Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 build up thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I was a little disappointed with how he was written in the first season; hopefully they make up for it in the second. Go Team Renly!

Yeah, I was a bit surprised about Renly when I read the books after seeing the series first. They really changed that character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He features more in the first TV series than in the first book, so I don't know how anyone can say that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Is it better to read the books before starting season 1? hearing great things about it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Re Renly: He comes across as a bit weak minded in season 1. I thought he seemed sharper and more like a leader in the first book. They seemed to trade his easy and at times overly casual charm for instead being malleable and slightly feeble.

Overature: Either way, you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

the feeble way they showed him in the series was to show he was gay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    the feeble way they showed him in the series was to show he was gay

Is he gay in the books?

I never got that.
    Unless he comes back at some stage in the later books as a big flaming homo, I've only read halfway through book 4, if you are spoiling further than this, let me know outside the spoiler tag, please

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Des wrote: »
    Is he gay in the books?

Very. But neither he nor his boyfriend are point of view characters, so all you get are hints. But considering their background role, the hints are frequent and not all that subtle. I don't remember them off the top of my head, but if you reread it with that in mind you'll wonder how you ever missed it.
    Re Renly: He comes across as a bit weak minded in season 1. I thought he seemed sharper and more like a leader in the first book.

I didn't get that from the book. I thought he was a bit frivolous and had the public likability factor going for him but not all that much substance behind it. Kind of a mirror image of Stannis. Few people like or want to follow Stannis because of his personality, but compared to his brothers he's more competent.
    He's gradually eroded and hollowed out by his association with his spiritual advisor, but I get the impression that he used to be at least moderately smart and his brothers weren't.
    With Renly, everyone wanted to follow him just because of his presence, but in terms of his vision as a leader he doesn't have much to contribute besides as a figurehead. If you could combine them into one person they might make a formidable king.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

I seen the first series and then read the books so I kinda had it in my head that he was gay from the way he was portrayed in the show.

Cannot wait for this to start, I'm actually thinking of reading the second book again as I read them pretty much straight after each other I get them muddled up. An also gonna watch the first series if I have the time!

Whose everyone's favourites? Tyrion has to be the best character ever! With Jon and Dani following closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Des wrote: »
    Is he gay in the books?

I never got that.

I thought there was a lot of hinting it throughout the books.

As Pepe said, he comes off as quite weak and feeble in the 1st series which was not the impression I got in the books where he was more like a younger Robert.

Either way, I can't wait for season 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I thought there was a lot of hinting it throughout the books.

As Pepe said, he comes off as quite weak and feeble in the 1st series which was not the impression I got in the books where he was more like a younger Robert.

Either way, I can't wait for season 2 :)
    Never really got this vibe off him. For a start, a younger Robert wouldn't have been anywhere near council meetings. I always got the impression that Robert was the warrior, Stannis was the sensible, by-the-book older brother and Renly was the younger brother trying to get a look in. Stannis was safe in the knowledge that he'd get Storm's End and Robert was King. Renly didn't really have much to look forward to in those terms so he had to rely on personality and intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

LadyHeart wrote: »
    I seen the first series and then read the books so I kinda had it in my head that he was gay from the way he was portrayed in the show.

Cannot wait for this to start, I'm actually thinking of reading the second book again as I read them pretty much straight after each other I get them muddled up. An also gonna watch the first series if I have the time!

Whose everyone's favourites? Tyrion has to be the best character ever! With Jon and Dani following closely!

Agree that Tyrion is a great character, in fairness I'm not bored with any of them yet. Brilliant the way he moves from one to the other
    Roll on April ................ hope it doesn't clash with my night classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was surprised when I read the books re: Renly being gay, never got that from the books at all I know him being married doesn't mean a lot but still I would be interested in where folks got that from in the books :confused:

Actually never mind I googled while typing this post.

He was clearly gay in the books, slow me never picked up on it :D

for those interested and willing to risk spoilers this site has quotes from the books on the subject http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/lorasrenly.html

Anyway wish I could fast forward season 2 so we get season 3 sooner!!!!!! 2 will be great no doubt, but 3 will be all kinds of epic if made,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'm really looking forward to Renlys arc in Season 2, he definitely looks more like the young version of Robert I pictured him as.

Knowing he was gay in the TV series made it easier to pick up the hints. They seemed obvious but given how detailed the books are I can see how easy it would be to overlook them af the same time. There were quite a few things I didn't pick up on until I wiki'd the books afterwards.

Also really looking forward to Stannis/Melisandre/Davos, and the Iron Islanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Gauge wrote: »

Also really looking forward to Stannis/Melisandre/Davos, and the Iron Islanders.

Played by our very own Liam Cummingham!

120209-ep14-davos-horse-450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Ah lads not copping Renly? The feckin Rainbow Guard was that not just a bit obvious??? :D

Played by our very own Liam Cummingham!

120209-ep14-davos-horse-450.jpg
    There are quite a few in the show. To my knowledge Littlefinger, Catelyn, Varys, Joffrey, Barristan Selmy, Yoren (Night's Watch recruiter), Hodor and now Davos are all played by Irish actors.

Most are northern Irish, I think Liam Cunningham and Jack Gleeson are Dubs though. A friend of mine was driving through Ranelagh recently and saw King Joffrey cycling past, he had to resist the urge to shunt him onto the kerb ;)

Oddly a week or so later I was wandering around Shoreditch in London and I saw the kid who plays Robert/Robin, the breast-feeding Lord of the Vale. A bigger hipster you will not see...

Most are northern Irish, I think Liam Cunningham and Jack Gleeson are Dubs though. A friend of mine was driving through Ranelagh recently and saw King Joffrey cycling past, he had to resist the urge to shunt him onto the kerb ;)

Oddly a week or so later I was wandering around Shoreditch in London and I saw the kid who plays Robert/Robin, the breast-feeding Lord of the Vale. A bigger hipster you will not see...

Aidan Gillen, Littlefinger, is from Drumcondra. Quality actor.

Pepe, your friend's not the first person to spot Joffrey/Jack Gleeson about the place, two of my housemates have seen him about Ranelagh and other places :D

Another interesting tidbit, someone I know got into a taxi in Cork and the guy who plays Mord the jailer in the Eyrie was the driver. He had a copy of the book on his dash as a conversation starter.

Aiden Gillen and Liam Cunningham are two of my favourite Irish actors, I am so excited to see Liam onscreen for season 2! I'm a fan of Carice Van Houten/Melisandre as well, she's a fantastic actress and stunning too.

One of the things that got me all excited was this interview with Liam Cunningham here where he discusses the character. Such a charming and charismatic man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Just read that they've changed Asha's name to Yara for the upcoming series, to avoid confusion with Osha, the wildling captured by the Starks in season one.

• Advertisement

Just read that they've changed Asha's name to Yara for the upcoming series, to avoid confusion with Osha, the wildling captured by the Starks in season one.

Yeah, I heard this a while back. I can kind of understand it. It's not something I'd gripe about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, a large part of me was hoping they'd just write the Iron Islands out of the TV series.

They'll have to lose some of the background / sub-plots to make it fit a 6/7 series run and the Iron Born are the dullest thread of the tapestry for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

Sleepy wrote: »
    TBH, a large part of me was hoping they'd just write the Iron Islands out of the TV series.

They'll have to lose some of the background / sub-plots to make it fit a 6/7 series run and the Iron Born are the dullest thread of the tapestry for me.

Yeah I hear ya, not mad about the Iron Born, just read through it as fast as possible. Have to say I love Theon though! I also hope they leave out the messing about Dany does as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

When is Season 2 starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

The iron born are integral to the plot tho,
    without theons sack of wintrefell the boltons wouldn't have their foot old and ramsay woulnt have bee legitimised

Mod note: Spoiler is for something after book 2.

Probably needs to be spoilered Tzar. This is just a buildup thread for the second season. Loads of people who'll look at this haven't read the books. :)

New video!

"Invitation to the set"

Again, featuring characters old and new.

Look at how tall Brienne is compared to the men around her :) I can't wait to see her onscreen, I have a good feeling that Gwendoline Christie is going to pull it off very well.

Also, check out Tyrion
    handling the wildfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Bought the 2nd book yesterday, gonna crack into it tonight, and hopefully get most of the way through in time for season 2. So excited about this returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Mate of mine plays one of the main characters in this.

Samwell Tarly, I believe it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Get autographs for us!!!

:pac:

Advertisement