Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eircom dead now that upc announce new speeds and cheaper prices

• 05-05-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

could this be the final nail in the coffin for eircom broadband?i think so..they will have to play some ace card to beat what upc offer from now on after their announcement..pity they are not rolling out that broadband in clare yet as i just rang them and they have no release date yet.:mad:wonder how many more will leave eircom now after this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'd leave eircom in a second if UPC offered their service in my estate in Mullingar, the fastest connection I can receive via eircom is 3mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

me too im on 8mb ngb and its ok but bit expensive.....upc seems only in dublin tho which is shame but they seem to be rolling it out all over bit by bit....so as soon as it comes to my region ill be switching.wonder how eircom will respond tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

upc seems only in dublin

Not so - also in Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, and many other smaller towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

could this be the final nail in the coffin for eircom broadband?i think so..they will have to play some ace card to beat what upc offer from now on after their announcement..

Actually this will probably see more customers take up new connections with Eircom then UPC.

Most people just want a broadband connection and UPC have now priced them selves out of that market as Eircom can now offer more services for less.

I can get a phone line and broadband with eircom for less then €40 (for first 6 months) but with UPC their cheapest internet start at €43.

Currently I am on an old 8meg connection from UPC with and with their line rental charge of €7.50 we are currently paying €30 odd euro for broadband. If we had to go to the new price points though I would probably drop UPC for Eircom as I don't need the extra speed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah, people forget speed isn't the be all and end all of what consumers want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Yeah, people forget speed isn't the be all and end all of what consumers want.

No its not but fast speed coupled with extemely competitive pricing is what the large majority want and its what UPC offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Hogzy wrote: »
    No its not but fast speed coupled with extemely competitive pricing is what the large majority want and its what UPC offer.
    Yeah, but the point I was making was that at 42.odd euro as the very basic bb option, upc wouldn't damage eircom at all.
    It looks now that the price is actually 35 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Even though 100mb is incredible, it does cost E80 a month or E87.75 a month if you don't have TV with them and that's of course on top of TV and phone costs.

Edit: plus a once off E80 connection fee that applies to all first time fibre optic users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It is strange that UPC seem to be setting 25Mbps (at €35 plus €7.50) as it's entry level package, which puts the price of basic broadband higher than most of the competition. I'd imagine they will keep some sort of 10Mbps product on their books still, at around €20. Otherwise, they will lose out on customers that just want cheap Internet access, and are not too bothered about the speed.

I see that UPC have increased their customer base by some 30,000 in the last few months, and I'd imagine that every one of these was an eircom customer up until now. I can't see them risking this kind of growth by pricing themselves out of the budget market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Lads there will be more news coming about entry level product on Monday. UPC haven't priced themselves out of the low end, just wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And yes, I do think Eircom is in serious trouble.

I think Eircom will have no choice but to make "upto" 24Mb/s the standard speed for all customers, with different caps at different price points.

It still won't really be competitive, but it is the only way they can keep reasonably close to UPC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Even though 100mb is incredible, it does cost E80 a month or E87.75 a month if you don't have TV with them and that's of course on top of TV and phone costs.

Edit: plus a once off E80 connection fee that applies to all first time fibre optic users.

100meg is €65 + €7.75.

From twitter, mentioned stana alone charge in a later tweet.
    "Prices for BB only: 25MB: €35, 50MB: €45, 100MB: €65."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 the beezneez

F1ngers wrote: »
    100meg is €65 + €7.75.

From twitter, mentioned stana alone charge in a later tweet.
    "Prices for BB only: 25MB: €35, 50MB: €45, 100MB: €65."
    but the 100 meg with digital max tv home phone and freetime world is only 85 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

bk wrote: »
    Lads there will be more news coming about entry level product on Monday. UPC haven't priced themselves out of the low end, just wait and see.

Going to take a wild stab in the dark and say.....Anyone on Analogue/basic Digital who does not have BB/Phone with UPC will be offered an entry level BB (5-10megs,with DL of 30gigs or less) for free or a nominal amount.....but this is UPC and who knows:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Eircom have capacity constraints in many areas, particularly the smaller exchanges that are not part of the core ethernet network. There are threads here about people who can't even order 7 instead of 3 mbps due to capacity constraints in the exchange.

