Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac n00b tips!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

http://machintsandtips.com/
    This site has some great tips.Site was revamped this week with all past tips available (9500).Rss feeds available to send you their tips when they become available.Check out the video on site to see how it all works.Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

you can make the text bigger with a pdf quicklook document by pressing command and plus

cool feature

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Is there any way to do a screengrab of a DVD Player window without having the DVD footage blocked from the screengrab? I guess that would be breaking some copyright rule or something. Sorry if I shouldn't be posting about this.

I'm trying to get a still shot of a guy's guitar in a music video to find out what pickups are in his guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

You can take screenshots of movies, etc when you're using VLC, might not be helpful but there you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Im trying to format my 2011 MBP. can anyone tell me the best way to do this?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Do you mean reformat your internal Hard Drive?

Boot from your Installation disc and choose Disc Utility from the menu. Then reinstall OSX and then use Migration Assistant to transfer your files from your backup drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I just bought a MacBook Retina a couple of weeks ago. It's my first Mac computer so only ever used windows before. Any tips to enhance my user experience?

I'm not sure that it's even worth replying. Nobody seems to come back to say thanks or report success.

Anyway, give us a clue. What do you want to do on your computer?

Mainly use it for surfing and checking emails. Also play online poker a bit. I think it would be handy to have W7 on it. Just wondering what programs are worth getting, are there any good free games worth downloading or even good paid ones? I have started to take a lot of photos recently so would like to get more into that also.

I guess I am just looking for some tips and tricks that a new user wouldn't know about.

The Hard Drive in a Mac is no more reliable than that in any other consumer product so, if your photos matter, the first addition would be an external Hard Drive for backups (and preferably two). New users don't appear to know this fact or choose to ignore it.

iPhoto is quite good for storing photos but it stores them in a "library" that is not user friendly. Consequently, most "power users" launch Image Capture.app and set it to open automatically when a camera is attached. The images can then be downloaded into a series of appropriately named folders and backed up immediately. They can then be dragged into iPhoto and manipulated, enhanced and labelled there, without affecting the originals that are on your backup drive.

Once you've done that, you can export the images into another folder if you wish. Or/and you could export them as a web page gallery for uploading to your web site.

Although PhotoShop is the defacto standard for manipulating images, it's expensive. Consequently, I tend to use Graphic Converter (shareware) and Pixelmator.

There's also some integration that makes it easy to use images stored in iPhoto for screen savers, desktop backgrounds and to export them directly into Apple Mail for emailing to your friends. I think this integration also extends to apps such as "Pages".

Note: I don't recommend emailing anything but the smallest file size. If your friends plan to print posters, transfer the images via Dropbox instead!

Other stuff:
    I use the shareware TypeIt4Me. You can program it to correct mistakes and to convert shortcut words into whole paragraphs. Bear in mind that MacOSX is integrated so an application such as this will work in almost ALL applications.

(Sorry, I know nothing about Windows 7 or about games.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I came across this maybe of help to some people...

Liameter wrote: »
    Nobody seems to come back to say thanks or report success.

^^^ See what I mean? :rolleyes:

Liameter wrote: »
    ^^^ See what I mean? :rolleyes:

I've not had much of a chance to do much with it as I was back in Ireland for the last 3 weeks. I've installed VMware fusion but I am having difficulty getting my macbook pro to connect to the windows 7 laptop to take the files of it. I will try and give some sort of an update later!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cinderelli

I'm thinking of getting a 15-inch macbook pro with retina display. I'm sure you can't get a student discount on a refurbished mac, but failing that, which deal is better? The student discount is 10-12% off, and a lot of the refurbs are 15% off, but obviously it's not brand new. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You won't have any trouble with a refurb. Bought one last year, and although it doesn't come in the original box, you can't tell its not a brand new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Hi, I somehow managed to enlarge the home screen on the desktop view and don't know how to get it back to normal, any help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

jimbooth wrote: »
      Hi, I somehow managed to enlarge the home screen on the desktop view and don't know how to get it back to normal, any help ?

Edit: apologies, I read that wrong and my original reply meant nothing.
      Do you mean that you've made the icons on the desktop bigger, or the whole screen resolution bigger?

The whole screen, when I move mouse to bottom of screen the taskbar on top moves up out if view. It happened before but I can't remember how I sorted it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

jimbooth wrote: »
      The whole screen, when I move mouse to bottom of screen the taskbar on top moves up out if view. It happened before but I can't remember how I sorted it.:D

System preferences > accessibility > turn off zoom

Zcott wrote: »
      System preferences > accessibility > turn off zoom
      Thanks, knew it was simple :D it was actually in universal access on mine but found it anyway. , quick keys were alt, cmd and 8

• Advertisement
    This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement