Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are all Maynooth trains stopping at Pearse

Options
  • 04-11-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

My daughter has two weeks work to do south of Lansdowne station and was planning on getting the 8-ish o'clock train which used to run all the way through to Bray. While all DARTs are running to Grand Canal Dock that train now terminates at Pearse. Why not Grand Canal Dock?

Any idea why this is? Is there any operational reason, or is it just poor customer service (again)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Doesn't explain why Darts go to Grand Canal Dock and DMUs don't (does it? did I miss something?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

n97 mini wrote: »
    Doesn't explain why Darts go to Grand Canal Dock and DMUs don't (does it? did I miss something?)
    Having the commuters running to Grand Canal Dock would probably clog up the station there too much and bring the service to a complete standstill as not only do thay have to stop there but there is a procedure for going in the opposite direction which takes a certain time and it is probably not possible to cater for all trains and darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Capacity I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Dont all or most of the Maynooth trains terminate at Pearse anyway?

Nothing to do with bad customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Capacity I would imagine

Yeah they have the big sidetrack thing between Pearse and Grand Canal for tunrarounds.

There's no need to run the intercity services to grand canal really.

And to be honest its only about a 5 minute walk between Pearse and Grand Canal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

RichieD wrote: »
    No, some (used to) go on to Bray which I said in the first line of the first post on this thread.
    And to be honest its only about a 5 minute walk between Pearse and Grand Canal anyway.
    Did you read my original post at all? She's working south of Lansdowne, so a 10 minute walk from Lansdowne has become a 25 minute walk from Pearse, instead of a 20 minute walk that DART customers get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

whats a DMU?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

DMU = Diesel Multiple Unit.

Simple answer to the OPs question is lack of capacity - the Maynooth/Drogheda trains turn around either in Pearse or in the sidings between Pearse and Grand Canal Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

No, some (used to) go on to Bray which I said in the first line of the first post on this thread.
    Did you read my original post at all? She's working south of Lansdowne, so a 10 minute walk from Lansdowne has become a 25 minute walk from Pearse, instead of a 20 minute walk that DART customers get.

So essentially what you are complaining about is a 5 minute walk?

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    DMU = Diesel Multiple Unit.

oh we have them do we? Like they have in the Uk then?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

corktina wrote: »
    oh we have them do we? Like they have in the Uk then?:rolleyes:

All IE passenger trains, apart from DART, Enterprise and Dub-Cork CAF Mk4 sets are DMUs even the 22000 ICRs.

Each carraige in a DMU has its own engine and transmission.

you think I dont know that?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

corktina wrote: »
    you think I dont know that?:D

So what exactly is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...And to be honest its only about a 5 minute walk between Pearse and Grand Canal anyway.

Its 10~15 mins, and its 20~25 mins from Pearse to Lansdowne.

I get the train from Coolmine to Grand Canal sometimes and the direct one used to save a lot of time. I don't think there is one in the other direction. When you consider you've got to walk to the station and from it, then wait for the train, and perhaps a change to the dart. It can add another 30mins or more to the journey.

As a result its usually quicker (for me) to cycle from Coolmine to Grand canal. The train isn't that nice, usually don't get a seat, usually overcrowded. No shelter from weather at stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

What about just waiting for a following DART at Pearse, and getting that to GCD? Seems to be possible without too much of a wait according to the journey planner, link.

(Maynooth service gets into Pearse @ 8:45, following DART @ 8:51, arr. Grand Canal Dock @ 8:53)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

most maynoth trains terminate in pearse with the few exceptions and as pearse has a yard which can stable 4 trains it make more sense to terminate in pearse .
    say it ran to grand canal like you want he would have to wait for available platform at grand canal,on arrival switch ends and head back to pearse when a platform becomes available, the switch ends again to head in to pearse yard while blocking up pearse again while waiting for the signal to clear to cross the road to the yard.
    or just terminate in pearse and let passengers get a dart which is probably not to far behind.

Advertisement