Even if an exchange is "NGB" enabled, they'll have to replace quite a lot of equipment or upgrade the equipment with firmware etc. This wouldn't be so unlikely to happen but for the fact that eircom is serverely over leveraged and needs to pay off or restructure debt asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

In my own personal opinion I think, as there will surely be, a large drive to upgrade the country's infrastructure generally. This should benefit all networks.

Eircom are the big players down the country it seems, but I feel this won't be forever. Eircom really are a very messy company and are stabbing themselves a lot of the time.

I moved from Eircom because I could, but I doubt many will stick if they are able to shift.
    Sure, pricing isn't too bad but you're not getting the best deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

In my own personal opinion I think, as there will surely be, a large drive to upgrade the country's infrastructure generally. This should benefit all networks.
    Ideally, we'd have a nationwide fibre-to-the-home rollout to every single Irish household, funded by the state, owned by the state and fully operated and maintained by the state.
    Private companies like Eircom, UPC, Digiweb could then buy wholesale bandwidth in bulk and push what they liked to each household - IPTV, telephone, true broadband, film rentals on demand...

Will it happen? Who knows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So what's in store for the basic of basic users like myself? I don't own a TV and don't need a phone line, I just need broadband as I do everything from my laptop. I'm currently on eircom NGB 8mb (I think it's 8mb) and it's absolutely fine, as long as I can stream the likes of RTE player, youtube etc, I don't really need anything faster. Before this I was on Irishbroadband so it's a huge leap in itself.

Ideally I wouldn't want to pay more than €25 a month for this type of broadband but with eircoms line rental and the fact that UPC isn't in my area (I'm in Dun Laoghaire, you'd imagine they would be here), seems I don't have much of a choice.

So €25pm for 8mb broadband, no tv, no phone, no "package", just broadband... possible?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't see them dropping their low end package, it rules out a lot of valuable customers for them. They really need to start rolling out to new areas though Their lack of availability and TV services will probably be the only thing that will hold them back in the future, it certainly won't be their broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Heh ... UPC Keep sending me letter to upgrade from the 30meg package to 60 meg :)

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

67 euro / month for 120meg down and 10 meg up here in the Netherlands :D

The Network card in my laptop is one 100mbit ffs !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

cormie wrote: »
    So what's in store for the basic of basic users like myself? I don't own a TV and don't need a phone line, I just need broadband as I do everything from my laptop. I'm currently on eircom NGB 8mb (I think it's 8mb) and it's absolutely fine, as long as I can stream the likes of RTE player, youtube etc, I don't really need anything faster. Before this I was on Irishbroadband so it's a huge leap in itself.

Ideally I wouldn't want to pay more than €25 a month for this type of broadband but with eircoms line rental and the fact that UPC isn't in my area (I'm in Dun Laoghaire, you'd imagine they would be here), seems I don't have much of a choice.

So €25pm for 8mb broadband, no tv, no phone, no "package", just broadband... possible?

Well I really hope UPC dont drop this package on Monday, but €25 + €7.75 standalone charge for 10Mb with 120GB cap, I'm guessing yours is 8Mb with 10GB cap?

I'm actually currently on this eircom deal (expired) which is brilliant value and I've a few months left of the offer but once that time is up, I'll have to then pay the line rental bringing the total price up to be a bit too expensive so if UPC can come to my area introducing a package for €25 or so with the same speeds, I'd jump at it. I've been waiting for them for about 2 years though, they are available less than a km away from me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I'm smack bang in the middle of Skerries but we have no access to UPC.

UPC can't tell me when they will be here either.

So, Eircom appears to be the only game in town. I'm not unhappy with Eircom but would appreciate some choice in the matter. :(

I believe UPC will be upgrading Dun Laoghaire for Broadband over the next year.

UPC's cheapest BB product is 10MB 120GB cap €25 (€32.75 if you don't take TV service). This is the cheapest and best value for money entry level wired BB product in Ireland. You won't get cheaper.

If you can't get UPC, then the next best is Vodafone (available anywhere you can get Eircom as they use Eircoms network):
    8mb BB + 40GB cap + phone + free off peak calls for €40

Thanks for that BK, now when you say upgrading Dun Laoghaire, do you mean upgrading those who can already access UPC, or expanding so those who currently can't get it should be able some time over the next year? What's involved in upgrading, will they need to dig up the roads to lay some cables and all that I wonder?

Every time I rang UPC before it was always expected that Dun Laoghaire would be updated soon, how realistic do you think it is that it will actually happen? Any dates or schedules planned at all I wonder? Would be nice if it was available by the time my current eircom deal runs out ;)

Eircom are dying by the way they do business. But UPC broadband is so much superior its not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Met the UPC engineers on the street the other day. Asked if they were planning on doing any upgrade works to the area (Camden St D2). They said they were there to survey the equipment needed for full upgrade.

The thought of ringing eircom to cancel my €55 3mb line with a 30Gb cap gives me waves of euphoria ;-)

Have 30Mb UPC in work and it is really solid and consistently so.

Leave eircom at the first chance you have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

.....upc seems only in dublin tho which is shame but they seem to be rolling it out all over bit by bit....

Cable TV areas:

Link to big map : http://www.upc.ie/media/2009/6/30/map_ireland.jpg

UPC are in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Sligo ... a lot of areas that have always had cable television.

It's generally not widely available outside of large urban areas. However, there's a good possibility that they will be able to build-out networks very quickly in any towns that have MANs and decent alternative fibre connectivity and there are a surprising number of quite small towns that have that infrastructure in place, and in many cases, nobody is using it at present.

Towns and cities with MANs:

The major cities and many of the large towns listed already have cable TV and have had for decades. However, there are many commuter towns / suburban towns outside Cork, Dublin, Galway etc etc which should have been cabled, but weren't. So, the use of MANs will definitely make UPC's life easier.

Towns with MAN networks (Source ENet.ie NB: Phases are enet build phases, not UPC phases)
    Phase 1 Towns:
    Athlone
    Ballina
    Belmullet
    Carlow Town
    Carrickmacross
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Cavan Town
    Clonmel
    Cork City
    Dundalk
    Dungarvan
    Drogheda
    Galway City
    Gweedore
    Kingscourt
    Kilkenny City
    Kiltimagh
    Letterkenny
    Limerick City
    Manorhamilton
    Monaghan Town
    Mullingar
    Portlaoise
    Roscommon Town
    Sligo Town
    Tullamore
    Waterford City
    Wexford Town.

Phase 2 Towns:
    Abbeyfeale
    Ardee
    Athenry
    Bailieborough
    Ballinasloe
    Ballinrobe
    Ballybofey
    Ballyshannon
    Banagher
    Bantry
    Birr
    Blarney (Cork commuter/suburban)
    Blessington
    Buncrana
    Bundoran
    Cahir
    Carndonagh
    Carrick-on-Suir
    Carrigaline (Cork commuter/suburban)
    Cashel
    Castleblaney
    Castleisland
    Charleville
    Claremorris
    Clifden
    Clonee
    Clones
    Cootehill
    Donabate (Dublin commuter/suburban)
    Donegal Town
    Dunboyne
    Dunmanway
    Dunshaughlin
    Edenderry
    Fermoy
    Gort
    Kanturk
    Kells
    Kilcoole
    Killarney
    Kilrush
    Kinsale
    Knock (Airport)
    Listowel
    Longford Town
    Loughrea
    Lusk
    Midleton (Cork commuter/suburban)
    Mitchelstown
    Navan
    Nenagh
    Newcastle West
    Newtownmountkennedy
    Passage West (Cork commuter/suburban)
    Portrane (Dublin commuter/suburban)
    Ringaskiddy (Cork commuter/suburban)
    Roscrea
    Skerries (Dublin commuter/suburban)
    Skibbereen
    Stranorlar
    Templemore
    Thomastown
    Tipperary Town
    Tralee
    Trim
    Youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Eircom Free Speed Upgrade to Ultimate NGB (up to 24Mb) at no extra cost and no new contract. "You can expect speeds up to 15 Mb". So where does the 24 Mb come in? And a new modem for free as well if needed!! Not bad all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for that BK, now when you say upgrading Dun Laoghaire, do you mean upgrading those who can already access UPC, or expanding so those who currently can't get it should be able some time over the next year? What's involved in upgrading, will they need to dig up the roads to lay some cables and all that I wonder?

Every time I rang UPC before it was always expected that Dun Laoghaire would be updated soon, how realistic do you think it is that it will actually happen? Any dates or schedules planned at all I wonder? Would be nice if it was available by the time my current eircom deal runs out ;)

http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png
    That map has been on their website for a while now, I don't know if its outdated, but check it out anyway

Advertisement