    Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
    Assistant referees: Dudley Phillips (Ireland), Carlo Damasco (Italy)

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7651951,00.html

This should be a cracking match, both sides are in good form domestically. Toulon are taking this match very seriously, their side (minus 1 or 2) is full strength. Crazy depth at tighthead with Hayman and Kubri, both are in the top tightheads in Europe at the very least. Plus they will have both Sheridan and Jenkins for loosehead next season!

Unfortunately Nick Evans is injured which does take away from the tie, his duel with Wilkinson and Giteau would have been interesting. However Clegg is a decent player, he was brilliant against Munster last year in Thomond.

The battle between the opensides will be good, Wallace is a young player who is hotly tipped to be capped in a few years. Steffon Armitage has been in great form for Toulon since signing from London Irish. Rumour has it he will joined by his other brothers Delon and Guy next season.

Anyway, love them or hate them, Toulon will have the Stade Mayol roaring. Allez Toulon!!!!

22-3 to Toulon so far. Almost halftime. 6 penalties for JW and a converted try for Tillous-Borde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Toulon are slapping Quins around for fun. They could win this by 40 if they keep the foot on the gas.

22-3 to Toulon so far. Almost halftime. 6 penalties for JW and a converted try for Tillous-Borde.

12-3 where I am watching:D

Edit Sorry could be, I forgot I paused it...........

2nd string Harlequins side.....best bit so far was player falling over in tunnel, Harlequins should of known it wasnt there night after that

Typical Sky thou, never shut up about Jonny Wilkinson!!!

Toulon win 37-8. Quins got a consolation try after RCT emptied the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Big Nelly wrote: »
    12-3 where I am watching:D

Edit Sorry could be, I forgot I paused it...........

2nd string Harlequins side.....best bit so far was player falling over in tunnel, Harlequins should of known it wasnt there night after that

Typical Sky thou, never shut up about Jonny Wilkinson!!!

Mike Brown, Monye, Nick Easter, George Robson, Tom Williams, Turner Hall, Johnston. 2nd string?

Comprehensively outplayed by a hungrier side. Toulon look alot better side this season, especially in the top 14. Armistage has been a great signing, and they seem to have a settled side under Laporte compared to the constant tinkering Saint Andre used to do where they could have 2 different 15s on 2 consecutive weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JustinDee wrote: »
    leftleg wrote: »
    As if Dan, Chris and Paul will ever actually get game time under Kidney anyway;
    What a silly article; typical Hugh
    He makes a fair point. Hardly "silly".
    Four overseas players are keeping Irish qualified players out of their provincial side. Nobody outside the management has any idea what plans are made for the players by the Irish selectors.
    His point was that Ulster winning would be bad for Irish rugby. Very strange to see you agreeing with that.

Mike Brown, Monye, Nick Easter, George Robson, Tom Williams, Turner Hall, Johnston. 2nd string?

Comprehensively outplayed by a hungrier side. Toulon look alot better side this season, especially in the top 14. Armistage has been a great signing, and they seem to have a settled side under Laporte compared to the constant tinkering Saint Andre used to do where they could have 2 different 15s on 2 consecutive weeks

Harlequins are pushing for Aviva. They got caught out in HC and let the Aviva slide. There is no way Conor O'Shea is too worried about this game. I am watching game and nowhere near the intensity that they showed against Munster last season.

Who is Armistage?

Even if Quins did go full throttle, they would have struggled to win. Stade Mayol has an atmosphere like no other.

Even if Quins did go full throttle, they would have struggled to win. Stade Mayol has an atmosphere like no other.

Best bit, and I am about 20 mins behind everyone due to Sky+, is that even thou Harlequins are getting whopped Sky are not talking about Toulon been good. Just about how good the english players are! joke!!!!!! seriously.....They are supposed to be this Worldwide organization but cant see beyond England.

Sorry they just scored a try, they nearly wet there pants

From his POV, it's a shame Armitage played a few tests for England. He grew up in Nice so he would have qualified for France. Given PSA was his coach at the start of the season he would have been seriously looked at for les bleus. Steffon speaks French too so would have no problem integrating etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

From his POV, it's a shame Armitage played a few tests for England. He grew up in Nice so he would have qualified for France. Given PSA was his coach at the start of the season he would have been seriously looked at for les bleus. Steffon speaks French too so would have no problem integrating etc.
    Are one of his grandparents or parents french? You don't stay qualified if you leave the area after qualifying, for example Visser is no longer english qualified.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are one of his grandparents or parents french? You don't stay qualified if you leave the area after qualifying, for example Visser is no longer english qualified.

He's been capped at Senior level for England.

I think he could have qualified for a few of the home nations. Interestingly enough his younger brother, the one younger than Delon, is also going to Toulon next year. I'm guessing but I don't think he's played for England A so could qualify for France. He's currently in the London Irish Academy.

According to Wikipedia the Armitidges grew up in Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here does anyone else think its weird that Clermont have selected Bordeax as their home ground for a semi.

Sarries electing to play in Twickenam.

Touchwood if Leinster win tomorrow I'd probably be ok with going to Bordeax, we probably know it better then Clermont do...

Girlfriend gone home for weekend, beer on ice, chicken wings ready, match ticket in pocket, Biarritz vs Wasps about to start, Monday off.

If this isn't heaven, I don't want to go there.

Lively game and entertaining. I know I'm on the record as being a fan of his but John Lacey is referee and doing a fine job. His usual level of communication and picking up on things that are often missed whilst letting the game flow. Balshaw flicked a hand out to a bouncing ball, pushing it to touch and Lacey had no hesitation in calling it a deliberate knock to touch and giving a penalty.

Balshaw try. Robinson fails to gather kick off and Ngwenya feeds Balshaw to scamper around. Wasps and commentators claiming Ngwenya knocked on as he challenged Robinson but slow motion replay shows there was never contact. Commentators claim otherwise even watching replay.

7-6, Biarritz.

9-17 now!

Very entertaining game. Yards being made by both sides every time they put a few phases together. Great flowing game with a low error count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Think that was a hard one to call for the TMO. Thought Van Staden lost it myself, but close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    Lively game and entertaining. I know I'm on the record as being a fan of his but John Lacey is referee and doing a fine job. His usual level of communication and picking up on things that are often missed whilst letting the game flow. Balshaw flicked a hand out to a bouncing ball, pushing it to touch and Lacey had no hesitation in calling it a deliberate knock to touch and giving a penalty.

Balshaw try. Robinson fails to gather kick off and Ngwenya feeds Balshaw to scamper around. Wasps and commentators claiming Ngwenya knocked on as he challenged Robinson but slow motion replay shows there was never contact. Commentators claim otherwise even watching replay.

7-6, Biarritz.

Funny you mention it but that's something I noticed early in the game, his instructions at the ruck are very loud, clear and simple.

• Advertisement

Biarritz are falling to pieces and now wasps are back in with a chance!!!

Advertisement