Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electoral register

Options
  • 08-10-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any legal requirement for a person to be registered. Can a person de-register if they so desire?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

No legal requirement and yes you can have yourself removed from the register

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Where can you check the register online - or is it online at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Haddockman wrote: »
    Is there any legal requirement for a person to be registered. Can a person de-register if they so desire?

I don't think it's online, it can be checked at Garda stations and post offices afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Juza1973

If in an household somebody does not want to be included in the Electoral register it is admissible not to include them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

It is impossible to de-register unless you're transferring from one constituency to another, have died or have left the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you mean that someone calls to your home to see who wants to be on the register?

All I ever get is the form which I religiously fill out and post back though I believe that they are reluctant to remove people from the register merely because they fail to make a return. It could be different these days though I can imagine lots of calls to Joe complaining if they go to vote and find that they're not on the register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Just a quick question....I was away for a few years. I had returned back to the same house, but have since moved. I work for a government organisation, so my payslip details have followed me to my current address, however, I am no longer on the electoral register. I have to go through the whole registering process again......I really don't understand that if revenue can follow for property tax, surely the electoral register can't be a step too far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Seems like it's hard to do both! Strange!
    I will probably go all hell blazing filling out forms etc. and not do the final bit....am so busy, the voting right goes out the window.

Am sure this has been asked before, but if you're sending a payslip to an address, is this not proof enough the person lives there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Apply to the courts? Do they not drop a flyer in the letterbox saying 'we called and please fill out this form to register'?

I don't think registering to vote involves going to the courts, I just checked on www.checktheregister.ie for a relative of mine who lives in Co. Laois and it says that you can download form RFA1 and ask to be added to the draft register....

http://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA1_English_Form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What is the process in getting off it?!

I haven't voted in years and will hopefully be out of the country in the next few.

That's not correct.

You don't need to apply to the courts at all. You use one of the forms on checktheregister.ie If after the register is prepared you can get on the supplementary register.
    Holsten wrote:
    What is the process in getting off it?!

I haven't voted in years and will hopefully be out of the country in the next few.

If you don't live in Ireland, you'll eventually fall of the register. There is no formal way of getting off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What about the deletion section on this form?

Can you not just fill in your details section 2 and have them removed?

Holsten wrote: »
    What about the deletion section on this form?

Can you not just fill in your details section 2 and have them removed?

You could do but it won't stop you being re-registered again. If the goal is to opt out of ever being on the register - say as a matter of principle - then there is no way doing this by filling out a single form.

Advertisement