Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Bike shops in Ireland .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Humphries Cycle Shop
    Mc Kee Road,
    Finglas East,
    Dublin 11.

A proper bike shop and an importer distributor for cycle frames/parts etc.

They build bikes, service and repair any bikes.

Good service and friendly to boot. Ask for Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

cycle superstore in tallaght and there is one in wexford town that ive been in a few times there really the only 2 shops ive had good advice on stuff found cycleways and cyclogic not 2 be great at all in my personal experience

to daveyrovers if ur lookin 4 good running shoes the 2 older men in arrnots at brill if u bring in ur old pair of runners they can tell what way the foot lands and wat the bet runner would be 2 suit that.i do alot of running myself and its the only place ill buy my runners there top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

In the mid-west i would recommend Siopa Rothar in John Street in Limerick City, small shop but nice service bought my first bmx (raleigh burner) in 1980, The Bike Shop on O'Connell Ave has a big selection but Joe is a tad expensive, does repairs etc. Found cycling pursuits on the dock road a bit snotty the few times i had been in, slagging off "brand" bikes like Trek etc, we can not all afford Terry Dolans y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

ya very few good bike shops in Dublin that I know of. Anyone remember Paddy Walshs in Harrolds X? And there used to be a class shop for BMX parts in Churchtown, near the Glenside pub. Ah, dem were the days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Rebel6

Im looking to buy a decent quality bike in west cork, new or second hand....where is the best place to look? Cork city would be as far as id travel to buy!!
    If anyone has one for sale or knows someone? im 6'1 so would want a decent size one. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hillclimber

Hi rebel6 , Speedyspokes in Riverstick would be your best bet. Brian, also of Douglas cycles has just opened it. Very helpfull and knows his stuff. Avoid Halfords like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

i have always found stagg cycles in lucan the place to go, they have always done good by me in terms of repairs and they also sponsor the Galway Cycle, a charity cycle run by maynooth students for charity:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Rebel6

Went to 5 bike shops in the city today and most of them said it would be at least a month before they got more stock.....any second hand bikes for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hillclimber

Try gumtree.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DrGroove

Bruce11 wrote: »
    Humphries Cycle Shop
    Mc Kee Road,
    Finglas East,
    Dublin 11.

A proper bike shop and an importer distributor for cycle frames/parts etc.

They build bikes, service and repair any bikes.

Good service and friendly to boot. Ask for Derek.

I would positively vote for this shop as a complete rookie who walked in last year wanting to buy a road bike and I've been going back since.

Great shop, great knowledge, and friendly service - you couldn't ask for more and I am delighted because I've been living in Dublin nearly 20 years and in that time I've been to plenty of bike shops - but this is the best. IMHO

So for the Northsider's - make sure to check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

Think Bike in Rathmines are legends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rebel6 wrote: »
    Went to 5 bike shops in the city today and most of them said it would be at least a month before they got more stock.....any second hand bikes for sale?
    There is usually a shortage of decently priced secondhand bikes.
    September when the bike hire places sell off bikes is good, Garda auctions are good.

keep an eye on adverts.ie or place a want ad there saying what size and type and budget you have.

- best to start a new thread and not Hijack an existing one
    - how did you rate the 5 shops you visited

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Think Bike in Rathmines are legends.

Went in there for the fist time about a month ago. Was looking for some bolts and spacers for my disc brakes and they gave them to me for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Glitterangel76

After reading all the comments on Friday, I was quite apprehensive going into town on Saturday to look for a cycle helmet...

I ended up going into to Cyclelogical, and I was a little anxious...mostly from what other boarders had written.. but then I remembered what the guy who worked in a cycle shop said. So I held my head up high and guess what...they were lovely, very friendly but it was the oldish guy in there who made my day. He was so helpful and friendly.
    He suggested other places to try and that he could order the helmet for me if I didn't want to order on the internet. He didn't make me feel silly for asking about a girl helmet :D. We even had a chat about my home town Liverpool.
    The other assistant was kinda laughing at me but in a good way (I was looking to buy a Skyla helmet and I think he found the idea of flowers on a helmet entertaining, well thats what I would like to think :)).

The cycle store/concession within in Arnotts is also good, this is where i discovered curtosy of an oldish guy working in there, that there are all the different types of helmets available (such as the skyla) and again I wasn't made to feel silly, when I didn't like the looks of the other helmets/detachable peak things... (Its not like I wanted a overly girly one, I just wanted something nice to protect my noggin).
    Saying that when I went back in on saturday to see if they had them in stock, yer man in there, didn't have a clue what I was talking about...but he did point me in the direction of Cyclelogical.

As a newbie and a commuter cyclist, I feel intimidating walking into the other cycle shops, but these made me feel relaxed. (i wish the staff members I dealt with had worn badges so I could have sung their praises :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I'm in the market for a bike (being using a Brompton on and off for a while, but want to get a full-size bike now that I have room to keep it for regular city commuting), and must admit, was put off by the first shop I went to today. No order to the bikes, no label, no prices. I wandered around for about 10 minutes nosing around, with no clue as to what I was looking for, then left, none of the assistants saying as much as boo to me. If there's any newbie-friendly shops in town or D4, let me know.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I went to Stagg's in Lucan yesterday.
    Just had a quick look and then asked for advice from the guys there.
    Found them to be really good - loads of great advice; talked to me to see what my needs were and made suggestions based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

oceanclub wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a bike (being using a Brompton on and off for a while, but want to get a full-size bike now that I have room to keep it for regular city commuting), and must admit, was put off by the first shop I went to today. No order to the bikes, no label, no prices. I wandered around for about 10 minutes nosing around, with no clue as to what I was looking for, then left, none of the assistants saying as much as boo to me. If there's any newbie-friendly shops in town or D4, let me know.

P.

Hi P.

I work part-time in the bike shop in arrnotts. Pop in and say hello. We're all newbie friendly! If I'm working on the day you might recognise me from your distant past :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ivor_Schlong

Humphries Cycles in Finglas for me aswell

most shops i was in tried to sell me the earth when i didnt even need it

i went into this shop and got super advise and didnt try sell me things i didnt need

very friendly too

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

I had a very good experience in Cyclelogical yesterday. Bought a couple of jerseys, got really attentive service, a discount on my purchases and.......wait for it......an ice pop! Now c'mon guys, that's not bad!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Soccerchipie

Stag cycles is a rip off..... price fixing with hollingsworth and a number of other well known outlets on specific brands............ steer clear
    Lazairus wrote: »
    Cyclists of Ireland

Apparently there is a shop , Stagg cycles is rated as one of the best shop in Ireland , So consider value for money and variety , in your experience what is the best shops in Ireland???

• Advertisement

Good advice.... but a bit of a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not too sure on the rip off piece.

The specialized I am getting there is higher priced in Cycleways...
    How does this make it a rip off?

So far I have only had good experiences there - called in once on my own, again with my wife for a bike fit - and they were really great in getting back with availability.
    Compared to service I experienced elsewhere I have nothing to complain about. - and as to rip off - see pricing comment above.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stag cycles is a rip off..... price fixing with hollingsworth and a number of other well known outlets on specific brands............ steer clear

Evidence?

Got a quote from Hollingsworth on Thursday 25th June €300 cheaper than Stagg. had to use Stagg for the Bike to work scheme so challenged him to match the price. Call from Stagg on Monday 29th June to say Hollingworth can no longer offer that price.... sure enough hollingworth website updated to Stagg price and when I rang Hollingworth.. told that no stock left and new prices apply..... go figure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

attachment.php?attachmentid=83930&stc=1&d=1246359115

Taltos wrote: »
    Not too sure on the rip off piece.

The specialized I am getting there is higher priced in Cycleways...
    How does this make it a rip off?

So far I have only had good experiences there - called in once on my own, again with my wife for a bike fit - and they were really great in getting back with availability.
    Compared to service I experienced elsewhere I have nothing to complain about. - and as to rip off - see pricing comment above.

How much didi you pay for the Specialized..... did Stagg apply the £=€ offer on specialized bikes as advertised on their website????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I bought my mountain bike from Freemans on Bath Ave. They were helpful

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

My two cents would be for buckleycycles in Athlone.
    Largest range of makes ive seen and very competitive prices. Owner is a bang on guy, very friendly, knows his stuff and unlike some places wont push a sale on you.
    Currently have a sale on....ended up picking up a 6month old Giant FCR 3 for €400. (although i was sorely tempted by the Sirrus Sport at €430).

Alot better then what Galway had to offer at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Tomm0

I absolutely don't know much about cycling or what you should expect from a shop, but I'm happy to give a big thumbs up to 2Wheels, a new store which opened up a couple of weeks ago in Sandymount.

Mrs Tomm0 bought a bike from there last week - they were easy to talk to, couldn't do enough for her but weren't remotely pushy.

I didn't do masses of research, but their prices seemed reasonable.

They give the impression of being cycling enthusiasts who are trying to make a living out of their hobby.

Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Don't have much experience of bike shops, but happened to pop into cycleways yesterday as I was in the city centre on a fruitless search for lycra shorts for running. End up speaking with the owner.I pointed out that I was thinking of training for some triatlons next year so had made no real decision on style of bike or budget, and that I was only in for a browse on passing. He couldn't have been more helpful, put me under no pressure (although was very tempted by a Specialized Tarmac 2009 Comp Bike) and If I go ahead with it, I would be inclined to go back.

Advertisement