Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest PAYG data & call roaming option

Options
  • 15-07-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm with 48 who do me fine for calls in Ireland and abroad for pittance money by comparison to the other operators.

The trouble is, they don't offer data roaming when abroad, and that is something I would really find useful as wi-fi just doesn't cut it... especially when I'm in the middle of a field and need data, as you do.

Which provider does the cheapest PAYG option that I can just use for calling Ireland when abroad and for roaming maybe at a flat rate per day for a couple of mb? I won't need huge data requirements or anything.

Ideally this would be PAYG because I don't need a contract as I'm not abroad that often. Getting a new SIM and number wouldn't be a big deal to me as I'm fine with swapping them over.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3 as I've heard a rumour you get access to Bitbuzz wifi in Ireland and the UK included.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Three Like Home is a godsend abroad.. was over in UK at Glastonbury and for a few days after.. as long as stay on their 3 network roaming, there is no roaming data charges. Same with roaming any country that have 3 as an active operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Hi all,

I'm with 48 who do me fine for calls in Ireland and abroad for pittance money by comparison to the other operators.

The trouble is, they don't offer data roaming when abroad, and that is something I would really find useful as wi-fi just doesn't cut it... especially when I'm in the middle of a field and need data, as you do.

Which provider does the cheapest PAYG option that I can just use for calling Ireland when abroad and for roaming maybe at a flat rate per day for a couple of mb? I won't need huge data requirements or anything.

Ideally this would be PAYG because I don't need a contract as I'm not abroad that often. Getting a new SIM and number wouldn't be a big deal to me as I'm fine with swapping them over.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3 as I've heard a rumour you get access to Bitbuzz wifi in Ireland and the UK included.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

It depends on where you are going, but Meteor have a roaming deal that works anywhere in Europe 99c for 50MB/day (for any days that you use mobile data). It works on any of their roaming partners, so you don't have to worry about falling off the network. You also get free incoming calls and 400 free-texts using the MyMeteor app. Be careful with Three or Vodafone - their roaming deals only work on their specific partner networks in specific countries and if you accidentally roam onto another network you pay the full rate. Meteor offers free WiFi on eircom hotspots in Ireland only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Basq wrote: »
    Three Like Home is a godsend abroad.. was over in UK at Glastonbury and for a few days after.. as long as stay on their 3 network roaming, there is no roaming data charges. Same with roaming any country that have 3 as an active operator.

How do you make certain that your phone doesn't roam onto another network when you're on the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RainyDay wrote: »
    How do you make certain that your phone doesn't roam onto another network when you're on the move?
    You can change Network selection to 'Manual', and then just choose '3 UK'.

Advertisement