Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

should my accountant be present at revenue audit?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I have an audit coming up with revenue and my accountant said he should be present at the audit, im just wondering if this is the norm or is he just trying to get extra charges from me?
    I hope this is not against forum rules to ask this in here.
    Apologies if it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

konman wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I have an audit coming up with revenue and my accountant said he should be present at the audit, im just wondering if this is the norm or is he just trying to get extra charges from me?
    I hope this is not against forum rules to ask this in here.
    Apologies if it is.

Well if you and your accountant are both fully happy that there's nothing untoward in your records or how you run the business, there may well be no need i.e. nothing to hide nothing to fear!

Generally though the advisor who prepared the return that's being audited will be present for the opening interview, and particularly if there's a disclosure to be made. The auditor may also want to see the agents working papers, which link your books & records to the final accounts and the returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It depends.

If it's a client who prepares all their own returns, they are happy they have all the back up for them and there is nothing to raise a flag and if the client is happy and comfortable to meet the Revenue Auditor on their own, then no problem.

If the bookkeeper or accountants prepares the returns, the client mentions to the accountant there might be some cash wages undisclosed or undeclared sales, then you would be best to have your accountant with you for the voluntary disclosure.

Have also seen clients just get nervous, panicked at the mention of Revenue, not sure what to expect or what to do at a Revenue audit and want the accountant there to hold their hand so to speak. Others feel so inconvenienced at having a Revenue audit they just want the accountant there to do the work for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Thanks for your replys.
    No there is nothing to declare, all is good as far as the accountant can see.
    I think ill have him there for the opening interview and hopefully he wont be needed after that.

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abibomar

how did it go man?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

abibomar wrote: »
    how did it go man?

Hi Abibomar, it is not ok to ask the OP how his Revenue Audit went and digging up old threads, if you are curious as you have your own Revenue Audit coming up, why not setup your own thread and ask the question to the forum I'm sure people here will be more than happy telling you what they went through.

I'm locking this thread now as the OP got his original question answered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement