Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three.ie being sneaky with their allowance

• 07-11-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I've been a Three mobile broadband customer for years. I live in a very rural area and was delighted when the national broadband scheme came about and upped the allowance to 40gigs a month instead of the 20g we got before that, even though I never got near using 20gigs, unless I really tried!! Recently though they've done away with the NBS and have cut our allowance down to 15gigs for the same price as we were paying for 20! That's not the sneaky thing though....
    I've noticed that even though I have nearly two weeks left of my allowance, somehow i have 10gigs used already, with fairly light use. I have a feeling that Three.ie is making us burn through our allowance faster so we'll upgrade to their next package, which is 34.99 for 60gigs. Not an isolated case either, a friend of mine couldn't connect to her internet and when we checked her allowance, it was all used up with a week to go until it topped up again, and she had gone 1.3gigs over her limit, they're charging her €75 for that 1.3gigs plus €20 for the original 15gigs!
    Treating long standing customers like this is a bit below the belt and were both considering leaving Three.ie for a more reasonable alternative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I have a feeling that Three.ie is making us burn through our allowance faster so we'll upgrade to their next package
    That's a pretty serious allegation to be making, and pretty easily verifiable, so it would be insane for Three to do it. Record your own usage and you'll soon know

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm currently with their 60GB package and I had a similar experience of data allowance getting used up.

I've had my router having handled only 54GB for that month (I reset it's counter on every monthly reset), and yet somehow I've gone over the cap into 60.35GB. My connection is strictly through that router, and I don't use it anywhere else but at my house... so I seriously don't understand how 6GB was magically used up when my router says otherwise... :|

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots of providers do byte rounding, that could account for some usage.

Also remember three count on every 30 DAYS not every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm currently with their 60GB package and I had a similar experience of data allowance getting used up.

I've had my router having handled only 54GB for that month (I reset it's counter on every monthly reset), and yet somehow I've gone over the cap into 60.35GB. My connection is strictly through that router, and I don't use it anywhere else but at my house... so I seriously don't understand how 6GB was magically used up when my router says otherwise... :|
    Possible reasons:
    • Does your router track downloads and uploads?
    • Does it measure in Gibibytes (1024^3 bytes) or Gigabytes (1000^3 bytes)?
    • As ED E mentioned, are you sure you're measuring the same days that Three are measuring?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Possible reasons:
    • Does your router track downloads and uploads?
    • Does it measure in Gibibytes (1024^3 bytes) or Gigabytes (1000^3 bytes)?
    • As ED E mentioned, are you sure you're measuring the same days that Three are measuring?

1. Yup
    2. Not sure, it shows it in MB or GB... but the current download / upload rate is measured in "MBits/s".
    3. I'm well aware of the day it resets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is the NBS being renewed now or what?

Is the NBS being renewed now or what?

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

I'm going to pull this thread back from the brink because I'm still suspicious of Threes allowance. I have another example of data getting used up quicker than it used to be and I'm sure there are others out there that have also noticed this. My dad has Three PAYG broadband (€15 month = 1gb) and it only lasts him 3 weeks before he has to top up again. Now, 1gb isn't much, but he has this service the last 18months and never once used up even half of it, now it's all going in 3 weeks! And all he looks up is Facebook!
    Surely somebody else on here has noticed their data disappearing quicker?

I'm going to tackle the Three section on Boards to see how they'll fob me off and tell me i'm only imagining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm going to pull this thread back from the brink because I'm still suspicious of Threes allowance. I have another example of data getting used up quicker than it used to be and I'm sure there are others out there that have also noticed this. My dad has Three PAYG broadband (€15 month = 1gb) and it only lasts him 3 weeks before he has to top up again. Now, 1gb isn't much, but he has this service the last 18months and never once used up even half of it, now it's all going in 3 weeks! And all he looks up is Facebook!
    Surely somebody else on here has noticed their data disappearing quicker?

I'm going to tackle the Three section on Boards to see how they'll fob me off and tell me i'm only imagining it.

Facebook now auto-plays all videos in your timeline (with sound muted), it's a big data-guzzler and pain in the ass. Tell him to go to the link below to turn it off:
    https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=videos

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I too seem to be having issues with my usage going quicker than usual.

I get 15GB per month, before I'd never go over 12 or 13GB max, I keep track of it every 2nd day, and my month starts on the 6th of each.

According to Three's website, I've used 11.5GB in 19 days, so I'm now left with fúck all for the remaining 11 days!

