Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Use your butcher

Options
  • 04-11-2004 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

"A butcher that you trust"

For a start use a good craft butcher, a good indication is when your butcher is used by some of the better chefs in the area, if you like what you get when you go out for a meal don't be afraid to ask where the meat came from, they will most likely tell you especially if it is sourced locally.

Most people do not use their butchers properly, i.e. they go in and ask for a pound of steak/ round steak mince etc.

What you should do is tell your butcher what you want to do, for how many people and let him select and prepare the meat. You may not end up with what you thought you wanted!

Most people think that spending lots means that you get what you need by default. Often you will find that a different cut, smacked around with a hammer does better job that that t-bone you were going to stew !

You may think you know better than the chap who has been working with meat all of his life, but generally that is just arrogance. A good butcher can really make his presence felt at a meal !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went round a few butchers here in Bray the other day trying to get a loin of pork ... to a man they looked at me a if I'd just landed from another planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Alun wrote:
    Went round a few butchers here in Bray the other day trying to get a loin of pork ... to a man they looked at me a if I'd just landed from another planet.

did you try the guy up at the Boghall shopping centre...beside the surgery....i reckon he is a quality butcher

RuggieBear wrote:
    did you try the guy up at the Boghall shopping centre...beside the surgery....i reckon he is a quality butcher

Not sure where you mean ... is that the shopping centre up at the Killarney Road end of Boghall Road opposite the new Ballywaltrim community centre? Can't remember seeing a surgery there...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Alun wrote:
    Not sure where you mean ... is that the shopping centre up at the Killarney Road end of Boghall Road opposite the new Ballywaltrim community centre? Can't remember seeing a surgery there...

Yep... oppSaint Fergals Church....between the AO Smith Factory and White City! There is a green grocer, butcher, surgery, Advance Vision, Centra, Pharmacy, takeaway joint and a bakery :D

RuggieBear wrote:
    Yep... oppSaint Fergals Church....between the AO Smith Factory and White City! There is a green grocer, butcher, surgery, Advance Vision, Centra, Pharmacy, takeaway joint and a bakery :D
    Must get my eyes tested :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement