Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you work in the USA with ACA?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi i'm focusing on becoming a chartered accountant someway and just wondering can i qualify with ACA and then try and get work in the USA later if i choose to go there?

If not, could anyone suggest which is more recognisable in the USA? ACCA? I would hate to be stuck for 3+ years in one firm doing ACA and then my qualification is not recognised in the USA. I browsed online but answers always seem to differ and would love an answer with someone who knows. Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 13 Verified rep Chartered Accountants Ireland: Careers Team

Hi there, Chartered Accountants Ireland is the only Irish or UK body to have a Mutual Recognition Agreement in place with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, which is the equivalent to the Chartered body (not to be confused with CPA Ireland) and is the most widely recognised in the USA. Therefore the qualification you gain here in Ireland would enable you to work in the USA.

If you don't find the idea of three years in one firm appealing, there is also the Flexible Option, which does not involve a training contract and allows you train in different companies. If you would like more information on this, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mackers87

So, for anyone who trains in the UK under the English and Welsh, or Scottish Chartered bodies - is their qualification not recognised in the US?

That sound's a bit hard to believe. I'm not saying it's wrong, I would just be quite surprised.

• Company Representative Posts: 13 Verified rep Chartered Accountants Ireland: Careers Team

They may be recognised as accountancy qualifications, but not in the same way as under a Mutual Recognition Agreement.

From the AICPA website:

"International Reciprocity

Through mutual recognition agreements (MRAs), qualified professional accountants from other countries can practice in the United States without having to completely re-credential. If you are a member of one of the following organizations:

Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA)
    Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA)
    Hong Kong Institite of Certified Public Accountants (HKCPA)
    Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
    Instituto Mexicano De Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
    New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (NZICA)"

What do you want to do in the US?

An MBA or Masters in Finance from a decent university might be more relevant.

CIMA and the AICPA offer a Global Chartered Management Accountant designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rhinos1

Dont swallow the CAI line
    Chartered accountancy ireland (ACA) is not recognised anywhere bar the big 4 firms in the USA.
    CPA is the qualification everyone accepts
    its pretty pointless studying CAI if you are going to live in the states, it only entitles you to a minor exemption , you still have to pass a 3 hour exam IQEX exam that deals with various USA Accountancy issues- and become a member of the AICPA(COST $350 ) and pay annual CAI membership of(300- 565euro) , to maintain the qualification

Where as the full CPA EXAM takes just 6 hours and you become eligible to apply to become a CPA in individual states.THIS CANNOT BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU , UNLIKE THE CAI WHICH DEEMS PEOPLE "STRUCK OFF" if fees are 4 months late
    By doing the CPA exam you are free from pointless fees to the unrecognised CAI and do not even have to join AICPA to become a CPA at state level.
    State membership can be bi or tri-annual , working out very cheaply indeed giving annual cost of from 150 euro equivalent, even more importantly your USA employer will willingly pay this , there isnt a snowballs chance in hell of them paying CAI fees which they rightly regard as unnecessary in the USA.
    Prior to returning You can join readily AICPA if you wish , indeed the MRA would enable you to join CAI if you wish-small exam on irish law etc needed , whilst having to pay membership of both(annual cost 565 euro +$350 per annum
    Best advice if going to USA
    1-Get sylabus books via Barnes and Noble for CPA EXAM
    2- STUDY , assuming you have Accounting in college , only new stuff is non profit /Governmantal accounting and of course tax
    3-Book test----its multiple choice, in many locations, you can sit in parts so re testing after 30 days is possible , rather than annual wait in Ireland
    4 Pass and with some accounting or equivalent experience you will be awarded a state certificate or Licence---a cert will allow you to be called CPA although not practise, which suits most people
    Citizenship is not required to either take the exam or become a CPA
    DIFFERENT STATES HAVE VARIOUS RULES, RESEARCH ONLINE ON EASIEST ONE TO JOIN
    As is states at begining , if you intend living and are entitled to work in USA , do not waste 3 years pursuing a qualification that is of no use to you
    Best Wishes

• Advertisement
Advertisement