This has been happening for the last 4 months.

If you're contacting Three on their boards.ie page, feel free to copy & paste this text from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Anyone want to fund an accurate test?

(I'll do it for 30 grand plus expenses ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Top/IP overheads could account for it? I would have thought approx 5-10% maybe?

Also dropped packets between the router and masts would possibly be counted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm going to pull this thread back from the brink because I'm still suspicious of Threes allowance. I have another example of data getting used up quicker than it used to be and I'm sure there are others out there that have also noticed this. My dad has Three PAYG broadband (€15 month = 1gb) and it only lasts him 3 weeks before he has to top up again. Now, 1gb isn't much, but he has this service the last 18months and never once used up even half of it, now it's all going in 3 weeks! And all he looks up is Facebook!.

Does he have automatic updates on? He should do (for safety sake), but didn't M$FT drop a massive patch package early this month? Also Adobe patches can be sizeable too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If he's on FB, its likely autoplay videos.

This is getting ridiculous. According to my dongle and 3's website I've used 5GB since yesterday even though my phone says I only used 125mb yesterday and I had my laptop only on for 2 hours using basic internet. Anyone else having this issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

There's definitely something up a I have the same problem. I have the 60G for €34 for the last couple of years and never got near the limit. Since June this year we have been hitting the limit constantly and had bills up to €110 for exceeding it. We are getting max download speeds of 1.5mb/sec so it's almost useless.

There's definitely something up as I have the same problem. I have the 60G for €34 for the last couple of years and never got near the limit. Since June this year we have been hitting the limit constantly and had bills up to €110 for exceeding it. We are getting max download speeds of 1.5mb/sec so it's almost useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

This is disgraceful carry on from Three and they've a lot of explaining to do.

I live in the town so I can get a relatively quality connection but I noticed that it tends to be Three's customers who live rural and Three is their only option that get affected by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

U should change the wifi password in case someone else is using it

I've been using a dongle for the last two months and with 6 days to go I've only 4GB left on my allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

I'm having this problem too.There's definitely something going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

do you have facebook on you and your family's phones? using a 3g wifi hub device in your home? if yes go into the facebook app settings > video > disable video autoplay.

it will kill your allowance if there is 20+ hd videos trying to preview play at the same time. video autoplay also eats phone credit when you are out n about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Just get a 3pay sim with 20 euro topup and put that into the dongle/router. Problem solved. You now have unlimited data for 20yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Just get a 3pay sim with 20 euro topup and put that into the dongle/router. Problem solved. You now have unlimited data for 20yoyos.

Not according their terms

Three continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods). Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service.

i dont think phone sims work in dongles

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

I'm glad I'm not on my own with this problem. I tackled Three on their forum about this but got fobbed off with Facebook autoplay excuses. They also said that they can't manipulate customers allowance to use it up faster but to be honest I don't believe them. When I was on the NBS a couple of months ago my Internet usage reflected the allowance usage but as soon as the NBS was done away with my allowance seems to be frittering away even when my Internet is switched off! Something fishy definitely going on!

I'm glad I'm not on my own with this problem. I tackled Three on their forum about this but got fobbed off with Facebook autoplay excuses. They also said that they can't manipulate customers allowance to use it up faster but to be honest I don't believe them. When I was on the NBS a couple of months ago my Internet usage reflected the allowance usage but as soon as the NBS was done away with my allowance seems to be frittering away even when my Internet is switched off! Something fishy definitely going on!

most ips usage graphs are delayed by 24hours and not realtime

if u turn off your dongle you have to wait another 48hours to pass to see the drop in usage (24 hours for the day you had it on then 24hours to see it was off)

This is what I plan on doing. I know of a guy who does this and it works as far as I know. Has anyone on here tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

i dont think phone sims work in dongles

They do.
    paconnors wrote: »
    Not according their terms

Three continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods). Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service.

They claim to, but I've done it myself for longish periods and have mates still doing it.
    Three never cut any of us off or trottled our speeds.

Was sharing a house with 4 lads and we were all using an old samsung as a WiFi hotspot for a month and a half and besides the fast that it was pretty slow if someone was streaming or downloading we never had an issue.

Mate worked for 3 and in a salestraining thing they told him, straight up "nobody has ever had their data cut off for using more than 15gb on PAYG, it's not worth the effort to monitor it that closely" and they nolonger have a 15gb "fair usage" policy anyway, it was done away with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement