Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the RTPI dependable?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I don't bother with it anymore,completely unreliable for the 13.

Back to just walking to the stop and hoping one turns up,less infuriating then being blatantly lied to!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

http://www.transportforireland.ie/send-feedback

theres a feedback form on the transport for ireland page, I give dublin bus both barrels on there every time they take the p**s with their RTPI chicanery. God knows if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

'Lovely white icing on a moldy, rotten cake' is the most entertaining and encompassing comment that has been made about the RTPI system on the website. At least that's what the staff in the Corpo thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Fergus

The 61 inbound at Ballyboden every morning seems to be predicted for about 7:24, but this gets revised to 7:17 about 2-3 minutes before it arrives: kind of useless when you have presumably already left to walk to the stop for 7:20.

It's like the reality-based prediction kicks in far too late to be useful, and the timetable-based one is on the bad side of wrong. Disappointing when you consider this stop is only 5-10 mins from the terminus, and the bus itself consistently arrives at 7:17 anyway.

Is there a reason why the actual current position of the buses cannot be provided [at least for people with internet access]? That would be more useful than time estimates for someone judging when to leave home for the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

was walking up the quay by the Ha'penny bridge in Dublin last night. sat a brand new shiny rtpi sign about a yard away from a bus stop for a 39 or 38 bus stop that was no longer in use and no other bus served the stop....

The stop was just below the ha'penny bridge on the right bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

was walking up the quay by the Ha'penny bridge in Dublin last night. sat a brand new shiny rtpi sign about a yard away from a bus stop for a 39 or 38 bus stop that was no longer in use and no other bus served the stop....

The stop was just below the ha'penny bridge on the right bank.
    That stop has been moved back closer to O'Connell Bridge, as for dependable I would think the practice of turning off sections of it during peak hours when many buses are delayed or told to pass stops out of service to make up time surely defeats the purpose of the signs?

Are buses going to be marked as "late/delayed" on the signs or "diverted to maintain headway"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That stop has been moved back closer to O'Connell Bridge, as for dependable I would think the practice of turning off sections of it during peak hours when many buses are delayed or told to pass stops out of service to make up time surely defeats the purpose of the signs?

Are buses going to be marked as "late/delayed" on the signs or "diverted to maintain headway"?

The brand new shiny stainless rtpi sign is wasting my taxes so. Why the feic wasn't this thought about before it was wired up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The brand new shiny stainless rtpi sign is wasting my taxes so. Why the feic wasn't this thought about before it was wired up?
    There were probably plans afoot to move the bus stop before the shiny new RTPI pole and sign were placed at the scene:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would imagine there are still going to be further city bus stop changes in the future - there are still more network direct phases to be implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Qqh50.jpg

They have been testing the RTPI on piecemeal basis over the past month or so in Cork City Centre and along the No.205 route.

managed to get a pic tonight just to throw it up here. it all seems pretty accurate so far. Any Ideas when it will be rolled out in full?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can access the Real time info for all Bus Eireann stops and routes on their website (badly designed) here:

http://www.whensmybus.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

bk wrote: »
    You can access the Real time info for all Bus Eireann stops and routes on their website (badly designed) here:

http://www.whensmybus.ie/

yeah i was using that a little bit for my route (ballincollig), but it hasnt worked on the site for the past 3 weeks or so :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aaaaargh - bloody Dublin Bus and their stupid RTPI system. Looked at the app today, there was a bus due in 56 mins (they only come about every hour), checked it frequently until 10 mins to go, when I went to the bus stop. Checked it again a few times until it was due in 2 minutes.

Waited, and waited, and waited.

Then POOF - there it was, gone. Just disappeared off the system :confused:

How in hell can they be allegedly tracking a bus for nearly an hour, and then it just disappears into thin air? Did aliens abduct it?

A system that only half (or worse, three-quarters) works is worse than no system at all.

Anyone know if there's anywhere to leave feedback (aka a rant) that might actually be read?

:mad::mad::mad:

(Sorry, by the way, if this counts as dragging up an old thread, but it looked like the most appropriate place to let off steam)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

Was getting the no 9 bus from Ballymun Road to Walkinstown. Last cross-city bus of the night. Usually takes about 15 minutes to reach the stop from the terminus. Bus left at 11 and I was at the stop around 11.08. RTPI screen shows bus due in 5 minutes, 4, 3, 2 and then disappears.

Waited about ten minutes while checking the bus stops further along the route on my phone to see if it was due but nothing appearing. Ended up getting a bus in to town and having to get a taxi the rest of the way.

Was this basically a case of the service not being run but RTPI "guessing" when the bus will be due?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Web-RTPI down this pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The DB App is working ok if you can download that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

lil5 wrote: »
    Web-RTPI down this pm?

They announced it would be down for a while today for a system upgrade.

Thanks all.

Read about the downtime (11-12) on Twitter after I posted.

Was trying DB website and Next Bus Dublin app and had no luck.

When I got to bus stop the RTPI was also down.

Just as I was looking at DB app (which showed times) the RTPI display also came alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

KD345 wrote: »
    They announced it would be down for a while today for a system upgrade.
    Systems that the public are dependent on should be patched/upgraded out of hours. The system was unavailable yesterday at close to evening rush hour.

But in general personally I've found the system quite reliable. The odd disappearing bus, but considering the state of most systems the taxpayers fund I'm very pleased with the results. It's a missed opportunity not pushing the website url in a big way, many people with smartphones have no idea they can get the data on their phone.

hmmm wrote: »
    Systems that the public are dependent on should be patched/upgraded out of hours.

According to dublinbusnews on Twitter from yesterday:
    "... the upgrade needs to be done while buses are in service to make sure the system picks up the info after the upgrade is completed"

The RTPI downtime for the upgrade was mentioned on Twitter to last "from approx 11 to 12".

They should have communicated again once it became clear the system was going to be down for longer. And not just on Twitter, but also on the website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement