Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate Hedgeserv interview

• 04-06-2013 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have an interview for a graduate fund accountant position with Hedgeserv. Just wondering has anybody any experience with this type of interview or any words of wisdom they could share?

Any help at all would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Many years ago! Just relax, there are not going to expect you to be able to tell them all about equalisation debits and credits but they will likely test your basic knowledge of double entry accounting, the ideas of accruals and prepayments, maybe that you have an idea as to what an investment fund is and the parties who are involved...and their general roles (should get all of that from a brief internet search). After that it'll likely just be based on your personality etc....can't expect the world from someone with no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucky624

Hey, I had my interview yesterday! Have you heard anything from them yet? How did it go? They asked me some DR/CR questions! The interview wasn't that hard' good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

Hey I got called up for an interview for Thursday. Did they mention how many positions they are looking to fill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I applied for the grad positions in cork 1.5weeks ago and have heard nothing back.
    How long did it take for hedgeserv to respond to you ?

I've a 2.1 fin & econs, but barely touched any accounting in 2 & 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucky624

I applied for the grad positions in cork 1.5weeks ago and have heard nothing back.
    How long did it take for hedgeserv to respond to you ?

I've a 2.1 fin & econs, but barely touched any accounting in 2 & 3rd year.

It took them 3 weeks or so to get back to me. Did u attach your academic results for each year? They didn't mention how many positions they're looking to fill.

• Advertisement

I didbt attack the actual result document from my Uni. But I stated all my results.

I was going to give them a follow up call, but might hold on till next week.

So anyone hear anything back yet?

My interview went fine but I got the strange impression that there weren't any immediate positions that need to be filled.

One of my interviewers seemed disinterested or at the very least distracted and didn't want to be there. At the end when I asked when will I hear back from them or whether there will a second interview they just kinda shrugged and said that it was up to the HR dept. :confused:

Strange set-up.... Almost makes me wonder if the HR guys are just messing about and giving themselves work to do by interviewing candidates for positions that may or may not exist!

Still haven't heard anything back, I spoke to some recruiter and he said there's a massive recruitment drive from hedgeserv. So you never know. The job could be yours and interviewing you is just a procedure.

A mate of mine said he did an MCQ test for them, first I've heard.

So I got my final results this week. Should I send hedgeserv an email as to what it's or leave it ?

Did anyone hear back from them ?

So I got my final results this week. Should I send hedgeserv an email as to what it's or leave it ?

Did anyone hear back from them ?

I'd follow up with an email with your results while asking them for an update on the status of your application. You've been left waiting long enough at this point!

I got my rejection just there. Bit surprised actually. I asked for feedback based on my interview but they just say that they found a "more suitable candidate for the role". Getting into funds has proven trickier than I first imagined...

• Advertisement

I'd follow up with an email with your results while asking them for an update on the status of your application. You've been left waiting long enough at this point!

I got my rejection just there. Bit surprised actually. I asked for feedback based on my interview but they just say that they found a "more suitable candidate for the role". Getting into funds has proven trickier than I first imagined...

I believe that Sumi Trust (used to be Diawa) are advertising jobs at the moment, was in trhe business section of The Irish Times on Friday, might be worth looking into

Yea just sent my last email to them. I don't expect to hear back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Hey Guys
    Applied myself last week. Any update since June on how long it takes them to reply?
    Thanx
    RA

Hey Guys
    Applied myself last week. Any update since June on how ling it takes them to reply?#
    Thanx
    RA

Almost took them 2 weeks in my case. They aren't the quickest in terms of replying to applications. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Anerak

Have any of ye been called for a second round interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Hhavent even been called for 1st round yet.
    Made the original application on 19th Aug.
    Is anyone else waiting?

They're a joke to be honest.

I sent my CV about 4 - 56 times and they didn't reply, I also did to state street as well. Its not my CV as its well prepared.

At least a rejection letter would be nice.

My CV had been sent in about 6 weeks before I was called for interview.

I also think that they have a strong preference for someone who did pure accounting, e.g I barely did accounting in college. Actually only did it in 1st year.

But I specialized in finance and I'm mainly interested in financial instrument and portfolio management which I thought would be a selling point.

I thought wrong.

Ya my degree would have been mainly accounting but I would have thought that your degree would be more specific to a fund role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Anyone any information on what it is like to work for Hedgeserv...?

Hours?
    Atmosphere?
    People etc...

Dublin Office.

Any info would be super.

Cheers Oldspice.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stonedsour

are you a grad? if so i would suggest going down big 4 route if possible, if not try another practice if you plan on doing exams. If you see yourself long term in funds then worth applying for a position, depending on what team you get you will be worked hard. There is no overtime policy in place and you have to work off the US calender for holidays etc. There are many fund companies operating here now so do your research before deciding what company to join..

stonedsour wrote: »
    are you a grad? if so i would suggest going down big 4 route if possible, if not try another practice if you plan on doing exams. If you see yourself long term in funds then worth applying for a position, depending on what team you get you will be worked hard. There is no overtime policy in place and you have to work off the US calender for holidays etc. There are many fund companies operating here now so do your research before deciding what company to join..

That is not all techinically always the case in terms of holidays, will depend on the jurisdiction which the fund manager and the fund itself operates.

The statement above is a little too broad, will always depend on the type of funds that you work on and the markets in which they operate.

Also in terms of overtime there are a few companies that do pay overtime to junior staff if it's applicable. Remember that not every single employer in the funds industry make you work 70-80 hours a week, scaremongering mostly by people who have had bad experiences (granted there are a few).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Billy2cents

Anerak wrote: »
    My CV had been sent in about 6 weeks before I was called for interview.

Hey Anerak,

How did the interview go for you? I'm just writing an application for their trainee position at the moment. I was wondering what kind of impression you got of the company??

Thanks
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Androma1984

Lucky624 wrote: »
    Hey, I had my interview yesterday! Have you heard anything from them yet? How did it go? They asked me some DR/CR questions! The interview wasn't that hard' good luck :)

Hi,

Could you shed some more light on the double entry areas they test on in the interview process and the level required. Is it specifically related to funds or just general accounting etc. Any examples would be appreciated.

Were you successful in your application? Also, what is a reasonable salary for starting off in the company nowadays in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HeffMc

Chello Everybody,

Applied for the role of junior business analyst a couple months ago. Went for the interview in the Dublin headquarters. The MCQ is comprised of ten questions on one piece of paper. You're given ten mins to do it before the interview but it shouldnt take you that long. Mostly basic stuff but it has a few curve balls thrown in so really do brush up since its 70% to pass.

Did the interview with the department head and the team manager. They were sound enough, not too intense with their questions. Pretty much a standard interview. Told me they'd be in touch to let me know by a week later but never got back to me, even after I sent them a follow up email which is pretty unprofessional and reflects very badly on the middle management. Grand if I lost out to some other chump but it would've been nice of them to get back to me like they said they would.

Office atmosphere is a little tense compared to other places I've worked but the company culture is smart casual in clothing so tis not all bad.

Anyhow, best of luck to anyone going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 financeboy

Has anyone else had this McQ? I have it soon and would mind if anyone can shed a bit more light on the Questions asked?

Advertisement