Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your top 10 favourite bands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

1.Ac/Dc
    2.Pink floyd
    3.Kyuss
    4.Death
    5.Slayer
    6.Prong
    7.Propain
    8.Opeth
    9.Clutch
    10.Immolation.
    A bit of something for every mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

In no particular order.

Yob.
    Meshuggah.
    Cannibal Corpse.
    Crowbar.
    High on Fire.
    Pantera.
    Dying Fetus.
    Weedeater.
    Death.
    Electric Wizard.

Honorary mentions to:

Wreck of the Hesperus, Death, Immolation, Javelina, Origin, Ramesses, Putrefy,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Narrowing this down to ten was a lot harder than I thought and I'm sure there's a band or two that I've overlooked unintentionally. Here's a list mostly based off albums that caused a metaphorical jaw-drop when I heard them first.
    1. Metallica - For basically introducing me to metal via Ride the Lightning.
    2. Guns N' Roses - For releasing arguably the finest debut album ever. It still gets a regular spin nearly 25 years after its release.
    3. Fear Factory - Primarily for the awesome Demanufacture and Obsolete albums but also for demonstrating to young me that it's perfectly possible to marry electronic elements and metal riffs.
    4. In Flames - Unlike many people it seems I got into In Flames at the wrong time. While I love Reroute to Remain and most of what they've released since then, true fans prefer the earlier stuff apparently.
    5. Faith No More - Their ability to merge seamlessly between various disparate genres is pretty much unparalleled.
    6. Therapy - They've never come close to equalling it but even if they'd never released anything else, they'd be on my list for Troublegum alone. One of my favourite albums ever since its release.
    7. Sepultura - Like Therapy, Sepultura would have to make this list for Chaos AD alone but unlike Therapy they have a bunch of other albums that are well worth checking out.
    8. The Birthday Massacre - Probably relatively obscure and certainly not that heavy but good God does this band produce some ridiculously catchy dreamy stuff. Their 2010 album Pins & Needles kept me company during the many tedious car journeys I did between Galway and Cork last year.
    9. Nightwish - Until I saw the video for Nemo I'd never have thought it was possible for operatic vocals and metal to fit together. Happily it is. Their album Once is my favourite but the rest of their back catalogue is worth checking out.
    10. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream is the standout album but the rest of their stuff up to 2000 and the breakup of the classic line-up is pretty damn good too. A bit like Faith No More, they straddle a few different genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

AC/DC
    Iron Maiden
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    Lacuna Coil
    Metallica
    Muse
    Queen
    Motley Crue
    Linkin Park - Although this will change if they release another rubbish album like the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

In no particular order
    Amon Amarth
    Blind Guardian
    Metallica
    Judas Priest
    Boston
    Clutch
    Tyr
    Ensiferum
    Devin Townsend(anything of his belongs here really)
    Opeth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

The Gun Club
    Kommunity FK
    Toy Love
    Slayer
    Christian Death
    Samhain
    Voivod
    Radio Birdman
    The Flesh Eaters

no order .. stuck for a 10th :/

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

So hard to pick just 10. Fairly quick list off the top of my head.

1. Opeth
    2. Rush
    3. Frank Zappa/Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    4. Iron Maiden
    5. King Crimson
    6. Pink Floyd
    7. Queen
    8. Ensiferum
    9. Nile
    10. Dream Theater

Looking at it, its very prog-heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Here's my top ten for what it's worth.
    1 Frank Zappa out on his own, he was a true original.
    2 Rush.
    3 Deep Purple.
    4 Led Zeppelin.
    5 King Crimson.
    6 Yes.
    7 ELP.
    8 Wishbone Ash.
    9 Black Sabbath.
    10 Pink Floyd./ Jethro Tull.
    I couldn't leave out the Tull. As you can see from my list I'm stuck in a time warp, but to this day I haven't heard a group or artist in the part 30 or so years that would come near those above in there pomp. Yes there have been some superb artists since the 80's but just not up to that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

This is gonna be hard :P

1. Tool - The first band that truly captivated and moved me with their music. My first full on over-obsessive band and even after a lot of changes in taste they still maintain the top spot! Lateralus and Aenima: perfection.

2. Mastodon - Marrying sludgey heaviness with proggy sensibilities and top-class song writing? These guys are the kings. Love their oldest and newest stuff the most, everything in between is still brilliant. New album sounds like it is going to drop jaws.

3. Primordial - Mon' the lads! Favourite Irish band! No other band plays with such conviction as Primordial. Expert songwriting, Irish rhythms/melodies and a powerful frontman combine to put them among the heavy metal elite.

4. Drudkh - My favourite black metal band if you don't consider Primordial black. I know so little actual facts about them yet their beautiful, raw, and emotional music never fails to stir me. Incredible atmospheres.

5. Dead Congregation - Favourite death metal band. These guys just have everything I love in death metal: dirty yet huge production, evil atmospherics and endless awesome riffs...for me, no one else really comes close, even though they're quite recent! can't wait for new material!

6. System of a Down - Band that got me into metal...and surprisingly they still have a huge place in my listening! Still heavy as balls and wacky as fook to this day! Love some of the ballad-y songs! There's gems to be found in all of their back catalogue!

7. Altar of Plagues - More Irish! Starting off as a great kind of post-black(?) metally group and then morphing into something more intricate altogether, the different concepts and atmospheric soundscapes that this band experiment with are something to behold. Brains behind the band James Kelly is a pure genius.

8. Gojira - These frenchies are f*cking heavy! Such riffs and such pounding drumming! Almost machine-like musicianship but still with an air of urgent emotion! From Mars to Sirius is flawless.

This is where it gets very hard :/

9. Krallice - Two guitar virtuoso's try their hand at black metal...with stunning results. If you want atmosphere, look no further than these guys. Brilliant brilliant music.

10. Blut Aus Nord - A one man led man...and that man has an almost inhuman ability to craft incredible music. Whether its more traditional black metal beauty or if it is an absolutely terrifying industrial/black ambient hybrid...Vindsval is a songwriting master. Memoria Vetusta II is a masterpiece in black metal. The Work Which Transforms God, a terrifying piece unlike anything before.

Honorable Mentions: Ulcerate, Bolt Thrower, Deftones, A Perfect Circle, Bathory, Devin Townsend and everything he does, Opeth, Decapitated, Pig Destroyer, Wormrot, Anaal Nathrakh, Biffy Clyro, Alice in Chains, Meshuggah, The Beatles, Cloudkicker.

Wow, I got really into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

;)Led Zep
    Muse
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Pink Floyd
    Rolling Stones
    Thin Lizzy
    Van Halen
    Green Day
    Black Sabbath
    AC/DC

All vey mainstream I know but I don't care. I've never been cool, it's too late to start now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

1. Metallica - Love everything about them
    2. Pearl Jam - Ditto
    3. The Mars Volta - Crazy noise that somehow translates into savage music
    4. Pink Floyd - Need no explanation
    5. Hendrix - Wizard, noone come close to him
    6. The Beatles - Great band
    7. Tool - Every song sounds pretty much the same, and that's just fine with me
    8. Slayer - (breathes in) SLAAAYYYEERR!
    9. Led Zeppelin - Um, they're awesome!
    10. Neil young - Beautiful voice and has a heart of gold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

1. Radiohead
    2. Lamb of God
    3. Rammstein
    4. Meshuggah
    5. Yes
    6. Pixies
    7. Children of Bodom
    8. Decapitated
    9. Deep Purple
    10. In Flames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

1. Pearl Jam - All it took was the first cords of Even Flow
    2. Smashing Pumpkins - Jimmy Chaimberlin's drumming
    3. The Who - Still sound fresh now
    4. Nirvana - Best memory is bringing a recording of Smells Like teen Spirit to a christmas house party (most of the kids were into 2 Unlimited and East 17 and crap) this came on and the place went mental.
    5. Radiohead - as far as Ok Computer
    6. The Manic Street Preachers - Bleak lyrics perfect for a teenager
    7. Soundgarden - Chris Cornell the perfect Rock voice
    8. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Funky
    9. Metallica - As much as the Metal Millitia might hate it, Load is one of my favourte albums - Recent stuff is not so good
    10. Foo Fighters - Dave was wasted behind the drums in Nirvana. they have been solid for 15 years now, quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Malice wrote: »
    4. In Flames - Unlike many people it seems I got into In Flames at the wrong time. While I love Reroute to Remain and most of what they've released since then, true fans prefer the earlier stuff apparently.

The pretentious ones anyway :rolleyes:

You won't find a truer fan than yours truly, and while I love all their stuff (with the exception of Lunar Strain) the post-Reroute stuff would probably get heavier rotation for me than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Malice wrote: »
    8. The Birthday Massacre - Probably relatively obscure and certainly not that heavy but good God does this band produce some ridiculously catchy dreamy stuff. Their 2010 album Pins & Needles kept me company during the many tedious car journeys I did between Galway and Cork last year.

While you're being quoted I'll jump in there, the Birthday Massacre are ridiculously good and prolli would've broke a hell of a lot bigger in the States if not for the 'metal' vox in 'Blue'. Beautiful band. Ten bands I listen to most at the moment I guess, since favourite would imply they can do no wrong and some have obvious consistency errors (Static X and Combichrist at least and Satan strike me for saying it, Type O Negative's last album).

Tool.
    The Birthday Massacre.
    The Cure.
    Nine Inch Nails.
    Type O Negative.
    Ministry.
    Combichrist.
    Velvet Acid Christ.
    Static X.
    Rammstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ArchiCathal

Hero In Error
    Red Enemy
    Pink Floyd
    letlive.
    The Contortionist
    Architects (albums 1-3)
    Chronographs
    Monuments
    SikTh
    The Arusha Accord

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Foo Fighters- Love them
    Nirvana
    Rory Gallagher
    Thin Lizzy

^ Some of my favourite ones.

There are loads of other bands that I like but wouldn't call my 'favourites' because while I like a good lot of their songs, I don't think I'd know enough of their music to call them that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

I cant pick in order, way too hard so Ill just write as they come to mind...
    1) The Doors
    2) Eric Clapton
    3) Rory Gallagher
    4) Led Zeppelin
    5) Korn
    6) Deftones
    7) Lana Del Rey
    8) Nine Inch Nails
    9) Pantera
    10) Barcelona

Thats probably a random mix, some of them theres a few songs I love, others I love everything. My favourites change all the time but my top 3 there is for forever =)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

1. Lamb of God
    2. Killswitch Engage
    3. Trivium
    4. 36 Crazyfists
    5. Mastodon
    6. Metallica
    7. Threat Signal
    8. As I Lay Dying
    9. Arch Enemy
    10. Pantera

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

3. Primordial - Mon' the lads! Favourite Irish band! No other band plays with such conviction as Primordial. Expert songwriting, Irish rhythms/melodies and a powerful frontman combine to put them among the heavy metal elite.

7. Altar of Plagues - More Irish! Starting off as a great kind of post-black(?) metally group and then morphing into something more intricate altogether, the different concepts and atmospheric soundscapes that this band experiment with are something to behold. Brains behind the band James Kelly is a pure genius.

Wow, I got really into that :)

Primordial are a class band. The new album is really great, but my favourite album is still 'The Gathering Wilderness'. It's an incredible album, and there are no forgettable songs on it at all. You might also love Mael Mórdha, they play a style of metal that is similar to Primordial. Altar of Plagues sounds interesting so thanks for mentioning them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

FAITH NO MORE
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

THE DOORS

MR BUNGLE

BLACK SABBATH

GUNS N ROSES

TOMAHAWK

NIRVANA

(EARLY) CHILI PEPPERS

DOG FASHION DISCO

PEARL JAM

Honorable mention... Boyzone, Take That and New kids on the block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Pearl Jam
    Guns N' Roses
    Metallica
    Steve Vai
    Ozzy / Black Sabbath
    Thin Lizzy
    The Doors
    The Stone Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

In no order with the exception of 1).

1) Carcass
    2) Faith No More
    3) Rammstein
    4) Slayer
    5) AC/DC
    6) D.R.I
    7) Slipknot
    8) Metallica
    9) Rage Against the Machine
    10) Motley Crue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

1 - Slayer (by a country mile)
    2 - Cradle of Filth
    3 - Slipknot
    4 - Blink 182
    5 - Metallica
    6 - Iron Maiden
    7 - S.O.A.D.
    8 - Death
    9 - Megadeth
    10 - Pantera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

In no particular order, depending what mood I'm in :)... top 5 I keep coming back to and play the most

1. Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention
    2. Rush
    3. Slayer
    4. Megadeth
    5. Death
    6. Black Sabbath
    7. Motorhead
    8. Porcupine Tree
    9. Primus
    10. Any band that Robert Plant sings with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SLK2005

No order
    UFO
    Rush
    The Cult
    Nazareth
    Sabbath
    Zep
    Free
    Rainbow
    The Jam
    The Pixies
    Gallagher
    Al Stewert
    Blue Oyster Cult
    The Manic street Preachers
    Neil Young
    Pink Floyd except ummagumma
    The Blades
    Kasabian
    etc etc blah blah blah
    foster and allen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SLK2005

Top 10 sorry- cant count:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

1. Stone Roses
    2. Jimi Hendrix Experience
    3. Pixies
    4. Manic Street Preachers
    5. Beatles
    6. The Velvet Underground
    7. The Stooges
    8. Sonic Youth
    9. Radiohead
    10. Dinosaur Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Rush.
    Led Zeppelin.
    Pink Floyd.
    Porcupine Tree.
    Black Sabbath.
    Rory Gallagher.
    Frank Zappa.
    Faith No More.
    Rammstein.
    Pain Of Salvation.

Top 5 there rarely changes., for a top ten, many many more, depends on mood i guess.
    Saw 7 of the first 8 live... 8, if you count Zappa plays Zappa:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Rush.

Saw 7 of the first 8 live... 8, if you count Zappa plays Zappa:D

Was at that gig too... was missing Frank's wacky humour and presence though

Advertisement