Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I bought myself a subscription for CyberGhost VPN and tried tons of servers but each time, the download and upload is reduced dramatically down to <10mb/s. I'd be lucky to hit 10 when using VPN. Am I missing something? My internet speed without VPN is roughly between 85 and 95 down and 70+ up.

70+ Up???

Who are you with?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I use a Linux VPS, which I have transmission Webgui installed, authenticated via IP, I can access content directly with Subsonic which transcodes from the VPS or I can sftp the data over securely.

I use the VPS for other stuff, such as openVPN, wordpress, etc.

So i'm not opening up my own network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

70+ Up???

Who are you with?

No idea, it's the college internet that they provide for on-campus accommodation residents in UL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    No idea, it's the college internet that they provide for on-campus accommodation residents in UL

If it's an educational institute then it's more than likely HEAnet.

If it's an educational institute then it's more than likely HEAnet.

Actually no, scratch that, HEAnet I think is only for Secondary/Primary Schools.

• Advertisement

Actually no, scratch that, HEAnet I think is only for Secondary/Primary Schools.

Isnt HEAnet the backbone of the net here in Ireland.

Most College Campuses are connected to it and it hosts many Linux distros.

NoDrama wrote: »

Not sure but I know that HEAnet is the Irish server when you download Ubuntu/Linux Distros.

They also provide internet to schools under their broadband for schools scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NoDrama wrote: »

Just for campuses. They run a ring network, mostly via ESB, around the country. Dublin, Wexford, Cork, Galway, Sligo, Donegal, Belfast, Dublin. And a few other places. Trinity has one of the main links(10Gbps). Its a very good resource and they join up with their European counterparts.

Just did a SpeedTest there without VPN and it asked me if I was using HEAnet so I guess that's the ISP UL uses

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

If this is the wrong thread can a mod point me elsewhere, thanks.

Has Eircom blocked dragonducatis

Seems to have stopped responding for some reason, without any message from the ISP (ala PirateBay). Torrents themselves are fine, I'm still seeding OK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

thefloss wrote: »

Has Eircom blocked https://kickass.to/ ?
    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/kickass.to.html

Seems to have stopped responding for some reason, without any message from the ISP (ala PirateBay). Torrents themselves are fine, I'm still seeding OK...

Yes, I believe some ISPs are voluntarily blocking well know torrent sites besides the court ordered The Pirate Bay. I have seen Kickass blocked on Eircom and Digiweb but it is not blocked currently by UPC or Vodafone

It still works fine on Vodafone.

Really hope they don't just start randomly blocking sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

It still works fine on Vodafone.

Really hope they don't just start randomly blocking sites!

I got confirmation from a buddy in Limerick last night that it's also blocked on UPC :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I got confirmation from a buddy in Limerick last night that it's also blocked on UPC :-/

Officially maybe, but it is very easily accessed regardless of the blocks with no effort at all.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Yeah, it has been for a good while.

I don't understand them blocking it, there will always be ways around it and there will always be people who pirate.

One that always comes to my mind when I think about those mirror website literally has the phrase can't block me in the URL.

ISPs can keep trying but they're not gonna get anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just google for "name of your favourite torrent site" + "unblock" in the same search. They keep blocking the proxies so just keep finding a new one.

For example:

<SNIP>
    got blocked

So then you would use

<SNIP>

But that got blocked too...
    <SNIP>

And when that gets blocked just use google to find the new proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Once something gets blocked these days I just assume it must be a good one and like others find alternative routes to getting myself there.
    I hadn't heard of some of my favourite sites until they were blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have UPC throttled speeds on utorrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

RasTa wrote: »
    Have UPC throttled speeds on utorrents?

I'm on 200/20 upc package and have noticed over the last 48 hours huge drops in download speeds from a private tracker I regularly use.

Wired result taken right now...

w3puZBj.jpg

Can any UPC users check this please? Hope its temporary:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

livEwirE wrote: »
    I'm on 200/20 upc package and have noticed over the last 48 hours huge drops in download speeds from a private tracker I regularly use.
    Some private trackers are getting hit quite a lot with DDOS attacks. Have you tested with other trackers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Some private trackers are getting hit quite a lot with DDOS attacks. Have you tested with other trackers?
    Speeds seem to be improving today maybe it was a temporary glitch. I'm sure if upc were shaping traffic there would be widespread coverage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

I'm looking for some help speeding up my torrents. I'm on 7mb eircom, using a netopia router and on my laptop I generally use the wireless connection.

Since my upgrade to 7mb broadband (from 3mb) I've seen an increase to 400kb/s download, maximum, but it's not always that high.

Is there any way to improve this without changing provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

First do a speedtest and see what your actual speed is. Do this test via cable not via wifi first. Then do it via wifi to see if that is causing slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

doubie wrote: »
    I'm looking for some help speeding up my torrents. I'm on 7mb eircom, using a netopia router and on my laptop I generally use the wireless connection.

Since my upgrade to 7mb broadband (from 3mb) I've seen an increase to 400kb/s download, maximum, but it's not always that high.

400KB/s is 3.2Mbps, about half your connection. As you're on a 7Mb package now you're probably on a rural exchange. Try download a *well* seeded torrent at 3AM. Should go up to almost 700KB/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

doubie wrote: »

Looks at torrent downloading at 9 Megabytes per second.......Looks at UPC modem.....start humming to myself...."Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna turn around and desert you!!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

TPB has been back up since the end of Jan. On the old .se domain and all, yet Eircom are blocking it no more, seemingly. Weird, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There is quite a bit of speculation that the site is a honeypot engineered to snare us into giving them our IPs and download record.

There is quite a bit of speculation that the site is a honeypot engineered to snare us into giving them our IPs and download record.

Rumour of that has been going around. Frankly, it's rather bullshít as what are they gonna do to us about our downloading record? Nothing. There's no law that states that we can be arrested for illegally downloading movies on the torrenting websites.

It is illegal to pirate stuff so that's a different case all together but LE are wasting their time running TPB imo

• Advertisement

I don't think there's much they can do about an Irish user pirating really.

Advertisement