Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pepper on Chips?

• 02-11-2004 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in the pub on Sunday night, and a few of my mates got some chips. The loungegirl brought over salt and vinegar. I made a comment to one of the lads how you never get Pepper for your chips these days.

Now, this FREAKED out everyone at the table. They couldn't fathom how anyone could put pepper on their chips. I've always done this, and thought it was really common!

Am I alone in this? Are there others out there who like a bit of pepper on their chips?? Tell me there is!

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pepper *sauce* maybe, but not pepper. Then again, I hate salt and pepper, and don't put them on any food whatsoever, so I'm not the best person to comment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Well to bo honest I never ever use pepper at all :eek: I can't stand it, but I had that sort of reaction in work one lunch time, I said that I didn't put butter on a jam sandwich :eek: just bread and jam !

Each to their own ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When I have chips I like a small bit of salt and some nice milled black pepper.

I'd never touch my chips with that powdered crap they often call pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

seamus wrote:
    Pepper *sauce* maybe:)

Yeah pepper sauce :p on a steak ! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Paprika's really good on chips too. I thought it sounded a bit funny myself when I first saw someone do it but then I tried it and it's really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Garlic Powder or Aromat is also nice on chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

finally someone who likes it, I use pepper on chips rather than salt most of the time and I love it, i mainly eat chips too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Ground black pepper goes well with everything!
    Its especially nice on plain cheese pizza, just load the thing with pepper it rocks.
    I also like it on chips, cause im not a big fan of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Optikus wrote:

Is that the Aromat in the red tin - I love that - used to put it on crisps too - you know when you get a packet of Tayto and they are either really fresh and tangy or tastless. When they are tastless I'd put the red Aromat seasoning on them.

As for the pepper on chips - never tried it but I'd say its nice. I like pepper mostly on boiled vegetables like turnip and carrot and have to have it on soup.

climaxer wrote:
    Is that the Aromat in the red tin - I love that - used to put it on crisps too - you know when you get a packet of Tayto and they are either really fresh and tangy or tastless. When they are tastless I'd put the red Aromat seasoning on them.

As for the pepper on chips - never tried it but I'd say its nice. I like pepper mostly on boiled vegetables like turnip and carrot and have to have it on soup.

I have tryed both the red and the yellow, but prefer the red has more of a stronger taste.. its really nice when cooking with meat too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Optikus wrote:

Yeah, Aromat is lovely on chips and on eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

aw man yes!pepper is the way to go!! used to love it when i got chips in eddie rockets and the likes and got pepper on them. then one day jus started puttin pepper on chips wherever i get them and damn its soo good! everyone always is amazed that i put pepper on my chips and i tell them to try it. have converted quite a few people so far! its not nice on chipper chips though..mainly jus oven chips. mm pub grub!

Optikus wrote:
    I have tryed both the red and the yellow, but prefer the red has more of a stronger taste.. its really nice when cooking with meat too.

I know its addictive really - I find it hard to eat my meat without it now. Its delicious on grilled lamb chops. I'm starving here now - roll on 5:30 and I go home for some food.. I agree the yellow one isn't strong enough.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ahhh yes , at last a pepper apreciation thread ..

Freshly milled black pepper on everything ..

Try it on warm popcorn ...YUMMY !!!!

What is the deal with the yellow one anyway.. i know the red is for meat (i also use it on salads btw) but what exactly is the yellow supposed to compliment.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Think its for Chicken !

+ rep for all pepper lovers !!!

Optikus wrote:
    What is the deal with the yellow one anyway.. i know the red is for meat (i also use it on salads btw) but what exactly is the yellow supposed to compliment.

I agree with Sharkman and think the yellow is for chicken and the red for other meats. The red is actually lovely on chicken too. Plenty of mustard and red seasoning is lovely on chicken.

Seems we're talking about seasonings etc. whats everyone's fav soy sauce - mine is the Kikomon (think thats how its spelt). It is gorgeous for stir frys or on the fried rice I get delivered from the chinese. Not mad on the Goodalls soy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

climaxer wrote:

oh I love black ground pepper on turnip, mash, bacon and brown sauce :p mmmmm
    must check it out on chips.. use it on pretty much everything else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Chilli flakes also go great with almost everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

fragile wrote:
    Chilli flakes also go great with almost everything..

ohh yeah 'specially on pizza!!! mmmmm ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement